TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-07-2014, 10:17 AM   #1
wedgecon
Just Plain Awesome

Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D "Ragtag" OAD 5-6-2014

I really liked this episode going "old school". Prepare for a large file transfer...literally.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wedgecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:39 AM   #2
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

I can't believe that Ward drew down on that dog. And, apparently, killed him in the end anyway.

He's on a short path to becoming a full blown psychopath, like Garrett. His only saving grace is that he knew FitzSimmons would probably survive the fall from the bus.

But, he's not redeemable. He's still gotta die.

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:40 AM   #3
Peter000

Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D "Ragtag" OAD 5-6-2014

Loved the Howling Commandos gadgets!

This was the first episode where it felt like the characters were who they were supposed to be. Everything clicked.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:00 AM   #4
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
I'm not wild about all the gadgetry... the joy buzzer was fine, as it directly affected the Garrett story, but some of the others were there just to be used when the writers couldn't think of anything else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Come join us October 5-12, 2014!
martinp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:00 AM   #5
nlsinger
w00tever

"Get ready for a large file transfer."
I'm still laughing.

Mr.Slowplay was the MVP for sure... not his fault that nlsinger's charm and cunning had him fooled. :P --MickeS
nlsinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:02 AM   #6
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGM1138 View Post
I can't believe that Ward drew down on that dog. And, apparently, killed him in the end anyway.

He's on a short path to becoming a full blown psychopath, like Garrett. His only saving grace is that he knew FitzSimmons would probably survive the fall from the bus.

But, he's not redeemable. He's still gotta die.
Given some of his behavior in this episode, I'm starting to be afraid they really are going to try to rehabilitate him. I would accept it, with reluctance, if he has a change of heart and dies in a heroic sacrifice for the team; but if they try to make him a good guy regular again, I'm out. It's too late. They know that, right?
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:04 AM   #7
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedgecon View Post
Prepare for a large file transfer...literally.
Yeah, that was good.
I'd had just a moment to thing "hey, what? I thought there weren't any computers" and then *crash*!
Old 05-07-2014, 11:54 AM   #8
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGM1138 View Post
I can't believe that Ward drew down on that dog. And, apparently, killed him in the end anyway..
Interesting take, I had assumed that Ward let him go after the shot and it was Garrett that had him in the sights..

However I am all for NOT redeeming Ward, have the cajones to kill him off, after all it IS a Whedon show
Old 05-07-2014, 12:04 PM   #9
Ereth

I think Ward is being set up to be the Big Bad. Replace Garret, head some part of Hydra, be the organizing force that Coulsons team goes up against.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:08 PM   #10
FrodoB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
Yeah, that was good.
I'd had just a moment to thing "hey, what? I thought there weren't any computers" and then *crash*!
I guessed what they were doing before it happened, but it was still hysterical.
FrodoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:18 PM   #11
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoB View Post
I guessed what they were doing before it happened, but it was still hysterical.
Agreed on both counts.

I also think it may have been Garrett that shot the dog. They didn't make it obvious.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:58 PM   #12
Gerryex

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Interesting take, I had assumed that Ward let him go after the shot and it was Garrett that had him in the sights..
Quote:
Originally Posted by loubob57 View Post
I also think it may have been Garrett that shot the dog. They didn't make it obvious.
I'm 99 44/100 % sure that Ward let the dog go and that it was Garrett that killed it with the telescopic sight.

Gerry
Gerryex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:03 PM   #13
eddyj

Quote:
However I am all for NOT redeeming Ward, have the cajones to kill him off, after all it IS a Whedon show
And even better if they have the cojones do to it, since I am not sure why dresser drawers have to do with it.

eddyj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:25 PM   #14
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinp13 View Post
I'm not wild about all the gadgetry... the joy buzzer was fine, as it directly affected the Garrett story, but some of the others were there just to be used when the writers couldn't think of anything else.
I'm pretty sure that most of that gadgetry was straight from the Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. comic book.

I don't see Ward coming back to the team at all and I don't see the need if Triplett is around.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:04 PM   #15
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Quote:

Yeah, that would make more sense. Considering that Garrett is a total psycho, bereft of any human decency.

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
Old 05-07-2014, 02:23 PM   #16
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post
And even better if they have the cojones do to it, since I am not sure why dresser drawers have to do with it.
Hey! That's my line.

--Carlos V.
Unbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:24 PM   #17
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
I'm pretty sure that most of that gadgetry was straight from the Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. comic book.
The gadgetry brought out "Coulson the collector" again.

--Carlos V.
Unbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:37 PM   #18
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Ward clearly shot into the air and the dog ran off. He even forshadowed before when he had the scope on the deer, saying something like "Stupid dog always runs off when he hears a gunshot". I didn't see the dog die...did I miss something?

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:45 PM   #19
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTigerFan View Post
Ward clearly shot into the air and the dog ran off. He even forshadowed before when he had the scope on the deer, saying something like "Stupid dog always runs off when he hears a gunshot". I didn't see the dog die...did I miss something?
There was a quick shot, just before Ward released the compartment with FitzSimmons into the big blue, of the running dog through the crosshairs of a rifle scope.

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
Old 05-07-2014, 02:47 PM   #20
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbeliever View Post
Hey! That's my line.

--Carlos V.
It's a long time pet peeve for me, like someone going "if he had the sofas for it!". It makes no sense.

eddyj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:18 PM   #21
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
That's my take as well. I also don't remember Garrett actually shooting; I assumed that he was just watching the dog run free through his sight as otherwise it was too far away to see.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:29 PM   #22
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
That's my take as well. I also don't remember Garrett actually shooting; I assumed that he was just watching the dog run free through his sight as otherwise it was too far away to see.
We saw the dog in the sight, but didn't hear a shot, What I took away was that Garrett was watching through the sight and saw Ward's weakness.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:27 PM   #23
Peter000

To me the show clearly implied that Ward shot the dog with the scope rifle. It paralleled him dumping FitzSimmons into the ocean. If they wanted us to believe Garret was watching through the scope, they would have shown him watching through the scope.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:31 PM   #24
Ereth

Question: why?

If Ward couldn't shoot the dog with the pistol, why would he then, within seconds of deciding to let the dog go free, be able to shoot the dog with a rifle?

Sure, it's harder to do it when he's looking you right in the eyes, but the timing doesn't make sense (at least to me).

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:34 PM   #25
Peter000

Misdirection and drama. They wanted to give us hope that Ward didn't shoot the dog, and by extension wouldn't dump FitzSimmons. Then take it away to play with our emotions.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:29 PM   #26
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000 View Post
To me the show clearly implied that Ward shot the dog with the scope rifle. It paralleled him dumping FitzSimmons into the ocean. If they wanted us to believe Garret was watching through the scope, they would have shown him watching through the scope.
The scene with the dog *does* parallel him dumping FitzSimmons in the ocean, but not the way you suggest. Ward "got soft" and let the dog go, just like he "got soft" and just dumped FitzSimmons in the (sealed and possibly buoyant) cargo container rather than killing them like Garrett wanted him to.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:44 PM   #27
john4200

It was a strange scene. I did not see anyone mention the fact that, as the flashback to the dog in the rifle scope concluded and the scene returned to the present, the transition was marked by the loud sound of Ward pulling the release which created a sound much like a rifle shot.

I think it can be interpreted in two ways. Either someone took the shot and killed the dog (either Ward or Garrett) and that parallels Ward "taking the shot" to drop FitzSimmons. Or else the dog did not get shot, but Ward was "making up" for his past weakness with the dog by "taking the shot" now to drop FitzSimmons.

I think that the writers probably had a good idea of what they wanted to imply, but the result was certainly not "clearly implied" as another poster claimed. If they intended to clearly imply something, then the writers and/or director really botched it.

Last edited by john4200 : 05-08-2014 at 05:15 PM.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:45 PM   #28
Ereth

I think they weren't trying to imply anything, but rather to make it vague enough that the viewer could come to either conclusion, leaving it open for debate, as we've been doing.

Old 05-08-2014, 05:05 PM   #29
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
The scene with the dog *does* parallel him dumping FitzSimmons in the ocean, but not the way you suggest. Ward "got soft" and let the dog go, just like he "got soft" and just dumped FitzSimmons in the (sealed and possibly buoyant) cargo container rather than killing them like Garrett wanted him to.
Yes, and both happened after he had spent an extended period in a team with the others (first the dog, and then FitzSimmons). This was very deliberate. It was the entire basis for Garrett ragging on Ward the entire episode about his weakness. None of that would make any sense if Ward had actually shot the dog with the rifle.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:27 PM   #30
latrobe7
Just one more thing

Goth or gaunt?

(OK maybe this detail is a little more significant to the plot, but it does remind me of a LOST thread)
latrobe7 is offline   Reply With Quote