TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-08-2013, 09:42 AM   #1
windracer
joined the 10k club

Can ping ethernet even though no cable connected

Just got my new Roamio Pro set up last night on MoCA, it downloaded the fall service update, and I got BHN to pair the Cisco CableCARD (PKM803 with 1.5.3_F.p.0601 - we'll see how that goes). Everything is working great.

I noticed, however, when checking my router, that the Roamio's ethernet MAC appears as "connected" to the router even though currently it's set as MoCA only and there is no ethernet cable plugged into the jack.

I can "ping" the ethernet address. If I try to access it via a browser, I get prompted for the login, but then get a "resource not found" error (if I connect via browser to the MoCA address I can access the web-based Now Playing).

Is this just a function/side effect of the internal MoCa+Ethernet bridge?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:39 AM   #2
AdamNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
Just got my new Roamio Pro set up last night on MoCA, it downloaded the fall service update, and I got BHN to pair the Cisco CableCARD (PKM803 with 1.5.3_F.p.0601 - we'll see how that goes). Everything is working great.

I noticed, however, when checking my router, that the Roamio's ethernet MAC appears as "connected" to the router even though currently it's set as MoCA only and there is no ethernet cable plugged into the jack.

I can "ping" the ethernet address. If I try to access it via a browser, I get prompted for the login, but then get a "resource not found" error (if I connect via browser to the MoCA address I can access the web-based Now Playing).

Is this just a function/side effect of the internal MoCa+Ethernet bridge?
Even if it is connected via MOCA, it is still assigned an IP address and will appear on the network. It is connected as if it is any other wired connection. The wire is just in a different form (coax vs cat5).

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:47 AM   #3
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNJ View Post
Even if it is connected via MOCA, it is still assigned an IP address and will appear on the network. It is connected as if it is any other wired connection. The wire is just in a different form (coax vs cat5).
I understand that ... what I'm saying is that I see two separate MAC addresses connected to my router, the MoCA MAC and ethernet MAC, even though no CAT-5 cable is connected to the ethernet jack.

|
Old 11-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #4
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
I understand that ... what I'm saying is that I see two separate MAC addresses connected to my router, the MoCA MAC and ethernet MAC, even though no CAT-5 cable is connected to the ethernet jack.
If you are seeing only 2 MAC's, you're seeing the Ethernet/MoCA MAC (i.e. the general MAC for the device) and the other is MAC address for the built-in Stream.
tatergator1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #5
windracer
joined the 10k club

Doh! The internal Stream, I forgot about that. When I saw the three MACs on the back label I was thinking MoCA, ethernet, and wireless and forgot the Stream is a separate component.

That explains it, thanks!

|