TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-12-2016, 06:13 PM   #1
kokishin

Universal Remote for Roamio Pro and Other Devices?

Looking for recommendations for a universal remote that can control a Roamio Pro in RF mode as well as IR control a:
Denon 6200 AVR
Panasonic Blu-ray player
Panasonic TV
Pioneer Elite DVD/SACD/DVD-Audio player
Amazon Fire TV Stick
Future UHD player

If it's easier or more cost effective to get a universal remote that can control the Tivo in IR mode, I'm interested.

TIA

Last edited by kokishin; 07-12-2016 at 10:50 PM.
kokishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:39 PM   #2
mdavej

Doesn't exist. You'll have to use IR with TiVo.

Only harmony hub based remotes can control Fire Stick. Check out the Elite.

mdavej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:26 PM   #3
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Its only the Tivo remote that has RF or IR mode. The Tivo itself receives both at the same time.

You can have a roamio remote in RF mode and another is only IR. Press a few buttons on the RF, then the IR and back. Tivo receives its commands normally.

Juliet Basic (4XL, PLS)
(OTA)

~~~~~

No Amazon Prime? Join
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to start streaming on Roamio/Bolt!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:57 PM   #4
kokishin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Its only the Tivo remote that has RF or IR mode. The Tivo itself receives both at the same time.

You can have a roamio remote in RF mode and another is only IR. Press a few buttons on the RF, then the IR and back. Tivo receives its commands normally.
Very good input. Thanks.

Unfortunately, the Fire TV stick uses a BT remote. That is why mdavej recommended the Harmony hub based remotes such as the $300 (Amazon) Harmony Elite which can support both BT and IR. Naturally, The Elite is not a Prime Day deal today. I did get the Fire TV stick for $25 today on a Prime Day deal.

Old 07-13-2016, 01:21 AM   #5
mweitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post
Looking for recommendations for a universal remote that can control a Roamio Pro in RF mode as well as IR control a:
Denon 6200 AVR
Panasonic Blu-ray player
Panasonic TV
Pioneer Elite DVD/SACD/DVD-Audio player
Amazon Fire TV Stick
Future UHD player

If it's easier or more cost effective to get a universal remote that can control the Tivo in IR mode, I'm interested.

TIA
I'm using a Harmony Ultimate Remote- It works with Bluetooth, RF and IR Devices.

Here is my list of devices:

Yamaha AVR
Panasonic Blu-ray player
Panasonic TV
Xbox 360
Xbox One
Wii
Wii U
Tivo Roamio Pro
2x Sonos 5 Players

mweitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 05:23 AM   #6
DEC2955

I can also recommend a 'Harmony' remote(s).
If you get one of the HUBS you can use it with "BLUE TOOTH" + "RF" + "IR" devices.
If you don't mind getting "Factory Refurbished" check out "GROUPON.COM" as they are about 30% less than new. Also with the "HUB" you can use your cell phone or tablet as the remote. I picked up a TRACFONE, Low end Android phone, as a remote and picked up from my local "Dollar Tree" a MicoUSB charging stand which has been working just fine. But if you want buttons and not just a touch screen you can get a five device remote to work with the HUB.

DEC2955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:06 AM   #7
jayerndl

Quote:
Very good input. Thanks.

Unfortunately, the Fire TV stick uses a BT remote. That is why mdavej recommended the Harmony hub based remotes such as the $300 (Amazon) Harmony Elite which can support both BT and IR. Naturally, The Elite is not a Prime Day deal today. I did get the Fire TV stick for $25 today on a Prime Day deal.
Amazon has this hub based remote new for $92. It should control all your equipment, but the Tivo will be controlled by IR. You can also use your smartphone as a remote. The biggest downside I see is that it is not backlit.

Jay

jayerndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:56 AM   #8
chiguy50

Quote:
Very good input. Thanks.

Rich,

If you're looking for a low-cost IR-only solution, I can recommend the Sony RM-VLZ620 programmable universal remote. I've been using it for years and it works well for my Denon AVR, TiVo, Blu-Ray, TV, et al (up to eight components).

You can pick one up new for around $15 to $20 (e.g., on Amazon or eBay) or used/open-box/reconditioned for even less. I keep a couple in reserve as mine see a lot of daily use (and the cats like to knock them on the floor, adding to the punishment they receive ).

chiguy50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:04 PM   #9
mdavej

If you can indeed live with IR only (use the Amazon remote for the stick), then another great option is the Nevo C2 ($16 on ebay). While the recommended Sony is a fine remote, the Nevo is in an entirely different league as it originally sold for $150 and has capabilities to match, far surpassing the Sony and similar models of that class:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/inde...o#Introduction

There isn't a more powerful remote for the money available today. The experts in the JP1 forums know these remotes inside and out and wrote the programming software for them. So we can provide far more support for this amazing remote that any other maker would provide for theirs.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/vi...=14804&start=0

Sounds like you probably have no interest in spending $200 and up on a remote. If so, Nevo is by far the best value you are going to find.

I know I sound like a shill, but I have no financial interest in these, just many years of use and development. I'm just a huge fan of them.

I also have a nice set of Tivo icons for them (Tivo guy, thumbs, etc.) as well as many discrete commands that don't exist on Tivo remotes (discrete captions on, off, standby, stop, etc.). You can't do that sort of thing with lesser remotes.

My main Nevo controls about a dozen devices, including my home automation system for several years (until I removed it).

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I've also built several Denon devices for this remote with every possible command for every zone (about 400 in all). I've also built custom Panasonic disc player devices that include discretes and multiple device addresses (at one point I had 3 Panasonics in my rack).

EDIT2: If you had taken advantage of the $69 Fire TV (not stick) deal, then you could have indeed controlled it via IR with the addition of an FLIRC dongle. That's what I do in one of my systems.

Last edited by mdavej; 07-13-2016 at 12:19 PM.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:41 PM   #10
kokishin

@mdavej @ThAbtO @mweitz @DEC2955 @jayerndl @chiguy50,

Thanks for your inputs. All are appreciated. The more I dive into this, the more frustrated I feel. Here are some additional thoughts since my OP:

I currently use a Tivo Slide Remote to control my Roamio Pro. I bought the Slide Remote because the integrated keyboard is handy for searching for titles, actors, sporting events, keywords, etc. for the Tivo guide, XOD, and Amazon (Prime) Instant Video

Although I haven't received my Fire TV Stick, I realize that it would be useful to have a keyboard for it as well. Amazon sells a BT keyboard that is designed to work with Fire TV Stick: https://www.amazon.com/iPazzPort-blu...Stick+keyboard

Based on my desire for a keyboard for the Roamio Pro and the Fire TV Stick, Is there is a universal remote solution that has a keyboard that does both IR & BT? Does Harmony have something?

I also discovered that Fire TV Stick has integrated IP Control. Is there a universal remote solution that offers IR and IP Control (in lieu of BT)?

I guess the easiest and most cost effective solution would be to get a cheap IR universal remote to control my Panasonic plasma TV, Panasonic BD player, Pioneer Elite DVD/SACD/DVD-A player, and Denon 6200 AVR, and continue to use the Slide Remote and the Fire TV Stick BT remote (with the attachable BT keyboard). Then I would be down to three remotes.

Old 07-13-2016, 06:57 PM   #11
mdavej

You're going in the direction of iRule now.

Another option for fire stick control is HDMI-CEC. Works for the basic commands, but not quite everything, certainly not qwerty.

Harmony hub remotes do BT but I'm not sure how well qwerty would work, if at all.

Personally I think you're asking too much of the stick. Fire TV forums would have better advice than a TiVo forum anyway.

With your desire for keyboard entry, Chromecast would be much easier and cheaper than Fire TV.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:31 PM   #12
kokishin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
You're going in the direction of iRule now.

Another option for fire stick control is HDMI-CEC. Works for the basic commands, but not quite everything, certainly not qwerty.

Harmony hub remotes do BT but I'm not sure how well qwerty would work, if at all.

Personally I think you're asking too much of the stick. Fire TV forums would have better advice than a TiVo forum anyway.

With your desire for keyboard entry, Chromecast would be much easier and cheaper than Fire TV.
Understood. I started with this forum because I thought the Roamio Pro would be the gating item but it seems to be the Fire TV Stick. After I install my Fire TV Stick, I'll go deal with the Fire TV forums.

I purchased the Fire TV Stick mostly because I want to stream Amazon Prime Music through my HT. I don't like tying up my cell phone (using their Android app) to do this. Of course, I'll check out other streaming apps but I'll most likely continue to use my Roamio Pro to stream Amazon (Prime) Instant Video because it works well and I have a wired LAN connection to my Roamio Pro.

BTW, I have the original Chromecast and I very rarely use it.

Old 07-14-2016, 12:37 AM   #13
HarperVision
TiVo's Italian Cuz!

This is what you need. You can add the $29 remote to it too. I have one of these (I may be interested in selling mine) and contrary to what others are saying here, the hub does IR, BT and IP/WiFi control so it will work with your FireTV and the Roamio using IP.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-915-...y+hub+keyboard

HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 02:32 AM   #14
kokishin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
This is what you need. You can add the $29 remote to it too. I have one of these (I may be interested in selling mine) and contrary to what others are saying here, the hub does IR, BT and IP/WiFi control so it will work with your FireTV and the Roamio using IP.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-915-...y+hub+keyboard
Dave,

This looks promising. I'll check it out further in the morning.

Thanks!

Old 07-14-2016, 02:39 AM   #15
Chris Gerhard

The Harmony Smart Keyboard linked above by Dave wasn't well received. It is available with hub refurbished for $45 now. No backlighting is a common complaint.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172253863340...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The Ultimate Hub add-on is also available refurbished, $20, again no backlighting.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Logitech-Har...oAAOSwRQlXfAQ7

If you prefer to use the LCD screen Harmony Ultimate, then the add-on keyboard is available refurbished.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Logitech-Har...sAAOSw~FNUaFJB

I know some like the more expensive Harmony Elite hub based remote which should work. My personal preference, I like the Harmony Smart Keyboard, the older Harmony 900, One, and 700 remotes and Logitech K700 and with 3 systems and about 3 dozen devices connected those are what I use.

Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 07-14-2016, 08:05 AM   #16
mdavej

Are you sure the Smart Keyboard works with a Fire Stick? I thought compatible devices needed a USB port.

Only hub based remotes will control the stick (not 900, 700, etc.).

I totally forgot about TiVo IP control. I got hung up on RF. I didn't realize harmony hub worked with it.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:40 AM   #17
Chris Gerhard

Quote:
Are you sure the Smart Keyboard works with a Fire Stick? I thought compatible devices needed a USB port.

Only hub based remotes will control the stick (not 900, 700, etc.).

I totally forgot about TiVo IP control. I got hung up on RF. I didn't realize harmony hub worked with it.
It communicates by Bluetooth with my Fire TV box, I would assume the same for the Fire TV Stick. I use the USB receiver for TiVo and a Windows PC.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:32 AM   #18
mdavej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
It communicates by Bluetooth with my Fire TV box, I would assume the same for the Fire TV Stick. I use the USB receiver for TiVo and a Windows PC.
Yes, BT to the Stick or box for nav control (up/down/left/right play/ffwd/etc.) is expected. You're confirming qwerty also works from the keyboard to the Fire TV box?

EDIT: I just picked up a couple of these for $6 each shipped (or $5 on Rakuten) which should work fine as well:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/ULAK-Wirel...-Prod/49140396

(Just happens to be made for Kindle but should work with any BT device)

Nice keys and full set of playback controls as well. Great reviews and price on Amazon too.

Last edited by mdavej; 07-14-2016 at 11:33 AM.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:30 AM   #19
Chris Gerhard

Quote:
Yes, BT to the Stick or box for nav control (up/down/left/right play/ffwd/etc.) is expected. You're confirming qwerty also works from the keyboard to the Fire TV box?
Yes, select search and you are directed to the search screen, type rather than move about with the cursor.

Old 07-14-2016, 03:25 PM   #20
kokishin

Quote:
The Harmony Smart Keyboard linked above by Dave wasn't well received. It is available with hub refurbished for $45 now. No backlighting is a common complaint.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172253863340...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The Ultimate Hub add-on is also available refurbished, $20, again no backlighting.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Logitech-Har...oAAOSwRQlXfAQ7

If you prefer to use the LCD screen Harmony Ultimate, then the add-on keyboard is available refurbished.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Logitech-Har...sAAOSw~FNUaFJB

I know some like the more expensive Harmony Elite hub based remote which should work. My personal preference, I like the Harmony Smart Keyboard, the older Harmony 900, One, and 700 remotes and Logitech K700 and with 3 systems and about 3 dozen devices connected those are what I use.
Chris,

Thanks for the info. I'm researching your recommendations. Probably have a few questions later. Again, thanks.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:01 PM   #21
kokishin

I installed the Amazon Fire Stick into a backside HDMI input on my Denon 6200. It paired up with it's petite BT remote easily. It connected to my router on a 5GHz 802.11n channel with no issues. I tried a few Prime videos and no issues. The videos were encoded 5.1 DD+ and the 6200 handled it as expected. Video looked fine and seemed to stream effortlessly.

Switched over to playing some tunes via Amazon Prime Music and all those are in stereo (although I used the 6200's DTS Neural:X upmixer at times). The Fire TV Music app is not as fleshed out as the Android app on my cell phone. My biggest gripe is that there is no way to find a (free) Prime album with the Fire TV app. I have to use the cell phone app to find it and then add it to my music library. Eventually the album shows up on the Fire TV Music screen but it seems to take a while unless I force the Fire TV Stick to sync (under Settings). I spoke with three different support folks at Amazon about this. The 3rd support person was a peach and she has escalated the issue to the Fire TV team to investigate. Anyway, I'm generally impressed with the Fire TV Stick so far, especially for what I paid for it.

Back to the search for the Holy Grail of a universal remote solution. Tonight, I'm gonna take a momentary break and enjoy listening to tunes with Mrs K. It's a good thing I have a side table next to the sofa to hold all the remotes though.

Last edited by kokishin; 07-15-2016 at 11:20 AM.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:36 AM   #22
HarperVision
TiVo's Italian Cuz!

FYI, I redid my Harmony Hub with keyboard today on the iOS app and it does indeed control the FireTV using BT and it also pairs the keyboard using BT, with the option of USB as well. It also controlled my Bolt with no issues.

This seems like a great solution, especially with the phone app to use as a universal remote. Maybe you can use an old iPhone or iPod with this as a Universal Remote with the option to use the keyboard when needed and to get the remote that's compatible as well?

Old 07-17-2016, 02:11 PM   #23
kokishin

Quote:
Hi Chris,

Which Logitech USB receiver are you using for the Tivo?

Just so I understand correctly, the Harmony Hub communicates with the USB receiver plugged into the back of the Roamio using IP commands to control the Roamio?

If so, do I have to enable any options on the Roamio to support IP control via the USB receiver?

Thanks

Last edited by kokishin; 07-17-2016 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-17-2016, 02:46 PM   #24
HarperVision
TiVo's Italian Cuz!

Quote:
Hi Chris, Which Logitech USB receiver are you using for the Tivo? Just so I understand correctly, the Harmony Hub communicates with the USB receiver plugged into the back of the Roamio using IP commands to control the Roamio? If so, do I have to enable any options on the Roamio to support IP control via the USB receiver? Thanks
No, both the hub (wifi) and the Roamio (wired Ethernet or moca) are connected to Ethernet via your home network and the signals go from the remote to the hub, which translates it to an IP signal through your network to the Roamio.

