TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-11-2014, 01:28 AM   #1
jamesl

HIMYM - Dai*y - 2014/03/10

so is the Mother's name Daisy ?

did they name the baby after The Mother ?
jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:07 AM   #2
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

No, they named the baby after the flower in the Captain's powder room where Lily hid the pregnancy test.

Also, why did you put the * in the episode title?
Old 03-11-2014, 03:02 AM   #3
jamesl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
No, they named the baby after the flower in the Captain's powder room where Lily hid the pregnancy test.

Also, why did you put the * in the episode title?
wow, forgot all about the flower LOL
to me, Daisy is a girl's name
and with the speculation last week about who might die and whether or not a baby girl would be born to Ted and The Mother, I didn't want to put a girl's name in the thread title

sure, its the name of the episode, and anybody interested would know that, but there may be some people who record the show and never look at the episode name or preview because sometimes they contain spoilers

and I didn't want to put any kind of spoiler in the thread title
jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:47 AM   #4
pahunt

I understand they have to wrap everyone's story up before the end but I was desperately waiting for something to happen with Ted and the mother. So while compared to the rest of this season it was a fairly decent episode, I was pretty disappointed.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:05 AM   #5
pahunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesl View Post
sure, its the name of the episode, and anybody interested would know that, but there may be some people who record the show and never look at the episode name or preview because sometimes they contain spoilers

I'm all for avoiding spoilers but this seems a bit extreme to me. Perhaps you should have put HIMY* as well in case someone didn't realise that this was a story about Ted met the kids mother
Old 03-11-2014, 07:26 AM   #6
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesl View Post
wow, forgot all about the flower LOL
to me, Daisy is a girl's name
and with the speculation last week about who might die and whether or not a baby girl would be born to Ted and The Mother, I didn't want to put a girl's name in the thread title

Did you even watch the episode? How could it NOT be clear that the baby was named after the daisy in The Captain's bathroom? And how could NOT be clear who's baby it was?

Anyway, to spread more rumors (for the fun of it), do we know Lily is alive at the time of Ted telling the story of meeting Mom? I can't remember if we have seen her in a flash forward up to that point or beyond. Of course I'm referring to the possibility that it's Lily, and not the mom, who's died. And Ted would definitely have gotten a teary eyed reaction from the Mom's comment last week if Lily had died as well.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:27 AM   #7
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahunt View Post
I'm all for avoiding spoilers but this seems a bit extreme to me. Perhaps you should have put HIMY* as well in case someone didn't realise that this was a story about Ted met the kids mother
The Episode's title was Daisy, right there in the open.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:35 AM   #8
3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Did you even watch the episode? How could it NOT be clear that the baby was named after the daisy in The Captain's bathroom? And how could NOT be clear who's baby it was?

Anyway, to spread more rumors (for the fun of it), do we know Lily is alive at the time of Ted telling the story of meeting Mom? I can't remember if we have seen her in a flash forward up to that point or beyond. Of course I'm referring to the possibility that it's Lily, and not the mom, who's died. And Ted would definitely have gotten a teary eyed reaction from the Mom's comment last week if Lily had died as well.
I don't know if that would be such a great consolation for those upset at the prospect of the mother's death. Cheer up folks, it's Lilly who bites the dust
3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:36 AM   #9
TonyD79

I loved the episode. So much that it made me wish the show was not ending.

It also demonstrated the whole technique of the show to give us a complete view only to find out it was all wrong. A big reason why I have doubt about the fate of the mother.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:50 AM   #10
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D View Post
I don't know if that would be such a great consolation for those upset at the prospect of the mother's death. Cheer up folks, it's Lilly who bites the dust
Never said it would be, but it would be another explanation for Ted's reaction. For some reason, for this series, and it being a comedy, I'd much prefer the cliched shiny happy ending
Old 03-11-2014, 07:53 AM   #11
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

What does everyone think of the ending with Robin? My first reaction was, she's still in love with Ted, and they are going down THAT road. Please no!!
Old 03-11-2014, 08:17 AM   #12
jeff92k7

I wish they'd give up the Ted/Robin thing already. It's over, move on. Get some new writers or something.

Overall, I liked this episode. It had some fun moments. However, one thing really bugged me after watching it last night. They set up this whole mystery that Ted "solved" that was based around Lily putting a cigarette in the plant since it would become mulch (eventually). But then they find a pregnancy test in the plant. Was this some sort of biodegradable pregnancy test? It kind of ruined the whole premise of the mystery. Sure, it's great that they're having another kid. But the logic of replacing a cigarette butt with a plastic pregnancy test in the plant served absolutely no purpose other than to purposely mislead the audience up until that moment.

