TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-20-2013, 10:49 PM   #1
dhoward

Replacing Series 3 with Series 4

I am planning to purchase a new Roamio to replace my wife's P2 which is on a monthly plan. There used to be a way to go into my account and just change the TSN but I do not think I can do that anymore. What is the proper way to transfer the P2's plan to the Roamio. Do I buy the new unit and then call Tivo after it is setup and they will deactivate the P2 or is there another process I have to do? Will Tivo allow the transfer at the existing rate or will I have a new rate? I would buy it from Tivo directly but Amazon has the basic Roamio for $50 less and I do not think Tivo is is in the price matching business.
dhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:22 AM   #2
replaytv
Lunatic Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoward View Post
I am planning to purchase a new Roamio to replace my wife's P2 which is on a monthly plan. There used to be a way to go into my account and just change the TSN but I do not think I can do that anymore. What is the proper way to transfer the P2's plan to the Roamio. Do I buy the new unit and then call Tivo after it is setup and they will deactivate the P2 or is there another process I have to do? Will Tivo allow the transfer at the existing rate or will I have a new rate? I would buy it from Tivo directly but Amazon has the basic Roamio for $50 less and I do not think Tivo is is in the price matching business.
I don't know the answer to your questions, but just be aware that with the P2 you can put loads of shows at the lowest definition, but with the HD TiVos they record any HD TV at high definition, so the hard drive is soon filled up.

If you are using a standard definition TV, I would say don't do it. (Yes, believe it or not, millions of people still have standard definition TVs )
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:51 AM   #3
dhoward

I am not sure what your response has to do with my question. I am fully aware of what each gen of Tivo's do. My wife's P2 is on its last legs as it keeps freezing and I have to unplug it to do a hard reboot. I have normally had lifetime Tivos so transferring my plans has not been a factor. The website used to have an option of just swapping TSNs but that feature is gone now thus the reason for my question. I want to purchase the Roamio at Amazon due to the price of $150 and just want to know what the process is now to close one Tivo and replace it with another at the same rate. But, I do appreciate you taking the time to respond.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:12 AM   #4
atmuscarella

Quote:
Your title and question cause some confusion. I am assuming a P2 means a Series 2 TiVo? You indicate you want to buy a Roamio which is a Series 5 TiVo, where does "Replacing a Series 3 with a Series 4" come into play?

In any event to do what you want you have to call TiVo. Others have posted they have been able to retain there current Service plain, but you will not know until you call and find out.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:39 AM   #5
dhoward

Sorry. The P2 is referencing a 2 Tuner Premiere. I have seen the Premieres listed as P2 and P4's (4 tuners). Sorry for the confusion. I think I will probably have to buy the Roamio and then just call Tivo and cancel the service on the Premiere and activate the Roamio. I have MSD so I should get the same monthly pricing I already have.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:12 PM   #6
Teeps

Quote:
Sorry. The P2 is referencing a 2 Tuner Premiere. I have seen the Premieres listed as P2 and P4's (4 tuners). Sorry for the confusion. I think I will probably have to buy the Roamio and then just call Tivo and cancel the service on the Premiere and activate the Roamio. I have MSD so I should get the same monthly pricing I already have.
Have you considered trying to repair the "P2"?
Your "P2" probably just needs the power supply repaired.
DIY project cost about $15.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:37 PM   #7
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
Have you considered trying to repair the "P2"?
Your "P2" probably just needs the power supply repaired.
DIY project cost about $15.
What did you get that there was anything wrong with his Premiere? I thought it sounded like he just want to upgrade.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 11-21-2013, 01:43 PM   #8
atmuscarella

Quote:
You didn't mention what rate you are paying on your Premiere, but current monthly rates on the Premiere are the same as the Roamio (unless of course your Premiere has some older/special rate). Again some people have mentioned being able to transfer special and/or old rates to a Roamio ($6.95 is the lowest I remember seeing someone saying they were able to transfer).
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 11-21-2013, 01:46 PM   #9
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
What did you get that there was anything wrong with his Premiere? I thought it sounded like he just want to upgrade.
Quote:
I am not sure what your response has to do with my question. I am fully aware of what each gen of Tivo's do. My wife's P2 is on its last legs as it keeps freezing and I have to unplug it to do a hard reboot. I have normally had lifetime Tivos so transferring my plans has not been a factor. The website used to have an option of just swapping TSNs but that feature is gone now thus the reason for my question. I want to purchase the Roamio at Amazon due to the price of $150 and just want to know what the process is now to close one Tivo and replace it with another at the same rate. But, I do appreciate you taking the time to respond.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:55 PM   #10
dhoward

