TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-04-2014, 05:20 PM   #1
jferg2002

Will Roamio OTA do Component Video?

I called tech support and they said it will thru the composite output with the component breakout cable they sell for the Mini. Bought the cable and it was a no go. Did research on web and found 2 reviews of Roamios and both said they would not do Component Video. Called tech support back and they said it would again and sent me another set of the cables to try. Got them today and still no luck. Bottom line is has anyone got the Roamio to work wit Component Video thru the AV output?
jferg2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 05:55 PM   #2
Bigg

It does not have component video. There is no way any magic cable could give you component, unless it actively converts HDMI to component. What tech support told you is BS.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 06:08 PM   #3
jferg2002

I called them before I even bought it to make sure it did and 2 times after I got it and the last guy checked with other guys in the support team and they said they have done it with the Roamios. Not the Mini.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:22 PM   #4
bryan4980

What do you mean it was a no go? I have a Roamio basic (the one that will do ota or cable) are you saying you have the Roamio that will only do OTA and you plugged the breakout cable into the 1/8" jack (headphone sized jack) and it does not work? I have a set of breakout cables for mine that I have not yet tried as the basic only has HDMI on the back.

Last edited by bryan4980 : 12-04-2014 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Typo
bryan4980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 06:34 PM   #5
jferg2002

I have the Roamio OTA that has the 3.5 mm AV jack on the back. It works fine with the Composite breakout adapter but the Component video adapter will not work in the AV jack as Tech Support said it would.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:27 PM   #6
telemark

There was a component video 1/8" jack on the base Roamio's that didn't make it into the release / production versions.

I'm not sure if the folks in tech support has access to those boxes which is confusing themselves.
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 08:12 PM   #7
fred2

Attached is a picture. I guess it is labeled COMPOSITE (not component). Sorry, the limited file size means the resolution suffers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RoamioBasic2.jpg (19.3 KB, 47 views)
fred2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 10:44 PM   #8
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jferg2002 View Post
I have the Roamio OTA that has the 3.5 mm AV jack on the back. It works fine with the Composite breakout adapter but the Component video adapter will not work in the AV jack as Tech Support said it would.
Right. There is no component jack. The Mini has a component jack to plug that cable into.

On a side note, the component and composite cables are probably electrically the same, just with different colors. So if you plug a component breakout cable into the composite out port, you effectively have composite out if you can figure out which colors correspond to yellow, white, and red.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:42 PM   #9
bryan4980

Quote:
Sorry confused component and composite.
bryan4980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 02:44 AM   #10
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
.........On a side note, the component and composite cables are probably electrically the same, just with different colors. So if you plug a component breakout cable into the composite out port, you effectively have composite out if you can figure out which colors correspond to yellow, white, and red.
Yes, this is correct. The metal electrical part of the hardware connection jack is identical to the composite connection. It's the signal that's attached to it from the motherboard that is different, whether composite with stereo audio or "analog" (Dan, Bigg ) component video.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 03:36 AM   #11
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Has anyone tried soldering a connector to the spot where the component output was supposed to be, as seen in the attached picture?

It looks like there might be more than just the connector missing on that part of the board. Does it really take all those components to make RGB? I would think that comes right out of the chipset...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg roamio-component.jpg (43.4 KB, 122 views)
Slingbox M1

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.

Last edited by Arcady : 12-05-2014 at 03:43 AM.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 04:18 AM   #12
collin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
Has anyone tried soldering a connector to the spot where the component output was supposed to be, as seen in the attached picture?
I would love to know the answer to this as well! Really wish I could connect a slingbox to my Roamio basic via component.
collin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 09:52 AM   #13
telemark

So the traces between the missing connector and chip are missing a few components.

Capacitors, Resistors and maybe inductors. The values need to be deduced.

A photo from a Tivo Mini board, around the component port would probably be helpful.

Or a Tivo Plus/Pro photo. Or a Tivo Mini that's been scrapped.
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 05:03 PM   #14
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Yes, this is correct. The metal electrical part of the hardware connection jack is identical to the composite connection. It's the signal that's attached to it from the motherboard that is different, whether composite with stereo audio or "analog" (Dan, Bigg ) component video.
Oh god, let's keep the hair-splitting fest in the other thread.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:53 PM   #15
jferg2002

You are right the Component and composite plugs are the same just different color rca ends. You could use the component as a composite cable. Guess Tech support needs to do some research. I bought this on there suggestion because I have a 8x8 component video switcher distributing in my home and liked the 4 tuners for OTA.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:04 PM   #16
shwru980r

Quote:
You are right the Component and composite plugs are the same just different color rca ends. You could use the component as a composite cable. Guess Tech support needs to do some research. I bought this on there suggestion because I have a 8x8 component video switcher distributing in my home and liked the 4 tuners for OTA.
This might work.

http://www.amazon.com/E-More%C2%AE-C.../dp/B00J22LGYG

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:09 AM   #17
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwru980r View Post
A) If your TV is so old it doesn't have HDMI, you need a new TV to be able to get decent HD anyway.

B) What is that thing going to do with HDCP? Scale back to a 480p-ish output?
Old 12-06-2014, 11:11 AM   #18
telemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post

B) What is that thing going to do with HDCP? Scale back to a 480p-ish output?
Those are imports from China that are not licensed+certified by the HDMI/HDCP powers that be. A number of them don't bother to follow the rules you're thinking of.

Several years ago, the master key was leaked, and after that point any manufacturer could make up their own key, technology-wise, and still inter-operate with licensed HDMI/HDCP devices. This left legal threats as the only means to limit the distribution of those products.

HDfury is the only one still widely marketed and they get a lot of legal heat for it.

Any product that gets too popular will eventually get taken off Amazon / eBay. They just pop up again like wack-a-mole / mushrooms.
Old 12-07-2014, 04:01 PM   #19
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemark View Post
Those are imports from China that are not licensed+certified by the HDMI/HDCP powers that be. A number of them don't bother to follow the rules you're thinking of.

Several years ago, the master key was leaked, and after that point any manufacturer could make up their own key, technology-wise, and still inter-operate with licensed HDMI/HDCP devices. This left legal threats as the only means to limit the distribution of those products.

HDfury is the only one still widely marketed and they get a lot of legal heat for it.

Any product that gets too popular will eventually get taken off Amazon / eBay. They just pop up again like wack-a-mole / mushrooms.
Nice, I didn't know that. That's good that the key got leaked, HDCP was a completely idiotic concept from the get-go. It should never have been invented!