TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-08-2015, 09:14 AM   #1
AE1360

Arrow Folders loading painfully slow.

Hey guys, was hoping somebody had a solution for me here. I have a Roamio Pro DVR that ran great when I got it in December. Was night and day better than my Premiere.

In the past month or so though I've noticed that it loads everything quick EXCEPT for folders. You got a single show, it works fine. A folder with more than one show and it will think for a solid minute straight, though if you exit out and go back in (left arrow then right arrow, not completely exit) it loads sometimes first thing then. This seems to have all started when the update with OnePass came out. I also can't create a OnePass half of the time, and it takes forever as well. I don't even have it set to record stuff that is online, just broadcast.

Things I have done:
-Before the OnePass upgrade, I had recently also done a factory reset so it shouldn't need to be done again I would hope.

-I have also deleted all of my TiVo recommended recordings

Just looking for a solution. Heck, I'll break my warranty and replace the HDD with something better if that will fix it. I just want the damn thing to work!

AE1360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:56 AM   #2
JoeKustra
Cable only

Hope I don't get slammed, but for a while (before I bought a TiVo) I power cycle almost everything once a month. I've read posts like yours and I can't attribute my 100% uptime to the monthly action, but... I also have everything on a UPS and reset the TiVo (or other devices) after any update to their firmware. I just used my Roamio to view the folder on a Premiere that is accessed via WiFi and there was no measurable delay viewing all 10 episodes. There could be some hesitation on the first access after a restart, but that's normal for many computer based devices.

Computers (TiVo) are not slow, they're just busy doing something else.

JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:24 AM   #3
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by AE1360 View Post
Hey guys, was hoping somebody had a solution for me here. I have a Roamio Pro DVR that ran great when I got it in December. Was night and day better than my Premiere.

In the past month or so though I've noticed that it loads everything quick EXCEPT for folders. You got a single show, it works fine. A folder with more than one show and it will think for a solid minute straight, though if you exit out and go back in (left arrow then right arrow, not completely exit) it loads sometimes first thing then. This seems to have all started when the update with OnePass came out. I also can't create a OnePass half of the time, and it takes forever as well. I don't even have it set to record stuff that is online, just broadcast.
Definitely shouldn't be doing what you are saying. Even with having my Roamios up for months at a time, I've never had it take more than a second to load a folder.....even a folder with 30+ shows in it.

Are you seeing any slowdowns with network things populating....like the discovery bar, or program info/images?

HAve you considered doing something like a Clear program information & To Do List? as opposed to a full clear and delete everything?

-Kevin

Last edited by kbmb; 04-08-2015 at 11:01 AM.
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:42 AM   #4
bradleys
It'll be fine....

I agree with @kbmb, it shouldn't take that long to load your folders... That isn't saying that the system doesn't get busy every now and again and you will NEVER see a slow moment - but the Roamio is a pretty snappy box.

If you are experiencing consistent slowness that is odd.

TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:48 AM   #5
Mikeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
Definitely shouldn't be doing what you are saying.
Why? A few dozen resets/restarts a year? Or is JoeKustra pulling the plug out of the wall, and is that seen as a problem?

Mikeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 11:00 AM   #6
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeguy View Post
Why? A few dozen resets/restarts a year? Or is JoeKustra pulling the plug out of the wall, and is that seen as a problem?
My comment was to @AE1360 saying that those slow folder loads and not being able to create OnePasses shouldn't be doing that. I've adjusted my original post to show the quote.

-Kevin

Old 04-08-2015, 03:30 PM   #7
AE1360

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
Hope I don't get slammed, but for a while (before I bought a TiVo) I power cycle almost everything once a month. I've read posts like yours and I can't attribute my 100% uptime to the monthly action
Naw, I actually end up resetting it often. The other day it did on its own when the software was acting wonky (rare that has ever happened but i'm sure we've all had it happen before once). But I have it connected through my Xbox One and sometimes it isn't giving a signal to the XB1 and I need to reset it after trying everything else.

Quote:
Definitely shouldn't be doing what you are saying. Even with having my Roamios up for months at a time, I've never had it take more than a second to load a folder.....even a folder with 30+ shows in it.

Are you seeing any slowdowns with network things populating....like the discovery bar, or program info/images?

HAve you considered doing something like a Clear program information & To Do List? as opposed to a full clear and delete everything?

-Kevin
Naw, nothing slow anywhere else really. I will try the suggestions. I have thought about the network being an issue but that doesn't really make sense. Everything else loads fine. I really really don't want to do a factory reset again so will try anything.

Quote:
not being able to create OnePasses shouldn't be doing that.
To be clear, I can make OnePasses but they just think forever. Sometimes they think forever and it just goes back to the screen as if I never selected the "Set one pass with these options" or whatever the wording is.

Old 04-08-2015, 03:34 PM   #8
kbmb

Quote:
To be clear, I can make OnePasses but they just think forever. Sometimes they think forever and it just goes back to the screen as if I never selected the "Set one pass with these options" or whatever the wording is.
Yeah, that's still not good. I can create OnePasses with little to no delay.

-Kevin

Old 04-08-2015, 05:49 PM   #9
tomhorsley

There is a reset you can do short of a complete factory reset that goes through a rebuilds all the directories and internal data structures. I forget what it is called, but it takes many hours to run, however it leaves the TiVo with all the stuff on it that it started with.

tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:16 PM   #10
AE1360

Quote:
Yeah, that's still not good. I can create OnePasses with little to no delay.

-Kevin
Yup...wonder if it is specifically because of the onepass update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
There is a reset you can do short of a complete factory reset that goes through a rebuilds all the directories and internal data structures. I forget what it is called, but it takes many hours to run, however it leaves the TiVo with all the stuff on it that it started with.
Hours? Oi. Mine was factory reset 2 months ago...only 20% full. Sure hope not. Trying to find a way to do this.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:38 AM   #11
AE1360

Clearing guide and to do list data seems to have fixed it, though it is still loading ~40% right now, things are working smooth as butter.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:45 AM   #12
kbmb

Quote:
Clearing guide and to do list data seems to have fixed it, though it is still loading ~40% right now, things are working smooth as butter.
Nice!

-Kevin