Old 07-17-2016, 03:24 PM   #25
kokishin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
No, both the hub (wifi) and the Roamio (wired Ethernet or moca) are connected to Ethernet via your home network and the signals go from the remote to the hub, which translates it to an IP signal through your network to the Roamio.
Dave,

Thanks for clearing that up for me. You're using the iOS app as your remote. FWIW, I have an Android Galaxy S5 but would prefer not to use the Galaxy S5 as my normal remote.

Can I use the Harmony Elite remote and a Logitech BT key board to control the Hub to send the IP control signal to the Roamio over my home LAN?

BTW, which island do you live on? (Maui is my favorite).

Old 07-17-2016, 03:30 PM   #26
HarperVision
TiVo's Italian Cuz!

Quote:
Dave,

Thanks for clearing that up for me. You're using the iOS app as your remote. FWIW, I have an Android Galaxy S5 but would prefer not to use the Galaxy S5 as my normal remote.

Can I use the Harmony Elite remote and a Logitech BT key board to control the Hub to send the IP control signal to the Roamio over my home LAN?

BTW, which island do you live on? (Maui is my favorite).
Yes I'm using iOS on my iPhone and the BT keyboard. I don't really use it as much as I thought I would, simply because I think I'm more of an original remote kinda guy. I got a great deal on the keyboard/hub bundle so I hopped on it to play with it, like I do for a lot of tech gadgets.

You should be able to use any of he hub based harmony remotes if I'm not mistaken, but I'll admit that I haven't researched that enough. I know the $29 remote I linked earlier is compatible because I've toyed with the idea of getting one many times. The keyboard is of course compatible as its bundled with the hub in the package I got. They both instruct the hub to transcode and send the IP signals through your network to the Roamio.

I'm on the Big Island of Hawaii.

Old 07-17-2016, 04:27 PM   #27
Chris Gerhard

Quote:
Hi Chris,

Which Logitech USB receiver are you using for the Tivo?

Just so I understand correctly, the Harmony Hub communicates with the USB receiver plugged into the back of the Roamio using IP commands to control the Roamio?

If so, do I have to enable any options on the Roamio to support IP control via the USB receiver?

Thanks
The USB receivers come with the Harmony Ultimate Remote with Hub or Harmony Smart Keyboard with Hub, linked above. I will let others discuss IP remote control.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:17 AM   #28
mdavej

My cheapo BT keyboards arrived and are working great with the Fire stick as expected. They control just about everything, and qwerty works with many, but not all apps. The weather app I use isn't keyboard aware, for example.

I'll probably pull out the keyboard occasionally. But it's less hassle for me to just use my $16 universal remote for everything and put up with the on-screen keyboard (or use my phone). Luckily all my TVs support HDMI-CEC control of the stick, so no hubs or BT control is required.

Good to know Harmony hub and smart keyboard work well.

OP, please let us know what you end up doing.

Old 07-18-2016, 10:22 AM   #29
kokishin

Quote:
My cheapo BT keyboards arrived and are working great with the Fire stick as expected. They control just about everything, and qwerty works with many, but not all apps. The weather app I use isn't keyboard aware, for example.

I'll probably pull out the keyboard occasionally. But it's less hassle for me to just use my $16 universal remote for everything and put up with the on-screen keyboard (or use my phone). Luckily all my TVs support HDMI-CEC control of the stick, so no hubs or BT control is required.

Good to know Harmony hub and smart keyboard work well.

OP, please let us know what you end up doing.
An avsforum member suggested using "Alexa" capability which I tried very briefly (to see the weather in Tokyo) with my Galaxy S5: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-net...l#post45397361

Old 07-18-2016, 10:58 AM   #30
mdavej

Quote:
An avsforum member suggested using "Alexa" capability which I tried very briefly (to see the weather in Tokyo) with my Galaxy S5: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-net...l#post45397361
Yes, I tried that on my phone the other day too. Didn't work very well for me. Maybe it's my accent. I've never been very enamored with voice control. Until its close to 100% accurate, typing is still better/faster.