Yes the Tivo is freezing intermittently. I searched this problem and it seems to be an inherent problem in the Premier line. I have no problem replacing something internal as I have done it before. But guessing it is a power supply or hard drive or... can be more expensive then just buying a Roamio for $149. BTW my rate is $12.99 which is the same rate a new Tivo should be so I do not need to worry about transferring just cancelling the Premier. I am going to call Tivo and see if they will price match. Doubt it but what do I have to lose..
Old 11-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #11
unitron

There have been far fewer reports of power supply problems for Series 4 TiVos (Premieres) than for S3s and S2s, so in this case I'd be just as suspicious of the hard drive.

Both can be tested.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #12
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
completely missed that
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 11-21-2013, 02:25 PM   #13
dhoward

To add insult to my own injury the title of this thread was wrong also. Should have been series 4 to series 5. Typed the thread real early in am. Ordered one from Tivo just now. It will come unactivated and when I have set it up I just call and they will transfer my service. The freezing is occurring more frequently now. Wife not happy.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:02 PM   #14
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
See post #3.
For a moment I thought I had a senior moment, apparently it's you...
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #15
dhoward

Well, I am actually a senior so a senior moment is legit...
Old 11-22-2013, 11:49 AM   #16
unitron

Quote:
To add insult to my own injury the title of this thread was wrong also. Should have been series 4 to series 5. Typed the thread real early in am. Ordered one from Tivo just now. It will come unactivated and when I have set it up I just call and they will transfer my service. The freezing is occurring more frequently now. Wife not happy.
And so what will become of the ailing Premiere?

Old 11-22-2013, 11:58 AM   #17
dhoward

I will probably give it to one of my family members with the understanding it has a problem.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:17 PM   #18
replaytv
Lunatic Fringe

Quote:
I have no problem replacing something internal as I have done it before. But guessing it is a power supply or hard drive or... can be more expensive then just buying a Roamio for $149.
I would do a 'clear and delete' everything to see if that would fix it to start out with. I have done that when having weird problems on Series 2, and sometimes it fixes it.

You can get a working Premiere off of craigslist for $20 or so for parts to repair yours. I can't remember if your problem one had lifetime. If it didn't then imagine that with your new replacement TiVo you probably have no desire to fix the original 'P2' anyway. ( I have never seen that designation for a TiVo. )
I bought a Premiere for $20 with a Tivo wireless adapter included off of craigslist! The prices on craigslist are usually for more, but if you look for a while you will see them for less. They aren't selling for the higher prices that they are usually listed for.
A XL sold for .99 cents on eBay.

I have had 5 two tuner Premieres for many years and never had one go bad yet. ( knock on wood ) I have had Series 3, 2 and 1 TiVos have hard drives and power supplies go bad, but never a Premiere.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 06:08 PM   #19
dhoward

Thumbs up

We'll I to have had Tivos since the Sony came out. I have owned at one time or another each series and have three units right now. Two Premiers and a HD. In all of my time with Tivo only one unit has failed and that was a power supply which I replaced. This premiere is acting up. I have a new Roamio on order and I am glad you have never had a Premiere fail. What that has to do with my problem I don't know. I have searched other threads and this problem is not unknown. But I do not care what the reason is. I originally just wanted to know what the process was to transfer a monthly since up to now all my units were lifetime. How the thread morphed I don't know. I called Tivo found out the process and ordered a Roamio basic. I am all set and thank everyone for the information. My problem has been handled.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:15 PM   #20
unitron

Quote:
We'll I to have had Tivos since the Sony came out. I have owned at one time or another each series and have three units right now. Two Premiers and a HD. In all of my time with Tivo only one unit has failed and that was a power supply which I replaced. This premiere is acting up. I have a new Roamio on order and I am glad you have never had a Premiere fail. What that has to do with my problem I don't know. I have searched other threads and this problem is not unknown. But I do not care what the reason is. I originally just wanted to know what the process was to transfer a monthly since up to now all my units were lifetime. How the thread morphed I don't know. I called Tivo found out the process and ordered a Roamio basic. I am all set and thank everyone for the information. My problem has been handled.
Anybody (with spare money) can fix a TiVo by replacing it.

The challenge which attracts us, or at some of us, is fixing it by fixing it, or at least being able to figure out how to help someone else do so.