TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.88 average.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:36 PM   #481
Joe01880
I love my TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric102 View Post
Oh I tried, as soon as he said it can't power on more than one device I asked for someone with more knowledge on the remotes. His answer was "there isn't anyone as we are all trained the same".
You politely call B/S on him and ask to speak to his supervisor, if he hesitates, demand it!!!

Roamio Pro- $99 yearly grandfathered MSD
Premiere- 2TB w/PLS
TiVo HD- 2TB w/ PLS For Sale $350
Series 2- Just sittin around
DVR40- yours if you want it
Connected via Ethernet
FiOS

Joe01880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:08 AM   #482
jackief

As for my own frustrations, I did not get any further, and have taken out the control of the preamp until I can get it working. Interesting, the power is the only function I could get working for both simultaneously.

I tried using slots default+0, default+1, 0+1, no luck in any as the second device always overwrote the first. The blinks from the slide showed the learning had succeeded.

I'll continue to watch this and try again sometime when I feel like my headache needs to reappear
jackief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:45 AM   #483
eric102

Grasping at straws I tried pulling the RF dongle from the TiVo, doing a global reset and then setting the remote to IR only, no change. Thought I'd throw this in so others could avoid these trouble shooting steps.
eric102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 04:23 PM   #484
Bigg

Wow, you guys are persistent. I gave up after about 2 minutes. I have a remote for my AVR and TV and my Premiere XL4 remote turns both on. I figure it's not really that important...
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:45 PM   #485
eric102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
Wow, you guys are persistent. I gave up after about 2 minutes. I have a remote for my AVR and TV and my Premiere XL4 remote turns both on. I figure it's not really that important...
Retired, nothing better to do

So far I don't need to power on 3 devices but it would be nice just in case.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:58 AM   #486
MrWizzu

is the new tivo slide ever coming to bestbuy? I have some rewards certificates i would use on a new slide remote!
MrWizzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 02:51 PM   #487
FitzAusTex

I've read through all 17 pages, and it seems that the Slide Pro that comes with the dongle works just fine on a Roamio, and doesn't need the dongle.

My questions are: if you insert the dongle into the usb port, does the Roamio use the rf dongle for the Slide Pro instead of the Roamio's built in rf? I'm hoping so, in an effort to increase my RF range by placing the dongle higher up the wall than my Roamio is currently positioned. I suspect it might be difficult to know this for sure, unless someone has tried it, and their rf reception has improved noticeably?

Also curious if it has been confirmed if the Slide Pro keyboard works within apps like YouTube and Netflix?

Thanks for any feedback.

Last edited by FitzAusTex : 06-15-2014 at 03:01 PM.
FitzAusTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 04:02 PM   #488
jwbelcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitzAusTex View Post

Also curious if it has been confirmed if the Slide Pro keyboard works within apps like YouTube and Netflix?

Thanks for any feedback.
I've been able to use it in Netflix / YouTube but not in Opera apps. Anyone having problems in Opera too? I've had to use the onscreen keyboard in the few apps I've tried out.
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 05:22 PM   #489
Tivo II Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbelcher View Post
I've been able to use it in Netflix / YouTube but not in Opera apps. Anyone having problems in Opera too? I've had to use the onscreen keyboard in the few apps I've tried out.
I bought my Roamio Pro in late January and the slide remote in February. I only bought the slide remote because of the high praise right here (not this string) of a fellow community member. A total waste of money.

It almost takes more movement to open the slide and begin pushing buttons than it does to just use the on screen keyboard. It rarely takes more than 2 or 3 letters to find what you want.

In 5 months, I doubt I have even opened the slide 5 times.
Tivo II Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:36 PM   #490
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
I've read through all 17 pages, and it seems that the Slide Pro that comes with the dongle works just fine on a Roamio, and doesn't need the dongle.

My questions are: if you insert the dongle into the usb port, does the Roamio use the rf dongle for the Slide Pro instead of the Roamio's built in rf? I'm hoping so, in an effort to increase my RF range by placing the dongle higher up the wall than my Roamio is currently positioned. I suspect it might be difficult to know this for sure, unless someone has tried it, and their rf reception has improved noticeably?

Thanks for any feedback.
I see no difference in distance between my Slide Pro using the internal RF with my Roamio pro and the Slide Pro using the dongle with my Roamio Basic. They both seem to work just as far from the consoles.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:27 PM   #491
swerver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivo II Jack View Post
I bought my Roamio Pro in late January and the slide remote in February. I only bought the slide remote because of the high praise right here (not this string) of a fellow community member. A total waste of money.

It almost takes more movement to open the slide and begin pushing buttons than it does to just use the on screen keyboard. It rarely takes more than 2 or 3 letters to find what you want.

