TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-31-2013, 07:23 AM   #1
caslu

Person of Interest OAD 10/30/13

Not a lot of talk about this show which has really become a new favorite for me... not bad considering I dropped my SP on it twice in the past. The last two episodes were particularly good... more Shaw/Root team-ups please!!!
caslu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:12 AM   #2
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

I ahev not gotten around to watching it yet this week. I started last weeks thread and it got quite a bit of activity.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:32 PM   #3
astrohip
Stuart F

I think it's a fairly popular show, just not a lot of TCF TV Talk activity. And yes, Root & Shaw have added a new dimension to this show. A little less Fusco, which is ok with me.

I'd like to see the character from this week--Tim Sloan, an “estate investigator” played by Kirk Acevedo--become a regular, even if it's sporadic.

BTW, the air date was 10/29.

Here's a review from AV Club, if you would like to read more about the show...

http://www.avclub.com/articles/mors-praematura,104798/
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:34 PM   #4
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

One of my favorites as well, but it's one of those shows where, for some reason, there doesn't seem to be much to discuss. Which is weird because you'd think there'd be a LOT to talk about with a show like this.

I'm the only one in my family that follows it so I need to watch it during "off hours" (usually that's late in the evening), but it's always the first one I get to when I have a chance.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:58 PM   #5
JYoung
Series 3

I enjoy the show a lot as it's well done.

You have good actors, good writing, good action with a good mix of "Case of the week" with ongoing mythology and the show isn't afraid to show shades of gray.

The show does well in total viewers but since the move to Tuesday at 10 PM has been losing in demo viewers (which I suspected would be the case when it was moved).

This week's episode got 12 million total views, which beats The Voice, but slipped in demo down to 1.9 (a series low).

I really liked how the tied the two sides of the story together and it's very interesting what the Machine is up to.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:44 AM   #6
Amnesia
The Question

Yes, couple of interesting things Machine-wise this episode. Why did the "main team" get the estate investigator's number instead of the guy captured by the CIA/NSA/whatever?

Also, didn't Root retrieve a phone from under the bench (that is, wasn't she in contact with the machine at the end)? If so, how was it that she was surprised by the two baddies showing up? Or by Shaw hitting her? If the Machine could accurately predict exactly what questions the CIA/NSA guy was going to ask Shaw (a little unbelievable, even for this show), then the Machine certainly would know that Shaw well enough to know that she'd take out Root...
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:46 AM   #7
verdugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post
Also, didn't Root retrieve a phone from under the bench (that is, wasn't she in contact with the machine at the end)?
It wasn't a phone. It was the gun she used to shoot some of the baddies.
verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:31 AM   #8
pendragn

Quote:
then the Machine certainly would know that Shaw well enough to know that she'd take out Root...
Like Harold said at the end, Root doesn't know that the Machine didn't want Shaw to capture her. The Machine might have put Root into a situation where Shaw took her out and they captured her.

tk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pendragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:13 PM   #9
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
If the Machine could accurately predict exactly what questions the CIA/NSA guy was going to ask Shaw (a little unbelievable, even for this show)
It wasn't so bad. The code/PIN info Shaw had to give during the pickup was pretty believable; that's probably SOP.

The trick with the guard in the secure facility was a little more out there. I thought maybe it was actually the machine making his phone generate static, etc., just so Shaw could give him instructions on how to fix it, since for some reason the machine couldn't get the code she needed.

Originally it seemed like the machine could not act, it could just watch and report. But this season it seems the machine can take direct control: consider when it helped Root use the pill dispensary a few shows ago. That's a pretty big change.
Old 11-02-2013, 01:50 PM   #10
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdugan View Post
She also got an earpiece out of that envelope too.
But like pendragn said, this may be part of the machine's plan.

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 11-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #11
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

POI is building up a nice reservoir of characters in reserve to deploy over the rest of the season.

We had Root and Shaw. They added the Russian little girl "KGB spy" last week. Now this investigator and Carter's turned-from-HR Russian rookie cop partner.

Heh. Lotsa Russians.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:15 PM   #12
verdugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
She also got an earpiece out of that envelope too.
But like pendragn said, this may be part of the machine's plan.
Thanks, missed the ear piece.

And agree with you and pedragn. Wonder if Root is going to become part of the team?
Old 11-02-2013, 05:39 PM   #13
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Thanks, missed the ear piece.

And agree with you and pedragn. Wonder if Root is going to become part of the team?
Well, if you watch the Season 3 opening title sequence closely, you'll notice that the Machine has tagged Root/Samantha Groves with "Asset" and "Analog Interface".

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 11-03-2013, 11:27 AM   #14
verdugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
Well, if you watch the Season 3 opening title sequence closely, you'll notice that the Machine has tagged Root/Samantha Groves with "Asset" and "Analog Interface".
I remember that, but is she going to be a lone wolf type of asset or be part of the Scooby Gang? My money is being part of the team.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:31 PM   #15
Thom

Root can't be trusted as part of the team. She's a little too crazy and has her own agenda...
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:31 PM   #16
Amnesia
The Question

She is committed to carrying out the Machine's agenda...
Old 11-03-2013, 06:06 PM   #17
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
I remember that, but is she going to be a lone wolf type of asset or be part of the Scooby Gang? My money is being part of the team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
Root can't be trusted as part of the team. She's a little too crazy and has her own agenda...
Quote:
She is committed to carrying out the Machine's agenda...
Now that she's out of the loony bin, Root is off her meds - including Thorizine(!) We've seen how that works with Carrie Matheson. Remember that Root was ruthless(heh!) and not hesitant to kill before.
UVerse and OTA

Old 11-03-2013, 08:41 PM   #18
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

I'm a bit fuzzy on why the machine communicates with root directly but only sends numbers to Harold.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:37 PM   #19
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman View Post
I'm a bit fuzzy on why the machine communicates with root directly but only sends numbers to Harold.
Yeah, and doesn't even tell Harold if the number is a good guy or bad guy.
UVerse and OTA

Old 11-04-2013, 12:19 AM   #20
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman View Post
To the best of my recollection...

The virus that got released last season by some bad guy organization was designed to cause some kind of system failure that would force the machine to do a system reset and perform some kind of fail safe reach out to the Administrator. This reach out was a phone call to a predetermined location (which turned out to be a pay phone in the New York Public Library). The bad guy's plan was to be in place to take the call, so they could then be in control of the machine (since apparently the machine would confer Admin rights on whomever it was that took the call).

Root somehow figured out what was going on and that's why she kidnapped Harold; so that he could lead her to where the call would be. She managed to be the one to take the call, so now she's got some kind of special connection with the machine.

Here's my problem though... Reese, with Shaw's help, managed to infiltrate the library as well, and fiddled with the phone lines so that he got the call as well. For the rest of that episode, the machine gave direct instructions to both Root and Reese, but since then only Root has been having that kind of interface. I'm not exactly sure what's up with that.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:57 AM   #21
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
Here's my problem though... Reese, with Shaw's help, managed to infiltrate the library as well, and fiddled with the phone lines so that he got the call as well. For the rest of that episode, the machine gave direct instructions to both Root and Reese, but since then only Root has been having that kind of interface. I'm not exactly sure what's up with that.
This bothers me too. Unless it is somehow part of the machine's plans.

As with religion, you can always say "it is god's the machine's will".

Gives a whole new meaning to deus est machina.

eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:57 AM   #22
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
To the best of my recollection...

The virus that got released last season by some bad guy organization was designed to cause some kind of system failure that would force the machine to do a system reset and perform some kind of fail safe reach out to the Administrator. This reach out was a phone call to a predetermined location (which turned out to be a pay phone in the New York Public Library). The bad guy's plan was to be in place to take the call, so they could then be in control of the machine (since apparently the machine would confer Admin rights on whomever it was that took the call).

Root somehow figured out what was going on and that's why she kidnapped Harold; so that he could lead her to where the call would be. She managed to be the one to take the call, so now she's got some kind of special connection with the machine.

Yeahbut the "virus" (worm) was planted by Harold himself when IIRC, Harold hired the original organization that had Reese and whatername steal the laptop with the virus code on it in China....or something.

I guess the point was it was a way for Harold to regain control of the machine.

The plot is really so circular I doubt that the writers can even keep track anymore.
UVerse and OTA

Old 11-05-2013, 08:47 AM   #23
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAndrews View Post
Yeahbut the "virus" (worm) was planted by Harold himself when IIRC, Harold hired the original organization that had Reese and whatername steal the laptop with the virus code on it in China....or something.

I guess the point was it was a way for Harold to regain control of the machine.
Right... I forgot about that part.

Quote:
The plot is really so circular I doubt that the writers can even keep track anymore.
Hello! It's J.J. Abrams. Duh!

(I'm still bitter over Alias )

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:35 AM   #24
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
This part made me laugh. She taped a big yellow envelope under a New York City park bench in broad daylight with a hundred people around and it was still there when she needed it much later. Yeah, right.

I like the characters on this show but the plots are absurd.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:29 PM   #25
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
I like the characters on this show but the plots are absurd.
The presence of the envelope was hardly the most absurd thing about the episode...