TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-15-2016, 02:53 AM   #1
Dominick_7

Why does my Tivo Roamios picture quality look bad?

Hi I have a Comcast X1 which is fantastic and elegant, but didnt want to share recordings with the other family members. I didnt want to have to scan through dozens of mindless sitcoms, then have to sift through the trash for things we both watch that they end up deleting, with me wondering if there are things in there that I watch. But it looks incredible, it seems to upconvert everything properly where the picture is crisp, clear, detailed, you can tell its 1080p. The only option to separate our recordings is with a moca filter but while it for most part separates the recordings it makes it so we cant record the same shows. Whoever sets the recording will have it go to their box, when the other box tries to set the recording it says its already recording it and you wont be able to access the recording on their box due to the moca filter.

Since a Comcast update made it so you cant separate recordings due to them sharing the same recording pool, the only option I had was to get a Tivo, but its becoming an even bigger headache than the X1. It paired ok, but the picture by contrast looks crappy.. its pixelated, noisy, smoother with less detail and has a bluish tinge besides the sound kind of crackles at times. My set up is the Roamio to an Integral splitter, to Hauppauge HD PVR 60 to my HP ENVY 27t laptop. I updated the firmware on the Integral, replaced the HDMI cables, made the splitters 2.6ghz with terminator caps on the exposed unused ports to get rid of noise or loss of signal strength and it all seems to be pointing to the Tivo being the problem.

Is the Tivo supposed to match the X1 in terms of quality or is this something everyone see? If its related to how the Tivo does not properly upconvert to 1080p, does the Bolt do a better job at upconverting to 1080p or 4k? Maybe its just a problem with my Tivo.. Not sure what my next step should be.. to get a replacement Roamio to possibly see the same thing happen, just get a Bolt or go back to the X1 because the Bolt wont resolve anything. Any help is appreciated.

Dominick_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:17 AM   #2
elwaylite

Lotta connections going on in your setup. My roamio into an AVR and then to the display looks great on OTA content and Amazon streaming.

Hopper 3
elwaylite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:32 AM   #3
jonw747

It sounds like you have far more problems than would be explained by this, but TiVo tries to detect the color space to use based on what it's connected to (rather than providing a user setting), and if it gets it wrong the symptoms are bad color or black crush.

jonw747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:14 PM   #4
Dominick_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwaylite View Post
Lotta connections going on in your setup. My roamio into an AVR and then to the display looks great on OTA content and Amazon streaming.

AVR= audio video recorder? I borrowed a small TV to test it out if it does the same thing when just connected directly to it, keeping it simple as you have it. But if the multiple connection set up is making it do this, I cant do much about that. :/

Old 04-15-2016, 12:16 PM   #5
Teeps

How does the picture look with tivo connected to a proper TV?

Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:18 PM   #6
Dominick_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonw747 View Post
It sounds like you have far more problems than would be explained by this, but TiVo tries to detect the color space to use based on what it's connected to (rather than providing a user setting), and if it gets it wrong the symptoms are bad color or black crush.
Hmm. Based on what its connected to source wise you mean? By user setting, you mean related to selecting the video resolutions? What I dont get is why/how the X1 which is based on TiVo tech from what I understand can handle the set up beautifully but this Roamio cant. Black crush is a black screen or noise in the black parts?

Old 04-15-2016, 12:20 PM   #7
Dominick_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
How does the picture look with tivo connected to a proper TV?
Going to test that today. If it still looks bad then it seems to follow that it has to be the Tivo, if not then I guess its my set up?

Old 04-15-2016, 12:26 PM   #8
elwaylite

Yeah, connect it directly to your display if possible, make sure it is outputting native rez, and see what it looks like.

Hopper 3
elwaylite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:33 PM   #9
justen_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick_7 View Post
My set up is the Roamio to an Integral splitter, to Hauppauge HD PVR 60 to my HP ENVY 27t laptop.
This makes no sense to me. I don't understand your setup. Does your HP Laptop have an HDMI or DVI input like a proper display? i.e., can it mimic a display? I've never seen that, but I guess it isn't impossible.

How is data getting to your laptop? In what format?

I want to know what cables are between every device in your setup. Is it Roamio->HDMI cable->HDMI Splitter->HDMI cable->Haaupauge PVR-> ???(what the heck is here)??? ->Laptop.