In 5 months, I doubt I have even opened the slide 5 times.
It's more useful in YouTube. Of course, my YouTube doesn't work anymore anyway, and my slide stopped working too. Boo.
swerver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:39 PM   #492
poppagene
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I see no difference in distance between my Slide Pro using the internal RF with my Roamio pro and the Slide Pro using the dongle with my Roamio Basic. They both seem to work just as far from the consoles.
Why do you use the dongle with the Roamio basic?
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:45 PM   #493
FitzAusTex

Just got my Slide Pro this afternoon. So far REALLY like it. Nicely smaller than the standard Roamio remote, so I can reach the Tivo and Live TV buttons w/o having to reposition my hand. Been too busy watching world cup to mess with the keyboard, except did confirm for myself that keyboard works within Netflix and YouTube apps. Keyboard is outstanding in YouTube since that app literally has one long row for on screen keyboard which is beyond a major PITA to navigate. Also really liking the backlit keys. I can find many from touch, but w/o backlight, the number buttons are really difficult on the Roamio remote since they didn't make the #5 discernable by touch (raised dot or concave like the clear and record keys). Anyway so far so good, just hope I don't drop it, don't think it would survive it on my stained concrete floors.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:19 PM   #494
FitzAusTex

Ok, After a few hours with the Slide Pro I'm a bit disappointed with a couple of things. My #1 - 9 buttons are pretty dim. The clear, 0, and enter are at least twice as bright, as is the complete rest of the remote, including the keyboard (also assume that the A, B, C, D and thumbs up/down don't light up?)

But my main concern is that the light sensor is apparently SO sensitive that unless I am sitting in a pitch dark room, the remote doesn't light up. Even brighter scenes from my TV will prevent it from lighting.

Are you other Slide Pro owners seeing similar results? Thanks.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:55 AM   #495
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppagene View Post
I use it with my Minis and got that mixed up. Sorry about that.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:47 AM   #496
eric102

Quote:
Ok, After a few hours with the Slide Pro I'm a bit disappointed with a couple of things. My #1 - 9 buttons are pretty dim. The clear, 0, and enter are at least twice as bright, as is the complete rest of the remote, including the keyboard (also assume that the A, B, C, D and thumbs up/down don't light up?)

But my main concern is that the light sensor is apparently SO sensitive that unless I am sitting in a pitch dark room, the remote doesn't light up. Even brighter scenes from my TV will prevent it from lighting.

Are you other Slide Pro owners seeing similar results? Thanks.
1- my 1-9 buttons appear to be the same brightness as the others, at least in a dark room.

2- ABCD and thumbs don't light up.

3- put fingers over light sensor to fool it into lighting up.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:55 AM   #497
FitzAusTex

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppagene View Post
according to tivo rep, if you insert the dongle the Roamio will have access to both the internal rf receiver and the dongle simultaneously. The dongle allows for potentially better placement particularly with a long usb cable which might provide better reception. Haven't been able to definitively confirm that yet with my setup, but hope to.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:01 AM   #498
FitzAusTex

Quote:
1- my 1-9 buttons appear to be the same brightness as the others, at least in a dark room.

2- ABCD and thumbs don't light up.

3- put fingers over light sensor to fool it into lighting up.
did some research trying to find out for sure where the sensor is exactly, but haven't found documentation. It appears to be behind/near the TV Power/Tivo/Live TV buttons, but hard to be exact.

Does yours only light up in utter darkness? Mine doesn't light up with it dark enough for me to not be able to even see the keys. Kinda defeats the purpose.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:29 AM   #499
eric102

Quote:
did some research trying to find out for sure where the sensor is exactly, but haven't found documentation. It appears to be behind/near the TV Power/Tivo/Live TV buttons, but hard to be exact.

Does yours only light up in utter darkness? Mine doesn't light up with it dark enough for me to not be able to even see the keys. Kinda defeats the purpose.
As you noted the light sensor is near the TiVo button but I haven't tried to locate it exactly since I rarely need the lights.

It does take a very dark room for mine to light up but not pitch black.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:26 PM   #500
Tivo II Jack

Quote:
As you noted the light sensor is near the TiVo button but I haven't tried to locate it exactly since I rarely need the lights.

It does take a very dark room for mine to light up but not pitch black.
Thanks guys for causing me to waste 20 minutes trying to locate this sensor. How do you advise someone to put their finger over the sensor when you don't even know where it is, and to me is impossible to locate.

I keep the lights turned off, so I turned them back on only to be reminded why I never use them. This slide pro remote is the worst money I ever threw down the toilet.

It has one single MINOR advantage, typing a wishlist. Other than that, it usually only takes 3 or less clicks on the on-screen keyboard to find any show. Just opening the slide takes more effort than that.

And now, about 45 minutes later...being the perfectionist that I am, I had to take this a step further. With a Google search I entered a chat session with a reseller and chose to chat with a "Product Professional". After 10 minutes or so, he was unable to tell me where the sensor is so I decided to go to the source and called Tivo.

