Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-14-2014, 11:12 AM   #1
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Amazing Race moving to Fridays in the fall

Saw this link in another thread, and I was so excited by the fact that Amazing Race won't be impacted by football/golf/etc that I thought it was worth sharing.

http://tvline.com/2014/05/14/cbs-fal...theory-monday/
Old 05-14-2014, 11:20 AM   #2
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Makes me happy- the whole football thing is a pain in the butt.
I even gave up trying to watch the show because of it.
Well, that and the whole Sunday night conflict situation.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:23 AM   #3
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

I don't watch the show, but it's nice to see networks actually trying to program on Friday nights again, and not just assuming that no one is home watching. For a while, it was looking kind of like it was becoming like Saturday night, with nothing on.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:25 AM   #4
laria
Librocubicularist

Kinda weird to see it moving to Fridays. Not that it really matters to me, anyways, because other shows I watch are either still on Sunday or are moving to Sunday, so I still will need my season pass padding.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:24 PM   #5
Ment

I'll have to time shift but thats okay. CBS must really like the replacement in the timeslot MADAM SECRETARY.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:26 PM   #6
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
This makes me happy, but I'm bummed that they're moving Unforgettable to Sunday nights.

I've given up on more CBS shows because of the Sunday night "did I get it all or did I not pad enough" BS. Poppy Montgomery is more than enough incentive to me to do whatever it takes, but a lesser show may have fallen by the wayside with this move.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:13 PM   #7
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ment View Post
I'll have to time shift but thats okay. CBS must really like the replacement in the timeslot MADAM SECRETARY.
Either that, or they don't like it, and want it to have six or seven episodes start somewhere between 30 and 60 minutes late, so anybody trying to record it (because they're watching, say, the football game on NBC) isn't going to get the whole thing. Why CBS doesn't do what Fox does, and simply start its shows at 8 PM on Sundays on NFL doubleheader days, I don't know.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:38 PM   #8
eddyj

I just pad all Sunday shows on CBS by an hour.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:52 PM   #9
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
Either that, or they don't like it, and want it to have six or seven episodes start somewhere between 30 and 60 minutes late, so anybody trying to record it (because they're watching, say, the football game on NBC) isn't going to get the whole thing. Why CBS doesn't do what Fox does, and simply start its shows at 8 PM on Sundays on NFL doubleheader days, I don't know.
Two words - 60 Minutes. CBS has shown that they will NOT mess with this, and I imagine it almost took an act of God for them to FINALLY acquiesce to at least pushing it back a half hour sometimes.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:20 PM   #10
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

We don't have to mess with the schedule overruns out here in the west, so that's never been an issue for me with TAR. But since there's really nothing else I watch on Friday nights, and lots of stuff I watch on Sunday nights, I'm fine with ABC shifting TAR to Fridays and making my Sunday nights a little easier and giving me something to watch on Friday night (or Saturday).
Old 05-14-2014, 08:11 PM   #11
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post
I just pad the last one by an hour.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:23 PM   #12
mattack

Just like most shows, it doesn't really matter to me what day it airs, but I've sure gotten used to it be on Sunday nights. Especially this season, it's one of the shows I watch the night it airs, almost real time (wait at least 15 mins to be able to skip commercials)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:24 AM   #13
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
I used to do that, but then I would have to watch them all together, or keep track of the fact that some parts of which shows were on another recording. Not worth it to me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:20 AM   #14
VegasVic
Craps Player

It's fine with me but usually Friday nights are where shows go to die.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:24 AM   #15
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
I used to do that, but then I would have to watch them all together, or keep track of the fact that some parts of which shows were on another recording. Not worth it to me.
Yeah... lately it's just been The Good Wife (I don't watch The Mentalist), and I tend to watch The Good Wife right away after TAR anyways. I'm not sure yet how I'll do it next season. The fact that part of TGW will be in CSI won't really be an issue to keep track of, since I'll still watch it right away, but CSI is a show that usually builds up a little bit, and that's an issue for space (even though I have a 3 TB drive in there ).
Old 05-15-2014, 09:15 AM   #16
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
We've discussed this before. While as a viewer, I agree, and wish they'd do the same thing Fox does, ratings prove otherwise. CBS ratings on the weekends where they have the late game for their evening of shows, are higher than on the nights when they don't have the late game. Lots of football fans stick around to watch those shows since their schedules are screwed up. Factor in that it's "easier" to record the shows on the other networks and it makes sense for CBS to continue doing it this way. It's not going to change unless ratings drop.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:17 AM   #17
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
This. Well The Good Wife (since I don't watch the CBS 10PM show). I still have to make sure I check to see if TGW is a rerun or not.

Now, unless I decide to watch the new 8 o'clock show, I'll have to pad TWO shows.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:53 AM   #18
super dave
Upgrade Willy

Quote:
Quote:
Usually the shows update on Facebook informing me they are running long, so I usually just record the next program or two if necessary. The DVR shows that something is partially watched, and when I want to watch there is either Watch or Resume so I don't need to keep track, it bookmarks my place.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:12 AM   #19
eddyj

I watch TAR and the Mentalist. The wife watches the Good Wife and the Mentalist. It would be a nightmare to keep track of what is where. I'd rather pad them all. Sure, it takes more space, but I usually watch those within a few days, so no big deal.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:26 AM   #20
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

TAR was the only show I added an hour for on Sunday. I did not watch any other CBS shows. I was fine with them moving it.

But then I noticed they moved CSI to sunday so I will have to start padding for it.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:13 AM   #21
VegasVic
Craps Player

I pad any network show that I may record on Sunday, it's not only football that runs long but sometimes golf and other sports.
Old 05-15-2014, 01:24 PM   #22
FrodoB

I may be wrong, but I think this means the only conflict now for TAR would be March Madness. That'd be two consecutive Fridays in March that would probably result in preempting rather than delaying, since basketball goes until like 11 PM at least one of those two weeks.

Of course, they skipped a week this year for the CMAs or something like that, so it's really only one extra week that would need to be preempted.

Small price to pay for not having football overruns.
FrodoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:00 PM   #23
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Quote:
There have been at least a couple occasions when that wasn't enough. We pad 2 hours.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 11:03 AM   #24
kettledrum

I split the difference and pad an hour and a half.
kettledrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 03:51 PM   #25
brianric

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettledrum View Post
I split the difference and pad an hour and a half.
Same here, although one time it came real close to going over 90 minutes.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:04 PM   #26
MScottC

Simple... especially with 4-6 tuners... do one manual record for CBS from 7p-12:30am. While we keep season passes of TAR, TGW and any other Sunday CBS Shows, we delete the specific records as they pop up on the TO DO List. So we wind up with one record of CBS for the entire night.
MScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:31 PM   #27
laria
Librocubicularist

Takes up too much space. You are stuck with the full recording if you don't want to watch all the shows right away.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:45 PM   #28
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Takes up too much space. You are stuck with the full recording if you don't want to watch all the shows right away.
Exactly. If you watch TAR on the night it airs, but you're a couple episodes behind on The Good Wife or The Mentalist, then you have to keep that 6 hour recording potentially for several weeks. The alternative, especially with 4-6 tuners, is to just record each one separately with a one-hour pad, and then you can delete each episode as you watch it.
Old 05-18-2014, 04:01 AM   #29
R1elvis

this is why i love living on the west coast... Nothing is bumped, and everything starts on time.
R1elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:12 AM   #30
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1elvis View Post
this is why i love living on the west coast... Nothing is bumped, and everything starts on time.
Of course, on the flip side, those of us on the East Coast can spoil the result for you before it even airs on the West Coast