TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > Developers Corner
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-29-2013, 08:01 PM   #1
tlsarles

Building Native Tivo Apps

So, if I am reading this correctly, the HME allows the tivo to control an app which is actually running on a PC somewhere, correct?

I can't see myself spending the time to develop something that only a limited number of power users are going to potentially use. And for that matter, if I was going to go through that sort of trouble to run an app on my TV, I would just hook a Pi up to my TV. Is there any way to actually write native apps, that run directly on the Tivo?
tlsarles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlsarles View Post
So, if I am reading this correctly, the HME allows the tivo to control an app which is actually running on a PC somewhere, correct?
Yes.

Quote:
Is there any way to actually write native apps, that run directly on the Tivo?
No. (The Flash app system, which allowed for apps to run natively after being loaded from the network, is still working and in use, but new developers can't sign up, and it was never fully deployed. The HTML app system is not yet available, and will still be at least a quasi-hosted thing, AFAICT.)

However, I'd try it out before dismissing it. For some applications, the host PC can be your own (i.e. the developer's) server, in which case you just have to persuade potential users to enter an IP address (it won't work with domain names) into a menu, rather than having to run an app on their own PC... Yeah, OK, it kinda sucks either way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 10-30-2013 at 02:05 PM.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:40 PM   #3
telemark

Are newer (than the documentation) boxes still supporting it?

I think I saw support for the Premiere's, but what about Virgin or Roamio's boxes?

Given the resource limitations on a Tivo, I actually prefer offloading onto a PC or a server. But yeah, it does sound like it's a half finished feature.
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:26 PM   #4
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Yes, Roamios still support HME. I have no idea about Virgin.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote