TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-13-2015, 12:51 PM   #1
TheBar1
Long Time Lurker

Thumbs up Plex executive says Plex is coming to TiVo starting June 8th

Good news, I think:

http://www.fierceonlinevideo.com/sto...ops/2015-05-13

Still unclear how this integration will work. If it's part of the OperaTV Store, I'm wondering if the app will only work for PlexPass Premium subscribers, as is the case for that OperaTV app on my Sony blu-ray player. PlexPass comes in Monthly ($4.99), Annual ($39.99) and Lifetime ($149.99) subscription models. The price tag for Lifetime seems a bit steep to me.

~-~-~-~-
Sony SAT-60 DirecTiVo [4/2001 - 5/2004]
Philips DSR-708 DirecTiVo [5/2004 - 8/2007]
TiVo HD [2/2008 - 3/2015]
TiVo Roamio Plus [3/2015 - Present]
TheBar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 01:16 PM   #2
moyekj

The fact it requires PlexPass will likely limit the audience it will get - I won't be looking at it because of that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 01:20 PM   #3
tallmomof2

I use Plex through Amazon Fire and this will put all my apps on one device. Plex works on a ton of different platforms and devices so the subscription fee is worth it to me.

tallmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 01:20 PM   #4
shupp872

Plexpass is typically only required on products in the "beta" phase, similar to the Xbox One app. Once they finalize the app and fully release it, it may no longer require the Plexpass.

I am more curious about what codecs, containers, and bitrates the TiVo will be able to handle...

shupp872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 02:02 PM   #5
HarperVision

......and if you can install channels like TiVoToGo!

HarperVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 02:15 PM   #6
b-ball-fanatic

Knowing it's going to be an Opera app still makes it hard for me to get excited about this.....

For a long time, Netflix et all were "available" on my TiVos, but they were so clunky and slow that it was just a much better experience to use them on other devices. It took years before TiVo's implementation caught up. The "Opera experience" on the TiVo is kind of a joke, so I fear that the Plex app (at least at first) may have similar "fit & finish" to those early streaming services. I.e., virtual unusability....

b-ball-fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 02:22 PM   #7
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
I anxiously await seeing how well it's integrated and how well it functions. Next, if we can just get Acorn TV, either directly on the TiVo or maybe through a Plex application, then I'm all set; and TiVo finally can be a "one box solution" for me.

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 02:25 PM   #8
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
Still need HOB Go/Now and Showtime Anytime to be the complete "one box" for me.

Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 02:28 PM   #9
csell

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-ball-fanatic View Post
Knowing it's going to be an Opera app still makes it hard for me to get excited about this.....
Maybe it will just be an Opera app, but you say that as if its a fact. Has that been said as a fact? How its integrated is still an unknown.

csell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 02:28 PM   #10
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
And the killer of all killer apps/services..............NFL Sunday Ticket!!!!!!

HarperVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 05-13-2015, 02:29 PM   #11
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
You may choose or prefer not to, but don't you at least have the option to get them via your cable company?

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 05-13-2015, 02:46 PM   #12
b-ball-fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by csell View Post
Maybe it will just be an Opera app, but you say that as if its a fact. Has that been said as a fact? How its integrated is still an unknown.
That's true....we haven't seen it yet. Those more knowledgeable than me seem to have been saying that for awhile, though, so I took it to be true. (The "insiders" usually seem to be right somehow.)

I'd be thrilled if all that's incorrect! If it's implemented as another option in the VOD list, I'll have much higher hopes and expectations for it!

Old 05-13-2015, 02:48 PM   #13
confinoj

Quote:
Originally Posted by csell View Post
Agreed. The assumption has been that it is Opera based as there has been recent development of Plex's Opera app and Tivo has Opera but we really do not know for sure. Seems like Plex is directly working with Tivo so keeping my fingers crossed for a native app.

Old 05-13-2015, 02:54 PM   #14
csell

Quote:
Originally Posted by confinoj View Post
Agreed. The assumption has been that it is Opera based as there has been recent development of Plex's Opera app and Tivo has Opera but we really do not know for sure. Seems like Plex is directly working with Tivo so keeping my fingers crossed for a native app.
My thinking is that its more than just an Opera app as Plex already has that and what is the delay? It just seems like its more of a Tivo release / update then just the app being added to the store. New apps are being added every day without a new release of Tivo being required.

Old 05-13-2015, 02:54 PM   #15
b-ball-fanatic

Thanks For This Post:
Old 05-13-2015, 02:56 PM   #16
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
You may choose or prefer not to, but don't you at least have the option to get them via your cable company?
I have access to them, but not on TiVo. I can record the shows from the live channels, but there are cases where I want to rewatch an old show or catch up on a show I missed. For example I've used HBOGo to catch up on Game of Thrones because I didn't hear about it until part way through season 1. And my wife just started watching Penny Dreadful on Showtime Anytime because she missed season 1. In both cases I have to use my Smart TV or FireTV Stick to watch these services because TiVo doesn't have them.

Old 05-13-2015, 02:58 PM   #17
jcthorne

If its a plex pass required application, I'd likely pony up for a one year sub in hopes that the Tivo portion will revert to a non paid app at some point.

I do hope it shows up as a top level video source like Amazon and Netflix and not burried in the menus. Opera or not.

Would be really cool if some sort of onepass integration could happen so that plex server item can wind up in the my shows list like other streaming sources.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 03:06 PM   #18
csell

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Would be really cool if some sort of onepass integration could happen so that plex server item can wind up in the my shows list like other streaming sources.
I'm hoping for something like this - which would be a pretty big deal. Right now, if its just an app, then its nothing special for those of us with Roku or Chromecast and can already use Plex. But integrating it with Tivo / OnePass would be very significant and very innovative.

Old 05-13-2015, 03:30 PM   #19
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-ball-fanatic View Post

For a long time, Netflix et all were "available" on my TiVos, but they were so clunky and slow that it was just a much better experience to use them on other devices. It took years before TiVo's implementation caught up. The "Opera experience" on the TiVo is kind of a joke, so I fear that the Plex app (at least at first) may have similar "fit & finish" to those early streaming services. I.e., virtual unusability....
Wherever the launch point is it's going to be running on the built in Opera browser, that's pretty much a guarantee if it's html based which I assume it will be. But the launch point doesn't have to be where most of the Opera apps are.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 04:01 PM   #20
NashGuy

Quote:
Yes, THIS! With the big moves by both HBO and Showtime to OTT services this year, and TiVo's resurgence among cord cutters, I'm really hopeful we'll see both appear on TiVo before year's end.

NashGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 05:10 PM   #21
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallmomof2 View Post
I use Plex through Amazon Fire and this will put all my apps on one device. Plex works on a ton of different platforms and devices so the subscription fee is worth it to me.
Why is there even a subscription fee? TiVo users should get a free subscription the way Moxi gave all their customers a free subscription to PlayOn.

JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 05:40 PM   #22
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashGuy View Post
Yes, THIS! With the big moves by both HBO and Showtime to OTT services this year, and TiVo's resurgence among cord cutters, I'm really hopeful we'll see both appear on TiVo before year's end.
I know they're in talks with HBO about getting HBO Now, after the Apple exclusive period ends. Not sure about Go though. And haven't heard anything about Showtime.

Old 05-13-2015, 05:52 PM   #23
NashGuy

Quote:
I know they're in talks with HBO about getting HBO Now, after the Apple exclusive period ends. Not sure about Go though. And haven't heard anything about Showtime.
I'm doubtful that TiVo would add HBO Now without adding HBO Go at the same time, given that the majority of TiVo users are cable subscribers. I think there's pent-up demand for HBO Go and there would be a lot of unhappy TiVo subscribers if the cord cutters got to "jump line" ahead of them to get HBO Now before cable subscribers could get HBO Go.

As for Showtime, all I know is that Les Moonves has stated that their OTT service will launch this year and that they are in talks with both traditional Showtime distributors (cableco's) as well as new companies, which I'm sure include Apple and Roku. Hopefully TiVo too. Based on comments I've read from David Nevins, I look for it to launch either just before the summer season kick-off in early July (Ray Donovan, Masters of Sex) or the fall season in early Oct. (Homeland, The Affair).

Old 05-13-2015, 06:06 PM   #24
mrizzo80

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashGuy View Post
I'm doubtful that TiVo would add HBO Now without adding HBO Go at the same time, given that the majority of TiVo users are cable subscribers. I think there's pent-up demand for HBO Go and there would be a lot of unhappy TiVo subscribers if the cord cutters got to "jump line" ahead of them to get HBO Now before cable subscribers could get HBO Go.

As for Showtime, all I know is that Les Moonves has stated that their OTT service will launch this year and that they are in talks with both traditional Showtime distributors (cableco's) as well as new companies, which I'm sure include Apple and Roku. Hopefully TiVo too. Based on comments I've read from David Nevins, I look for it to launch either just before the summer season kick-off in early July (Ray Donovan, Masters of Sex) or the fall season in early Oct. (Homeland, The Affair).
I don't own Showtime so I haven't followed this closely, but I know a couple months ago Moonves characterized it as coming "in the not too distance future". He could have used any number of more specific language: "a few months", "summer", "this fall", "late this year", etc.

On their earnings call last week he said it would launch "in the coming months". So he still isn't willing to commit to even a vague timeframe. I'd be surprised if it launches this year based on his vagueness.

EDIT: I would love to be wrong though. I'd love to binge watch some Showtime shows on TiVo.

mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:12 PM   #25
astrohip
Stuart F

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBar1 View Post
Not bad, off by a week...

[posted back on April 17th]
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I heard from a third party that Plex would be released in late May.

I will confess I have no idea what Plex is, don't know if I need it or want it, wouldn't know how to use it, yada yada. But I know a lot of people went nuts, like pitchforks after TiVo nuts, when it wasn't in this release.

So when I happened upon a comment in another forum from someone who should know, saying Plex in late May, I thought I'd pass it along.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:44 PM   #26
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
add espn3 to your list to complete my "one box".

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 11:23 PM   #27
NashGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrizzo80 View Post
I don't own Showtime so I haven't followed this closely, but I know a couple months ago Moonves characterized it as coming "in the not too distance future". He could have used any number of more specific language: "a few months", "summer", "this fall", "late this year", etc.

On their earnings call last week he said it would launch "in the coming months". So he still isn't willing to commit to even a vague timeframe. I'd be surprised if it launches this year based on his vagueness.

EDIT: I would love to be wrong though. I'd love to binge watch some Showtime shows on TiVo.
Yeah, comments by Moonves lately have been vague but still indicate "soon". Last Nov. he said it's "fairly definitively" coming in 2015.
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/str...ice-2015-34528

And here's Nevins saying "it's safe to say" it'll launch this summer or fall.
http://www.adweek.com/news/televisio...alanche-164023

I've had both Showtime and HBO in recent years and, while there's stuff I like on both, I tend to watch a lot more Showtime. So I'm really hopeful it comes to TiVo.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:01 AM   #28
Worf

Plex has changed the way their apps work.

The apps are free, and you can demo them. However, to unlock them, you either have a Plex Pass (login to unlock), or you pay a one-time fee of $5 to unlock the app on that device.

So no, you don't NEED the Plex pass (unless you want to do something that requires a plex pass) to use the app - you just need to register the app.

Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 01:06 AM   #29
confinoj

http://zatznotfunny.com/2015-05/plex...come-june-8th/

Some more info here maybe. Doesn't look good. Opera store but maybe top level item, limited to 720p, plex pass not required.

Thanks For This Post:
Old 05-15-2015, 08:04 AM   #30
jcthorne

The top level shortcut is positive. As is the no plex pass requirement.

720p limitation at launch will limit its usefulness to me. Not going to give up that much quality on a 120" screen for the ease of use. Zatz does say that 1080p is being worked for future update. But isn't the 720p limitation imposed by the opera browser in tivo?

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote