TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.83 average.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:16 AM   #421
MARKPIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
It does AVR power. Have you looked at http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/.../278/kw/remote
Copied and pasted:
" from TiVo Central select Settings & Messages (or Messages & Settings) > Settings > Remote, CableCARD, & Devices > Remote Control Setup.)
Highlight Part 2:A/V volume, and mute and press SELECT. Use the UP ARROW and DOWN ARROW buttons and the CHAN DOWN and CHAN UP buttons on the TiVo remote to highlight your A/V receiver brand and then press SELECT. The A/V Remote Codes screen appears.
Follow the instructions on the A/V Remote Codes screen to enter a code into your remote control. If the first code does not work, repeat the instructions to enter the second code, and so forth, until you find a code that works."

I believe the instructions tell you to hold TIVO button and mute button down simultaneously.
As was stated on here, by using the TIVO button with the power button instead of the mute button, it allowed my Slide Pro to power off/on both the tv and sound bar. I also read on here where once set up, hold the remote's power button in a little longer as it needs time to read all stored codes.
Anyways, this worked for me.
MARKPIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:21 PM   #422
jackief

I'm having problems programming my preamp. I have the slide set to do the tv mute, then when I put the preamp mute in slot 0 the tv mute no longer functions. Any tips? And if I go back to the non learning setup of power/mute/etc it will clear all learning for those functions?

I got both power functions working a while ago but am having no luck with mute.
jackief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:43 PM   #423
alarson83

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydust View Post
Wish you could program the A-B-C-D buttons to go directly to the recorded list or Netflix.
That would be a great feature.
alarson83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:26 PM   #424
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
It does AVR power. Have you looked at http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/.../278/kw/remote
The Premiere's remote just worked for power after I put the AVR code in for volume and mute, the Slide Pro does not. I tried all of the Onkyo codes, and about half of them work for my AVR, but none have the Slide Pro doing power.

Those learning instructions look like fun. NOT.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:42 PM   #425
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackief View Post
I'm having problems programming my preamp. I have the slide set to do the tv mute, then when I put the preamp mute in slot 0 the tv mute no longer functions. Any tips? And if I go back to the non learning setup of power/mute/etc it will clear all learning for those functions?

I got both power functions working a while ago but am having no luck with mute.
I was playing with mine and I couldn't get it to learn a command without it wiping out any standard commands I had entered. So I ended up just having to learn all the commands even if one device was supported by a standard command set.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 03:38 PM   #426
Joe01880
I love my TiVo

I just got the Pro Slide remote yesterday, I had no problem at all getting it to learn my TV ON/OFF and my Pioneer Elite Volume Up/Down as well as my TV Input button.
Just follow the online instructions, very very easy.
If you need the Pro Remote to do more than those basic functions you need a different remote. I use a Harmony One which can be programed to do every function of the TiVo remote and every function of every component you might have in your system and work everything that needs to be at the same time, in Harmony! .. but; If you have problems programing the very easy Pro Slide remote the macros of the Harmony One or other such remotes may be to much for you.

Roamio Pro- $99 yearly grandfathered MSD
Premiere- 2TB w/PLS
TiVo HD- 2TB w/ PLS For Sale $350
Series 2- Just sittin around
DVR40- yours if you want it
Connected via Ethernet
FiOS

Joe01880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:42 PM   #427
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe01880 View Post
I just got the Pro Slide remote yesterday, I had no problem at all getting it to learn my TV ON/OFF and my Pioneer Elite Volume Up/Down as well as my TV Input button.
Just follow the online instructions, very very easy.
If you need the Pro Remote to do more than those basic functions you need a different remote. I use a Harmony One which can be programed to do every function of the TiVo remote and every function of every component you might have in your system and work everything that needs to be at the same time, in Harmony! .. but; If you have problems programing the very easy Pro Slide remote the macros of the Harmony One or other such remotes may be to much for you.
The Premiere remote didn't need to learn anything, I just used the menu to enter the code for the Onkyo, and it worked. The Slide Pro didn't.

