TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-29-2015, 05:53 PM   #1
zerdian1
Roamio PRO, Roamio,

Series 6 TiVo ULTRA UHDTV, UD

I believe we will be seeing a new series of DVRs from TiVo using the new UHDTV 4K format.
I suspect it will probably look similar to the Roamio.
It will probably only have 6 tuners.
I do not know if it will be a device with about 6TB internal storage.
they may use some of the RAID technology of the MEGA with its hot swapable drives and RAID guarantee not to lose any data or programs even in the presence of a failed disk or fatal disk error.

Had 2 Series One TiVos
Had 3 ReplayTVs
Worked on USA NASA Moon Landings
Retired Chief Scientist
zerdian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:46 PM   #2
mrizzo80

Welcome to the forums. Did you really work on the moon landings?

mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:18 AM   #3
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Tivo may choose to release a minor updated Roamio model that can support UHD from streaming providers some time in the future - but 4k from cable is still a very, very long time away.

I actually expect them to wait and see what happens with the mpeg4 conversions (providers may skip this codec) to ensure the future state is covered.

All that said - no, a new series tivo is still a long way out.

TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:03 PM   #4
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

LOL, 4K DVR for cable.

April Fools was a month ago, man.

slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 04-30-2015, 07:13 PM   #5
telemark

What's the controversy- There's a press release.
http://www.broadcom.com/press/release.php?id=s870350

Thanks For This Post:
Old 04-30-2015, 07:32 PM   #6
bradleys
It'll be fine....

I read that back in September... It doesn't change the fact that the only source for 4k content in the foreseeable future will be streaming providers.

I do see TiVo providing a minor series update with 4k capabilities, but once again the driver will be streaming services such as Netflix - not Linear cable or even broadcast TV.

I also suspsect this would be considered a minor update and still considered a Series 5 Roamio TiVo.

As for the other predictions, larger har drives are easy, but I don't suspect raid in anything but the Mega.

It actually wouldn't suprise me if the next Series TiVo was cloud based as opposed to self contained.

TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 04-30-2015, 07:40 PM   #7
b-ball-fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
It actually wouldn't suprise me if the next Series TiVo was cloud based as opposed to self contained.
Yeesh....Say it ain't so.

b-ball-fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:56 PM   #8
atmuscarella

Quote:
I read that back in September... It doesn't change the fact that the only source for 4k content in the foreseeable future will be streaming providers.
And every new 4K TV will have those service built in so why would someone buy a TiVo just to duplicate them. Next up is likely going to be 4K blu-ray and 4K from the satellite companies but right now TiVo can not play in the satellite market. Son unless TiVo is going to release a 4K DVR with built in 4K blu-ray what's the point, at least until we get closer to 4K cable or OTA?

Now if Netflix/Amazon/Vudu allowed 4K downloads to a TiVo that might be worth something to people buying a 4K TV with to slow or less reliable Internet access (I think I read somewhere you will need about a 20Mbps stream for high quality 4K).

R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:16 PM   #9
astrohip
Stuart F

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
It actually wouldn't surprise me if the next Series TiVo was cloud based as opposed to self contained.
Zero chance. Totally goes against the concept of a home DVR. And their customer base is not stupid, they know what they're buying. Sales would vanish.

Zero. Chance.

astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:52 PM   #10
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Zero chance. Totally goes against the concept of a home DVR. And their customer base is not stupid, they know what they're buying. Sales would vanish.

Zero. Chance.
I agree near zero chance. Where TiVo may find a home for a cloud DVR is with their MSO customers. There is allot of logic in a cable company moving their DVRs out of their customers homes and to the cloud.

R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 04-30-2015, 08:58 PM   #11
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Streaming services are never going to allow downloadable content - they are desperately trying to get away from distributed content to control piracy - no, that will never happen.

@astrohip - TiVo is trying to consolidate legacy cable with modern streaming services. More and more content is going to be delivered via IP mechanisms. TiVo absolutely will include the new 4k Broadcom ship to support these and future streaming services. And as I said, it will be a minor update.

Why would you guys think TiVo would give up on the streaming services they have spent so much energy trying to deliver? That makes no sense.

As for the DVR in the cloud, it won't be that long and all content will be streaming only - maybe, 10 or 15 years and we will be migrating in earnest to cloud based / stream based on demand content.