We were on the phone over 20 minutes and he could not tell me where the sensor is. He suggested a sensor on the rear of the remote just above the battery compartment. It is a small circle of eight holes with a ninth in the center. I covered that with black electrical tape and the lights did not come on.

He then suggested that the sensor might be INSIDE the remote. I shot that one down quickly. A sound sensor may work from inside the remote, but a light sensor would be in permanent darkness.

He suggested the small light at the front of the remote. the one that lights any time you press a button. I covered that and still no lights as was the result with his final suggestion, the Tivo button itself.

I think we can all agree there has to be a sensor because the backlight only operates in a pretty dark room, but its location is hidden even better than the IRS emails.

My backlights are now turned permanently off and I stand by my opinion that the slide is a totally useless device unless you use a veritable TON of wishlists.
Tivo II Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:04 PM   #501
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
My questions are: if you insert the dongle into the usb port, does the Roamio use the rf dongle for the Slide Pro instead of the Roamio's built in rf?
I don't think so

Quote:
I'm hoping so, in an effort to increase my RF range by placing the dongle higher up the wall than my Roamio is currently positioned.
I can't imagine why you would need to do that. The range without the dongle is already VERY reasonable... there is no room big enough it wouldn't work... unless you are trying to go through walls to other rooms for some reason.... and in that case, the dongle is not going to be any stronger if it is located in the same room as the TiVo.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:19 PM   #502
jwbelcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivo II Jack View Post
Thanks guys for causing me to waste 20 minutes trying to locate this sensor. How do you advise someone to put their finger over the sensor when you don't even know where it is, and to me is impossible to locate.
To me it seems the sensor is inside the clear blue TiVo button.
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:20 PM   #503
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbelcher View Post
To me it seems the sensor is inside the clear blue TiVo button.
That is exactly where it is. And those holes he was talking about- that is the speaker for the "find the remote" beeping.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:05 AM   #504
Diana Collins

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
That is exactly where it is. And those holes he was talking about- that is the speaker for the "find the remote" beeping.
That's right, and in a semi-darkened room, resting my finger over the activity LED reduces the light getting into the TiVo button enough to activate the backlight. The keyboard is most useful for Netflix and Hulu searches IMHO.

Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006
Diana Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:12 AM   #505
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
I don't think so

I can't imagine why you would need to do that. The range without the dongle is already VERY reasonable... there is no room big enough it wouldn't work... unless you are trying to go through walls to other rooms for some reason.... and in that case, the dongle is not going to be any stronger if it is located in the same room as the TiVo.
Even going through walls it works great. I can go through a brick firewall and multiple layers of drywall.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:07 AM   #506
FitzAusTex

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Even going through walls it works great. I can go through a brick firewall and multiple layers of drywall.
So after a few days, my Slide Pro has much better range than my Roamio remotes (2 of them - same range). I have trouble through a single wall with the Roamio remotes...works about 75% of the time, but fails to work unless I point them in very specific directions. The Slide from my bedroom is better, but still not perfect.(and for those curious, I have my roamio hooked up to an hdmi splitter and fed to both my den tv directly, and to a sony wireless transmitter to my master bedroom)
Old 06-23-2014, 09:24 AM   #507
swerver

I always just clicked the down arrow key to get the remote to light up, since when you are watching a show that key does nothing, other than light up the remote.
swerver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:35 AM   #508
FitzAusTex

Appreciate all the recent replies on range and backlight. Truly really helpful.

I've come to a couple conclusions the last few days.

1. For me, backlight (particularly the number keys) is really important. The Slide Pro doesn't really cut it unless in a pitch dark room. In pitch dark, it is really helpful, so I can make use of it in my bedroom (since the backlight won't activate unless really dark).

2. The RF extender I ordered with the Pro actually does work. It didn't seem to pair properly, but I happened upon the solution by accident. Once I paired the Pro, and/or the Roamio remote by confirming the "find my remote" jingle feature worked, I found the remotes didn't actually control the Roamio until after rebooting the Roamio. What I've found is that if paired correctly, the extender flashes green with each remote button press. If the extender is not flashing green with each button press, the remote is not actually using extender, but rather the internal RF.

3. The RF extender has significantly better reception than my Roamio. It actually works the way I'd hope RF would work (I have RF Harmonys, so I'm pretty familiar with RF) .

4. Given that the extender works better than the internal RF, I've come to the conclusion that the internal RF is defective/deficient in my Roamio. W/o the extender, I often get missed button presses laying on the couch 10 feet away. With the extender I was hard pressed to get missed button press 3 rooms away.

Just outlining my observations, in the event it might be useful to others.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:24 PM   #509
aaronwt
HD Addict

There is definitely something wrong then. You should be able to get a signal just as far from the internal RF as from the dongle.