TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.91 average.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:11 PM   #211
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyf View Post
Didn't have to use the cable for the dongle, was able to plug it in directly in the back.
They probably supply a cable so that you can put the dongle somewhere easy to reach so you can press the remote finder button.

Mine wont be here until Thursday.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:09 PM   #212
darkslide29

Can I buy the remote WITH the dongle for my 4-tuner Roamio, just so that I can have the remote "find me" feature with the dongle?
It is my understanding that only the 6-tuner models offer the built in "find me" feature, and my 4-tuner TiVo is out of luck. This way, I can essentially add find me to my 4-tuner Tivo.

Are there any other differences I should be aware of? I still want to be able to use it in RF mode, just as if I am buying the "correct" model.
I am nervous since the TiVo Store page calls the one with the dongle the "Premiere and Mini model". I will be using it exclusively on my 4-tuner Roamio.

Thanks for anyone who can share some insight! I did try reading through these 8 pages for the answer and couldn't nail it down.

EDIT: Online support has told me that "The dongle would not be compatible with your unit if it is a Roameo." [Roamio misspelling is hers, so I have my doubts of accuracy lol]

Does this sound about right?
Online Documentation says that to use Find Me, the button on the dongle is pressed and released to find the remote (even if it is in IR mode). If the mode doesn't matter, then it shouldn't care that the Remote is paired to my Roamio through built-in RF, and the dongle is just going to be used for Find Me.

Now I think I should be able to: 1) Pair the new Slide Remote to my TiVo without the dongle, 2) Insert dongle and occasionally use that to find my remote, never actually pairing the remote with the dongle.
(Since Find Me will work in IR mode, this means it was never paired anyway, I think)

It's just one of those neat features that would put it over the top for me.
If no one knows, I will have to be the guinea pig.

Last edited by darkslide29 : 11-19-2013 at 04:45 PM.
darkslide29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:31 PM   #213
steve614
what ru lookin at?

There's certainly no harm in trying it.

Me thinks since the Roamio is already set up to use it, it will just ignore the dongle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:10 PM   #214
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
They probably supply a cable so that you can put the dongle somewhere easy to reach so you can press the remote finder button.
The primary reason they include the cable is so you can move the dongle above the metal case for better reception. This is exactly what I did with the original Slide and it extended the range by about 25%.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:27 PM   #215
overFEDEXed

Slide Pro "Unboxing"

Man, they could have put a Roamio Basic in this big box, almost. They did want to make sure that it arrived safely. Bubble, bubble wrapped envelope.

Anyway, picture #6 in the next post, shows from bottom to top, The Bluetooth Slide, The Slide Pro, then The Basic Roamio remote. I do like the feel of the buttons a lot better on the Slide Pro, than the Bluetooth Slide. I like the matte black (Pro) better than the gloss black (Bluetooth) also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 2.jpg (43.0 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg photo 3.jpg (40.2 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg photo 1.jpg (48.8 KB, 77 views)

Last edited by overFEDEXed : 11-20-2013 at 05:33 AM.
overFEDEXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:34 PM   #216
overFEDEXed

Slide Pro continued

More pictures..Yes, the Old Slide is a little dusty.

No more rocking on the Kitchen table, with the Pro.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 4.jpg (37.4 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg photo6.jpg (55.7 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg photo5.jpg (42.0 KB, 103 views)

Last edited by overFEDEXed : 11-19-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:49 PM   #217
AdamNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by overFEDEXed View Post
Man, they could have put a Roamio Basic in this big box, almost. They did want to make sure that it arrived safely. Bubble, bubble wrapped envelope.

Anyway, picture #6 in the next post, shows from bottom to top, The Bluetooth Slide, The Slide Pro, then The Basic Roamio remote. I do like the feel of the buttons a lot better on the Slide Pro, than the Bluetooth Slide. I like the matte black (Pro) better than the gloss black (Bluetooth) also.
So the sizes of the slide pro and the basic roamio remote are different? The slide pro is smaller? Or is it just perspective/angle of the camera??

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:54 PM   #218
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNJ View Post
So the sizes of the slide pro and the basic roamio remote are different? The slide pro is smaller? Or is it just perspective/angle of the camera??
The Slide has always been smaller than any OEM TiVo remote... that is not a surprise.

The only question has been if the Slide Pro was the same size as the Slide Classic. From the photo supplied, it does appear the Pro is slightly larger than the Classic, although the angle and position make it difficult to say exactly how much, perhaps just 4 to 6 mm.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:09 AM   #219
DM3MD157

Getting mine tomorrow!
DM3MD157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:45 AM   #220
aaronwt
HD Addict

Me too!!!

