TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.93 average.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:08 PM   #181
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX09MD View Post
Its only 8.54 but who cares.
Hey, ya don't ask... ya don't get...
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:33 PM   #182
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
I didn't see anything there that stated the ability to have more than one remote paired to a single Tivo. I did see where you can pair one, but it doesn't say whether or not that drops any previous pairing. Is there something that says that, or has anyone actually done it? RF-paired more than one remote to a single Roamio?
Look at the last sentence in the Overall section:
NOTE: Roamio Series DVRs can be paired with up to 10 remote controls.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:52 PM   #183
JGC650I

Got mine this evening. Sprang for the one-day shipping because I'm out of town early next week and didn't want to risk the package left on the porch. For those asking about the learning function, it is briefly mentioned as a feature/function of the remote in the instructions, but refers to support.tivo.com for details of process. Paired up remote to my Roamio and it's working great. Definitely worth the 50 bucks IMO!
JGC650I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:10 PM   #184
telemark

I'm in interested in the USB dongle, like what are the ID's or what drivers load when plugged in to a PC/WIn/Mac.

The previous Slide USB thing showed 4 ID's, which was kinda highly odd.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:49 PM   #185
djjuice

I'd love to get one for my parents along with their roamio I previously ordered. but shipping to Alaska is over $20 alone. shipping to WA along with tax adds an extra $13. I just don't see the value in the extra $13 spend when i'm pretty sure this will show up in best buy as we get closer to the holidays.
djjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:51 PM   #186
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjuice View Post
I'd love to get one for my parents along with their roamio I previously ordered. but shipping to Alaska is over $20 alone. shipping to WA along with tax adds an extra $13. I just don't see the value in the extra $13 spend when i'm pretty sure this will show up in best buy as we get closer to the holidays.
Maybe not...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...89#post9896889
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:48 PM   #187
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerver View Post
I'm trying to follow how having 2 identical remotes controlling the same box is useful... and I just keep imagining a couple, each with a remote in hand, battling for tv supremacy.

"House Hunters!"
"Football!"
"I said House Hunters!"
No, it's never about simultaneous use. It's all about me not having to go digging to find where ever the Hell my wife or child left the other one. I'll put mine where I want it. When there's two they know enough to NEVER use the one that's mine. Daddy's great with getting and setting up all the toys, but DO NOT move his toys...
Old 11-16-2013, 03:07 AM   #188
Icarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
We're very pleased that our new Slide Pro remote is now available. However, because it is so close to the holidays, we don't expect broader retail availability of the new remote until after the holiday season.
Too bad.

the only option for HI is $31.50 shipping.

There's better/cheaper ways to ship to Hawaii. Tivo has never offered them.

-David
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:28 AM   #189
I WANT MORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGC650I View Post
Got mine this evening. Sprang for the one-day shipping because I'm out of town early next week and didn't want to risk the package left on the porch. For those asking about the learning function, it is briefly mentioned as a feature/function of the remote in the instructions, but refers to support.tivo.com for details of process. Paired up remote to my Roamio and it's working great. Definitely worth the 50 bucks IMO!
So, Are you able to control the Roamio, AVR, and TV?
I WANT MORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:00 PM   #190
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post

Too bad.

the only option for HI is $31.50 shipping.

There's better/cheaper ways to ship to Hawaii. Tivo has never offered them.

-David
I know, it's utterly ridiculous David. I know for a fact you can ship using FedEx and ups ground services to and from HI and I have told them and other online companies on numerous occasions this fact and they simply refuse to do anything about it. I tried shipping a premiere 4 and two minis here a year or so ago and they were going to charge over $200 in shipping alone, so of course I cancelled. They're missing out on a potentially large market here. Their business sense and decisions baffle me to no end!
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:06 PM   #191
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
I know, it's utterly ridiculous David. I know for a fact you can ship using FedEx and ups ground services to and from HI
This didn't use to be the case. I use to work at a print shop that did a lot of UPS shipping and back then (~7 years ago) shipping to HI or AL required you to use 2nd day air minimum. Maybe this policy has changed since then, but I'm betting a lot of companies still have system which assume 2nd day air is still required for those states and that's why the prices are so high.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #192
Icarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
This didn't use to be the case. I use to work at a print shop that did a lot of UPS shipping and back then (~7 years ago) shipping to HI or AL required you to use 2nd day air minimum. Maybe this policy has changed since then, but I'm betting a lot of companies still have system which assume 2nd day air is still required for those states and that's why the prices are so high.
Maybe you're thinking of overnight shipping?

You can ship UPS or FedEx ground to Hawaii, it's much cheaper. The package travels by ground to the gateway city then by air to Hawaii. The ground charts show this service so you know how long it will take.

Or you can ship USPS priority mail, especially cost effective for small packages like the remote.

Amazon does it cost effectively, so do many other companies.

If TiVo wanted to do it, they could. They're just not interested in making it cost effective, so they only offer rather expensive 2 or 3 day air options, which is odd because they do offer UPS ground service for mainland customers, don't they?

-David
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:37 PM   #193
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
Maybe you're thinking of overnight shipping?

You can ship UPS or FedEx ground to Hawaii, it's much cheaper. The package travels by ground to the gateway city then by air to Hawaii. The ground charts show this service so you know how long it will take.
Nope. Back when I worked at the print shop if you attempted to ship anything to AK or HI via UPS the software would automatically set the minimum service level to 2nd day air. There was no option to ship ground to either of those states. We didn't do FedEx or USPS so I'm not sure if they had the same restrictions.

