TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:45 PM   #241
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Told you!
Did you?

My last guess before seeing the comparison was 1/4" (many pages ago... hard to find!). Your guess was 1/2".

Then my second guess after seeing the side-by-side picture was 4 to 6 mm, and that is about 1/4".

overFEDEXed claims 1/4". So I win!!!! You owe me a Slide Pro!!
Old 11-20-2013, 06:55 PM   #242
overFEDEXed

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
LOTS of us have that problem. There are whole threads on the problem- the Slide "glitching".

They start off great and then after several months of use, they start to glitch. I have had two do it and it makes the remote almost useless. As much as I love the Slide, it was a HUGE waste of money having to buy two and both going bad and not under warranty.

It makes me very hesitant to throw yet more money at any type of "Slide" now. Although I will probably do it anyway.
I have owned five Bluetooth Slides. I'm still using three, plus one new one, still in the box.

I can tell you that with the Elite and two-tuner Premiere, the Blutooth was aggravating.
I had one that was worse than the rest. I got rid of it.

I don't know if you have tried a BT with a Roamio, but the difference is like night and day. (For me anyway) Also, I use Sanyo Eneloop rechargable batteries. I noticed that when they got low, the response was slower.
overFEDEXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:04 PM   #243
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by overFEDEXed View Post
I don't know if you have tried a BT with a Roamio, but the difference is like night and day. (For me anyway)
Yes I have. And there is absolutely no difference (both when it was working, and when it started to fail). Same response speed as on the Premiere (although the Roamio ACTS on things faster, but that is because the Romio *is* much faster). Same failures (one failed on Premiere-only use, and now one on the Roamio that was on the Premiere for a while). And both failed after many months of working perfectly. And they were bought from different sources and over a year apart.

Quote:
Also, I use Sanyo Eneloop rechargable batteries. I noticed that when they got low, the response was slower.
Mine has Eneloop in it right now. And they are nowhere near low.

But all this has been hashed and rehashed many times. The apparent conclusion is that the Slides go defective and for no known reason. Yes, some people have issues with reception/interference. SOME will fail due to a ribbon cable dislodging (which can be fixed). But most reporting such glitching problems fail for no known reason and can never be repaired.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=456559
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=463987

The glitching failures severely tainted an otherwise spectacular product.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:12 PM   #244
overFEDEXed

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
Did you?

My last guess before seeing the comparison was 1/4" (many pages ago... hard to find!). Your guess was 1/2".

Then my second guess after seeing the side-by-side picture was 4 to 6 mm, and that is about 1/4".

overFEDEXed claims 1/4". So I win!!!! You owe me a Slide Pro!!
I had better get another measurement, just in case.

The New Slide (Pro) is just a little more than 1/4 inch longer, than the Old Slide (Bluetooth)
Old 11-20-2013, 08:38 PM   #245
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
I have owned five Bluetooth Slides. I'm still using three, plus one new one, still in the box.

I can tell you that with the Elite and two-tuner Premiere, the Blutooth was aggravating.
I had one that was worse than the rest. I got rid of it.

I don't know if you have tried a BT with a Roamio, but the difference is like night and day. (For me anyway) Also, I use Sanyo Eneloop rechargable batteries. I noticed that when they got low, the response was slower.
I use the Eneloop XX batteries in my Slides. They last longer than the regular Eneloops.

Fortunately my three BT slides never had any issues. Hopefully the four Pro Slides I got will be just as resilient.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:55 PM   #246
sneagle
Addicted Member

Got mine today. Tried to connect but had some issues. I think much of the issue was my inability to read the directions properly. Still, in the process of troubleshooting I unplugged the mini and it installed an update.

All's well that ends well.
sneagle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:13 PM   #247
moyekj

Got mine tonight. At first I couldn't get it RF paired to my Roamio Pro at all. I finally ended up 1st unpairing the original RF remote that came with the Roamio and then the Slide Pro pairing worked. Maybe the need to unpair previous RF remote was an obvious step to some, but it wasn't for me.

