TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-28-2016, 11:43 AM   #1
lmacmil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 92
Possible to skip in 15 minute intervals

Occasionally I'll get near the end of a recorded show and switch to live TV or bring up the program guide and when I try to resume the recording, I'm back at the beginning. I'm sure this is "operator error."

Anyway, I see the recordings have 15 minute intervals marked. Is there a way to jump 15 minutes with one button click? My "skip to tick" button currently jumps 30 seconds.

lmacmil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:47 AM   #2
kdmorse
Registered User
 
kdmorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Germantown, MD
Posts: 4,952
Press FF once. While FF is engaged, press skip to tick, you will jump to the next tick. Repeate as many times as is necessary to land where you want. Press play to cancel the FFing.

(Also works in reverse to go back a tick)

__________________
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
"Stop slouching! It's two O'clock in the afternoon, PUT PANTS ON!"
"Statistically speaking, there are two Popes per square kilometer in Vatican City..."
kdmorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 04-28-2016, 11:48 AM   #3
Lancep50
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 10
you can start regular fast forward then press the "skip to click" for the 15 minute intervals.

__________________
3/2015 TiVo HD 1T Lifetime - Sold 1/2016
4/2015 TiVo HD XL 1T Lifetime
1/2016 TiVo Roamio OTA 500G Lifetime
Lancep50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:53 AM   #4
tarheelblue32
Registered User
 
tarheelblue32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,568
You can also back up to the previous tick mark the same way by pressing the instant replay button while rewinding. And you can also press and hold the "skip to tick" button and it will take you all the way to the end of the program instantly and then you can back up a little from there.

tarheelblue32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:37 PM   #5
lmacmil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 92
Thank you folks!

lmacmil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:05 PM   #6
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 10,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancep50 View Post
"skip to click"
tick

__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.
- Assuming based on evidence is not the same as knowing.
- If you want to argue with me at least use some actual facts instead of making it up.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:07 PM   #7
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 10,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmacmil View Post
Occasionally I'll get near the end of a recorded show and switch to live TV or bring up the program guide and when I try to resume the recording, I'm back at the beginning. I'm sure this is "operator error."
Press pause before exiting the recording.

__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.
- Assuming based on evidence is not the same as knowing.
- If you want to argue with me at least use some actual facts instead of making it up.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:23 PM   #8
humbb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmacmil View Post
Anyway, I see the recordings have 15 minute intervals marked. Is there a way to jump 15 minutes with one button click? My "skip to tick" button currently jumps 30 seconds.
Just be aware that for longer recordings (I think >3 hours), the tick marks are at 30 minute intervals, or higher. So a single skip to tick will be more than 15 minutes in that case.

humbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 03:09 PM   #9
tatergator1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,482
Another trick is that if you hit the end of the recording and get the "Keep or Delete" dialog box, you can hit the Instant Replay button and get back to the recording without having to dismiss the dialog box by selecting "keep" and then starting all over.

tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 04-28-2016, 03:48 PM   #10
TonyD79
Registered User
 
TonyD79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 7,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
Another trick is that if you hit the end of the recording and get the "Keep or Delete" dialog box, you can hit the Instant Replay button and get back to the recording without having to dismiss the dialog box by selecting "keep" and then starting all over.
Found that one by accident a few weeks ago after bemoaning that I had that capability on DirecTV but had not seen it on any Tivo page. I slapped my head that I just didn't try it.

__________________
Tony D
TonyD79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:14 PM   #11
MHunter1
TiVo Bug Hunter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 283
Duration affects ticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbb View Post
for longer recordings, tick marks are at 30 minute intervals or higher
This started with v20.3.1 in May 2013. I've been requesting they go back to 15-minute tick marks for all durations but after 3 years there must be some reason TiVo doesn't want to. At least NBC's Today Show recently split their 4-hour program into one 2-hour and two 1-hour segments making it easier to skip-to-tick.

