TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-04-2013, 03:26 PM   #1
KenVa

Roamio basic wifi to MoCA mini

I want to get a Roamio basic model and a mini. I would use MoCA to connect the mini to the network. I have Fios so internet access is already available via MoCA. Can I use the built-in wifi in the roamio to stream to the mini? I know this isn't supported, but will it work if my network is fast enough or will the tivo not even try to use it to stream? If it wouldn't use that, how about if I use one of the tivo wifi n adapters that plug into the ethernet port so that it would think it had an ethernet connection?
KenVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:03 PM   #2
jrtroo
User

No, just use ethernet on your basic and MOCA for the mini. Not sure why you would look to use wifi in this scenario, it is not as reliable or speedy.

Last edited by jrtroo : 11-05-2013 at 07:52 AM. Reason: missed that OP has basic model, corrected
jrtroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:48 PM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

It might work, but in my experience wifi isn't reliable enough to sustain the types of streams TiVo uses. (15Mbps+) You really should hardwire the TiVo either through Ethernet or by buying a MoCa adapter.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
No, just use MOCA for both.
The base model doesn't have MOCA.

It will let you stream even if you are using WiFi. But in my experience it doesn't work well. Sometimes it will work flawless and then sometimes it will constantly skip.

You could get an MOCA adapter from TiVo though. I think that would be better than buying a WiFi adapter and about the same cost.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:21 PM   #5
cmshep222

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
The base model doesn't have MOCA.

It will let you stream even if you are using WiFi. But in my experience it doesn't work well. Sometimes it will work flawless and then sometimes it will constantly skip.

You could get an MOCA adapter from TiVo though. I think that would be better than buying a WiFi adapter and about the same cost.
Wifi is built in, so there's no buying wifi adapters for Roamio
cmshep222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:40 PM   #6
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmshep222 View Post
Wifi is built in, so there's no buying wifi adapters for Roamio
Yes, but the original poster was talking about using the wifi-n adapter for the TiVo (that is actually a wireless ethernet bridge) in order to fool it into thinking it was wired. But there is no actual restriction to use MRS to the Mini but wireless just doesn't work well. Either use ethernet or moca would be my recommendation.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:40 AM   #7
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Use a MoCA adapter on the TiVo or buy a real TiVo.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:42 AM   #8
jcthorne

The OP has a Roamio, does not get more real or current than that. If he does not have an Ethernet connection available at the Roamio location, he will need a Moca adapter to allow network connection over the coax. Pretty simple really.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote