TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-02-2016, 03:07 PM   #1
Zenith

Is there a tivo for dummies?

Hiya,

I'm a rank n00b. I once had a directv tivo and loved it, but this is an entirely different kettle'o'fish.

I got my tivo roamio OTA yesterday and I have it all hooked up, but I am clueless as to what all the different options are and do.

F'instance: when I create a onepass, it shows me all the previous seasons' episodes. Sometimes they are playable and sometimes not. I get it that they are not always available, but why does it show me the ones that are not available?

I currently have uverse which doesn't work with tivo. That's ok, I'm trying to cut the cord. I subscribe to HBO on uverse, yet it won't let me add HBOGO to my channels (or whatever that is) on the tivo. I can get there using my roku and Amazon, though. Why would that be?

Why oh why is there no user's manual - online or otherwise. There are so many options that I have no idea about. Is it all supposed to be eminintly obvious, because I can assert that it isn't.

Any and all suggestions about sources would be welcomed.

Z.
SoFL

Zenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 03:13 PM   #2
foghorn2

This place can be seen as a Tivo for Dummies.

Look, im here, the biggest Dummy of them all!

But seriously, just fire your questions away, we will help

and its free

foghorn2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 03:19 PM   #3
mickinct

http://assets.tivo.com/assets/resour...r3_Jan2015.pdf this is the manual

Old 05-02-2016, 03:56 PM   #4
TonyD79

The manual doesn't cover everything. Play around. You will learn tricks by playing and asking questions. Read threads here. No one knows it all.

As for HBO. Att/directv have not approved HBO go or any other authenticated app on TiVo because TiVo doesn't work with them. There is no value for it.

All episodes show so you know about them. The icon is gray if not available. Blue if it is. You can remove them by hitting the clear button one by one or you can hit the C (B? I'm not at home) button to change what you see in the list. It will show what is available from your selected video providers as well as what is in the guide or in your my shows list.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:57 PM   #5
Teedagreen

I too need a manual for Tivo dummies...I am trying to setup a Mini Tivo, but my Roamio standard is wifi connected. we have TWC. The mini does not have an Ethernet available nor does the Roamio. I have ordered 2 TiVo bridges, one for the Modem/router and the other for the Roamio. Do I need a 2 way or 3 way splitter for the Modem/Router (2 separate components) and should I have two Poe filters? I ask these questions, but it is like speaking a foreign language, I hope I am saying the right thing, I don't even know if I am posting this in the right place. Please help if you can.

Teedagreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:05 PM   #6
UCLABB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teedagreen View Post
I too need a manual for Tivo dummies...I am trying to setup a Mini Tivo, but my Roamio standard is wifi connected. we have TWC. The mini does not have an Ethernet available nor does the Roamio. I have ordered 2 TiVo bridges, one for the Modem/router and the other for the Roamio. Do I need a 2 way or 3 way splitter for the Modem/Router (2 separate components) and should I have two Poe filters? I ask these questions, but it is like speaking a foreign language, I hope I am saying the right thing, I don't even know if I am posting this in the right place. Please help if you can.
Start here.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...t=moca+diagram

UCLABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 05-02-2016, 07:07 PM   #7
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Please expand on the description of "TiVo bridges". My Roamio and Mini both use a wired to wireless adapters. This NOT a supported method. If you have coax to the Mini, then you need MoCA support and you can ignore my post.

JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:52 PM   #8
Zenith

Big Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickinct View Post
Thank you so much. That is exactly what I need.

Z.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:00 PM   #9
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Thank you so much. That is exactly what I need. Z.
Keep coming back here. There is a lot not in that book.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:23 PM   #10
Teedagreen

As per Tivo CS, I need the Tivo bridge they sell them on their website, $79.99. Attach the bridge to the coax at the modem and router with a splitter and again at the Roamio, coax at Roamio has a splitter to tuner. The bridge will provide the MoCa connection. Or so they say, I guess I will find out when it arrives in about 4-5 days. The splitter is the confusing part, I know it goes on the modem, but I don't know if I need a 2 way or 3 way.

Teedagreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:34 PM   #11
Zenith

Another 'Dummy' question

Ok, how come the D button doesn't always work on recorded shows to skip an entire commercial break?

TIA
Z.
SoFl
Roamio OTA

Old 05-04-2016, 03:57 PM   #12
humbb

Quote:
Ok, how come the D button doesn't always work on recorded shows to skip an entire commercial break?

TIA
Z.
SoFl
Roamio OTA
That's easy. See this:
https://www.tivo.com/popup/skipmode-channels

Also (as noted in other threads) that for inexplicable reasons, some shows that are supposed to have skipmode may not. This may vary by cable system or geographical areas or, perhaps, sunspots.

humbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:38 PM   #13
snerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
Please expand on the description of "TiVo bridges". My Roamio and Mini both use a wired to wireless adapters. This NOT a supported method. If you have coax to the Mini, then you need MoCA support and you can ignore my post.
The TiVo Bridge is the new MoCA adapter that TiVo sells. It is essentially an ActionTec ECB6000 in a white case.

snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 05-04-2016, 04:45 PM   #14
snerd

Quote:
As per Tivo CS, I need the Tivo bridge they sell them on their website, $79.99. Attach the bridge to the coax at the modem and router with a splitter and again at the Roamio, coax at Roamio has a splitter to tuner. The bridge will provide the MoCa connection. Or so they say, I guess I will find out when it arrives in about 4-5 days. The splitter is the confusing part, I know it goes on the modem, but I don't know if I need a 2 way or 3 way.
You need a 2-way splitter, coax from the wall goes to the input of the splitter, one splitter output goes to the Bridge, the other goes to the modem.

It sound like you have a Roamio OTA or Roamio base, with a TA (tuning adapter). There you can use a 3-way splitter, coax from wall to splitter input, one splitter output to Bridge, one splitter output to Roamio, third splitter output to a MoCA PoE filter and then to the TA.

You should also add a MoCA PoE filter at the input of the main splitter that feeds the rooms in your house.

snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 06:22 PM   #15
Zenith

'nother question

I have an old a/v receiver without any hdmi inputs. It does, however, have an digital optical audio input. I notice that the tivo ota has a digital optical audio output. Is this a match made in heaven?

I have the cable, so I guess I can just plug it in, but I'd rather not blow something up as I'm enjoying the tivo muchly.

Thanks again.

Z.
tivo ota
SoFl

Old 05-04-2016, 06:50 PM   #16
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
You can't blow up anything with a Toslink cable. Should work fine.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:17 PM   #17
Zenith

Big Grin And it did

work just fine. Now, I don't have to listen to the teeny tv speakers anymore.

Happy happy.

Thanks so much.

Z.
tivo ota
SoFl

Old 05-06-2016, 01:01 PM   #18
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:

TIA
Z.
SoFl
Roamio OTA
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbb View Post
That's easy. See this:
https://www.tivo.com/popup/skipmode-channels

Also (as noted in other threads) that for inexplicable reasons, some shows that are supposed to have skipmode may not. This may vary by cable system or geographical areas or, perhaps, sunspots.
This thread may be of interest:

Skip-mode doesn't work with MPEG-4 channels(fixed)

Old 05-06-2016, 02:40 PM   #19
Zenith

Yet another question...

I have had cable or cable like service for so long, I have forgotten all the problems with antennas.

I get it adjusted for one channel, then my recording on another channel is unwatchable. I live very close to many transmission towers. We're on the 'high' ground (relatively speaking) of our area and quite a few of the towers are all within 3 miles of us.

Right now I'm using a simple stick on the wall antenna, which is not working well for me. I've ordered an outside antenna, but think perhaps that was a mistake.

If I have a lot of strong signals close by, what is the best type of antenna to use?

Z
tivo ota
SoFl

Old 05-09-2016, 10:55 PM   #20
JBDragon

Quote:
I have had cable or cable like service for so long, I have forgotten all the problems with antennas.

I get it adjusted for one channel, then my recording on another channel is unwatchable. I live very close to many transmission towers. We're on the 'high' ground (relatively speaking) of our area and quite a few of the towers are all within 3 miles of us.

Right now I'm using a simple stick on the wall antenna, which is not working well for me. I've ordered an outside antenna, but think perhaps that was a mistake.

If I have a lot of strong signals close by, what is the best type of antenna to use?

Z
tivo ota
SoFl

You need a Multi-directional antenna. That means it can pick up signals all around you. The downfall of course is the range is limited. But that's not a problem for you with a 3 mile range. If you're trying to pick up channels 30-50 miles away, you would want a Omni-directionalAntenna which points to the direction of the signal(s).

A good place to go is:
http://www.channelmaster.com/Antenna...tion-a/134.htm

They'll explain the different type of situations you may have and the type of antenna needed. Alone with entering your ZIP to see the channels you can expect and from where and a listing of the different types of antenna's you can get. It's a pretty good site. Another good place to go to is:
http://www.antennaweb.org/

JBDragon is offline   Reply With Quote