MHunter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 04-28-2016, 09:30 PM   #12
mattack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: sunnyvale
Posts: 20,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
Another trick is that if you hit the end of the recording and get the "Keep or Delete" dialog box, you can hit the Instant Replay button and get back to the recording without having to dismiss the dialog box by selecting "keep" and then starting all over.
IIRC you can just use rewind too..

mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:27 AM   #13
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 10,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHunter1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbb View Post
for longer recordings, the tick marks are at 30 minute intervals, or higher.
This started with v20.3.1 in May 2013. I've been requesting they go back to 15-minute tick marks for all durations but after 3 years there must be some reason TiVo doesn't want to. At least NBC's Today Show recently split their 4-hour program into one 2-hour and two 1-hour segments making it easier to skip-to-tick.
It started long before v20.3.1. As far as I know, tick marks have always been at 30 minute intervals for longer recordings.

__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.
- Assuming based on evidence is not the same as knowing.
- If you want to argue with me at least use some actual facts instead of making it up.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 05:42 PM   #14
MHunter1
TiVo Bug Hunter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
It started long before v20.3.1. As far as I know, tick marks have always been at 30 minute intervals for longer recordings.
I pinpointed it to v20.3.1 in May 2013 because I keep logs of all my support tickets and found in my archives that I submitted a complaint to TiVo on May 22, 2013, regarding recordings that were 3 to 6 hours now having 30-minute tick mark intervals and recordings that were 6 hours or longer having 1-hour tick mark intervals. The change was that noticeable to me and important enough to voice my dissatisfaction about it.

MHunter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:21 PM   #15
samccfl99
I Am Sometimes Vocal
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: coconut creek, florida
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHunter1 View Post
I've been requesting they go back to 15-minute tick marks for all durations but after 3 years there must be some reason TiVo doesn't want to.
I have told them many times also. For a long time I thought no one was there anymore to get into the actual DVR code, but after they did Q&S Modes, I believe they do. I have no idea why they will not change it. Over the last few years I have seen customers say they do NOT want it, mostly people who watch sports. I still do not understand...LOL. 3 hour recordings have 30 min ticks and anything over 4 hours I believe has ONE HOUR ticks and speed 3 is still slow as molasseses.

OH WELL, AGAIN, THANK YOU TIVO, INC...

__________________
If you have nothing nice to say, THEN PLEASE DON'T...
If you have something interesting to say, THEN PLEASE DO...

HAVE A NICE DAY...AND SMILE...
samccfl99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 01:31 PM   #16
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 10,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHunter1 View Post
I pinpointed it to v20.3.1 in May 2013 because I keep logs of all my support tickets and found in my archives that I submitted a complaint to TiVo on May 22, 2013, regarding recordings that were 3 to 6 hours now having 30-minute tick mark intervals and recordings that were 6 hours or longer having 1-hour tick mark intervals. The change was that noticeable to me and important enough to voice my dissatisfaction about it.

It has always been that way, it didn't just start 3 years ago.

From page 23 of the 2002 series 1 user's manual (page 30 of the pdf)
Quote:
When you press PLAY, PAUSE, FWD, or BACK, the status bar appears on the lower part of your screen. In live TV, the status bar represents one hour and the white tick marks are15 minutes apart. In recorded programs, the bar shows the program's length. The white tick marks are 15 or 30 minutes apart, depending on the length of the program
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/328...ick&selected=2

__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.
- Assuming based on evidence is not the same as knowing.
- If you want to argue with me at least use some actual facts instead of making it up.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:36 PM   #17
MHunter1
TiVo Bug Hunter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 283
3 hours with 15-minute ticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
It has always been that way, it didn't just start 3 years ago.
3-hour programs indeed had 15-minute tick mark intervals until v20.3.1 in May 2013.

Perhaps programs longer than 6 hours always had tick marks at 30 minute intervals, but news programs, talk shows, and sports broadcasts that were between 3 and maybe 5 hours long had 15-minute tick mark intervals until a software update in May 2013.




Scroll to 0:59 mark

MHunter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump







Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Advertisements





TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media


(C) 2016 DBNet - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:26 PM.
Page generated in 0.21003294 seconds (65.21% PHP - 34.79% MySQL) with 18 queries