TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-02-2016, 09:46 PM   #1
argie916

Incompletely recorded shows

1) The week before last Sunday an episode of "The Good Wife" recorded for only 15 seconds (I record this show for 1 hr. + 1 hr. extension for when games run late).

2) The following day, an episode of "60 Days In" recorded for 6 minutes out of 1 hr.

3) Tonight, another episode of "60 Days In" recorded for 11 minutes out of 1 hr.

This time I was keeping an eye on the "To Do" list: I had 4 tuners recording, 1 tuner watching live TV, and 1 tuner unused. We were watching a series on Netflix, which I assume does not use a tuner.

Of the 4 tuners recording, only the "60 Days In" was cut, all the others recorded properly.

I don't even know where to begin troubleshooting.

Has anybody experienced incomplete recordings with the Roamio Plus ?

argie916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:58 AM   #2
UCLABB

Quote:
Originally Posted by argie916 View Post
1) The week before last Sunday an episode of "The Good Wife" recorded for only 15 seconds (I record this show for 1 hr. + 1 hr. extension for when games run late).

2) The following day, an episode of "60 Days In" recorded for 6 minutes out of 1 hr.

3) Tonight, another episode of "60 Days In" recorded for 11 minutes out of 1 hr.

This time I was keeping an eye on the "To Do" list: I had 4 tuners recording, 1 tuner watching live TV, and 1 tuner unused. We were watching a series on Netflix, which I assume does not use a tuner.

Of the 4 tuners recording, only the "60 Days In" was cut, all the others recorded properly.

I don't even know where to begin troubleshooting.

Has anybody experienced incomplete recordings with the Roamio Plus ?
Likely signal problems. Have you checked the signal strengths? I haven't personally had problems, but some cite a weak signal or a signal that is too strong.

UCLABB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:43 AM   #3
jrtroo
User

Here is what I would do, in order, after checking signal strength:

Look at recording history, what reasons does it give?
Reboot the box, while you are at it, I would pull and reseat the cablecard
report back what you find

Old 05-03-2016, 03:16 PM   #4
argie916

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Look at recording history, what reasons does it give?
Reboot the box, while you are at it, I would pull and reseat the cablecard
report back what you find
The only show I can check is 60 Days In. The status in History says DUPLICATE, which is technically correct.

The incomplete show was at 7:50pm. The "duplicate" is the one at 11:54pm, which would have been a duplicate if the earlier show had recorded completely. Since I have a OnePass on this show, I wouldn't have set to record de 11:54pm showing, which actually deepens the mystery.

I will reboot the box and reset the cable card, but this won't explain anything unless it happens again.

argie916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 04:27 PM   #5
csiddens

I've been seeing this as well, and it's been driving me crazy.. an hour show might end up as 58 minutes (partial) on one roamio, and the same exact recording on another is fine. I'm assuming it has to be signal strength issues, but the signal strength always seems maxed out. I hate that I basically have two onepasses on different tivos, hoping one gets the whole show. I'm going to schedule xfinity to come out, I guess, and check signal strength on their meters.

It seems to happen more on NBC and CW shows. Don't know if the channel or cable cards could be playing into it.

csiddens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:54 PM   #6
UCLABB

Quote:
Originally Posted by csiddens View Post
I've been seeing this as well, and it's been driving me crazy.. an hour show might end up as 58 minutes (partial) on one roamio, and the same exact recording on another is fine. I'm assuming it has to be signal strength issues, but the signal strength always seems maxed out. I hate that I basically have two onepasses on different tivos, hoping one gets the whole show. I'm going to schedule xfinity to come out, I guess, and check signal strength on their meters.

It seems to happen more on NBC and CW shows. Don't know if the channel or cable cards could be playing into it.
If the signal strength is "maxed out" then it's possible the signal is too strong. I have never had this problem, but I think others have used attenuators or splitters to reduce the strength.

UCLABB is online now   Reply With Quote