TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-17-2014, 06:59 AM   #1
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

The Amazing Race - Kuala Lumpur - OAD 3/16/2014

I just knew this was a non-elim. I called it quite early on in the show. It was too much to hope for Brenchel to get sent home, I guess.

We learned (officially) that Luke is gay - and still a cry-baby when things get tough!

I still am surprised sometimes when teams leave point A first and arrive at point B later than others. Taxis (or Teksis) are still the great equalizer, but I guess there's not a lot can be done about it.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:08 AM   #2
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I really thought Luke and his mom were going to get Philiminated. I figured the reason they were giving us his coming-out story was because they were going to be gone. Guess I was wrong. But boy howdy did Luke get frustrated (no surprise). It was nice how Brendon and Rachel tried to encourage him though.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:11 AM   #3
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Luke is even more annoying than the last time he was on.

Giving him the benefit of the doubt, maybe it stems from communication issues and the frustration that must cause. But regardless, he is annoying.

Brendon can hear, and was still going to break (Hulk smash!) the glasses just to do it. Ugh. I was shocked to see Rachel being the calm one, and encouraging.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:27 AM   #4
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

If I didn't know about Rachel from BB and her last season on TAR, I might actually like her. Maybe marriage has humbled her somewhat because she was downright likable that episode. Still, I was disappointed to not see them get philiminated. I liked that they seemed to up the ante on these challenges this season. We've seen some real difficult ones for sure. Maybe it's because it's "All-Stars" but I really like it. The challenges are making this season much more likable than I had thought. Good for TAR.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:30 AM   #5
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

I forgot to add a comment about Rachel's statement that "If we win, he's promised me babies".

For the love of Darwin, PLEASE don't let this happen!
Old 03-17-2014, 08:04 AM   #6
VegasVic
Craps Player

Rachel is much more tolerable this season. Maybe they're just giving her a better edit. I would imagine there is a bunch up of some sort next episode or else they are going to have to make up a ton of time.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:43 AM   #7
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

The Simon Says style scratching seemed like a much easier task than the drinks.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:47 AM   #8
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
The Simon Says style scratching seemed like a much easier task than the drinks.
I suppose Luke really couldn't do that one though.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:51 AM   #9
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasVic View Post
Rachel is much more tolerable this season. Maybe they're just giving her a better edit. I would imagine there is a bunch up of some sort next episode or else they are going to have to make up a ton of time.
This could be. Maybe they anticipated the groans from most of us when we heard she'd be on again.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:51 AM   #10
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubob57 View Post
I suppose Luke really couldn't do that one though.
That is true and I thought it was a little unfair actually. It was not a really a choice for them.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:54 AM   #11
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
That is true and I thought it was a little unfair actually. It was not a really a choice for them.
Which means if you put it on a non-elim, it doesn't really matter. There is almost guaranteed to be a bunch up at the beginning of the next ep.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:56 AM   #12
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude View Post
Which means if you put it on a non-elim, it doesn't really matter. There is almost guaranteed to be a bunch up at the beginning of the next ep.
Good point. That should have been a tip-off that it was a non-elimination.

Oh, and I forgot her name but that poor girls feet looked extremely painful.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:58 AM   #13
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I just figured it was a non-elim, just because they were about due for one. I hope the speed bump is in the spirit of this season and is difficult. Too many are way too easy and let a team back into the race that shouldn't be.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:14 AM   #14
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

I'm really liking this season so far. I like most of the teams, and the ones I like least are being tolerable and are near the bottom so they will likely be out soon.

I was really shocked at how calm Rachel stayed through 40+ attempts at pouring the drinks. And I really couldn't blame Luke for his outburst. I might throw down the glasses in frustration after screwing that up so many times as well.

I wonder what time the club closes. I was surprised it still seemed to be pumping when Margie and Luke left, but was then deserted when Brenchel finished. If it had taken 5 hours or something, that makes sense, but it only took them 3:12. Since Dave and Connor said they'd been trying for two hours when all the other teams showed up, the elapsed time of 3:12 doesn't seem all that much longer.

Interesting that Margie was talking about taking the time penalty together and Rachel said no. I wonder how that would work if the last two teams stepped on the mat simultaneously.