Edit: Just looked it up and apparently UPS started offering ground service to AK/HI in 2005. Prior to that 2nd day air was minimum service. I didn't realize it was so long ago. You'd think companies would have updated their systems by now.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:43 PM   #194
keenanSR

Where do these remotes ship from? I know darn well they don't come from San Jose as $8.54 to go from San Jose CA to 70 miles north in Santa Rosa is an insane amount of money. I recently shipped a Harmony remote from Santa Rosa CA to a residence in Long Island NY and it cost about $4.50($3.60 without) including sig service, and it took only 2 days. Shipped first class.
keenanSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:45 PM   #195
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenanSR View Post
Where do these remotes ship from? I know darn well they don't come from San Jose as $8.54 to go from San Jose CA to 70 miles north in Santa Rosa is an insane amount of money. I recently shipped a Harmony remote from Santa Rosa CA to a residence in Long Island NY and it cost about $4.50($3.60 without) including sig service, and it took only 2 days. Shipped first class.
Mine shipped from Texas.
Old 11-16-2013, 03:00 PM   #196
keenanSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Mine shipped from Texas.
Yes, I thought about that as I think that's where the TiVos themselves come from. $8.50 is still high though, not a deal breaker, I was more curious about it as it seems as if it's a flat rate instead of a rate from a rate table/schedule based on distance/time.
Old 11-16-2013, 03:35 PM   #197
overFEDEXed

Shipping discounts

I used to work at FedEx, hence the user name.

Anyway, I know that some our bigger clients used Powership, where they generated their own labels. Some of them got big discounts.

What I really miss is the discount that we received, 75% off the standard shipping rates. It was great around Christmas time. Sometimes, we could even give our FedEx account number, to companies that we were making personal orders from, instead of paying their crazy rates.
overFEDEXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:01 PM   #198
HarperVision

Lets face it. TiVo and many other companies use shipping costs as another revenue stream by charging more than it costs them, even with their labor, etc factored in.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:18 PM   #199
keenanSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Lets face it. TiVo and many other companies use shipping costs as another revenue stream by charging more than it costs them, even with their labor, etc factored in.
That was pretty much was I was thinking.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:52 PM   #200
aaronwt
HD Addict

I thought it was unusual to have shipping costs reflect the actual cost of shipping a product?
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:05 PM   #201
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
Look at the last sentence in the Overall section:
NOTE: Roamio Series DVRs can be paired with up to 10 remote controls.
Ah, must've missed that (hate nested text like that). THAT definitely moves it up on my purchase list. It'll get bumped a week now that my wife's seen our son's new Dell all-in-one and wants one for her desk too...
Old 11-18-2013, 04:04 PM   #202
Philmatic

In for one... will get the ones for the Mini's when I order my Mini's Still hoping for a refresh for the Mini to update it to the Roamio branding and add Gigabit/MoCA bridging capabilities.
Philmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:17 PM   #203
Sixto

TC CLUB MEMBER
Ordered one just to get the dongle for the Mini.
Sixto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:36 PM   #204
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixto View Post
Ordered one just to get the dongle for the Mini.
I'll take the remote if you don't need it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:05 PM   #205
Sixto

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
I'll take the remote if you don't need it.
Yeah, will see how it goes. I love the Roamio remote, just wish there was a dongle ordering option with the base Roamio remote. Slowly building up my Roamio experience, after so many years over at DBSTalk.

And thanks for kmttg, been playing with it daily, very cool.
Sixto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #206
aaronwt
HD Addict

Hmm,, my two Slide Pro orders are taking different routes to get to me. One is in Little ROck today and the other is in Memphis. Their routes diverged after Mesquite, TX.

I'm still surprised TiVo didn't combine both orders into one box since they were going to the same address and I had the free shipping for all of the remotes.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:00 PM   #207
andyf

Got both mine today. They work well on Roamio and Premiere (with dongle). Didn't have to use the cable for the dongle, was able to plug it in directly in the back.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:36 PM   #208
nws alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Hmm,, my two Slide Pro orders are taking different routes to get to me. One is in Little ROck today and the other is in Memphis. Their routes diverged after Mesquite, TX.

I'm still surprised TiVo didn't combine both orders into one box since they were going to the same address and I had the free shipping for all of the remotes.
It's funny how some shipping routes make no sense to us but it's highly optimized from a cost standpoint. Most likely the logistics company has the process automated and picks the orders different than a human would. Doubt tivo is packing the orders.
nws alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:38 AM   #209
ScaryMike

Got mine yesterday and learned that the learning function instructions are incorrect.

Instructions here: http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/278

Specifically:
Quote:
To learn power for a second device, follow all of the instructions above, but for Step 2 press the number 1 before pressing TV Power.

To learn power for a third device, follow all of the instructions above, but for Step 2 press the number 2 before pressing TV Power.
The actual numbers you need to use are "0" and "1" not 1 and 2.

I reported this to Tivo using the "Please rate this article to help us improve your web support experience" option at the bottom of the page.

Last edited by ScaryMike : 11-19-2013 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Spelling
ScaryMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:00 PM   #210
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryMike View Post
Got mine yesterday and learned that the learning function instructors are incorrect.

Instructions here: http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/278

Specifically:

The actual numbers you need to use are "0" and "1" not 1 and 2.

I reported this to Tivo using the "Please rate this article to help us improve your web support experience" option at the bottom of the page.
Thanks for the info!! Hopefully my Slide Pros will show up tomorrow.