Believe it or not, you are living in the glory days of content... It won't continue forever.

TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 04-30-2015, 09:08 PM   #12
Mikeguy

Quote:

Zero. Chance.
You mean, from the company that just (secretly) got rid of the Downloads Manager and has been playing passive aggressive on that issue, forcing people to stream the downloaded content instead? That company wouldn't go stream?

I find that hard to see as well, but, just sayin' . . . .

Mikeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:13 PM   #13
LoveGardenia

A cloud service from major studios in Hollywood?? I don't think so. As Apple has proven a cloud service can and will be hacked. Do you think those major studios would allow a cloud base service to be offered by any tv service that requires High Speed internet?

LoveGardenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:18 PM   #14
bradleys
It'll be fine....

What do you think Ultraviolet is? (Accessed via Vudu on the TiVo)

TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)

Last edited by bradleys; 04-30-2015 at 10:34 PM.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:20 PM   #15
L David Matheny

Quote:
Quote:
I absolutely agree. DVRs are to record content (on local hard drives) for later viewing, with commercial skipping, etc. If that goes away, then TiVo goes away. I hope they understand that.

L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 04-30-2015, 10:30 PM   #16
bradleys
It'll be fine....

I don't think TiVo will abandon the local storage DVR, I think linear cable will abandon them...

Like Netflix, Vudu, Sling and the new Apple content service - their wont be anything for your TiVo to download.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/...able-providers

http://www.gizmag.com/sony-playstati...details/36607/

TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)

Last edited by bradleys; 04-30-2015 at 10:38 PM.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:01 PM   #17
LoveGardenia

Quote:
What do you think Ultraviolet is? (Accessed via Vudu on the TiVo)
I forgot about that service.. my mistake.

LoveGardenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:59 AM   #18
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
There will be no broadcast UHD anytime in the near future. Even with HEVC it's still going to require 25-30Mbps for UHD, which is more then ATSC even supports and would require an entire QAM on cable. I suspect it will be at least 2 more years before we start to see even prototype channels and at least 5 before there are enough to warrant a UHD DVR.

Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 01:22 AM   #19
DG3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerdian1 View Post
It will probably only have 6 tuners.
I think people will somehow manage.

DG3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 02:37 AM   #20
b-ball-fanatic

Quote:
I don't think TiVo will abandon the local storage DVR, I think linear cable will abandon them...

Like Netflix, Vudu, Sling and the new Apple content service - their wont be anything for your TiVo to download.
Yeah, I think that's really the heart of it. TiVo isn't calling the shots here....they're just trying to keep up with an evolving landscape. Like music distribution before it, video distribution is rapidly becoming a streaming, on-demand, IP-based model. (Those of us with cable may one day look like our parents with their quaint landlines and long-distances plans.....)

Last edited by b-ball-fanatic; 05-01-2015 at 03:50 AM.
b-ball-fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:07 AM   #21
atmuscarella

Quote:
Streaming services are never going to allow downloadable content - they are desperately trying to get away from distributed content to control piracy - no, that will never happen.
I agree it is not going to happen but downloadable 4K content is about the only reason I see for having a 4K TiVo now, other wise TiVo might just as well wait until something else justifies a new DVR.

Quote:
@astrohip - TiVo is trying to consolidate legacy cable with modern streaming services. More and more content is going to be delivered via IP mechanisms. TiVo absolutely will include the new 4k Broadcom ship to support these and future streaming services. And as I said, it will be a minor update.

Why would you guys think TiVo would give up on the streaming services they have spent so much energy trying to deliver? That makes no sense.
Why would a person buying a 4K TV that has all 4K streaming services built in spend money on a new TiVo if they already own a Roamio? I agree TiVo will go this route but there is little reason to rush unless the cost is no more than what they are selling now.

Quote:
As for the DVR in the cloud, it won't be that long and all content will be streaming only - maybe, 10 or 15 years and we will be migrating in earnest to cloud based / stream based on demand content.

Believe it or not, you are living in the glory days of content... It won't continue forever.
I am afraid you maybe right. The deal I/we have now is too good to last long term. But I do not see anything changing in the near future that would indicate that TiVo next gen hardware isn't going to be anything but a further evolution of what we have now.

R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 05-01-2015, 07:55 AM   #22
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveGardenia View Post
A cloud service from major studios in Hollywood?? I don't think so.
Cablevision, Charter, and others have been doing variations of cloud DVR for awhile. Some with cloud-based UIs, some with cloud-based storage. That battle has been fought and won.

Cloud storage for TiVo over Internet doesn't make much sense in retail for a lot of reasons. Cloud sotrage over a cable providers managed network could make sense for many other reasons, including things like reducing technician service visits and repair.

davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:49 AM   #23
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
Why would a person buying a 4K TV that has all 4K streaming services built in spend money on a new TiVo if they already own a Roamio? I agree TiVo will go this route but there is little reason to rush unless the cost is no more than what they are selling now. .
I look at Apps on a TV in the same way as I look at built in navigation in a car. The moment you drive off the lot, the maps are out of date!

The app engine on a TV is always going to lag behind the latest and greatest streaming devices. A TV just stays in place too long - I would rather TV's just do what they are designed to do.

Your argument holds water when talking about cheap streaming boxes... They get updated regularly and are cheap to upgrade for the next bigger and better model.

TiVo offers a pretty compelling option with convenience of a single input, but I think they made a mistake partnering with Opera as opposed to somebody like Google / Android.

Once Linear Cable dies - the number of Streaming options are going to explode - I would expect a combination of Google, Apple or even potentially Microsoft to dominate the future of content delivery.

TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 05-01-2015, 10:19 AM   #24
sangs

Quote:
I look at Apps on a TV in the same way as I look at built in navigation in a car. The moment you drive off the lot, the maps are out of date!

The app engine on a TV is always going to lag behind the latest and greatest streaming devices. A TV just stays in place too long - I would rather TV's just do what they are designed to do.
Our LG 4K TV updates its apps quite frequently - the ones that I care about anyway. And they all run more smoothly then they do on our Roamio Pro.

sangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:21 AM   #25
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangs View Post
Our LG 4K TV updates its apps quite frequently - the ones that I care about anyway. And they all run more smoothly then they do on our Roamio Pro.
How long do you plan on keeping that 4k TV? Do you think the app engine in that 4K TV is going to be relevant at 50% of the effective life of that TV?

TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 05-01-2015, 10:26 AM   #26
sangs

Quote:
How long do you plan on keeping that 4k TV? Do you think the app engine in that 4K TV is going to be relevant at 50% of the effective life of that TV?
Well considering LG is also upgrading the software on these sets from webOS 1.0 to webOS 2.0 - for free - I've no reason to think they won't keep at it with the lesser apps. Besides, what great innovations are Netflix, Amazon, Vudu and Pandora going to implement in their streaming apps to make them so superior to the current versions? I'm watching 4K video through those apps right now. Some cosmetic interface change certainly isn't going to ruin my enjoyment. And I plan on keeping it for a while. It's 79-inches of UHD glory.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:28 AM   #27
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangs View Post
Well considering LG is also upgrading the software on these sets from webOS 1.0 to webOS 2.0 - for free - I've no reason to think they won't keep at it with the lesser apps. Besides, what great innovations are Netflix, Amazon, Vudu and Pandora going to implement in their streaming apps to make them so superior to the current versions? I'm watching 4K video through those apps right now. Some cosmetic interface change certainly isn't going to ruin my enjoyment. And I plan on keeping it for a while. It's 79-inches of UHD glory.
I am sure you made a good purchase and will love your TV for a long time.

TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 05-01-2015, 10:29 AM   #28
sangs

Quote:
I am sure you made a good purchase and will love your TV for a long time.
I'd better if I know what's good for me.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:11 PM   #29
astrohip
Stuart F

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Quote:
Zero chance.
Many of you replied to my reply with something along the lines of "it's the future" and similar thoughts.

I don't disagree that streaming will become more important as time goes on. But my reply was to a very specific statement: "the next Series TiVo".

The next TiVo (S6?) will not be cloud based. Zero. Chance. (Is there an echo in here?). Someday, maybe. But not the next one.

astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 07:52 AM   #30
Diana Collins

Well, I doubt TiVo will release a new hardware series until a successor to Cablecard is selected and starts to be deployed. You may see an "Ultra Roamio" that can play streaming UHD content, and you may see larger storage, but it will still be a series 5 box. I wouldn't expect to see a series 6 until late 2016, at the earliest.

Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006
Diana Collins is offline   Reply With Quote