TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-26-2014, 04:20 PM   #1
the_Skywise

Suggestions being auto-deleted?

I've got a 4 tuner Tivo Roamio with the suggestions turned on. I noticed today that the TiVo was recording a movie for a suggestion which sounded interesting. I checked back about half an hour later and the Tivo had started recording another movie for a suggestion but the first movie was no where to be found in the suggestion list. I was watching live TV the entire time so it didn't reboot. I checked back again less than an hour later and now the second movie was no longer recording (and not in the suggestion list) and TiVo was off recording a third movie.

They're just suggestions and I've got plenty of other recordings there so it's not a major issue but... has anyone else seen this behavior?
the_Skywise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 04:45 PM   #2
jrtroo
User

Your box thinks you are low on space. Suggestions are deleted for space constraints, even if the free space indicator shows room.

Do you use KUID extensively? Is your deleted folder empty? What does the recording history say?

Also, if you need to add a more space, it is super simple. Just replace the hard drive and you get the space, but if you want to save the recordings you would need to save them off.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:38 PM   #3
the_Skywise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Your box thinks you are low on space. Suggestions are deleted for space constraints, even if the free space indicator shows room.

Do you use KUID extensively? Is your deleted folder empty? What does the recording history say?

Also, if you need to add a more space, it is super simple. Just replace the hard drive and you get the space, but if you want to save the recordings you would need to save them off.
Don't think its that - my TiVo says its 60% full. I'd understand if it were deleting older files. This seems to be deleting files as soon as they're recorded or aborting them halfway through.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:57 PM   #4
59er
TiVotee

You should definitely consider whether you use KUID a lot, because that causes some seriously odd deletion behavior for your other non-KUID recordings (esp. suggestions).
59er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 03:34 AM   #5
the_Skywise

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59er View Post
You should definitely consider whether you use KUID a lot, because that causes some seriously odd deletion behavior for your other non-KUID recordings (esp. suggestions).
Just checked - I have nothing set to KUID.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:16 AM   #6
jrtroo
User

Try rebooting the box and then answering my other questions from above. The 60% is what is actually recorded, but it deletes programs to make room for more.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:21 PM   #7
the_Skywise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Try rebooting the box and then answering my other questions from above. The 60% is what is actually recorded, but it deletes programs to make room for more.
Quote:
No.
Yes.
Everything recording normally for normal programs.
105 HD hours free.
Already updated my HD with ~300 HD hours max.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:48 PM   #8
HomeUser

Was the suggestion recording on a premium channel like HBO? A channel that you may not receive? The DVR tries to record the entire movie, because there was nothing recorded the empty recording is removed.

Check recording history on the Roamio "Manage Recordings & Downloads" -> "History" I'm not sure if failed suggestions show up there it's worth a try.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:58 PM   #9
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Does anyone know how much (as a percentage) must be used before recordings start to expire and delete? My Roamio Pro is pushing 90% full and I haven't seen any delete.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:36 AM   #10
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
Does anyone know how much (as a percentage) must be used before recordings start to expire and delete? My Roamio Pro is pushing 90% full and I haven't seen any delete.
Short answer: Sounds like you are in good shape, and could see 99% before recordings get deleted.

There seems to be some variables with this, beyond the obvious ones that come up with every discussion on the subject.

Some are having (non suggestion) recordings deleted at 60% of capacity, like as if there are invisible (not in the My Shows list or Recently Deleted) recordings on the drive, which somehow can't have their space reclaimed for recording.

I used to use KUID for syndicated re-runs on SD channels, of my favorite programs, not wanting to be at the mercy of Netflix and/or Hulu dropping them from being available. I fixed the SPs, used KMTG to delete all recordings, then restored them back to clear the KUID designation on each and every one. This KUID-clearing "fix" would survive reboots, kickstarts, time, etc.

Yet, if I run Clear Program Information & To Do List, the KUID designations are restored. This leads me to believe that even when they show not KUID, they still are, thus above 60% capacity on a 3TB drive, is the "danger zone" for losing recordings in scenarios like this, as my example.

I've tried all the kickstarts, and tested the drives. It has to be a TiVo software issue, for what I am seeing, in my case.

As for your case, it sounds like you are free of this issue, and the TiVo will only delete when needed. Things should not delete before the TiVo is about to need the space.

I'm not getting (understanding it to be true) when people who say that TiVo deletes way ahead of time, just because upcoming recordings are scheduled. Some make it sound like as if TiVo will delete days or weeks ahead. At most, TTBOMK, all this should do is change the blue dots to yellow, for some older recordings, and change to yellow ( ! ), for those calculated to be the first to go. Even that, is not usually the imminent deletion the extended info makes it out to be when it says "This will be deleted in...". I've seen those stick around for up to a month (on non KUID-corrupted TiVos), and they can often be restored to blue by a simple reboot...

I don't use suggestions. It's my understanding that Recently Deleted should clear first, followed by suggestions, then the oldest recordings in ascending order. Using vague Auto Recording Wish List SPs, could schedule an excessive amount of future recordings, hastening the color coding changes, but still should not delete them until right before the space is actually needed for the actual process of recording.