TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-10-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
neo_sapien

How many TiVo Minis can you connect to a Premiere 4?

When the TiVo Mini first came out, you could only connect 2 of them to a TiVo Premiere 4, due to a software issue. It was said that in a future update you would be able to connect 3. Has that update been released, enabling this new functionality yet?

I have a TiVo Premiere 4, 2 TiVo Minis, and a rented cable box. I am looking forward to replacing the rented cable box with a third TiVo Mini.
neo_sapien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:31 PM   #2
BigJimOutlaw

A few people here have already connected 3 Minis. The limit with the 4-tuner boxes is that only up to 2 Minis can watch live TV simultaneously. But you can connect 3 if you want... and any 2 of them can do Live TV at the same time.

The dynamic tuner allocation software fix is expected pretty soon, however Tivo seemingly wants to make sure there are 2 tuners available to the DVR itself, so all 4-tuner boxes may still be fixed at 2 simultaneous live TV streams max.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 09-10-2013 at 10:38 PM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:10 AM   #3
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
A few people here have already connected 3 Minis. The limit with the 4-tuner boxes is that only up to 2 Minis can watch live TV simultaneously. But you can connect 3 if you want... and any 2 of them can do Live TV at the same time.

The dynamic tuner allocation software fix is expected pretty soon, however Tivo seemingly wants to make sure there are 2 tuners available to the DVR itself, so all 4-tuner boxes may still be fixed at 2 simultaneous live TV streams max.
As a point I am now testing out a Roamio Plus with 5 Minis and was surprised that I could tune each of the 5 Minis to a different channel, when I went to the Roamio it did show that 5 tuners were in use by other TiVos, I could only get to one tuner on the Roamio itself.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:46 AM   #4
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
As a point I am now testing out a Roamio Plus with 5 Minis and was surprised that I could tune each of the 5 Minis to a different channel, when I went to the Roamio it did show that 5 tuners were in use by other TiVos, I could only get to one tuner on the Roamio itself.
Ah, that's good to know.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:22 AM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

So if you can grab 5 of the 6 tuners from a Roamio what possible reason can they have for preventing a 2 tuner from being the host once the DTA feature hits the Premiere platform? Their original argument was that they wanted the minimum requirement of being able to record one thing while watching another on the main box. It seems they've eliminated that requirement with DTA.

I know all the marketing material has always said that the Mini would only ever work with a 4 tuner host, but I actually have a practical reason for wanting to have it hosted by a 2 tuner. We still have 30 or so analog only stations and the 2 tuner Premiere is the last TiVo to support analog channels. I would like to put a Mini in the guest room, where I don't currently have cable, but our main guests are usually my Nieces and Nephew and all the kids channels are still analog.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:59 AM   #6
neo_sapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post

Ah, so there should be no problem with my proposed setup right now. Only 1 tuner would be allowed to be shared with the 3 Minis, and the Premiere 4 would reserve 3 tuners for itself. I don't use the Minis very often, so there's not much demand for tuners with them.
neo_sapien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #7
dmk1974
DA BEARS!!!

With the new software update, which now has dynamic tuner allocation, has anyone been able to tune 3 separate Minis when connecting to a single Premiere 4?

TiVo Premiere 4 w/Lifetime (318 hr)
TiVo Premiere 4 w/Lifetime (77 hr)
TiVo Mini w/Lifetime (x4)
TiVo Stream
dmk1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:45 AM   #8
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk1974 View Post
With the new software update, which now has dynamic tuner allocation, has anyone been able to tune 3 separate Minis when connecting to a single Premiere 4?
Yes on an XL4.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote