TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #1
laria
Librocubicularist

Help me whittle down my comedies

I have a lot of comedies piling up on my TiVo, most of which were shows I added this year but haven't even started to watch. I already deleted some (Brooklyn Nine Nine and Dads) without watching because I was having conflicts with other shows. But I've got a pileup that I want to clear out.

Here are the comedies I currently watch and enjoy: Modern Family, Big Bang Theory, HIMYM, Mike & Molly (although it sounds like this season isn't off to a great start... haven't watched it yet), Suburgatory, Parks & Rec

Here are the comedies I currently watch when I get around to it, although I generally enjoy them once I finally start watching: 2 Broke Girls, New Girl, The Mindy Project

Here are the comedies I have piling up. All are completely unwatched, except for The Crazy Ones, which I have watched the pilot for (I didn't hate it). Which ones should I watch? Any I should just dump?

- The Crazy Ones
- The Goldbergs
- Mom
- The Millers
- Trophy Wife
Old 11-07-2013, 11:44 AM   #2
hefe
Rebus Philbin

Mine are piling up too. The only ones I really keep up with are Modern Family and The Neighbors. I've got most of those others recorded too.

Hefe's a cruel man, but fair.~edhara
That hefe, he's really smart!~Fish Man
hefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:50 AM   #3
BradJW

I've got those plus a couple more. Add at least Brooklyn 99 in that list.

I want to watch them, but just really don't have time.
The ones I do keep up with:

Modern Family
Two & a Half Men
Parks & Recreation
2 Broke Girls
Mike & Molly
Big Bang Theory
Anger Management

Pretty obvious why I don't have time for all the new ones.
BradJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:09 PM   #4
The Spud
Nick Danger, 3rd Eye

All 5 of those have something to like. For me, my least favorite among those are The Goldbergs and The Millers. Of course someone else is going to post that those are their favorites.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Spud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:20 PM   #5
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

I watch them all so no help from me,I wouldn't dump any
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:34 PM   #6
cheesesteak
Meh.

This thread made me realize that I watch no comedies. Community is probably the only comedy in my tivo season pass list.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:37 PM   #7
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spud View Post
All 5 of those have something to like. For me, my least favorite among those are The Goldbergs and The Millers. Of course someone else is going to post that those are their favorites.
Yep - comedies are so subjective. I like The Goldbergs a lot. Have not watched any of the others. At least this one has been picked up for a full-season order.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:38 PM   #8
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Looking at the ratings, I would kill trophy wife if you are the sort who doesn't like to watch shows you know are canceled, because it seems fairly likely to be canceled. The goldbergs is also not doing super well, but a lot better than trophy wife.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:41 PM   #9
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I watched all in the OP's list. I dumped Trophy Wife after 2 episodes. I'm building up a backlog of Crazy One's and Mom, but am caught up on everything else.

I'm not crazy about the 2 shows in my backlog. Just never feel motivated to watching them. I wouldn't doubt I give up on them.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:48 PM   #10
dwells

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
Looking at the ratings, I would kill trophy wife if you are the sort who doesn't like to watch shows you know are canceled, because it seems fairly likely to be canceled. The goldbergs is also not doing super well, but a lot better than trophy wife.
I would definitely give Trophy Wife a shot- we are really enjoying it.

And it has been picked up for the whole season, so no cancellation worries until next year..........
dwells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:56 PM   #11
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

The Goldbergs is the only one on your list that stuck with us. We love it.

Bachelorhood: Life, liberty, and the happiness of pursuit.

Xbox Live: ClutchBrake
ClutchBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #12
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
I would definitely give Trophy Wife a shot- we are really enjoying it.

And it has been picked up for the whole season, so no cancellation worries until next year..........
Trophy Wife has been getting a lot of "showing promise and improving as the season goes on" sorts of reviews lately. It seems like one that ABC is committed to making a go of.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:07 PM   #13
jehma

Mom has had some great moments. It's better than I thought it would be. I really enjoyed Octavia Spencer's guest spot and Alison Janney is so great.

The Crazy Ones is hit or miss for me. I do like Robin Williams and Buffy, and the rest of the cast is pretty good, but some of the episodes have been meh.
jehma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:07 PM   #14
Alfer
WOOSAH!

Dump The Millers for sure.

Crazy Ones is still passable for now...keep

Goldbergs hasn't been great but still has some promise, I'd keep.

Dump the rest I say.
Alfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:09 PM   #15
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

- The Crazy Ones
- The Goldbergs
- Mom
- The Millers
- Trophy Wife

The ones bolded are the ones I still watch. I've tried them all. Moms was absolutely horrible, barely made it through the pilot. The Millers I watched about 3 episodes and it was just a poor imitation of Everyone Loves Raymond. If it wasn't for the cast, I would have dumped after the pilot. It just got stupiider.

The Crazy Ones get's better. If your a Robin Williams fan, you'll like it, but he really doesn't go over the top with his crazy schtick. And I think the supporting cast is top notch.

The Goldbergs gets better and better. The pilot was good and it just got better as you start to know the characters. Think of it as an updated version of The Wonder Years with a touch of The Middle. A bit of a lighter tone than Wonder Years.

Trophy Wife - well we love it. I think it's very funny and very well written. Yea ratings suck, and it might get cancelled, but it did get a full season order so it will probably stick around for this season. It's a sitcom so there's no underlying story line that won't get finished if cancelled. Why not enjoy it while it's still on the air? This is the type of show that threat of cancellation shouldn't effect your decision making.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:25 PM   #16
mr.unnatural

Sitcoms tend to make my short list of which shows get cut from my recording schedule first. I've already cut The Crazy Ones, The Michael J. Fox Show, and Brooklyn Ninety-Nine. I haven't seen any others that interested me enough to check them out. The only network sitcoms I currently watch are Modern Family, The Neighbors, and Big Bang Theory.

I've tried watching others, but most of them just aren't that funny, at least not enough to hold my interest. I expect I'll probably burn out on The Neighbors once they run out of holidays to write about (introducing the aliens to the vast array of earthly holidays seems to be their primary storyline).

On cable I watch Louie, Always Sunny in Philadelphia, The League, and Legit. I also watch the Daily Show with John Stewart, but that doesn't really qualify as a sitcom.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:39 PM   #17
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

I say that if you're not watching them at all, you aren't interested, so drop them all.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:45 PM   #18
JYoung
Series 3

Of the five, I only watch The Millers and The Crazy Ones and I say to dump The Millers.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:30 PM   #19
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
I have a lot of comedies piling up on my TiVo, most of which were shows I added this year but haven't even started to watch. I already deleted some (Brooklyn Nine Nine and Dads) without watching because I was having conflicts with other shows. But I've got a pileup that I want to clear out.

Here are the comedies I currently watch and enjoy: Modern Family, Big Bang Theory, HIMYM, Mike & Molly (although it sounds like this season isn't off to a great start... haven't watched it yet), Suburgatory, Parks & Rec

Here are the comedies I currently watch when I get around to it, although I generally enjoy them once I finally start watching: 2 Broke Girls, New Girl, The Mindy Project

Here are the comedies I have piling up. All are completely unwatched, except for The Crazy Ones, which I have watched the pilot for (I didn't hate it). Which ones should I watch? Any I should just dump?

- The Crazy Ones
- The Goldbergs
- Mom
- The Millers
- Trophy Wife
I watch and enjoy all of your backlog comedies. My faves of those would be The Crazy Ones and Trophy Wife. The others are good, but I wouldn't be crushed if they weren't renewed.

I am still watching Brooklyn Nine Nine and Dads, but have considered dropping B99.

I watch everything you listed that you currently watch except for Mike & Molly and Parks & Rec. Had too many shows when they started so I didn't even start them. I can always go back and watch them on Netflix or something later on.

I watch all your "get around to it" list except for The Mindy Project. I just have interest in it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:36 PM   #20
laria
Librocubicularist

Ah well, I was hoping someone who watches all the same comedies as I do already would come tell me "they are all terrible, clean up the space on your TiVos".

I'll probably hold on to them all and try them eventually. I think we're going to get a holiday Roamio, so that should help with disk space issues.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:42 PM   #21
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Ah well, I was hoping someone who watches all the same comedies as I do already would come tell me "they are all terrible, clean up the space on your TiVos".

I'll probably hold on to them all and try them eventually.
That was going to be my suggestion - watch each pilot and keep/lose them based on that. Yes you may dump one that gets better later, but it's as good a method as any.

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:37 PM   #22
mattack

Quote:
- The Crazy Ones
- The Goldbergs
- Mom
- The Millers
- Trophy Wife

I'd say dump Mom & The Millers. I don't watch The Goldbergs either anymore, but that one I can see why others like it.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:02 PM   #23
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:

- The Crazy Ones
- The Goldbergs
- Mom
- The Millers
- Trophy Wife
I'm a big sitcom fan. I will try every new sitcom each year, and do my best to watch at least a couple episodes, and not fall victim to the Bad Pilot syndrome.

I watch all of the same shows you do ('cept HIMYM). Mom is the only one of the five above I have actually cut. The Millers is hit & miss; last week I swore I was through with it, then this week it was the best episode of the year. So it lives one more week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
- The Crazy Ones
- The Goldbergs
- Mom
- The Millers
- Trophy Wife

The ones bolded are the ones I still watch. I've tried them all. Moms was absolutely horrible, barely made it through the pilot. The Millers I watched about 3 episodes and it was just a poor imitation of Everyone Loves Raymond. If it wasn't for the cast, I would have dumped after the pilot. It just got stupiider.

The Crazy Ones get's better. If your a Robin Williams fan, you'll like it, but he really doesn't go over the top with his crazy schtick. And I think the supporting cast is top notch.

The Goldbergs gets better and better. The pilot was good and it just got better as you start to know the characters. Think of it as an updated version of The Wonder Years with a touch of The Middle. A bit of a lighter tone than Wonder Years.

Trophy Wife - well we love it. I think it's very funny and very well written. Yea ratings suck, and it might get cancelled, but it did get a full season order so it will probably stick around for this season. It's a sitcom so there's no underlying story line that won't get finished if cancelled. Why not enjoy it while it's still on the air? This is the type of show that threat of cancellation shouldn't effect your decision making.
Amazingly close to my thoughts. The Crazy Ones keeps getting better, and is moving up to #1 of this year's batch. The Goldbergs is a solid show, but it takes a while (2-3 eps) to grow on you. Love the Trophy Wife; great cast, funny stories.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:12 PM   #24
dwells

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
Sitcoms tend to make my short list of which shows get cut from my recording schedule first. I've already cut The Crazy Ones, The Michael J. Fox Show, and Brooklyn Ninety-Nine. I haven't seen any others that interested me enough to check them out. The only network sitcoms I currently watch are Modern Family, The Neighbors, and Big Bang Theory.

I've tried watching others, but most of them just aren't that funny, at least not enough to hold my interest. I expect I'll probably burn out on The Neighbors once they run out of holidays to write about (introducing the aliens to the vast array of earthly holidays seems to be their primary storyline).
It wasn't on the original poster's list, but The Neighbors is the most underrated show on right now, in our opinion. Anyone who gave up on it or didn't give a chance because of the premise is really missing out. It keeps getting better. Sounds crazy, but it is one of the better written shows..
dwells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:07 AM   #25
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
It wasn't on the original poster's list, but The Neighbors is the most underrated show on right now, in our opinion. Anyone who gave up on it or didn't give a chance because of the premise is really missing out. It keeps getting better. Sounds crazy, but it is one of the better written shows..
We love The Neighbors. It's far fetched and the "alien" thing is kind of blurring in my opinion (i.e. we see the aliens acting more human than alien now), but you can see the whole show is played for laughs and it does what it's supposed to, it makes me laugh!!
Old 11-08-2013, 07:14 AM   #26
jamesbobo
with a grain of salt

Of the 5 shows you list I only watch Mom and like it quite a bit. The pilot doesn't start out strong but quickly improves after the first scene in the restaurant.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:13 AM   #27
jehma

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbobo View Post
Of the 5 shows you list I only watch Mom and like it quite a bit. The pilot doesn't start out strong but quickly improves after the first scene in the restaurant.
Mom definitely improves.
jehma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:36 AM   #28
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
We love The Neighbors. It's far fetched and the "alien" thing is kind of blurring in my opinion (i.e. we see the aliens acting more human than alien now), but you can see the whole show is played for laughs and it does what it's supposed to, it makes me laugh!!
100% this.

I remember killing this show/SP ten minutes into the pilot. It was so shtoopid! But then my "give sitcoms an ep or two" rule kicked in, I undeleted it and watched a couple more. Got funnier and funnier.

Now it is definitely a top 3 sitcom. It does take time to grow on you, but it's worth it. Very slick humor, sort of a hybrid between the self-aware meta of Community and the slapstick/juxtapositional humor of Modern Family. Without being either one of those shows. {did that make sense?}
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:43 AM   #29
laria
Librocubicularist

I watched about 3 episodes of The Neighbors last year before I dumped it. I just didn't like it. Maybe I didn't give it long enough.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #30
billypritchard
Embiggener

I watch most what you do. I think there are two clear winners.

Brooklyn-99
Trophy Wife

All the others were pretty blech to me. I've been watching the Millers, but just because I can't quit Margo Martindale.