TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #1
pkerr

Is my Tivo dead?

It shut off and repowered back on twice by itself. After the second time and it started to come back up it just went to a gray screen and then nothing. I've pulled the plug several times and as it starts to come back up, it shows the Tivo screen for about 5 seconds and then the gray screen.
Is it dead?

And if so... what are the replacement suggestions?
Thanks
pkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:45 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkerr View Post
It shut off and repowered back on twice by itself. After the second time and it started to come back up it just went to a gray screen and then nothing. I've pulled the plug several times and as it starts to come back up, it shows the Tivo screen for about 5 seconds and then the gray screen.
Is it dead?

And if so... what are the replacement suggestions?
Thanks
(you don't have an external drive attached to the TiVo do you?)

Generally if you get the first screen that says "Welcome" (which is stored on a chip on the motherboard, but instead of the next screen that says "just a few more minutes" (which is stored on the hard drive), but it goes to a plain gray screen, that means that something is preventing the motherboard and the hard drive from communicating fully and properly with each other.

There are a number of possible causes.

But usually that first welcome screen stays there for at least 60 seconds while the TiVo sorts itself out before it tries to move on to displaying anything else.

Which makes me suspect the power supply more than the "a whole lot" I would be otherwise.

Which is kind of good news in a way, because soldering in $10 worth of replacement capacitors is probably a lot cheaper than replacing the hard drive, although I can't guarantee it doesn't have problems as well.

Do you have a TCD648250, a TCD652160, or a TCD658000, and is the internal drive still the one they put in it at the factory?

And what part of the country are you in?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote