TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-27-2014, 04:05 PM   #1
BH9244

Roamio Pro V-58 Error

Received my new Roamio Pro Last Week, Previously had a Premier and a Elite online, my intent was to replace the TWC DVR for the kids TV. Installation went fine as well as the Cable card pairing. All seemed well until the next morning when I started to notice some of my scheduled recordings being cut short with no signal on the channel. After some tinkering I notice that many channels when selected would appear to tune for a moment then I would get a blank screen with a Tivo Generate V-58 (Unauthorized Channel contact your cable provider message", I checked the other Tivo and the TWC box and they both tuned and received the troubled channels without incident.

I initially contacted the generic TWC support and the women who answered convinced me within 10 seconds that she would be useless in resolving the problem, I then called the cable card support number and the fellow I spoke with (Matt) was more than helpful and clearly had a functional knowledge of the equipment. We went through many tests to check signal levels etc, swapped out the tuning adaptor and tried a different cable card, all resulting in what appeared to be good functionality followed with a few hours by a repeat of the same V-58 failure.

Reaching full aggrevation level I put it to bed for the night, when I looked at it again the next day all seems to work correctly and cannot get it to repeat the error.

I'm wondering if others have experienced the same and could this simply be a case of one or all of the following (Tivo,Tuning Adaptor, Cable Card) needing some time to settle or acquire some additional data relating to the channel lineup ?.

Additionally thinking that perhaps the cable card wasn't really capable of handling the six streams I disabled tuners 5 & 6, after some further searching I'm pretty sure the card is capable but haven't yet re-enabled the additional two tuners..

At the moment TWC is scheduled to come out on Thursday but I'm skeptical of their thought that this is a signal level issue..

Thanks for any guidance, or past experience..
BH9244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:57 PM   #2
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH9244 View Post
Received my new Roamio Pro Last Week, Previously had a Premier and a Elite online, my intent was to replace the TWC DVR for the kids TV. Installation went fine as well as the Cable card pairing. All seemed well until the next morning when I started to notice some of my scheduled recordings being cut short with no signal on the channel. After some tinkering I notice that many channels when selected would appear to tune for a moment then I would get a blank screen with a Tivo Generate V-58 (Unauthorized Channel contact your cable provider message", I checked the other Tivo and the TWC box and they both tuned and received the troubled channels without incident. I initially contacted the generic TWC support and the women who answered convinced me within 10 seconds that she would be useless in resolving the problem, I then called the cable card support number and the fellow I spoke with (Matt) was more than helpful and clearly had a functional knowledge of the equipment. We went through many tests to check signal levels etc, swapped out the tuning adaptor and tried a different cable card, all resulting in what appeared to be good functionality followed with a few hours by a repeat of the same V-58 failure. Reaching full aggrevation level I put it to bed for the night, when I looked at it again the next day all seems to work correctly and cannot get it to repeat the error. I'm wondering if others have experienced the same and could this simply be a case of one or all of the following (Tivo,Tuning Adaptor, Cable Card) needing some time to settle or acquire some additional data relating to the channel lineup ?. Additionally thinking that perhaps the cable card wasn't really capable of handling the six streams I disabled tuners 5 & 6, after some further searching I'm pretty sure the card is capable but haven't yet re-enabled the additional two tuners.. At the moment TWC is scheduled to come out on Thursday but I'm skeptical of their thought that this is a signal level issue.. Thanks for any guidance, or past experience..
This is a VERY well known issue. Sounds like you have an outdated cablecard firmware and you did the correct thing by knocking off tuners 5&6. A tech coming out again will do you absolutely NO GOOD unless he happens to have a card with the minimum required FW of PKEY1.5.3._0601 (1101 preferred). Call the TWC cablecard hotline again and tell them they must upgrade your FW to the newest one and if they don't comply, make a report to the FCC. See the thread near this one called "Tuners 5 and 6 Not Authorized".
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:35 PM   #3
BH9244

Thanks, how can I verify what firmware version is currently on the Cable Card, the one I was originally given is a Sci Atl with 02/03/2010 HW 1.2 "F" on the back of the card, there are also two1/1 yellow stickers on it one says "Loaded" the other "1/15", when you say I should ask them to upgrade the firmware is that something they should be capable of doing remotely or do I exchange the physical cable card...
Old 07-27-2014, 09:09 PM   #4
shamilian

Quote:
Thanks, how can I verify what firmware version is currently on the Cable Card, the one I was originally given is a Sci Atl with 02/03/2010 HW 1.2 "F" on the back of the card, there are also two1/1 yellow stickers on it one says "Loaded" the other "1/15", when you say I should ask them to upgrade the firmware is that something they should be capable of doing remotely or do I exchange the physical cable card...
check FW

Tivo Central ->
Settings & Messages ->
Account & System Info ->
Cablecard decorder ->
Cablecard options ->
CableCard Menu ->
CableCard Status

yes they can upgrade remotely.
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:48 PM   #5
BH9244

Looks like I have 1.5.3_F.p.1101 ?, is it possible I initially had a earlier version that has since been remotely upgraded and hence the disappearance of V_58 Errors, Still only using 4 tuners ?
Old 07-28-2014, 05:56 AM   #6
HarperVision

Quote:
Looks like I have 1.5.3_F.p.1101 ?, is it possible I initially had a earlier version that has since been remotely upgraded and hence the disappearance of V_58 Errors, Still only using 4 tuners ?
Yes that's VERY possible. I know TWC is updating FW because mine was updated sometime in the last couple months while I hadn't noticed (I now have a Roamio basic after I returned my Pro, so it didn't matter anymore to me). I would turn tuners 5-6 back on and try it again. If it still doesn't work and you get more errors, check your TA FW as a well.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:56 AM   #7
BH9244

Re-Enabled Tuners 5 & 6 This morning then set it to record 6 HD shows during the same hour all appeared to record without incident, hoping I can call this fixed. Thanks for the guidance.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:39 PM   #8
FitzAusTex

I do think two things, that you probably didn't have the newest firmware for the CC initially, and that the tivo needed to settle down after acquiring all the correct channel data. I had a very similar, if not identical problem when I first got my CC and tuning adapter.
FitzAusTex is offline   Reply With Quote