TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-20-2013, 04:08 PM   #1
PDT816

Can't see recorded shows on 2nd Premiere

Sorry in advance if this has been answered before, but I didn't find it in a search (or I'm not sure what to search for)....

Have two Premeires in our household. Have an intermittent issue of not being able to see the recordings on the other TiVo. Instead, I'm getting a screen with the second Tivo's name, but it repeats the list of recordings already on the originating unit.

Also have two Series 2 units in the household and you can view their recordings just fine even when there's a problem between the two Premieres.
PDT816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:23 PM   #2
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDT816 View Post
Sorry in advance if this has been answered before, but I didn't find it in a search (or I'm not sure what to search for)....

Have two Premeires in our household. Have an intermittent issue of not being able to see the recordings on the other TiVo. Instead, I'm getting a screen with the second Tivo's name, but it repeats the list of recordings already on the originating unit.

Also have two Series 2 units in the household and you can view their recordings just fine even when there's a problem between the two Premieres.
Seeing one machine's programs listed for another machine does sound strange. Is your router assigning IP addresses using DHCP, or have you assigned fixed IP addresses (which some people advocate)? Check the IP addresses for the various TiVos to insure that they are all unique (and of course all on the same subnet).
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
PDT816

They have static IPs and everything is in order. The other one will work just fine even when the first is acting up.

Sent via my Moto X
Old 11-20-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
shamilian

Quote:
They have static IPs and everything is in order. The other one will work just fine even when the first is acting up.

Sent via my Moto X
This is typically a router/switch issue.

How are they connected?
Is anything filtering multicast packets ?
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:04 PM   #5
PDT816

I just double checked both units, and here is where it gets even stranger.

Both units are running TiVo Software version ****746. Both are have HDUI menus enabled.

The unit in the den (the one that is rendering it's own content instead of the second Tivo) is displaying the incorrect listings via an HD interface.

The unit in the bedroom (currently working properly) will display the den's inventory, but via a SD menu.

Changing the Den's unit to display SD menus also fixes the problem. Change it back to an HD interface, it's whacked up again.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:23 PM   #6
PDT816

Took some pics so you can see that I'm not entirely crazy....

1. HD display of Den's inventory in "My Shows"
2. HD display of Den attempting to show 2nd TiVo's (Kevin) inventory. Repopulated with it's own content.
3. Den with Standard Definition menus enabled and working properly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg denmyshows.jpg (28.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg den_kevin.jpg (25.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg den_Kevin_SD.jpg (19.5 KB, 17 views)
Old 11-20-2013, 08:26 PM   #7
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Reboot both tivos, power cycle all of your networking equipment.

Do they work any better/different with dhcp?

Are both Premiers connected directly to the router?

If so, try different ports on the router...

Running latest firmware on router?

Does either one of the Premiers connect through a switch?

Have a spare switch to swap in?

Switches (and the switches built into routers) buffer packets... if its starting to go, it might be f'ing them up, altering them or sending em to the wrong ports, etc.
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:31 PM   #8
PDT816

It's not the network. The router neither knows or cares if the TiVos are using HD or SD menus

Sent via my Moto X
Old 11-21-2013, 11:38 AM   #9
L David Matheny

Quote:
I just double checked both units, and here is where it gets even stranger.

Both units are running TiVo Software version ****746. Both are have HDUI menus enabled.

The unit in the den (the one that is rendering it's own content instead of the second Tivo) is displaying the incorrect listings via an HD interface.

The unit in the bedroom (currently working properly) will display the den's inventory, but via a SD menu.

Changing the Den's unit to display SD menus also fixes the problem. Change it back to an HD interface, it's whacked up again.
If the same unit lists different shows using HD menus from those listed using SD menus, that would surely prove that it's a TiVo software issue. I hope someone at TiVo will take note of this.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:30 PM   #10
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
If the same unit lists different shows using HD menus from those listed using SD menus, that would surely prove that it's a TiVo software issue. I hope someone at TiVo will take note of this.
Well, my thinking was that if slightly corrupted data was being presented to two different sets of code (Linux for sd, adobe air for HD), you might get differing results...

Op didn't even respond to the suggestion to reboot his boxes, so we'll probably never know the solution to his unique problem.
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:00 PM   #11
PDT816

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgnad View Post
Well, my thinking was that if slightly corrupted data was being presented to two different sets of code (Linux for sd, adobe air for HD), you might get differing results...

Op didn't even respond to the suggestion to reboot his boxes, so we'll probably never know the solution to his unique problem.
I did respond. It's not the network.

Sent via my Moto X
Old 11-21-2013, 05:15 PM   #12
shamilian

I have run into what I think this bug might be...

For me what happens when this bug occurs is that after I visit a remote DVR and return to the local myshows the local TiVo forgets to clear the top portion of the screen, it leaves the DVR icon and the remote TiVo name (but it is really on the my shows screen)

I can clear it by visiting a third TiVo.

I think it is just that the top of the screen, the part with a DVR icon or the discovery bar gets out of sync.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:05 PM   #13
PDT816

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamilian View Post
I have run into what I think this bug might be...

For me what happens when this bug occurs is that after I visit a remote DVR and return to the local myshows the local TiVo forgets to clear the top portion of the screen, it leaves the DVR icon and the remote TiVo name (but it is really on the my shows screen)

I can clear it by visiting a third TiVo.

I think it is just that the top of the screen, the part with a DVR icon or the discovery bar gets out of sync.
This isn't my problem. If you look at the second pic I attached, the listing clearly has icons that display the copyright icon on shows that can not be transferred. It's not an issue of having the wrong header on the UI and the problem doesn't occur when going back from another TiVo's listing.

It seems to think it's looking at the other TiVo, it's just populating the show listings with it's own content. Select a show, and it will give you the menu option of transferring the program to itself.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:53 AM   #14
unitron

Quote:
... Select a show, and it will give you the menu option of transferring the program to itself.
Which would be fascinating to watch happen, except for that whole making the universe implode thing.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 06:36 PM   #15
shamilian

Quote:
This isn't my problem. If you look at the second pic I attached, the listing clearly has icons that display the copyright icon on shows that can not be transferred. It's not an issue of having the wrong header on the UI and the problem doesn't occur when going back from another TiVo's listing.

It seems to think it's looking at the other TiVo, it's just populating the show listings with it's own content. Select a show, and it will give you the menu option of transferring the program to itself.
Any chance you created a loop in your network ?
Maybe the Tivo in the Den is seeing itself through a loop in your network.

Check that the "Tivo Service Level" variable in the system info settings. I think the number should be unique.

The SD menus don't use the same mechanism to read the list from the other Tivo. A while back (previous OS) I was having problems with multcast packets not being forwarded by the router. I was getting the old SD interface instead of the HD interface when I went into the remote DVR.