Main reason I got Slide Pro was for the "learning" function and of course that is not working. My old S3 OLED Glo Remote learns fine from the same TV remote (Insignia) that the Slide Pro fails for. VERY DISAPPOINTING.

EDIT: Another strange thing: With my original Roamio Pro RF remote when I used TV related buttons (mute, vol, etc) the TiVo button would light up Red indicating IR mode. The Slide Pro remote lights up yellow (RF mode) for the TV buttons. What's up with that?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by moyekj : 11-20-2013 at 09:27 PM.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:45 PM   #248
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Got mine tonight. At first I couldn't get it RF paired to my Roamio Pro at all. I finally ended up 1st unpairing the original RF remote that came with the Roamio and then the Slide Pro pairing worked. Maybe the need to unpair previous RF remote was an obvious step to some, but it wasn't for me.

Main reason I got Slide Pro was for the "learning" function and of course that is not working. My old S3 OLED Glo Remote learns fine from the same TV remote (Insignia) that the Slide Pro fails for. VERY DISAPPOINTING.

EDIT: Another strange thing: With my original Roamio Pro RF remote when I used TV related buttons (mute, vol, etc) the TiVo button would light up Red indicating IR mode. The Slide Pro remote lights up yellow (RF mode) for the TV buttons. What's up with that?
I did not need to unpair the Roamio remotes that came with my boxes. The BT slide remote was still connected and the original Roamio RF remote was connected. I just followed the instructions that came with the Pro SLide.

I put the batteries in the Pro Slide, then I went to the remote section on the Romaio and selected #5 which is pairing. And then the Pro Slide started working with the Roamio. I could still use my BT slide and the original RF Roamio remote.

I had the same results with my BAsic Roamio and my Roamio Pro. All my Roamio remotes flash Amber indicating they are using RF.

I did not try any learning functions. I entered the codes for a Denon receiver for two of the Pro Slides. The code for a Sony speaker bar for another Pro Slide. And for the fourth Slide I entered the code for a Toshiba TV. The Pro Slides controlled those devices the same as my BT slides, Roamio remotes, and Premiere remotes did.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:53 PM   #249
jwbelcher

Quote:

Original slide was that way too. It lit up blue for TV rather than amber.
Sony SAT-T60 + Turbonet (Retired)
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:05 PM   #250
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbelcher View Post
Original slide was that way too. It lit up blue for TV rather than amber.
Correct.

Would be nice if they were consistent with the colors, though....
Old 11-20-2013, 10:13 PM   #251
aaronwt
HD Addict

Wasn't it Blue for Bluetooth

All my Roamio remotes have always lit up amber. Except when I went out of range on purpose, and then I saw the led flash red when I pressed buttons but when I came back into range it went back to amber.

Any button presses of TV power, mute, and volume still show as amber on all my Roamio remotes even though it is using IR to control those devices.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:33 PM   #252
tinkererguy

Just posted some photos comparing the remote the TiVo Roamio comes with, versus the new TiVo Slide Pro Remote. Side-by-side pics accentuate the differences (a little tighter button spacing vertically), and the short video highlights some other differences as well, including weight.
TinkerTry.com/quick-look-at-the-tivo-slide-pro-remote
Sony KDL-55HX800 55" TV
Sony STR-DA5600ES Amp
Sony RM-VL900 remote
DIRECTV '96-'06, Cox HD '06-present
tinkererguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:36 PM   #253
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Any button presses of TV power, mute, and volume still show as amber on all my Roamio remotes even though it is using IR to control those devices.
That's odd. My RF remote that came with my Roamio Pro did not behave that way. The IR buttons lit up red instead of amber which I thought was a good feature.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:42 PM   #254
moyekj

Sigh... Just learned the hard way that the backlight function on the Slide Pro remote can't be turned off. I don't care for that feature and would rather have it off to help save battery. That issue is on me for not doing my homework, but I expected the Slide Pro to be better than my ancient S3 Glo remote which can be turned off. I'll probably just end up using my original Roamio remote as there's nothing better about the Slide Pro that I care about since Learning doesn't work with my TV remote - will give the Slide to my wife to use with her Premiere.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:10 PM   #255
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
That's odd. My RF remote that came with my Roamio Pro did not behave that way. The IR buttons lit up red instead of amber which I thought was a good feature.
I remember other people mentioning it being red when I first got my Roamio, but my replacement Roamio remote also showed amber for me. And then my Roamio Basic remote did too. And now all four of my Slide Pro remotes also show Amber. So I figure after using seven remotes with the same results, that it was supposed to be showing Amber
Old 11-21-2013, 04:50 AM   #256
overFEDEXed

Quote:
Sigh... Just learned the hard way that the backlight function on the Slide Pro remote can't be turned off. I don't care for that feature and would rather have it off to help save battery. That issue is on me for not doing my homework, but I expected the Slide Pro to be better than my ancient S3 Glo remote which can be turned off. I'll probably just end up using my original Roamio remote as there's nothing better about the Slide Pro that I care about since Learning doesn't work with my TV remote - will give the Slide to my wife to use with her Premiere.
I didn't see that either. Good catch. I also assumed that the Pro would include that feature.

From the Tivo site;
To turn the backlight off
Press and hold the TiVo and Thumbs Down buttons until the activity light blinks three times, and then press Clear.

IMPORTANT: The backlight on the Slide Pro remote can't be turned off.

FYI for those that want details;
Comparing the old and new Slides, the backlight on the new, stays on just a little longer. Also, the "pause" button on the new, is much brighter. I can find that button easily, so that makes no difference to me. The "Tivo" button at the top, is fully lit on the new, compared to the old.

Aaron, it looks like I will be buying those Eneloop XX's, over my regular Eneloop's, if I decide to buy more Pro's. The way that we use our remotes around here, that is definitely a strong negative, especially when factoring in the range difference, in my house.

Last edited by overFEDEXed : 11-21-2013 at 05:17 AM.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:43 AM   #257
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Aaron, it looks like I will be buying those Eneloop XX's, over my regular Eneloop's, if I decide to buy more Pro's. The way that we use our remotes around here, that is definitely a strong negative, especially when factoring in the range difference, in my house.
Alkalines in my Slide Classic last 9 months to a year. And that is with backlight and several hours "use" every day.

Assuming the Slide Pro is similar, I don't see what the big deal is about the backlight....
Old 11-21-2013, 07:38 AM   #258
aaronwt
HD Addict

Wouldn't the backlight just be from an LED? IF so you would think an LED should not draw much power.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:57 PM   #259
generaltso

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkererguy View Post
Just posted some photos comparing the remote the TiVo Roamio comes with, versus the new TiVo Slide Pro Remote. Side-by-side pics accentuate the differences (a little tighter button spacing vertically), and the short video highlights some other differences as well, including weight.
TinkerTry.com/quick-look-at-the-tivo-slide-pro-remote
You have this listed under Roamio Remote:

Bluetooth and IR (for no-line-of-sight use, requires dongle that it shipped with, even on the Roamio)

That's true of the original Slide remote, but not the Roamio remote.
generaltso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #260
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Also, I use Sanyo Eneloop rechargable batteries. I noticed that when they got low, the response was slower.
Duh! I just put new batteries in my Slide and it seems much better. I don't use it much so I just assumed it was going bad or there was some interference, I didn't even consider it might be the batteries.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 03:50 PM   #261
swerver

My slide was initially a little wonky, so I got a 6 foot usb entension cable and routed it out in the open air, (though still mostly hidden) since my tivo is in a closed cabinet. I know that isn't supposed to matter, but this way it has worked flawlessly for me, both on my old premiere and now on my roamio.
swerver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #262
Dan203
Super Moderator

You know the Slide came with a short 3-4' USB extension cable? I didn't until yesterday when I found the box and saw it taped under the plastic shell the remote sits in.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:07 PM   #263
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

Yes got my new slide pro and man it is just as sexy as the first slide remote....
Surrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:58 PM   #264
Dan203
Super Moderator

Crap I think mine might have got delivered to the wrong address. I just checked the tracking and it says it was delivered this morning at 7:30am to somewhere in Reno, NV and signed for by someone named NEVEL. I live in Carson City, NV and my UPS guy doesn't usually come until about now. (~4:00pm)

I double checked the email I got from TiVo and it had the right address listed so I don't know how that could happen.