None of my laptops have video inputs. What is the Haaupauage doing to the data to send it to the laptop? Or is your laptop running software to pull some sort of video format data off your Haaupauge?

It sounds like some video transcoding is happening after the data leaves the TiVo.

justen_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:58 PM   #10
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by justen_m View Post
This makes no sense to me. I don't understand your setup. Does your HP Laptop have an HDMI or DVI input like a proper display? i.e., can it mimic a display? I've never seen that, but I guess it isn't impossible.

I want to know what cables are between every device in your setup. Is it Roamio->HDMI cable->HDMI Splitter->HDMI cable->Haaupauge PVR-> ???(what the heck is here)??? ->Laptop.

None of my laptops have video inputs. What is the Haaupauage doing to the data to send it to the laptop? Or is your laptop running software to pull some sort of video format data off your Haaupauge?

It sounds like some video transcoding is happening after the data leaves the TiVo.
The Hauppauge HD PVR 60 is a USB capture device, the HDMI splitter is stripping out HDCP protection so the Haaupauge can capture/record the HDMI output without any DRM restrictions on what a person can do with the file. The laptop is playing the file the Haaupauge creates.

R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 02:07 PM   #11
jonw747

Quote:
Hmm. Based on what its connected to source wise you mean? By user setting, you mean related to selecting the video resolutions? What I dont get is why/how the X1 which is based on TiVo tech from what I understand can handle the set up beautifully but this Roamio cant. Black crush is a black screen or noise in the black parts?
Normally, it bases the color space output on the TV connected to the TiVo, but it sounds like you don't have a TV connected. So, we can't be sure what's going on.

The color space determines the type of video output: YCbCr which is typically used for TVs or RGB which is typically used by computer monitors, and for RGB another important issue is the range sometimes called RGB Full and RGB Limited. A mismatch in color space wouldn't cause noise. We're talking obviously wrong colors or more subtle issues with blacks appearing either too light, or black crush which means all detail in dark areas are lost and appear as black.

Keep in mind DVRs are designed to connect to HDTVs. If if it doesn't work when connected up as intended you may have a bad TiVo, otherwise it may just be incompatible with your setup and you'll have to return it.

jonw747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 02:53 PM   #12
Dominick_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwaylite View Post
Yeah, connect it directly to your display if possible, make sure it is outputting native rez, and see what it looks like.
K Ill try to do that.

Quote:

Oh its HDMI to the HD Fury Integral which strips HDCP protection, then HDMI from that to the Hauppauge HD PVR 60, where then it goes from that to the ENVY via an AV/audio video USB cable on the left side of the ENVY. Yup you got everything but the last one Its transcoding video on the fly to make it viewable on the PC. You view it from the Hauppauge via the Hauppauge capture software which uses up to 16mbps bit rate. There are other softwares one can use too, like Xsplit, Capture4Me etc. Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
The Hauppauge HD PVR 60 is a USB capture device, the HDMI splitter is stripping out HDCP protection so the Haaupauge can capture/record the HDMI output without any DRM restrictions on what a person can do with the file. The laptop is playing the file the Haaupauge creates.
Yea. You can view not only the recorded file once the recording is done but you can view tv live at the same time with or without recording it as well.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:19 PM   #13
justen_m

Quote:
Oh its HDMI to the HD Fury Integral which strips HDCP protection, then HDMI from that to the Hauppauge HD PVR 60, where then it goes from that to the ENVY via an AV/audio video USB cable on the left side of the ENVY. Yup you got everything but the last one Its transcoding video on the fly to make it viewable on the PC. You view it from the Hauppauge via the Hauppauge capture software which uses up to 16mbps bit rate. There are other softwares one can use too, like Xsplit, Capture4Me etc. Correct.

Yea. You can view not only the recorded file once the recording is done but you can view tv live at the same time with or without recording it as well.
Interesting info, thanks. I haven't seen this setup before. Sorry, no suggestions.

justen_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 04:06 PM   #14
Dominick_7

Quote:
Interesting info, thanks. I haven't seen this setup before. Sorry, no suggestions.
Sure, no problem. Its the best and more affordable way Ive seen to get the highest quality recordings to put on my PC/server besides save space on the DVRs without having blu ray or 4k sized files.

Old 04-22-2016, 11:03 AM   #15
gweempose

Perhaps I'm missing something, but why would you have to go through all that trouble when you can simply move the files directly from the TiVo to your PC with a program like KMTTG?

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote