TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-18-2013, 09:40 AM   #1
anthonymoody

What can we reasonably expect from the App Store?

It seems like nowadays to be a truly competitive streaming box you need to offer:

-Netflix
-Hulu Plus
-Vudu
-Amazon Prime (ie streaming)
-YouTube
-HBO Go

I know there are others, and I know that not everyone uses all of these, but these are the ones usually listed first when devices tout what they offer so...

What's your take on the likelihood that these come to the Roamio?

Last edited by anthonymoody : 10-19-2013 at 10:17 AM.
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:57 AM   #2
Smirks
.:. Hello .:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
It seems like nowadays to be a truly competitive streaming box you need to offer:

-Netflix
-Hulu Plus
-Vudu
-Amazon Prime (ie streaming)
-YouTube
-HBO Go

I know their are others, and I know that not everyone uses all of these, but these are the ones usually listed first when devices tout what they offer so...

What's your take on the likelihood that these come to the Roamio?
I would love all of those + WatchESPN and Showtime Anytime.
Smirks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:24 AM   #3
Alan_r

I would happily throw out my Apple TV if there was HBO GO on the Roamio!
Alan_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:52 AM   #4
swerver

Plex or similar please.

I was going to say that with ondemand, we don't need hbogo or showtime anytime, but I just checked and I see much more content available on hbogo than ondemand. Not to mention that many don't even get ondemand. (wonder what the % is)

How about watchespn, what additional content does it provide? Seems like it just streams various espn channels. Does it give you all the channels, even if your cable package only has the primary espn channels?

edit: several espn3 streams are available in the app
swerver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:57 AM   #5
shortcut3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerver View Post
Plex or similar please.

I was going to say that with ondemand, we don't need hbogo or showtime anytime, but I just checked and I see much more content available on hbogo than ondemand. Not to mention that many don't even get ondemand. (wonder what the % is)

How about watchespn, what additional content does it provide? Seems like it just streams various espn channels. Does it give you all the channels, even if your cable package only has the primary espn channels?
Plex or XBMC or any DLNA streaming app. It would be nice to stream directly from my NAS and have rich metadata displayed. PyTivo did not get me to retire my XBMC Intel NUC.
shortcut3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:02 AM   #6
swerver

Agreed xbmc would be even better. Just got one of those NUCs myself, very nice. No more huge htpc in my media cabinet is a win, and openelec vs. windows is also a nice improvement.

I know without a mouse that a browser is tough from a ui perspective, but I do like to stream live concerts and you usually need a browser to do so.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:14 AM   #7
jmpage2

There is no way in hell that TiVo is going to get either Plex or XBMC because the cable/broadcaster industry would have a fit.

While you're at it, request a torrent client.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:39 AM   #8
shortcut3d

I would settle for a good DLNA client that can read metadata correctly. No scraper necessary. I have Sony smart TV's, Blu-ray players, etc. and nothing does DLNA well. A nearly 10 year old Xbox 360 is better.
shortcut3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:56 AM   #9
swerver

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
There is no way in hell that TiVo is going to get either Plex or XBMC because the cable/broadcaster industry would have a fit.

Well they need something if they ever plan to live up to the one box claim. I'll admit I don't know how this works - what can the cable industry do to stop them from having a local streaming app? Are we talking just straight bullying here? Surely it's not illegal in and of itself, though it could be used to watch illegal downloads. But you could say that about the tivo now, too. I thought this was settled back in the vcr days, in favor of consumers.

Didn't they have an announcement last fall or so that they would be implementing some kind of dlna support? I don't like dlna in particular but it's a move in that direction.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:09 PM   #10
bradleys
It'll be fine....

TiVo already has the ability to play local media, so it shouldn't run afoul with the cable labs agreements. The question is will it ever be a priority for TiVo to implement and develop - MSO's are not going to request it, so it is unlikely to be a priority.

The hope for the App Store is that it will embrace a developer community and provide good tools and API's for development.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:34 PM   #11
jmpage2

Quote:
Well they need something if they ever plan to live up to the one box claim. I'll admit I don't know how this works - what can the cable industry do to stop them from having a local streaming app? Are we talking just straight bullying here? Surely it's not illegal in and of itself, though it could be used to watch illegal downloads. But you could say that about the tivo now, too. I thought this was settled back in the vcr days, in favor of consumers.

Didn't they have an announcement last fall or so that they would be implementing some kind of dlna support? I don't like dlna in particular but it's a move in that direction.
They will release apps that tap into subscription models they can get a piece of, like HBO Go, not apps that play MKV files. The industry loves streaming, they just don't want you streaming your own content.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:46 PM   #12
aaronwt
HD Addict

I can't see ever having one box that does everything. I'll always need multiple boxes to get access to the most streaming options available.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:24 PM   #13
lickwid

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcut3d View Post
Plex or XBMC or any DLNA streaming app. It would be nice to stream directly from my NAS and have rich metadata displayed. PyTivo did not get me to retire my XBMC Intel NUC.
If my Samsung Smart TV can get Plex and HBO Go, I don't see why TiVo can't.
lickwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:50 PM   #14
innocentfreak

Personally I am hoping for support for things like Trakt.TV so I don't have to manually try to keep track of what episodes I have watched and deleted. I would also love to see documented tricks and features PyTiVo and KMTTG can access.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

The same ones who put their apps on Roku alongside Plex?

Of course if TiVo ever releases a new TiVo Desktop they could build a version features like Plex offers into it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:31 PM   #15
mburnno

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Of course if TiVo ever releases a new TiVo Desktop they could build a version features like Plex offers into it.
I would not hold my breath on that one. It would be nice if Tivo did this to give the users the option to watch TV on their desktop, kind of what a slingBox does now. I could live with being able to stream TV to my computer screen. As it stands now the Tivo desktop is really useless for what it can do.
mburnno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:54 PM   #16
BigJimOutlaw

Tivo's App store is based on the Opera TV Store, which is supported on a number of 2012 and 2013 Sony Bravia TVs and some Sony blu-ray players evidently, but not much else.

If anyone has a Sony device with the Opera TV Store and can share what kind of stuff is there, that's pretty much what we can expect. My understanding is that it's a fairly underwhelming selection. There's a distinct lack of online detail, other than Vimeo, Facebook, a movie trailer app, weather, and a lot of casual games...

There will probably just be more waiting and hoping for any major players, sadly. I kinda gave up waiting and got a Roku.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 10-18-2013 at 06:29 PM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:31 PM   #17
Philmatic

Plex
Philmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:00 PM   #18
isilv

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
If anyone has a Sony device with the Opera TV Store and can share what kind of stuff is there, that's pretty much what we can expect. My understanding is that it's a fairly underwhelming selection. There's a distinct lack of online detail, other than Vimeo, Facebook, a movie trailer app, weather, and a lot of
Don't own one but here's the list on sony's website, its not much at all
https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answer...a%20tv%20store
isilv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:26 PM   #19
apw2607

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
Tivo's App store is based on the Opera TV Store, which is supported on a number of 2012 and 2013 Sony Bravia TVs and some Sony blu-ray players evidently, but not much else.

If anyone has a Sony device with the Opera TV Store and can share what kind of stuff is there, that's pretty much what we can expect. My understanding is that it's a fairly underwhelming selection. There's a distinct lack of online detail, other than Vimeo, Facebook, a movie trailer app, weather, and a lot of casual games...

There will probably just be more waiting and hoping for any major players, sadly. I kinda gave up waiting and got a Roku.
I own one and have used the opera tv store. 99% of the apps on there are complete junk. There's a few on there that are not too bad ... Red Bull tv, NHK TV, LandscapeHD and AP News.
apw2607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:27 PM   #20
apw2607

Quote:
Originally Posted by isilv View Post
Don't own one but here's the list on sony's website, its not much at all
https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answer...a%20tv%20store
This list isn't current. There's well over 60+ apps available
Old 10-18-2013, 11:31 PM   #21
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
The same ones who put their apps on Roku alongside Plex?
Roku doesn't do cable, doesn't do cable cards, and doesn't do SDV. For TiVo to do those things, they have to allow themselves to be bullied by the cable industry.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:31 PM   #22
apw2607

Generally speaking. I think tivo really now need to step up their app support. The tv ad they run where they claim tivo can take the place of your cable box, Apple TV, roku, etc is misleading.

Tivos app support currently is pathetic. Sorry Margret and team. But it is, and samsung have tivo in their sights ...

http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/17/n...art-cable-box/

http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/view?id=7022415501

Although the SSMP has no local DVR capability, who's to say they don't offer a cloud based service that the boxee box tried to provide.