If it doesn't show up today I'm going to have to call TiVo and see what they'll do for me.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:13 PM   #265
bearcat2000

Just wondering if anyone who has a new Slide Pro remote is having the same RF issues lots of people, including me, are having with the standard Roamio RF remote. Does it ever want to click out of RF and show red IR?
bearcat2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:17 PM   #266
Dan203
Super Moderator

Could this be caused by interference? Do you have any other 2.4Ghz devices near by? BlueTooth devices, wifi adapaters, cordless phones?

Did you get the one with the dongle? If so try using it and see if it works any better. Maybe the RF portion of your actual Roamio is bad.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:58 PM   #267
moyekj

Quote:
Tried several more times to get this working. What I'm trying to do that worked with my Glo Remote is my TV remote has an "hdmi" button which automatically cycles through each hdmi input that has a live connection with each press. This is much more useful than the default action of entering the 4 digit code associated with TV which for input button simply brings up the input switcher menu with no ability to arrow up/down to actually select an input.

So with my Glo Remote I'm able to learn from TV "hdmi" button as "input" button on TiVo remote so I can change video inputs on TV. The Slide Pro so far cannot learn that or any other button from my TV remote. Actually one time it did learn something (4 slow blinks instead of the usual 10 quick blinks that indicate learning failed), but using the input button it was then sending the equivalent of 2 hdmi button presses. That is no good and since then I haven't been able to reproduce even that again, but it does show there is some ability there. I even tried using Slide Pro to learn from my Glo Remote input button but that doesn't work either. In fact, it can't learn any button press from my Glo Remote either, not even regular TiVo buttons, so it seems to me like Learning is either not working properly at all or has very limited learning ability. Hardly worthy of being called a "learning" remote if that function doesn't work...

Last edited by moyekj : 11-21-2013 at 08:03 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:49 PM   #268
swerver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
You know the Slide came with a short 3-4' USB extension cable? I didn't until yesterday when I found the box and saw it taped under the plastic shell the remote sits in.
Mine came with a cable but it was more like 1 foot, so not long enough to get out of the cabinet. I did try using it first, so the dongle could sit on top of or next to the tivo instead of behind it, but it didn't help.
swerver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:54 PM   #269
bogart

I was considering ordering one of these when Amazon gets them (no shipping or taxes), but now that I learned that the original Roamio remote can be programed to control on/off on BOTH my TV and my receiver, as well as volume on the receiver, I'm not so sure.

(Do they keep this a secret in order to sell more Slide Pros?)

I don't need this remote to change inputs since I have a Harmony One for that. I don't need RF for my Minis, since IR is working fine in my current set up.

The keyboard will occasionally be useful (I often have my iPad handy and type through the TiVo app), and I would really like to have the light, but I'm not sure I really need this.

(Not that this would stop me from buying one anyway.)

Have I missed any other advantages?

Roamio Pro
Mini X2
bogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:02 PM   #270
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogart View Post
I was considering ordering one of these when Amazon gets them (no shipping or taxes), but now that I learned that the original Roamio remote can be programed to control on/off on BOTH my TV and my receiver, as well as volume on the receiver, I'm not so sure.

(Do they keep this a secret in order to sell more Slide Pros?)

I don't need this remote to change inputs since I have a Harmony One for that. I don't need RF for my Minis, since IR is working fine in my current set up.

The keyboard will occasionally be useful (I often have my iPad handy and type through the TiVo app), and I would really like to have the light, but I'm not sure I really need this.

(Not that this would stop me from buying one anyway.)

Have I missed any other advantages?
Are you sure the Roamio remote can power on/off your receiver? I have an Onkyo receiver that has separate buttons for on/off, so none of the codes ever work for it. But with the learning capabilities I can teach it both the on/off commands and it simply ignores whatever one it doesn't need. (Probably because they're too close together for it to respond to both.