TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-31-2013, 10:37 AM   #1
TooMuchTime

List of previous software versions

I need to know what the previous software versions are for the Premiere and on what date the updates occurred. Any help would be appreciated.

I also need to know if there is a way to back-level the version, if it becomes necessary to do so.
TooMuchTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:05 AM   #2
jrtroo
User

Why do you need this?
Old 10-31-2013, 11:52 AM   #3
TooMuchTime

I am having some issues with the Premiere, namely pixelation, skipping and glitching on channels, etc. I have replaced the CableCard and that did not help. I have a Comcast DVR and none of this happens on that. I just got the Fall 2013 update - no help. I want to know on which specific dates and with what software versions the box was updated since December of last year. I would think this is something TiVo would be able to provide with a search on their site.

I guess the second part is the most important. If I can't back-level to a specific software version then there is no point.

I've tried just about everything and the issue points to the TiVo box, not to Comcast or Comcast equipment.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:06 PM   #4
jrtroo
User

You cannot. Sounds like you have a bad hard drive.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:38 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

I concur. Sometimes a software update can expose a failing hard drive because it's installed to a portion of the drive that's been sitting unused since the last update.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:32 PM   #6
TooMuchTime

@Dan203 -- I know there are instructions on how to upgrade a hard drive in a TiVo. Do those apply to the Premiere as well?
Old 11-03-2013, 04:59 PM   #7
TooMuchTime

Okay. Here is the update.

Whenever I watch NFL RedZone HD with my TiVo Premiere connected, the screen will freeze, pause, or glitch (take your pick as to what you want to call it) for about 1 second, exactly every 60 seconds. This glitch will cause massive pixelation, sometimes lasting 1-3 seconds, when there is action on the screen. When it is just the static RedZone screen (Monday thru Saturday) all you see is the slight glitch lasting maybe 1 second. This does NOT happen on RedZone SD.

Today, I connected my Comcast DVR to the same TV that usually has the TiVo Premiere connected and I watched RedZone HD for 3 hours with not one single glitch or even one instance of pixelation. When I reconnected the TiVo, the glitching started within 60 seconds. If I change the channel to RedZone, the first instance of the glitch may happen with 10 seconds, within 30 seconds, or it may take all 60 seconds. Which means, this behavior is occurring ALL THE TIME whether or not I am viewing RedZone HD.

This tells me three things. It is NOT RedZone. It is NOT Comcast. It IS TiVo. I have run some of the KickStart commands to see it that would fix any hard drive or file system errors. First I ran KS 54 and the SMART check. That took about 4 hours. All tests passed and the glitch on RedZone HD remained. I then ran KS 57 and that took 3 hours. The TiVo box rebooted and the glitch on RedZone HD remained. When I tried to run KS 58 I just got the TiVo screen about installing software. I do not believe that it actually ran KS 58. However, according to Weaknees, KS 57 only differs from KS 58 by some form of rudimentary disk defrag. With these tests performed, I am inclined to believe that it is NOT the hard drive. I can not rule the hard drive out completely, but this behavior does not happen on any other channel I view. So, taking everything into consideration, it doesn't sound like a hard drive issue.

I was experiencing some pixelation on other channels but that stopped when software version 20.3.7.1a was installed. I remember that pixelation used to happen on my S3 whenever a new version was being downloaded. When the downloading stopped and the software installed, the pixelation disappeared. The same just happened with the new Fall software update.

I recorded some "footage" of RedZone and transferred it to my computer. When I ran it in Windows Media Player, the pixelation I has seen at specific instances did show, though sometimes not as bad.

Since the glitch happens every 60 seconds, it sounds like a buffer or cache is being filled and the glitch occurs because the buffer is full. It then gets dumped and the 60 second process starts all over again. However, this is not happening on any other channel and it happens whether the TiVo is on RedZone HD or not. I don't know what buffer or cache would be active for a specific channel if that channel was not active on one of the tuners.

I am at a loss as to why this behavior is occurring. This sounds to me like some software update took place and caused this to happen. I have had RedZone for 4 and a half years and have been using my Premiere for 3.5 of those. This current half year is the first time this glitching and pixelation have occurred.

Short of upgrading my hard drive to remove the possibility of it being the culprit, I'm stuck. I really don't want to spend $150 right now on a 2TB hard drive just to find out that this issue is not hard drive related. If anyone has an idea, I'm open to trying.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:12 AM   #8
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Is it really 60 seconds every time? If so, it sounds like somebody has introduced some sort of timed signal into your stream; one that causes the TiVo problems but not the Comcast DVR (not surprising if it was Comcast introducing the timing signal - they'll have code for their devices to ignore it.)

It's not buffer-filling related if it's every 60 seconds; there aren't any buffers that would be that accurate and that long-timed. It's not your disk if it's only on this one channel. Since other people aren't seeing it, I would guess it's your local franchise signal at issue.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:47 AM   #9
TooMuchTime

@CrispyCritter -- Yes, it is exactly every 60 seconds. I timed it with the stopwatch app on my cell phone. I start at the first instance of the glitch and then just press the Lap button when it glitches again. So there is a little inconsistency due to me having to press the Lap button at the proper time. The times are usually like this:

1st glitch - 0:00.000
2nd glitch - 0:59.383
3rd glitch - 1:59.340
4th glitch - 2:59.426

Which is close enough to being 60 seconds apart.

