TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-21-2014, 12:04 PM   #1
Gene S

How far can you get on initial setup without it being Activated?

How far can I get through the initial guided set-up without the box being activated?

I'm buying my parents a Roamio Plus, and Mini. They are buying the Lifetime service.

They live out of state and I'll be there on vacation next month. My plan is to put in a bigger hard drive, let it do what ever updates are needed, and try and get through guided setup at my house (using their location) before I leave.

Then when I arrive, have them buy the lifetime, and get the CC and TA installed.

Is this possible? Is there a better way to accomplish this?

Depending on the CC installation date, there might not be much time between when I arrive and Charter does. I know they don't like to be sitting there waiting while Tivos do updates and reboots.

Thanks.
Gene S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 12:56 PM   #2
takeagabu

They can buy lifetime before having the box. I think that would be the best option, so you can have everything ready. All you need is the box's service number, and they do on the phone or online before you try to set it up.
takeagabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 01:34 PM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

You get a couple weeks of free service, so you can get all the way through setup and use it for a few weeks before buying service.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 05:03 PM   #4
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
You get a couple weeks of free service, so you can get all the way through setup and use it for a few weeks before buying service.
TiVo had a bug on the 7 day free service as non of the Roamios I got gave me the free service, I called TiVo and they told me they had this bug, (They would comp me some time but I was getting Lifetime anyways so that what I did) may be solved by now.

Old 09-21-2014, 05:20 PM   #5
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene S View Post
How far can I get through the initial guided set-up without the box being activated?
You can complete guided setup without it being activated. It will still make daily calls assuming it is hooked up to the internet and once it is activated, then it will get full service automatically without any user interaction.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 02:05 PM   #6
unclehonkey

When I got my roamio OTA I got all the way thru and watched TV for 24 hours until I got it activated (wouldnt activate online for some reason and it was late)
unclehonkey is offline   Reply With Quote