Can't believe Cord had to jump for that flag nearly 50 times. I'd think after that many jumps, your legs would be shot and there's no way you'd be able to keep jumping that high. Maybe they kept lowering the flag a little until a team would get it.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:19 AM   #15
laria
Librocubicularist

It seemed like the club was open that late just for the race... and I noticed after the first few scratching attempts, the "excited" crowd was much diminished. You could see people just sitting at tables in the background and there was just that small crowd they were probably paying to be dancing around in the front.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:25 AM   #16
LlamaLarry

Quote:
Oh, and I forgot her name but that poor girls feet looked extremely painful.
Yeah, she looked like she was going to cry when she finished and I thought *I* might cry looking at how much pain she was in.

I guess the flag heights were adjusted for contestant heights? Otherwise I don't see how Big Easy would have even had to jump, much less miss a few times and wipe out on the bamboo trampoline.
LlamaLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:27 AM   #17
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LlamaLarry View Post
Yeah, she looked like she was going to cry when she finished and I thought *I* might cry looking at how much pain she was in.

I guess the flag heights were adjusted for contestant heights? Otherwise I don't see how Big Easy would have even had to jump, much less miss a few times and wipe out on the bamboo trampoline.
When describing the flag challenge, they mentioned that the flag would be adjusted to the jumper's height.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:33 AM   #18
laria
Librocubicularist

Yeah I noticed when they showed Big Easy's flag, it was wayyyyy up in the peak of the roof. Those guys jumping with him must have been scared when it looked like was going to fall over on them a few times!

I am liking Rachel a lot more this time around, but "really?!" with the pantyhose.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:39 AM   #19
LlamaLarry

Thanks, that makes sense.
LlamaLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:45 AM   #20
laria
Librocubicularist

Also, I never thought I would say this, but I am also liking the Afghanimals more this time around. They are not as over the top with the ululating and stupid "race wife" stuff this time, which is what drove me insane about them before.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:52 AM   #21
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Can't agree about the Afhganimals. Although they're better than last time, I still would like to see them go home along with Brenchel and, to a lesser extent, Margie & Luke.

The others, it seems to me, are racing to race, not cause as much havoc (or 'TV') as possible!
Old 03-17-2014, 12:55 PM   #22
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
Can't agree about the Afhganimals. Although they're better than last time, I still would like to see them go home along with Brenchel and, to a lesser extent, Margie & Luke.

The others, it seems to me, are racing to race, not cause as much havoc (or 'TV') as possible!
I agree
Old 03-17-2014, 01:21 PM   #23
laria
Librocubicularist

They don't seem like they are doing that that much this time, though.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:39 PM   #24
NJChris
Moogs!

I like to see some teams having fun along the way. I don't mind the afghanimals and Brendon and Rachel are much more stable this time (so far). Margie And Luke annoy me because of his temper tantrums.
NJChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 02:40 PM   #25
Ment

Rachel does have the redeeming quality of unending determination. She showed the same qualities in the BB house. Probably matured a bit as well. Still good for a once a EP cry.

I bet Flight and Easy were embarrassed they took so long on the DJ challenge, they'll never hear the end of it back home.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:02 PM   #26
stellie93

I get that Margie and Luke couldn't do the other challenge, but I wonder why B and R didn't switch?

I'm also liking the Afghanimals a little better this time. When they're being serious they seem very intelligent and nice. Of course, they aren't serious very often....
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:36 PM   #27
Ment

The flipside to determination is stubbornness... Plus everyone said the DJ task was hard too.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:44 PM   #28
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
I get that Margie and Luke couldn't do the other challenge, but I wonder why B and R didn't switch?
Because Rachel thought she should know how since she was a cocktail waitress in Vegas. At least she only mentioned it a few times...
Old 03-17-2014, 05:51 PM   #29
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Are we past the point now where Dave can quit reminding us that he blew out his achilles the first time around??? We get it - you got hurt and couldn't finish the race last time. This is an entirely different race!

It didn't bother me the first couple times he mentioned it, but I see no reason to keep going back there now.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:03 PM   #30
Squeak
An Inert Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLucPicard View Post
Are we past the point now where Dave can quit reminding us that he blew out his achilles the first time around??? We get it - you got hurt and couldn't finish the race last time. This is an entirely different race!

It didn't bother me the first couple times he mentioned it, but I see no reason to keep going back there now.
Remember, the editors tell the story they want, not the contestants. That is not on him.

Side question: do you think the producers would have let the contestants practice the bar tending trick with fewer glasses first? Say, try with 3 first to get the flow, and then start adding from there?