TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-11-2013, 01:17 PM   #1
Steve13

Speed of channel changes Roamio vs. Premiere

I have two premiere's and am considering upgrading to Roamio. I currently use the old style "standard definition" display,menus,etc. because they display faster than the HD versions. channels seem to appear quicker (less time with black screen), guide seems faster, et. IN other words the entire user interface experience seems quicker with the SD settings .

Is the old style SD menu option even available on the Roamio, and if it's not are the HD menus, guide, channel changes, etc. quicker on the Roamio than the HD menus on a premiere?
Old 11-11-2013, 01:32 PM   #2
astrohip
Stuart F

The Roamio's are HD menus only. They are as fast as the old SD menus were on the Premieres. Or so close you can't really feel a difference. I used SD menus on my Elite, and *only* switched to HD on my R-Pro because it wasn't a choice. But I have no regrets. Once you get used to it (and it IS different), it's actually a better menu system. And again, the speed is NOT an issue.

Channel changing seems to be about the same speed it's always been.

ETA: I just realized I didn't directly answer one of your questions. Yes, the HD menus on the Roamio are MUCH faster than a Premiere. HD Roamio=SD Premiere
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:34 PM   #3
chrispitude

I was a "SD UI" snob on the Premiere. I am very sensitive to UI lag, and despite the continued "improvements" in the Premiere's HD interface, I found the performance to be unacceptable, and I couldn't see how anyone else could tolerate it.

The Roamio's HD interface is a joy to use. I haven't looked back.
chrispitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:53 PM   #4
ltxi

Totally agree.
ltxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:28 AM   #5
Steve13

Thanks for the info. That's good news, other than the fact your answers just cost me several hundred bucks, since now I don't have any excuse not to buy Roamio!