I don't believe in universal remotes, as they will never work as well as the OEM remotes. I just have the OEM remotes all lined up. If you include the mouse/keyboard for the HTPC, I probably have a dozen in total, half a dozen that I use on a regular basis.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:20 PM   #428
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
...... I don't believe in universal remotes, as they will never work as well as the OEM remotes. .......
You've never used a Ceton Echo remote, have you!
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:10 PM   #429
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
You've never used a Ceton Echo remote, have you!
No, I haven't. Are they terrible? All the OEM remotes I have are either good, like TiVo, useable but square (most of them) or cheap and tolerable (like the Blu-Ray one). Why do all Blu-Ray players have the cheapest, most plasticky remotes?
Old 02-26-2014, 06:24 PM   #430
Joe01880
I love my TiVo

Quote:
The Premiere remote didn't need to learn anything, I just used the menu to enter the code for the Onkyo, and it worked. The Slide Pro didn't.

I don't believe in universal remotes, as they will never work as well as the OEM remotes. I just have the OEM remotes all lined up. If you include the mouse/keyboard for the HTPC, I probably have a dozen in total, half a dozen that I use on a regular basis.
You have never used a Harmony One Remote either or you would not make such foolish statements.

choose the activity you want, TiVo

Sony NX Turns ON
Pioneer Elite Turns ON
Elite switches to Sat/Cbl
Tv switches to HDMI 1

Every TiVo remote function is at my finger tip, every TV function is at my finger tip, Every Pioneer Elite function is at my finger tip and working perfectly and I have not ever sat up in my leather recliner much less reclined it to a sitting up position and that's only ONE activity.

My Logitech Harmony One also is set for;
My FiOS DVR
MY Blu Ray Player
My Play Station (although) it only switches inputs on the TV and receiver)
My A3 HDDVD Player (yes I still use it, to date it has the best upscaler I have ever seen)
It even turns on my ceiling fan and light.

You can set macros to do any number of things you need done quickly (only one button push) and add many more activities if you need them or so desire, using one remote that takes about 15 minutes to set up on your computer. Even my wife loves it.

oh yeah, I almost forgot, it also switches inputs for my computer that runs into HDMI3 on my TV for the keyboard I keep nearby! Volume is still controlled through my receiver via ARC.

...also to HDMI 2 for Chromecast ($25), why, just because I had to have one..it sucks BTW, my S4 does just as good a job to my Sony via my wireless network as to Chromecast in my Sony wasting an HDMI port.

still haven't set up in my recliner!!!!!

To each their own

Premiere- 2TB w/PLS
Connected via Ethernet
FiOS

Last edited by Joe01880 : 02-26-2014 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:29 PM   #431
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
The on/off command for my Onkyo worked fine for my Slide Pro. The only thing I ended up having to learn was the input button. For now I just learned the input button for the specific input my TiVo is on, but I'd like to try and find a "next input" type command so I can actually cycle through them.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:46 PM   #432
Joe01880
I love my TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
The on/off command for my Onkyo worked fine for my Slide Pro. The only thing I ended up having to learn was the input button. For now I just learned the input button for the specific input my TiVo is on, but I'd like to try and find a "next input" type command so I can actually cycle through them.
I did not even have to do anything for the Input button for my Sony NX810, when I set the on/off the input set with it, pressing input more than once cycles through the input options of TV using the Pro Slide remote.

Premiere- 2TB w/PLS
Connected via Ethernet
FiOS

Old 02-26-2014, 06:47 PM   #433
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
No, I haven't. Are they terrible? All the OEM remotes I have are either good, like TiVo, useable but square (most of them) or cheap and tolerable (like the Blu-Ray one). Why do all Blu-Ray players have the cheapest, most plasticky remotes?
I suspect because they have become commodity items. There is not a lot of profit in them.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:05 PM   #434
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
I did not even have to do anything for the Input button for my Sony NX810, when I set the on/off the input set with it, pressing input more than once cycles through the input options of TV using the Pro Slide remote.
Yeah it worked on my TV with the standard code, but I don't use my TV for switching I use my Onkyo receiver. The original remote does not have a single "input" button. It has discrete buttons for each of the 7 selections.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:16 PM   #435
Bigg

Quote:
You have never used a Harmony One Remote either or you would not make such foolish statements.
So? I have ten remotes that combined, do the same thing, and unlike the Harmony, they require little to no programming, and they can access all functions of the devices. And what tips the scale towards individual remotes is that the TiVo Peanut is absolutely second to none, and that's probably 90% of the remote use, so why replace it with something inferior?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Hmmm, interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
I suspect because they have become commodity items. There is not a lot of profit in them.
Yeah, but my Sharp TV and Onkyo AVR ones are big and boxy, but rather solid. Samsung's ones for Blu-Ray and TV are horrible. And the remote for a Sony BD player is horrible too, even though their TV remotes are OK.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:44 AM   #436
Joe01880
I love my TiVo

Quote:
So? I have ten remotes that combined, do the same thing, and unlike the Harmony, they require little to no programming, and they can access all functions of the devices. And what tips the scale towards individual remotes is that the TiVo Peanut is absolutely second to none, and that's probably 90% of the remote use, so why replace it with something inferior?

You are making uneducated statements with regards to modern Universal multifunction remote controllers. Or perhaps you are attempting to be argumentative.
The Harmony One is not inferior to the TiVo Peanut. It is by far superior. It does every function of the TiVo Peanut with each button just as easily accessible, plus it runs all your other components at the same time with the same ease of use. But given your comments it may be to much for you to handle, I'm glad you enjoy your current many many remote configuration.

That said; My Harmony One and Pro Slide sit side by side and get along swell. (sorry Henry )

Premiere- 2TB w/PLS
Connected via Ethernet
FiOS

Last edited by Joe01880 : 02-27-2014 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:03 PM   #437
Bigg

Quote:
You are making uneducated statements with regards to modern Universal multifunction remote controllers. Or perhaps you are attempting to be argumentative.
The Harmony One is not inferior to the TiVo Peanut. It is by far superior. It does every function of the TiVo Peanut with each button just as easily accessible, plus it runs all your other components at the same time with the same ease of use. But given your comments it may be to much for you to handle, I'm glad you enjoy your current many many remote configuration.

That said; My Harmony One and Pro Slide sit side by side and get along swell. (sorry Henry )
Nothing is as good as the Peanut. The Comcast remote was a pretty good effort as a Peanut semi-rip-off, but nowhere close. A lot of remotes for specific devices like my Onkyo AVR or DVDO EDGE have very specific button layouts that would not be able to be replicated with hardware buttons only on something like a Harmony One.

It's not rocket science to use 3 or 4 remotes. I made a schematic in Excel so that my roommates can figure out how to use it (and myself if it's not TiVo, Roku or the HTPC LOL), and they have no problem reading the schematic and selecting whatever device they want to use. They love the fact that I have so many toys. The schematic also helped me to wire it better as well, as I built the system based on the schematic made beforehand.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:04 PM   #438
Joe01880
I love my TiVo

I do miss my old Harmony 650, Peanut shaped I think the exact same size as the TiVo remote yet does what Harmony's do. Hard to find and pricey when you do usually. Wouldn't take a used one and they do not work near as well as the Harmony One. The TiVo Pro Slide does have its merits, I bought one, I must love it!

Premiere- 2TB w/PLS
Connected via Ethernet
FiOS

Old 02-28-2014, 12:31 AM   #439
Dan203
Super Moderator

I still use a Harmony 680 for everything except TiVo. I just like the Slide Pro better when using TiVo. Although I used the 680 for like 8 years as my one and only remote.

My only complaint is the Harmony is a PITA to program.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:43 AM   #440
HarperVision

Quote:
I do miss my old Harmony 650, Peanut shaped I think the exact same size as the TiVo remote yet does what Harmony's do. Hard to find and pricey when you do usually. Wouldn't take a used one and they do not work near as well as the Harmony One. The TiVo Pro Slide does have its merits, I bought one, I must love it!
I think I have an old 650 I'd be willing to sell.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:46 AM   #441
HarperVision

Quote:
No, I haven't. Are they terrible?.......
if you weren't straight onto it within 10 ft with ultra fresh batteries........yes!
Old 02-28-2014, 07:19 AM   #442
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Or perhaps you are attempting to be argumentative.
Ding, ding, ding.....we have a winner!

I purchased a Harmony 880 soon after I got my second Tivo. If I am using another remote, it is only because the 880 is charging.
There is no way anyone could convince me to use more than one remote today.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 02-28-2014 at 07:29 AM.
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:52 AM   #443
DigitalDawn

I have a Roamio Pro and purchased the Slide remote.

Paired the remote and everything works fine, except the remote finder. I push the button on the front of the Pro and only the original RF TiVo remote beeps, not the slide.

Is this normal behavior?
DigitalDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:36 PM   #444
d_vail

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDawn View Post
I have a Roamio Pro and purchased the Slide remote. Paired the remote and everything works fine, except the remote finder. I push the button on the front of the Pro and only the original RF TiVo remote beeps, not the slide. Is this normal behavior?
No, just got my two slide remotes with adapters for my two minis yesterday. Did you "unpair" your original roamio remote before pairing the slide pro? That may be why the remote finder is still sounding on the old remote.

First I unpaired the remote that came with the roamio, then paired the slide pro. Then I connected the two adapters to both minis and paired the original rf remote that came with the roamio to one mini, and the 2nd slide pro to the other mini. Everything is working great. I did have to power cycle one mini before the slide pro would work after pairing though...
d_vail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:18 PM   #445
morac
Cat God

I never unpaired my original Roamio remote. When I press the button on my Roamio Pro, both the original and Slide Pro remotes play music.

I've found that if remote finder stops working, sometimes restarting the Roamio fixes that.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:44 PM   #446
Dan203
Super Moderator

I took the batteries out of the original remote, but I never unpaired it and when I press the finder on my Roamio the Slide Pro sings. So I assume both would sing if the original had batteries in it.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:15 PM   #447
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
if you weren't straight onto it within 10 ft with ultra fresh batteries........yes!
Wow, that sucks.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:02 PM   #448
NYHeel

Quote:

I've mostly stopped using my Harmony One that I used for about 4 years in favor of the Roamio remote. Once I realized that the Tivo remote could power on my AVR as well as the TV I now only take out the harmony when i need to use something else.

Now my Harmony is pretty beat up. My kids used to use it a lot and a lot of the buttons are stuck and are difficult to press. But even if it weren't I'd still prefer the peanut. My Tivo is behind a glass door and though the IR works there, the RF remote is just much faster and more responsive. Also I don't need to use the LCD screen for the colored buttons either. I also like the button placement much better and it fits in the hand much better as well. Also, I don't have to worry about my kids breaking a $180 remote. The only thing I miss with the Harmony is the one button My shows command that I had from my old DirecTivo remote.

As a side note, Harmony remotes are really poorly made. My 880 died after about 2 years and my One had been pretty messed up after about 2 years. Plus my original One got replaced in warranty since the screen got all messed up somehow. I've never had any other remote break on me.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:59 AM   #449
mpnret

Our Harmony One and 670 are both in great shape and were the remote of choice for previous ReplayTV's and TiVo's. However since receiving the new remote with the Roamio the Harmony remotes pretty much just sit in the video cabinet. It is missing a backlight but otherwise a great remote.
mpnret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:10 AM   #450
sangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpnret View Post
Our Harmony One and 670 are both in great shape and were the remote of choice for previous ReplayTV's and TiVo's. However since receiving the new remote with the Roamio the Harmony remotes pretty much just sit in the video cabinet. It is missing a backlight but otherwise a great remote.
Ditto. We've had a Harmony 700 since 2010 - and previous to that, a 659 - but since getting the Roamio, it just collects dust. Not only does the Roamio remote control our AVR, but with Netflix, Hulu, etc. built right in, the only time I need to use the Harmony is if I'm using Apple TV or the Xbox, both of which have seen dramatic decreases in use.
sangs is offline   Reply With Quote