TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-22-2014, 02:14 PM   #1
partswiz

Defective Cablecards

I just wanted to relate my experience here and am asking others to chime in as well. Purchased a new Pro, and wanted to set up the cablecards myself. No problem, except that I went through 3 cards before I got a good one from TWC. The guys at TWC's cablecard hotline are fantastic and were a great help, knowledgeable and very professional. Im just wondering how many others out there have similar issues before finally getting a good card.
partswiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:33 PM   #2
tarheelblue32

This is a fairly common experience. I don't think the cable companies ever test the CableCards to see if they are still working properly. When someone brings back a non-functional CableCard, they just seem to throw it back into the CableCard pile and hand them back out to the next person coming in to pick up a CableCard. The cable companies are happy to keep non-functional CableCards around to make getting your own CableCard device up and running as painful for you as possible. But I will give props to TWC's dedicated CableCard hotline. I have had good experiences with them as well.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:15 AM   #3
tds4182

It took 4 cards from Suddenlink before I got one that supported all 6 tuners.
tds4182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:53 PM   #4
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

My experience with Comcast and Motorola cards is that its usually the cablecard "experts" failure to pair the card correctly as opposed to the cards being bad.
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:12 PM   #5
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgnad View Post
My experience with Comcast and Motorola cards is that its usually the cablecard "experts" failure to pair the card correctly as opposed to the cards being bad.
Ditto x 1,000! Same with TWC. I have never had to return a card for being defective, and I have had them since the very beginning of their existence. I was told many times by both time warner and comcast that it was the card or I needed a truck roll and denied it each time, standing my ground saying I knew it was a pairing and/or provisioning issue on their end and every single one was eventually paired and working properly.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:59 AM   #6
gmcc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
This is a fairly common experience. I don't think the cable companies ever test the CableCards to see if they are still working properly.
During my still somewhat recent fiasco with CCast getting a card working in my Roamio ( http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...highlight=gmcc ) I was told by the tech that they specifically do not test returned cards here because of the time and effort that would be required for them to do it. I think it's just much easier for them to let customers test the cards and I do wonder if some of the bad ones I had are still being handed out at the local office.
gmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:08 PM   #7
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcc View Post
During my still somewhat recent fiasco with CCast getting a card working in my Roamio ( http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...highlight=gmcc ) I was told by the tech that they specifically do not test returned cards here because of the time and effort that would be required for them to do it. I think it's just much easier for them to let customers test the cards and I do wonder if some of the bad ones I had are still being handed out at the local office.
It really wouldn't be any more difficult for them to test returned CableCards than it is for them to test returned cable boxes. The real reason they don't test them is that they actually want there to be lots of defective CableCards in circulation, to make it as difficult as possible for people to use them. I bet after the 3rd of 4th trip down to your local cable office to wait in line for an hour to get another CableCard, most people will probably just give up, especially when the cable company keeps telling you it is all TiVo's fault it won't work.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 03:14 PM   #8
CharlesH

Quote:
I bet after the 3rd of 4th trip down to your local cable office to wait in line for an hour to get another CableCard, most people will probably just give up, especially when the cable company keeps telling you it is all TiVo's fault it won't work.
Fortunately for me, my Comcast service center is five minutes from my home, and they rarely have more than one person waiting in line. My latest experience was them giving me an old single-tuner cablecard rather than an M-Card. The Roamio was very clear that a single-tuner card was not acceptable.
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:37 AM   #9
HoustonMidtown

Quote:
I bet after the 3rd of 4th trip down to your local cable office to wait in line for an hour to get another CableCard, most people will probably just give up, especially when the cable company keeps telling you it is all TiVo's fault it won't work.
And even worse....you call the Comcast office to ask if they have any cable cards in stock (because you have gone through this so many times) and they say yes, you go down to the office, usually wait in line and then they don't have any.....argh
HoustonMidtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:06 AM   #10
gmcc

Quote:
It really wouldn't be any more difficult for them to test returned CableCards than it is for them to test returned cable boxes.
I don't know that they test cable boxes either and would not be even slightly surprised to find out they don't. Same reason and same result.
gmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:15 AM   #11
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

As much as I hate sounding like I really like my cableco, or hate being accused of "sounding like I work for one":

My Cox market sends all returned cablecards back to the main hub, where they are reprogrammed with a generic profile, and recertified. It didn't always used to be that way. I'd get cablecards that looked like somebody took out their anger with them, with a ball-peen hammer to them.

Now they always look band-new, fit snugly, and tend to work. The dead giveaway that they have been reprocessed properly, is how much data that would survive box-to-box reuse, and a firmware update, is empty. They are always sent back out on an older firmware, and get flashed when installed.

There will still be some contractors that throw used ones, or ones that didn't work the last six installs, on the floor of their truck, and show up with them if I don't go pick them up at a local Cox store. It's against policy for the contractors (with magnetic Cox signs on their bass-booming black gangsta SUVs with spinner rims, or the family grocery-getter) to re-issue cards without them being processed. But, we all know how some contractors are. I always request a true Cox service truck, and say I'll turn away any contractors. That's exactly what I do, and it has worked well.

Since this is a Comcast thread, I can't say what the policy is, or if they have a policy that is being ignored. I just honestly feel that IMHO 80% of the problem with cablecards are the cabelecos. They don't want them to work. They want them to be "more trouble than they are worth", which is most certainly how some feel about TiVo, once they get to the cablecard part, and/or the tuning adapter part, IMHO.

Cox has their own ways of disgruntling their customers with CCs and TAs, and make no secret of how much they hate TiVo. But, that's for the Cox threads...

EDIT/ADD: The same things I said about what Cox does with cablecards, also applies to TAs, STBs, and DVRs. One of the things they do is get rid of the odor that gets into those inside the homes of smokers.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 06-26-2014 at 07:23 AM.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote