TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.91 average.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:21 PM   #1
chef616

TiVo Slide Pro Remote

In case any one is interested, a post showed up in my RSS reader today regarding the rumored new Tivo Slide remote. The link in the post doesn't work, but I am posting the text that was included.

http://blog.tivo.com/2013/11/introdu...de-pro-remote/

Thought you had it good with your TiVo remote? Well, you do. But you can have it even better. Enhance your TiVo experience with the new TiVo Slide Pro Remote! Not only does it have a slide out QWERTY keyboard and fully backlit buttons to make searching and text entry faster/easier/dark-room-friendly, but it has an ergonomic exterior that makes it sleeker than ever. And donít worry Ė itís not just a prettier face. The TiVo Slide Pro Remote has a more powerful signal. In addition to IR, it has an ...

chef616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:09 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

Someone must have let it slip early. If it has learning capabilities I might consider getting one. My A/V system is finally getting simple enough that I might just be able to use a single TiVo remote for at least the part I use most often.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:40 PM   #3
leiff

Especially if rf signal is improved. Dont know if i have a deffecrive remote but controlling my tivo roamio basic from my second room where i mirror a second tv a mere 20 ft. Away frequently gives red light errors where comand fails, while in tivo room no errors result.
leiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:45 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

I haven't played with the RF much because I currently use a Harmony. If the Slide Pro has learning, which I expect it will, then I'll probably be able to make it usable for my setup.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:47 PM   #5
innocentfreak

I hope it has the weight of the old Slide Remote. It will be interesting to see how they price it.

I would imagine it should be cheaper than the previous Slide since you don't need the BT dongle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:58 PM   #6
jwbelcher

An RF dongle would be nice for older Tivos.... I'd imagine it could even work on the TivoHD. Just needs to hide the RF stuff behind a USB-HID driver.
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:21 PM   #7
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Well, we know it is coming... it is just a matter of when. I *LOVE* the Slide remote. I love the buttons, the weight, the feel, the convenience, the battery life, the backlight, just about everything. But they can't tolerate being dropped much (even on carpet... and my cats love to test gravity).

My first one went bad after a year. Now my second one just started going bad (No, it is not just a lose cable) I hope they have fixed that issue because I am really not enthused about spending that much money yet again on something that will only last a year again.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:28 PM   #8
davezatz
Funkadelic

Google cached it. Backlit, RF & IR, some mention of "learns" but no pricing yet.

https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...-pro-remote%2F

davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:32 PM   #9
gigaguy

The page is gone. Oh, I see the new link above.
I don't see much new in specs except it's thinner, I guess it's a fix to problems the first one had for some people. Mine work fine, sometimes I have to remove the battery to reset it. I don't need the finder stuff.
but do I trust Tivo to do it !00% right? it's a complex remote.

I love the slide. BT is great, size is easier to handle with one hand. I have a spare one in the box for future needs.
I never even use the keyboard, I find searching by clicking 3-4 letters onscreen is easier.

How much were these originally? like $60?

Last edited by gigaguy : 11-04-2013 at 07:45 PM.
gigaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:33 PM   #10
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
Google cached it. Backlit, RF & IR, some mention of "learns" but no pricing yet.
Yep, looks exactly like the old Slide, except the newer TiVo logo button, the moved zoom/guide button, and the changes on the keyboard.

On the keyboard, they moved the nav keys to the center and moved the keypad numbers to the 1st row. This should theoretically make typing easier... but without using it, I am not sure yet.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:48 PM   #11
aaronwt
HD Addict

Any ideas what the price will be? If priced right I'll need to pick up three and sell my three original slides. I either need to get three or none since I want all the remotes I use to have the same button placement. That's why I rarely use the Roamio remote because I hit the wrong buttons for zoom and guide.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:52 PM   #12
gigaguy

Oh, the orig slide was $89 I see in engadget..
Old 11-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #13
Beryl

If it has learning, I'd consider it only with a SquareTrade warranty. I got burned after purchasing 2 of the original slide remotes that lasted just over 90 days.
Beryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:14 PM   #14
aaronwt
HD Addict

I'm going on two years with my first slide and a few months less with my other two. They all still work great. Although I did get the extended warranty on the two I got from BestBuy. SO if I do have issues I will be covered. Of course they couldn't replace them with anything until the new model comes out.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:28 AM   #15
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
Yep, looks exactly like the old Slide, except the newer TiVo logo button, the moved zoom/guide button, and the changes on the keyboard.

On the keyboard, they moved the nav keys to the center and moved the keypad numbers to the 1st row. This should theoretically make typing easier... but without using it, I am not sure yet.
I bet it's a bit longer. It's probably the same size as the one that comes with the Roamio, which it slightly longer then the Slide but a lot shorter then the one that came with the Premiere.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:45 AM   #16
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I bet it's a bit longer. It's probably the same size as the one that comes with the Roamio, which it slightly longer then the Slide but a lot shorter then the one that came with the Premiere.
No, I can tell by the photo it is the same size- 6" long
Old 11-05-2013, 09:41 AM   #17
jrtroo
User

Love the new keyboard layout. My only complaint with the "current" slide was the long reach to some of the alpha keys, and this matches how I have my tablet keypad set up for thumb use.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:17 AM   #18
abovethesink

Wow. It seems downright insane to me for anyone to pay $89 just to get a keyboard on their remote. To each their own though.

On the topic of remotes, I am constantly hitting slow motion on my Roamio remote when I mean to hit play. The remote always flips over in my hand somehow, or I pick it up upside down. My wife does the same thing. Anyone else do that?
abovethesink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:46 AM   #19
gigaguy

I bought used ones much cheaper. The bluetooth is a great advantage if your keep your electronics out of sight, which I do. no more pointing except for volume at the TV itself.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:57 AM   #20
NYHeel

By the way, the current Roamio remote can be set so that the TV Power button can power on both your TV and an AV Receiver. I'm sure the same thing applies to a soundbar as well. Just program the TV's power first and then program the AV receiver power afterwards using the same methodology and the code you used when programming the volume and mute.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:20 PM   #21
modnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHeel View Post
By the way, the current Roamio remote can be set so that the TV Power button can power on both your TV and an AV Receiver. I'm sure the same thing applies to a soundbar as well. Just program the TV's power first and then program the AV receiver power afterwards using the same methodology and the code you used when programming the volume and mute.
Some people have an issue where the remote code for their receiver sends either the explicit ON or OFF command for a "Power" button press. In my case, that means, I have to use my receiver remote to turn off my receiver (Onkyo) but can turn it on with the Roamio remote power button.
modnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:34 PM   #22
Johnwashere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
If it has learning, I'd consider it only with a SquareTrade warranty. I got burned after purchasing 2 of the original slide remotes that lasted just over 90 days.
According to the cached tivo site it does learn:

And donít worry Ė itís not just a prettier face.

The TiVo Slide Pro Remote has a more powerful signal. In addition to IR, it has an RF signal, which removes line-of-sight requirements. Itís ideal for the in-cabinet or home theatre setup. Actually, itís ideal for any home. Human nature dictates that we lose our remotes more often than weíd like to, but with the TiVo Roamio Plus or Pro, thatís one less thing to stress about. Pressing a button on either of these units activates a built-in remote finder! Thatís right. A jingle plays, telling you where your TiVo Slide Pro Remote is, and you donít have to waste precious TV watching time throwing around your throw pillows.

The enhanced remote also has Search and Back buttons and learns commands for power, input, volume and mute directly from the remote controls of your TV and receiver. Lastly, the RF signal, the remote finder and all of your other personalized settings wonít get mixed up if you have more than one unit, because the TiVo Slide Pro remote is made to work with one unit and one unit only. How roam-antic is that?

Johnwashere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:37 PM   #23
Grakthis

The only way the slide remote is worth it is if they integrate search in to the guide so I can just type a show or channel name and have it jump to them.

I swear, TiVo is still sticking with the channel paradigm and it makes no sense. No one cares about channel numbers. Stop making me learn them.
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:39 PM   #24
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakthis View Post
The only way the slide remote is worth it is if they integrate search in to the guide so I can just type a show or channel name and have it jump to them.

I swear, TiVo is still sticking with the channel paradigm and it makes no sense. No one cares about channel numbers. Stop making me learn them.
When has TiVo made you learn channel numbers? I have no idea where most of the stations are located. When I search i don't need to know the channel number of the station.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:57 PM   #25
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
No, I can tell by the photo it is the same size- 6" long
I'm pretty sure it's a tad bit longer. The new one has that extra Guide button under the D pad. They had to have made it a bit longer to accommodate that. And since the remote is symmetrical they had to add an equal amount of space to the bottom half of the remote. You can see in the picture there is a bit more space under the numbers and a bit more space on either end of the keyboard. It may not be the same size as the new Roamio remote, but it definitely looks to be a bit longer then the current slide.

This picture is more straight on and shows the size difference better...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg tivo-roamio-slide-remote.jpg (78.5 KB, 1369 views)
Old 11-05-2013, 06:29 PM   #26
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by abovethesink View Post
Wow. It seems downright insane to me for anyone to pay $89 just to get a keyboard on their remote. To each their own though.
It is more than just a keyboard.

A learning RF remote with fantastic design and great size and useful backlight is certainly worth $50. So perhaps it is $39 more for a keyboard, no?
Old 11-05-2013, 06:36 PM   #27
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I'm pretty sure it's a tad bit longer. The new one has that extra Guide button under the D pad.
But it looks to me like they made the nav dial and the jog dial ever so slightly shorter than before gaining the extra space needed for the guide button.

Quote:
You can see in the picture there is a bit more space under the numbers
There is, but it also looks like the numbers are squished together more to me.

Quote:
and a bit more space on either end of the keyboard.
That doesn't matter at all, because the layout is very different.

Quote:
It may not be the same size as the new Roamio remote, but it definitely looks to be a bit longer then the current slide.
If it is any longer, it might be like 1/8". But to me, holding up my Slide to that photo, the proportions make it look exactly the same to me. I guess we should start a pool
Old 11-05-2013, 07:28 PM   #28
Dan203
Super Moderator

I have one in my hand too, and to me the new one looks longer. I'm guessing by at least 1/2".

I guess we'll see soon enough.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:46 PM   #29
moyekj

So basically it's the current Roamio remote + IR learning + backlight + keyboard for $90 (more than a standalone Stream) right? That's a pass for me. Keyboard is useless to me as I'd never use it, and backlight I'd never use either as I don't like dark rooms for TV watching. I just wish the current Roamio remote included IR learning and it would have been perfect for me.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:55 PM   #30
Dan203
Super Moderator

Plus back lit keys. And I'm sure it's a bit heftier with better build quality. (the Roamio remote feels a bit cheap to me)

But where are we getting this $90 figure. Someone said that was the original price for the original Slide. And didn't it eventually drop to $60? Honestly if it is $90 I'm not sure there are many people who will buy it.