TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-04-2016, 08:18 PM   #1
fullmerc

Roamio OTA stops tuning channels

Hello,

I've had a Roamio OTA for almost a year. After a recent patch (the one that added the channel logos in the guide) it now stops tuning in channels about 15-30 minutes after being rebooted. After the reboot everything is fine for a little while, then as I am flipping through the channels all I get is black screens. My signal strength is solid and I'm about 16 miles from the antennas. Anybody else experience this? Oh, and the system records shows with no issues.

fullmerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:55 PM   #2
tampa8
Official Tivo User

If it's recording everything then obviously it is getting the channels just fine. Change the HDMI cable and/or the input on the TV. Also try resetting from the Help menu restart/reset options.

Old 05-04-2016, 11:51 PM   #3
rainwater

Have you checked your video output formats? Perhaps one is incompatible with your tv. And like was said previously, you may want to try a different HDMI cable.

rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:24 PM   #4
fullmerc

Thanks

Thanks for the comments. I've swapped HDMI cables, HDMI ports on the TV, and even tried going through my Receiver. I get the same result no matter what. What settings should would you recommend for the video output?

fullmerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 01:20 PM   #5
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmerc View Post
Thanks for the comments. I've swapped HDMI cables, HDMI ports on the TV, and even tried going through my Receiver. I get the same result no matter what. What settings should would you recommend for the video output?
1080i and 1080p (pass through). Opinions differ. You can check them all, live with the HDMI delays and see if it looks better on your TV.

JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:32 PM   #6
JBDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
1080i and 1080p (pass through). Opinions differ. You can check them all, live with the HDMI delays and see if it looks better on your TV.
Generally Automatic is the best. 1080i is pointless unless you have a TUBE type TV. These days it's really either 720P or 1080P. That's output to the TV. The Channels you from the cable or OTA are going to be either 720P or 1080i. Most are 1080i. This give you a higher resolution but at half the frame rate of 720P, which is why most channels are in 1080P, but channels with a lot of action, quick movement are in 720P like ESPN.

No matter what you feed your TV, it's only going to show that content in it's native resolution. If you feed a 1080P TV 720P content. it will Upconvert. If you feed it 1080i, it'll convert it to 1080P. Most modern TV's don't have a problem with this. Some older ones won't know what to do with a signal it doesn't support and give you no picture. But in general, something alone the line, be it your Tivo or your HDTV, will convert the picture to the format required. A 1080P HDTV can't display 720P so it's Up Converted. There's no Interlace on a LCD or plasma display, so no 1080i, that's a TUBE. So 1080i will be converted to 1080P. So you would take a 1080i Even lines and a 1080i Odd lines, Combine them to create a 1080P picture. This is why you get half the frame rate you do with a 720P picture. Trying to send 1080P is just to much data to transmit which would be the best of both worlds.

Personally I don't think this is a Issue in your case. Because it's working for 15-20 minutes getting a signal before it fails. Have you tried plugging in the antenna directly to your TV and see if that works longer? I know my Panasonic Plasma's have a signal strength test in it's menu's You may want to try that and see how you really are. Take the Tivo out of the picture. Narrow things down. There may be a issue with the Tivo. Lightning strikes, not even close by, to fry your stuff could still cause a glitch like this.

You want to make sure everything is grounded to a good ground. That means your COAX wire from the antenna or cable company using a grounding block. A whole house Surge Protection is nice to have. If that's not a option, then a UPS is nice to have for your Electronic Devices. From Computers to your TIVO. It'll protect you from surges, Brown outs, Undervoltage and over voltage, etc. It won't protect you from a direct lightning strike, but in general they offer pretty good protection policy's. For example APC has protection for $50,000 on up to $500,000 to Unlimited depending on which one you own.

JBDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:12 PM   #7
foghorn2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBDragon View Post
Generally Automatic is the best. 1080i is pointless unless you have a TUBE type TV. These days it's really either 720P or 1080P. That's output to the TV. The Channels you from the cable or OTA are going to be either 720P or 1080i. Most are 1080i. This give you a higher resolution but at half the frame rate of 720P, which is why most channels are in 1080P, but channels with a lot of action, quick movement are in 720P like ESPN.

No matter what you feed your TV, it's only going to show that content in it's native resolution. If you feed a 1080P TV 720P content. it will Upconvert. If you feed it 1080i, it'll convert it to 1080P. Most modern TV's don't have a problem with this. Some older ones won't know what to do with a signal it doesn't support and give you no picture. But in general, something alone the line, be it your Tivo or your HDTV, will convert the picture to the format required. A 1080P HDTV can't display 720P so it's Up Converted. There's no Interlace on a LCD or plasma display, so no 1080i, that's a TUBE. So 1080i will be converted to 1080P. So you would take a 1080i Even lines and a 1080i Odd lines, Combine them to create a 1080P picture. This is why you get half the frame rate you do with a 720P picture. Trying to send 1080P is just to much data to transmit which would be the best of both worlds.

Personally I don't think this is a Issue in your case. Because it's working for 15-20 minutes getting a signal before it fails. Have you tried plugging in the antenna directly to your TV and see if that works longer? I know my Panasonic Plasma's have a signal strength test in it's menu's You may want to try that and see how you really are. Take the Tivo out of the picture. Narrow things down. There may be a issue with the Tivo. Lightning strikes, not even close by, to fry your stuff could still cause a glitch like this.

You want to make sure everything is grounded to a good ground. That means your COAX wire from the antenna or cable company using a grounding block. A whole house Surge Protection is nice to have. If that's not a option, then a UPS is nice to have for your Electronic Devices. From Computers to your TIVO. It'll protect you from surges, Brown outs, Undervoltage and over voltage, etc. It won't protect you from a direct lightning strike, but in general they offer pretty good protection policy's. For example APC has protection for $50,000 on up to $500,000 to Unlimited depending on which one you own.
Was this originally in Chinese, and then translated to English?

foghorn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 04:59 AM   #8
ej42137

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghorn2 View Post
Was this originally in Chinese, and then translated to English?
Are you trying to be funny or insulting? This explanation was in reasonably clear colloquial English, the few grammatical errors were the kind a native speaker would make, not a translator.

ej42137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 06:19 AM   #9
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej42137 View Post
Are you trying to be funny or insulting? This explanation was in reasonably clear colloquial English, the few grammatical errors were the kind a native speaker would make, not a translator.
Not to mention I don't have a problem. I was making a suggestion and, like I said, opinions differ.

I feed a 1080p Sony with 1080i and 1080p (pass through). Looks good to me. It may just be me, but I feel a TV is designed to accept 1080i and convert it to its native 1080p. It also does a great job with Amazon 24fps movies.

JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote