TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-31-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
gbruyn

Out of the Home Streaming Needs Work!

Not really happy with the out of the home experience thus far. Downloads start and then fail multiple times both on good wifi and on LTE. Streams start work for a bit then stop. Just now, after having a stream stop, I closed the Tivo app, restarted and tried again. Now -- it's saying it can't find the STREAMING DEVICE.

I have a good 5Mbps upstream internet so that's not the problem.

Hopefully things will improve with future updates but for me, this is hardly a finished product.

How's everyone else's experience been?
Old 11-01-2013, 01:52 AM   #2
Devx

I haven't done extensive testing, I've only casually downloaded a few shows OOH so far but no issues. I'm on Comcast with a usually solid 5-20Mbps upload.
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:04 AM   #3
ilkevinli

I have had a similar experience. I have a 25 Mbps upload and I found the download to be slow and will fail often requiring me to close the app and start the download again.
ilkevinli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:59 AM   #4
ShoutingMan

It's wonky. I've found OOH to be stable but very, very slow.

But now transfers within my home wifi network are slow and unstable, always failing near the very end, requiring one or more re-tries.
ShoutingMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:49 AM   #5
NJChris
Moogs!

For those having trouble, Are you on 2.4ghz or 5ghz wifi with the Romio? I'm on 5ghz N and have not had any problems. If I use 2.4 ghz I'm sure I'd have issues since there's too much interference.
NJChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:12 AM   #6
Grakthis

Where are you guys getting 20+ MBPS upload speeds? That's completely bonkers. Most providers cap it at between 1 and 5.

Are you sure you guys aren't talking about download speeds? hit a speed test and see what you're clocking.
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:17 AM   #7
NYHeel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakthis View Post
Where are you guys getting 20+ MBPS upload speeds? That's completely bonkers. Most providers cap it at between 1 and 5.

Are you sure you guys aren't talking about download speeds? hit a speed test and see what you're clocking.
I have 25 Mbps upload from Fios. It's a 25 down 25 up plan. In reality I typically get about 30 Mbps down and about 22 up.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:07 AM   #8
Devx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakthis View Post

I'm on the 105/20 plan with comcast but to your point I should do a speed test and verify the service I'm actually getting. It's always been consistent before though.
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Old 11-02-2013, 05:35 AM   #9
Devx

Did some more testing with this and thought I would provide some data for others to compare with. Not particularly happy with the results. I conducted my tests from the office (oops) and now I can understand while some are unhappy with the downloading/streaming performance. Appeared to have a 'good' signal at the office, 4/5 bars (circles) on LTE. For the office, think large tower, plenty of windows, overlooking the city, so not underground but in a densely populated area. This is compared to 2/5 bars where I usually download at a friends and haven't really had problems there (less populated).

I chose to download the most recent episode of 'Elementary', an hour long HD show, at medium quality with the resulting size 634MB. It took just over 90 minutes to complete with about 10-12 disconnects. I tried to keep up but honestly just lost count there.

After some of the disconnects I ran a speedtest to quickly verify bandwidth and connectivity before resuming the download. The transfer rate ultimately comes out to be less than 1Mbps based on the math but it includes the disconnects and switching apps to perform a speed test and switching back.

VZW-LTE 1.jpg

And checking on my internet provider, admittedly much later during peak evening hours ET, shows connection speeds to several other speed test provider hosts. All of which meet or exceed expectations for a 20Mbps upload rate.

Highslide JS

Highslide JS

Highslide JS

THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Old 11-03-2013, 12:42 AM   #10
gbruyn

Yeah, not sure what's going on with it but it doesn't seem to be using all of our upload bandwidth. I hope its not streaming to Tivo's servers first and then to our devices.... but who knows!
Old 11-03-2013, 01:05 AM   #11
Devx

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbruyn View Post
Yeah, not sure what's going on with it but it doesn't seem to be using all of our upload bandwidth. I hope its not streaming to Tivo's servers first and then to our devices.... but who knows!
That appears to be exactly the case but I don't have visibility into the processes on the iPhone to be sure.
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)