TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.83 average.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:17 AM   #151
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
This info from the TiVo website killed my desire for the slide remote:

"...the RF signal, the remote finder and all of your other personalized settings won’t get mixed up if you have more than one unit, because the TiVo Slide Pro remote is made to work with one unit and one unit only."

I currently control multiple base Roamios in my living room with a single Roamio remote. I've always had multiple TiVos controlled by a single TiVo remote ever since the series 1 days.

The fact that I would have to have a separate remote for each individual TiVo is a deal breaker. And I can't see why TiVo would think the customer would find that desirable.
How do you control multiple Roamios from a single remote? Do you constantly reprogram it with a different remote code? Back in the day they use to have a 1-2 switch for people with multiple TiVos, but once they started creating units with 4+ tuners the 1-2 switch went away.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:31 AM   #152
Thom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
How do you control multiple Roamios from a single remote? Do you constantly reprogram it with a different remote code? Back in the day they use to have a 1-2 switch for people with multiple TiVos, but once they started creating units with 4+ tuners the 1-2 switch went away.
I leave the Roamio remote in IR mode. I then simultaneously press the TiVo button and Pause button, then press the appropriate numeric button for the address of the TiVo I am watching (all my video sources connect to the TV via a remote-controlled HDMI switch).

Personally, I think TiVo should have made the RF remote function compatible with the 0 though 9 remote addressing scheme present since TiVos first arrived.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:54 AM   #153
telemark

I was curious what the new RF protocol was so read through the FCC docs.

The USB dongle is using this TI chip
http://www.ti.com/product/cc2531

And the Slide Pro and Roamio Remote use this TI chip:
http://www.ti.com/product/cc2533

So they're 2.4 like bluetooth was, but this new standard with the lovely name of 802.15.4. TI mentions some kind of USB HID support is some good news.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:59 AM   #154
tiassa
Me --Avatar

If anyone has one and can check it out on a Series 3 please let us Luddites know what happens.
tiassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:24 AM   #155
skid71

I sent "Santa" a link with specific instructions on why I wish for the Premiere/Mini remote with dongle. Hopefully Santa's email isn't down, and that I can use the dongle with current Roamio remote with a Mini, and use the Slide Pro with our Roamio.

Exciting stuff
skid71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:27 AM   #156
AZTECF

I'm using the remote with the 1-2 slide switch with my Roamio and Premiere, it works great. I know it does not have the ABCD buttoms but I don't use those very often.
AZTECF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:34 AM   #157
aaronwt
HD Addict

I see both of my orders, for the four slides with the Dongle, shipped today.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:59 AM   #158
TripFoeYa

I ended up acting too fast and ordered one without the dongle. I would like to use the remote with a Mini and now need the dongle. I haven't found out yet but I'm sure trying to return the item with shipping fees will not make it worth it.

So if someone has extra dongles please PM me. I will be willing to purchase two of them. Thanks.
TripFoeYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:08 AM   #159
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripFoeYa View Post
I ended up acting too fast and ordered one without the dongle. I would like to use the remote with a Mini and now need the dongle. I haven't found out yet but I'm sure trying to return the item with shipping fees will not make it worth it.

So if someone has extra dongles please PM me. I will be willing to purchase two of them. Thanks.
Since there is no extra cost for the dongle when specifying your target unit you may want to try calling TiVo and convincing them to include a dongle with your order before it ships. The $50 price tag was surprisingly close to what I was willing to pay so I caved and ended up ordering one (with dongle) and it's on its way. I plan to use the current Roamio Pro remote with my Premiere unit used by my wife.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:26 AM   #160
TiVoMargret
VP of Design, TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
It shows $49.99 for me. But still $50 is a pretty good price. I'll need to wait until Amazon or BestBuy get them in stock and then I'll pick some up.
We're very pleased that our new Slide Pro remote is now available. However, because it is so close to the holidays, we don't expect broader retail availability of the new remote until after the holiday season.
TiVo Inc. *
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TiVoMargret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:11 PM   #161
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
We're very pleased that our new Slide Pro remote is now available. However, because it is so close to the holidays, we don't expect broader retail availability of the new remote until after the holiday season.
Thanks!! I'm glad I went ahead and ordered more from TiVo.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:49 PM   #162
HarperVision

Quote:

Wouldn't you want it out in stores before the end of the holiday shopping season?
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:45 PM   #163
gigaguy

Don said - 'The old Slide was BT, the new one is not.'

oh, what's the advantage? should one be more reliable than the other?
gigaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:59 PM   #164
TiVoMargret
VP of Design, TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
Me, I'd seriously entertain buying a new Roamio specifically if it would support two of these remotes at the same time. Otherwise there's currently no compelling reason for me to ditch either of the TivoHD units nor the Premiere I've already got. Two remotes, and the marital harmony that'd bring, would have be buying right away...
You can pair more than one RF Remote to your Roamio.

Go to Settings > Remote > Remote Control Setup > Part 5: Remote Control Pairing
and follow the instructions.

The Slide Pro remote has the same RF setup as the Roamio remote:
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2719
TiVo Inc. *

Old 11-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #165
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigaguy View Post
Don said - 'The old Slide was BT, the new one is not.'

oh, what's the advantage? should one be more reliable than the other?
The new one uses a new RF spec specifically designed for remote controls. It's the same technology used in the new Roamio remote. I think the biggest advantage is that it's simpler then BT and does not require the same license fee.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #166
Sixto

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Any way to get just the dongle?

I want one for the Mini, to use with the Roamio remote!
Sixto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #167
Dan203
Super Moderator

Got a shipping notice for my Slide Pro this morning.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:06 PM   #168
TiVoMargret
VP of Design, TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeegan View Post
Then the only question is, is it REALLY only for Premieres and up, or can it also work with a Series 3 HDTiVo as well?
No, sorry, it only works on Premiere (Series4), Mini, and Roamio (Series5) running software 20.3.7.1a or later.
TiVo Inc. *

Old 11-15-2013, 03:22 PM   #169
Sixto

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
No, sorry, it only works on Premiere (Series4), Mini, and Roamio (Series5) running software 20.3.7.1a or later.
Before I order the Slide just to get the dongle, do you think that the dongle will ever be available separately?

Lovin the Roamio by the way. Awesome box.
Sixto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:36 PM   #170
tatergator1

Quote:
It just occured to me that since Tivo is now selling these for the Premiere's and many people will be getting them next week, the full roll-out of the Fall Update (20.3.7.1a) to all Premieres must be happening any day now. Otherwise, those with Premiere's not already upgraded via priority list will have a nice $50 paper weight until the full roll-out happens.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:02 PM   #171
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
It just occured to me that since Tivo is now selling these for the Premiere's and many people will be getting them next week, the full roll-out of the Fall Update (20.3.7.1a) to all Premieres must be happening any day now. Otherwise, those with Premiere's not already upgraded via priority list will have a nice $50 paper weight until the full roll-out happens.

Shhhhh... you are thinking too much...
Old 11-15-2013, 04:03 PM   #172
hooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
My tivo upgraded last night and I wasn't on the priority list. So the rollout may even be in process now.
hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:04 PM   #173
telemark

I thought the question was, can one remote control 2 boxes?

Or maybe the question should be, why isn't the manual online, so we'd have less questions.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:05 PM   #174
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
And I can't see why TiVo would think the customer would find that desirable.
Probably because the number of customers likely to use the feature is too small to be a concern. Still, I see where you're coming from and it'd be handy.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:09 PM   #175
swerver

Quote:
Two remotes, and the marital harmony that'd bring, would have be buying right away...
I'm trying to follow how having 2 identical remotes controlling the same box is useful... and I just keep imagining a couple, each with a remote in hand, battling for tv supremacy.

"House Hunters!"
"Football!"
"I said House Hunters!"
swerver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:15 PM   #176
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemark View Post
I thought the question was, can one remote control 2 boxes?

Or maybe the question should be, why isn't the manual online, so we'd have less questions.
I don't think it can. The current Roamio remote doesn't seem to use a remote code when paired in RF mode. I just ran a test and you can change the remote code on the RF remote and it will still continue to control the TiVo it's paired to. I guess you could flop the pairing back and forth, but I don't think that's quite as simple to do.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:15 PM   #177
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

Quote:
You can pair more than one RF Remote to your Roamio.

Go to Settings > Remote > Remote Control Setup > Part 5: Remote Control Pairing
and follow the instructions.

The Slide Pro remote has the same RF setup as the Roamio remote:
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2719
I didn't see anything there that stated the ability to have more than one remote paired to a single Tivo. I did see where you can pair one, but it doesn't say whether or not that drops any previous pairing. Is there something that says that, or has anyone actually done it? RF-paired more than one remote to a single Roamio?
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:17 PM   #178
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerver View Post
I'm trying to follow how having 2 identical remotes controlling the same box is useful... and I just keep imagining a couple, each with a remote in hand, battling for tv supremacy.

"House Hunters!"
"Football!"
"I said House Hunters!"
Me and my wife both have our own Harmony remotes. Have for many years. We manage just fine. In fact we fought more before over who got to control the remote.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:18 PM   #179
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
I didn't see anything there that stated the ability to have more than one remote paired to a single Tivo. I did see where you can pair one, but it doesn't say whether or not that drops any previous pairing. Is there something that says that, or has anyone actually done it? RF-paired more than one remote to a single Roamio?
I can try that when I get my Slide Pro.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:40 PM   #180
WRX09MD

I just called to order 2 of them and asked for free shipping. She spoke with manager which granted me free shipping. Its only 8.54 but who cares.
Slide x 2
Slide Pro x 2
Verizon Fios
WRX09MD is offline   Reply With Quote