I know it's not a buffer or cache filling up, it just SEEMS like that. I could understand the introduction of the timed signal, which would explain why it happens even when RedZone is not active on either tuner. But why just go after RedZone HD? This doesn't happen on RedZone SD. And even if I went to Comcast with this problem, the mere fact that it doesn't occur on THEIR hardware would just allow them to say, "It ain't us!"

It's all rather strange and my brain is starting to hurt just trying to troubleshoot this mess. It's annoying since this did not happen in any previous year I've watched RedZone. Something changed this year and the only thing that seems to make sense is the TiVo software.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:53 PM   #10
moyekj

Check if RZ HD channel is CCI protected (Diagnostics page, look for non-zero CCI value). Then also check if the RZ SD channel is CCI protected. If the HD one has non-zero CCI and the SD one does not that might explain the difference and would make me suspicious that there is a CableCard related issue related to CCI protected channels.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:38 PM   #11
jrtroo
User

The TiVo initiated tests are only really indicative of a problem if the drive fails. It is not uncommon that a drive passes these but still has a problem. I would remove and use the manufacturer test to get a definitive result.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:08 AM   #12
TooMuchTime

@moyekj — The CCI reading for both RedZone HD (Ch. 785) and RedZone SD (Ch. 427) is zero. Damn! Though we had something there!
Old 11-05-2013, 01:09 AM   #13
TooMuchTime

@jrtroo — I'll schedule time and run them.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:23 AM   #14
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
The TiVo initiated tests are only really indicative of a problem if the drive fails. It is not uncommon that a drive passes these but still has a problem. I would remove and use the manufacturer test to get a definitive result.
I agree with your general statement, but there's no way that a bad disk is causing the problems here. Only one channel is being affected - the disk is not channel sensitive at all!
Old 11-05-2013, 12:09 PM   #15
TooMuchTime

@CrispyCritter — I've always held to that belief, mostly because it is a single channel and it happens exactly every 60 seconds. If it's hardware related, I would suspect the CableCard. But it's been exchanged. If it is Comcast's signal, then why isn't EVERYONE with Comcast, a TiVo Premiere, and RedZone HD complaining? Having those 3 would be a somewhat sizable chunk of users, I would think. And they would make a lot of noise.

There are very few troubleshooting steps remaining for me to try. I'll do the HD tests only to say I've done it and be done with any questions surrounding the HD. I can't back-level to a previous version of the TiVo software which makes no sense at all. If there's a problem, you should be able to force a download and install of a previous version just to see if that solves your problem. I don't have another TiVo to test with so I'm stuck there. The last troubleshooting step I can think of is to have Comcast change the channel for RedZone HD. And since that ain't gonna happen, I may never get this resolved.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #16
steve614
what ru lookin at?

This idea may not even be possible, but...

We know that TiVo uses two partitions for the software.
If you haven't run the Kickstart for emergency software install, the last version of the software could still reside in the other partition.

Now my question for those with more knowledge than I, is it possible to use WinMFS (or one of the other 3rd party apps) to force the Tivo to boot from the other partition?

That would be the only way I can think of that would let you get a previous version of the software back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:26 PM   #17
Dan203
Super Moderator

Usually they'll do some upgrade to DB, which is in the common MFS portion of the drive, during the update which makes it impossible for the old software to run even if you can get it to boot from the alternate partition.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:59 PM   #18
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuchTime View Post
@CrispyCritter — I've always held to that belief, mostly because it is a single channel and it happens exactly every 60 seconds. If it's hardware related, I would suspect the CableCard. But it's been exchanged. If it is Comcast's signal, then why isn't EVERYONE with Comcast, a TiVo Premiere, and RedZone HD complaining? Having those 3 would be a somewhat sizable chunk of users, I would think. And they would make a lot of noise.
As I said, my guess is that it is your local franchise doing something with the signal every 60 seconds, for the reason you state (too many people would be affected if it were national.) Local franchises do all sorts of strange things to get things to work; this could be a debugging signal they left on. Or it could even be more local - some device on your street isn't functioning correctly, and is "beeping" every minute on one specific frequency; one that just happens to be the frequency corresponding to your RedZone channel.

It may be worthwhile you getting your cable company involved to look at this last possibility - they've got the equipment to tell if something strange is happening to the signal.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #19
jrtroo
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuchTime View Post
There are very few troubleshooting steps remaining for me to try. I'll do the HD tests only to say I've done it and be done with any questions surrounding the HD.
Exactly why I suggested to do this. Have you called your local comcast affiliate to inquire? Your individual channel scenario sounds familiar to some older reports, though nothing recently.

You may want to try the comcast cares executive line to get a top-down diagnosis.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:35 PM   #20
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Usually they'll do some upgrade to DB, which is in the common MFS portion of the drive, during the update which makes it impossible for the old software to run even if you can get it to boot from the alternate partition.
Does that mean in one of the partitions from 11 up?

And what does DB stand for?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:48 PM   #21
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
This idea may not even be possible, but...

We know that TiVo uses two partitions for the software.
If you haven't run the Kickstart for emergency software install, the last version of the software could still reside in the other partition.

Now my question for those with more knowledge than I, is it possible to use WinMFS (or one of the other 3rd party apps) to force the Tivo to boot from the other partition?

That would be the only way I can think of that would let you get a previous version of the software back.
Whether it will help or not is a separate question, but either Kickstart 51 or 52 is supposed to revert you to the alternate set of boot partitions.

At least on S3s and older.

You could check weaKnees Kick Start page and see if they say anything about using KS codes on S4s.

And WinMFS has a feature that let's you see which partition trio is being used and switch to the other if you want, but again, that's for S3s and older.

There's something that got changed in the S4 drive structure that makes all of the previous TiVo-wrangling software useless for anything newer than a Series 3.

Just for completeness, if your TiVo is an S1, S2, or S3, then it's safe to look at the drive with WinMFS running on XP Service Pack 3, or Vista or 7 (Don't know if 8 borks WinMFS or not) and you can click on mfsinfo after selecting the drive and see if it's booting from partitions 2, 3, and 4 (which is what option 1 of fixboot will set it to) or from partitions 5, 6, and 7 (which is what fixboot option 2 will set it to).

But there have been reports of people taking a look at their S4 drives with WinMFS and the drives not working after that until a new image is "Xeroxed" to it from another same model S4 drive, and as far as using WinMFS to actually change anything about a Series 4 drive, don't even think about trying.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:37 AM   #22
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Does that mean in one of the partitions from 11 up?

And what does DB stand for?
DB = Database

My point is there are things unrelated to the software itself that are upgraded during the process and even if you could get it to boot from the old software partition it would probably fail and/or f*ck everything up.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:28 AM   #23
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
DB = Database

My point is there are things unrelated to the software itself that are upgraded during the process and even if you could get it to boot from the old software partition it would probably fail and/or f*ck everything up.
I agree. TiVO has never allowed anyone to go back a version AFAIK, aside from a complete rewrite of the disk.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:31 AM   #24
tomhorsley

I'd be perfectly willing to wipe my disk for the opportunity to go back to before 20.3 showed up!
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:32 AM   #25
TooMuchTime

Thanks all. I'll hit up Comcast. I thinks we've flogged this dead horse enough. If anything changes, I'll let you know.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:10 PM   #26
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
I'd be perfectly willing to wipe my disk for the opportunity to go back to before 20.3 showed up!
You could do that if you could find a pre-20.3 image, but as soon as it connected to get guide data it would just download and install the newest version again. Not only does TiVo not allow you to roll back, but they don't allow you to remain on an old version. Once a new version has been completely rolled out they flip the big switch and any new box that tries to connect gets the software immediately before any guide data. There is even a software upgrade process in Guided Setup now, so it can upgrade to the newest version before you even attempt setup.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #27
TooMuchTime

Okay! We've got the final resolution. This is going to be a bit like reading War and Peace but that's because it's a long story.

After reading reply #18 by @CrispyCritter, I decided to call Comcast. The reason I didn't originally was because my Comcast DVR did not exhibit the problem the TiVo did. I was pretty certain it wasn't Comcast.

I was wrong. @CrispyCritter said this:

Quote:
Local franchises do all sorts of strange things to get things to work; this could be a debugging signal they left on. Or it could even be more local - some device on your street isn't functioning correctly, and is "beeping" every minute on one specific frequency; one that just happens to be the frequency corresponding to your RedZone channel.
@CrispyCritter was right. I called Comcast and explained the problem. The phone tech sent a bullet and then had me test RedZone HD again. No change. We setup an appointment for a tech visit. About 3 hours later I checked RedZone just to do it and there was no glitching! Also, the 5 channels whose signals I had lost were back with no issues! Success!

However, I was still missing ESPN2HD and TNTPHD. The tech came by today and I asked about why TiVo would show the glitch but the Comcast DVR would not. He said the Comcast hardware has a built-in way to ignore those errors. Great call, @CrispyCritter (reply #8)! Now on to fix the problem with ESPN2 and TNT. He found thousands of errors on the line when he attached his diagnostic equipment. The service for my house is across the street in my neighbor's yard. (It's the kind that looks like R2D2.) He removed the cover and when he grabbed the cable to my house, it just separated from the service with no effort at all. The male connector on the service had broken off and was inside the cable to my house. So he hooked up a splitter from the neighbor's service and called the network folks to repair it. Someone must have kicked R2D2 and broken the cable to my house. It was broken to begin with but when something is damaged like that, some scum will think nothing of breaking it even more. I hope they replace it.

If there's one thing I've learned, it's assume the problem is related to the signal not to the DVR.

All is well and all of the channels come in with no issue. Thank you ALL for all of your input, time, and effort.