My two orders converged again in Roanoke VA.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:52 AM   #221
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
it does appear the Pro is slightly larger than the Classic.
Told you!
Old 11-20-2013, 03:46 AM   #222
Devx

Keep the first impressions and user experience posts coming. I plan to purchase 2 for the holidays although I may hold out for a local BB purchase.

My goal is to buy 2 new Slide Pros (w/ adapters) for each of the Roamios and use one of the old Roamio remotes on my Premiere w/ the new adapter.

Can someone with a Premiere (and the new fall update) confirm if the new dongle enables use of the regular Roamio remote in RF mode? I'm thinking it should, but want to be sure.
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:07 AM   #223
overFEDEXed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devx View Post
Keep the first impressions and user experience posts coming. I plan to purchase 2 for the holidays although I may hold out for a local BB purchase.

My goal is to buy 2 new Slide Pros (w/ adapters) for each of the Roamios and use one of the old Roamio remotes on my Premiere w/ the new adapter.

Can someone with a Premiere (and the new fall update) confirm if the new dongle enables use of the regular Roamio remote in RF mode? I'm thinking it should, but want to be sure.
I have one Premiere left, but it hasn't been activated so...can't help you there. It's going on eBay and will be the last of my " old inventory".

On the comparison;

The Pro is a little wider, a hair thicker and half of an inch shorter than the Roamio base remote. Sorry I don't have metric measurements. I'm just eyeballing. The first two are really negligible, to me anyway.

Comparing the Pro Slide to the Bluetooth Slide, the Bluetooth is a quarter inch shorter than the Pro. Basically it's shorter and fatter.

This kind of reminds me of the Steve Jobs "vision". He didn't want to make the iPhone screen taller and wider because of the one-handed, finger radius thing. With the Pro, it SEEMS like I don't have to re-position the remote in my hand, to get around on it as well.

I will have to try it out for a few more days to be sure.

On the buttons;
The Bluetooth Slide has the smallest, hardest buttons. They seem almost tiny now, compared to the other two remotes. The Pro and Roamio basic remotes have much softer buttons, with the Roamio basic having the larger, easier to find, of the the two.

Last edited by overFEDEXed : 11-20-2013 at 06:22 AM.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:21 AM   #224
ScubaCat
Shades of Blue......

I received my new Slide Pro remote yesterday. It is a little heavier than the standard remote (as you would expect with the addition of the keyboard) but I got use to it quickly. I wasn’t sure how much I would use the keyboard but I set up two new wish lists last night and it was really comfortable typing with the remote. I am also glad to have the backlit keys again. I keep forgetting where they moved the Mute key. I love it!
ScubaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:37 AM   #225
Ash Sharma

So - Please correct me here...
The original Slide was a Bluetooth connected...
And the new version does not have bluetooth?
Ash Sharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:43 AM   #226
ScaryMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Sharma View Post
So - Please correct me here...
The original Slide was a Bluetooth connected...
And the new version does not have bluetooth?
Correct. The Slide Pro uses RF and/or IR. No Bluetooth.

"(Radio Frequency remote control) A handheld, wireless device used to operate audio, video and other electronic equipment using radio frequency (RF) transmission. Unlike the more common infrared (IR) remotes, RF remotes do not require line of sight and do not have to be aimed at the equipment. In fact, RF remotes can be operated from another room."
ScaryMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:56 PM   #227
swerver

A few weeks ago, I was complaining about the roamio youtube app not responding to the bluetooth slide keyboard. Can someone test this for me - if you launch youtube, and go to search, can you type in a search query? What if you hit the new search button while in youtube - does it do anything in youtube (and can you type in a search then?), or does it drop you out of the app and to the main tivo search. Or maybe it does nothing when in the app. Would appreciate it thanks!
swerver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:14 PM   #228
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryMike View Post

Correct. The Slide Pro uses RF and/or IR. No Bluetooth.

"(Radio Frequency remote control) A handheld, wireless device used to operate audio, video and other electronic equipment using radio frequency (RF) transmission. Unlike the more common infrared (IR) remotes, RF remotes do not require line of sight and do not have to be aimed at the equipment. In fact, RF remotes can be operated from another room."
FYI, Bluetooth is also RF. it's just different frequencies and modulation schemes.
HarperVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:45 PM   #229
Ash Sharma

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
FYI, Bluetooth is also RF. it's just different frequencies and modulation schemes.
OK - So which one of the two (old Slide or New Slide) will have longer range?
Or is the range the same?
My questions arise from the fact that I have one old Slide (bluetooth) and have ordered two New Slides (RF).
One of my Mini is in my dedicated theater in a rack system system in the lobby of the theater - should I use the Bluetooth or the RF for this system?
The others are in bedroom TV and living room so I guess the RF Slide will be more effective..
Thanks for your response.
Ash Sharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:55 PM   #230
overFEDEXed

Bluetooth

Quote:
My questions arise from the fact that I have one old Slide (bluetooth) and have ordered two New Slides (RF).
One of my Mini is in my dedicated theater in a rack system system in the lobby of the theater - should I use the Bluetooth or the RF for this system?
The others are in bedroom TV and living room so I guess the RF Slide will be more effective..

On mine I would say Bluetooth. It flakes out sometimes, but it travels through two or three rooms, to get to the TiVo. The RF Pro barely makes it one room over.

I will test more this evening.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:22 PM   #231
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Actually they're both 2.4Ghz, so it's only the modulation that's different.

BT has a license fee, they probably used this new scheme to avoid paying that.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:22 PM   #232
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Based on the Roamio remote range I would say the new one. My Roamio remote will work basically anywhere in my condo. While that is not the case with the BT slides I have.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:43 PM   #233
overFEDEXed

Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
There's certainly no harm in trying it.

Me thinks since the Roamio is already set up to use it, it will just ignore the dongle.
This is true. I had my Bluetooth Slide and my Pro Slide dongles, plugged into my Roamio Plus, at the same time. Both worked.

Last edited by overFEDEXed : 11-20-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:57 PM   #234
overFEDEXed

In my house, The Bluetooth (old Slide) wins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Based on the Roamio remote range I would say the new one. My Roamio remote will work basically anywhere in my condo. While that is not the case with the BT slides I have.
My house is 65 feet across. My Tivo's are all in one location, in my Living room. While operating my Roamio plus, the Slide Pro starts flashing red, at about 35 feet away.
The Bluetooth (Old Slide) keeps on and on and on.

The Bluetooth Slide can control the Plus, from ANYWHERE in my house. I know that most people don't have the same situation as me, but these are my results.

I'm glad that I bought four of them, one is still brand new in the box.

Also, I still like the feel of the buttons on the Pro Slide, better.

Last edited by overFEDEXed : 11-20-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:09 PM   #235
Dan203
Super Moderator

My old Slide doesn't work well. I get missed button presses all the time. Although that could be because I also have a PC with BT and a BT mouse in the same room.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:11 PM   #236
Beryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
My old Slide doesn't work well. I get missed button presses all the time. Although that could be because I also have a PC with BT and a BT mouse in the same room.
I had the same problem with no other BT in the room.
Beryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:22 PM   #237
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by overFEDEXed View Post
My house is 65 feet across. My Tivo's are all in one location, in my Living room. While operating my Roamio plus, the Slide Pro starts flashing red, at about 35 feet away.
The Bluetooth (Old Slide) keeps on and on and on.

The Bluetooth Slide can control the Plus, from ANYWHERE in my house. I know that most people don't have the same situation as me, but these are my results.

I'm glad that I bought four of them, one is still brand new in the box.

Also, I still like the feel of the buttons on the Pro Slide, better.
I just finished setting up my four slides. I'm having the same results as the Roamio remotes. I can use them form anywhere but my BT Slides only make halfway.

The BT slides won't send a signal through the firewall in the middle of my condo. But the Pro slides have no issue on the other side of the firewall. I also never had any issue with missed button presses on my BT slides. I just hope I can easily sell them now.

So far I am really liking these Pro Slides. I'll need to use them some more over the next few days but so far I definitely like them better than the BT slides.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:32 PM   #238
AdamNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerver View Post
A few weeks ago, I was complaining about the roamio youtube app not responding to the bluetooth slide keyboard. Can someone test this for me - if you launch youtube, and go to search, can you type in a search query? What if you hit the new search button while in youtube - does it do anything in youtube (and can you type in a search then?), or does it drop you out of the app and to the main tivo search. Or maybe it does nothing when in the app. Would appreciate it thanks!
FYI, according to Tivo Margret's post, there is a software fix coming for exactly this issue.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...23#post9903123

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:36 PM   #239
overFEDEXed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
I had that problem, mainly with my old Elite or two-tuner.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:37 PM   #240
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
LOTS of us have that problem. There are whole threads on the problem- the Slide "glitching".

They start off great and then after several months of use, they start to glitch. I have had two do it and it makes the remote almost useless. As much as I love the Slide, it was a HUGE waste of money having to buy two and both going bad and not under warranty.

It makes me very hesitant to throw yet more money at any type of "Slide" now. Although I will probably do it anyway.