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2013-09/...ome-boxee-dvr/

Last edited by apw2607 : 10-18-2013 at 11:38 PM.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:26 AM   #23
TimA

Wow, everyone has high expectations for the App Store - I bet we'll see stuff like Candy Crush.
TimA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:45 AM   #24
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimA View Post
Wow, everyone has high expectations for the App Store - I bet we'll see stuff like Candy Crush.
I am not optimistic about it either.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:14 AM   #25
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
I'll admit I don't know how this works - what can the cable industry do to stop them from having a local streaming app? Are we talking just straight bullying here? Surely it's not illegal in and of itself, though it could be used to watch illegal downloads. But you could say that about the tivo now, too. I thought this was settled back in the vcr days, in favor of consumers.
The cable industry doesn't have to bully TiVo. TiVo will ultimately do whatever the cable industry wants because they don't want to jeopardize current and future partnerships.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:44 AM   #26
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
The cable industry doesn't have to bully TiVo. TiVo will ultimately do whatever the cable industry wants because they don't want to jeopardize current and future partnerships.
TiVo isn't going to develop any of these apps - although, I am sure they will have an approval process. These apps will be developed by third party developers...

So, I guess the real question is: what app are you planning on developing?

I am waiting to see what kind of API's are available. Do we have Search and Video playback API's???
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 10-19-2013, 10:00 AM   #27
hooper

My samsung tv has every app I need except WatchESPN. They added Vevo last week. Damn Disney and their cozy relationship with MSFT and Apple. WatchESPN is great because you get all the college basketball and football games that aren't airing locally, plus the ability to watch games after they aired. I use it on the xbox but it requires a stupid gold subscription.
hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:25 AM   #28
anthonymoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
Generally speaking. I think tivo really now need to step up their app support. The tv ad they run where they claim tivo can take the place of your cable box, Apple TV, roku, etc is misleading.

Tivos app support currently is pathetic. Sorry Margret and team. But it is, and samsung have tivo in their sights ...

http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/17/n...art-cable-box/

http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/view?id=7022415501

Although the SSMP has no local DVR capability, who's to say they don't offer a cloud based service that the boxee box tried to provide.

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2013-09/...ome-boxee-dvr/

It was this Samsung box that prompted my thinking, which in turn prompted my OP. No DVR as you said but a cloud DVR is certainly possible. And, given Samsungs broader product lines you could easily imagine them ultimately dropping a bluray drive into it. Then you really do have a one box possibility (unless you're a big iTunes household in which case you'll likely always also need an ATV).

Edit: I know that the one box world I posit doesn't likely include plex or xbmc but I've always considered those things to be sort of fringe. Perhaps incredibly useful but adopted by no more than an extremely small % of people. No insult intended.
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:35 AM   #29
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
what can the cable industry do to stop them from having a local streaming app? Are we talking just straight bullying here?
Yes. And they are good at it. They can yank cable card support, which is the ultimate threat. And cable companies can make support a nightmare for your non-cable-company equipment. Cable companies *tolerate* but dislike TiVo. They want you to use THEIR OWN equipment, something they can completely control, not something you own.

As far as fighting non-cable-TV, they already want to restrict IP traffic that competes with their own services. And since the cable TV companies are typically the monopoly that is also your sole reasonable ISP choice, they have a lot of power to control rate/flow AND price. They are also in a position, as an industry, to put tons of pressure on content creators.

We created this monster.
It is becoming an obsolete model.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want everything to be streaming- there are lots of issues. I would much rather just TRANSFER content straight to my DVR via IP, on demand, where it is stored temporarily, and play it locally how I choose. But I don't see why this requires me paying for hundreds of channels of simultaneous content I don't want.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:47 PM   #30
bradleys
It'll be fine....

I don't think it is nearly that nepharious.

Yes, the cable companies are all about maximizing profit. And the content owners are very aggressive in protecting their content. But I don't think they really care what cable box you choose to use at this point.

And as I said, tivo has been able to play local content for time in memorial. Specific cable companies may decide to exclude features or apps from their MSO supplied TiVo's, but they don't give a flying leap what the retail units offer.

Just as the MSO units cannot allow Netflix based on contracts with content owners - that restriction has no impact on retail TiVo's

- sorry for any typo's, this was from my phone.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)