[rant]Also, the adult side of me thinks that Marshall and Lily are stupid. Giving up a very good job so Lily can go chase a short-lived and temporary dream is completely stupid once there are kids around. Being a parent sometimes requires making sacrifices for the kids and that often includes passing on opportunities to chase your own dreams. Good parents do what's best for the kids and getting a very good job that would provide well for the family would have been the better decision. Lily knew that. I think it was stupid of Marshall to talk her out of it, and stupid of Lily to give in. [/rant]
jeff92k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:31 AM   #13
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

I would probably give up my dream job if my wife got hers and we could live in Italy for at least a year.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:41 AM   #14
nyc13

Quote:
What does everyone think of the ending with Robin? My first reaction was, she's still in love with Ted, and they are going down THAT road. Please no!!
Can someone refresh my memory for this scene, I've got nothing here. I guess the rest of the episode lulled me into completely missing this.
nyc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:54 AM   #15
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff92k7 View Post
I wish they'd give up the Ted/Robin thing already. It's over, move on. Get some new writers or something. Overall, I liked this episode. It had some fun moments. However, one thing really bugged me after watching it last night. They set up this whole mystery that Ted "solved" that was based around Lily putting a cigarette in the plant since it would become mulch (eventually). But then they find a pregnancy test in the plant. Was this some sort of biodegradable pregnancy test? It kind of ruined the whole premise of the mystery. Sure, it's great that they're having another kid. But the logic of replacing a cigarette butt with a plastic pregnancy test in the plant served absolutely no purpose other than to purposely mislead the audience up until that moment. [rant]Also, the adult side of me thinks that Marshall and Lily are stupid. Giving up a very good job so Lily can go chase a short-lived and temporary dream is completely stupid once there are kids around. Being a parent sometimes requires making sacrifices for the kids and that often includes passing on opportunities to chase your own dreams. Good parents do what's best for the kids and getting a very good job that would provide well for the family would have been the better decision. Lily knew that. I think it was stupid of Marshall to talk her out of it, and stupid of Lily to give in. [/rant]
Why did it have to be biodegradable for Lily to stick it there. She HID it. It was Ted's theory about biodegradable and his theory was wrong.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:55 AM   #16
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

I called "pregnant" the moment she walked out of the store with a bag.

Quote:
My thought too. Ugh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc13 View Post

Can someone refresh my memory for this scene, I've got nothing here. I guess the rest of the episode lulled me into completely missing this.
Near the end Robin's mom was talking about having a man you knew you could depend on. Robin got all misty.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:03 AM   #17
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post

Near the end Robin's mom was talking about having a man you knew you could depend on. Robin got all misty.
And didn't they keep flashing to various scenes of Ted while she was talking?
Old 03-11-2014, 09:03 AM   #18
DUDE_NJX

Quote:
I called "pregnant" the moment she walked out of the store with a bag.
You would know
DUDE_NJX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:04 AM   #19
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

If there's one thing I can spot it's a surreptitious pregnancy test!
Old 03-11-2014, 09:05 AM   #20
DUDE_NJX

Precisely.
DUDE_NJX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:01 PM   #21
Sparty99

A little late to this weeks party but I have to say I hated the pregnancy twist. Not because it didn't fit (hell, we probably could've predicted it), but because it so clearly was a last minute add in that ruined one of the best running gags of the season (the "Thank you, Linus" bit). It just makes no sense that Lily asked for a drink in her hand the whole weekend, and then we go back to find out, "Oh, right, she made sure to ask for non-alcoholic drinks." Just a ridiculously stupid twist.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sparty99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:09 PM   #22
awsnyde

I seem to recall that some haven't liked the character of the Captain—or maybe that was just the TV Guide critic—but he cracks me up every time he's on the show. It probably helps that it seems so "out of character" compared to the characters that KM usually plays. And in this case, we got to see him the same evening playing a villain on "Believe."

(And speaking of KM, who has been in one of my all-time favorite movies, "Blue Velvet", and one of my all-time favorite TV series, "Twin Peaks", now HDNet Movies, or whatever the hell it's calling itself now, is showing "The Hidden" this month. So I finally get to show my wife that movie, which I think she will like.)

Count me among the apparently very few, at least on here, who wouldn't mind at all if the writers put Ted and Robin together. To be sure, the relationship between Robin and Barney always seemed forced to me, a mere plot point to tie things together. OTOH, it also wouldn't bother me at all if the writers didn't put Ted and Robin together. It would bother me if they killed off "the mother", but as I've noted previously, it's fiction and I'd just rewrite the ending in my head.
awsnyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:00 AM   #23
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty99 View Post
A little late to this weeks party but I have to say I hated the pregnancy twist. Not because it didn't fit (hell, we probably could've predicted it), but because it so clearly was a last minute add in that ruined one of the best running gags of the season (the "Thank you, Linus" bit). It just makes no sense that Lily asked for a drink in her hand the whole weekend, and then we go back to find out, "Oh, right, she made sure to ask for non-alcoholic drinks." Just a ridiculously stupid twist.
Actually that twist made a certain degree of sense to me.

Especially in TV land a girl refusing a drink is blatant banner screaming "I'm pregnant"; and even in real life it can raise questions.

If Lily wants to keep anyone from suspecting, one way is to ensure no-one offers her a drink. Having Linus constantly replacing her drink with a new one effectively denies anyone else an opening to offer her an (actually alcoholic) drink.

Her friends might worry about her drinking, but while doing that they're very unlikely to suspect she might be pregnant.

Sure it's a TV show solution, but not all that crazy of one.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:39 PM   #24
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Yep, that was a smart way to hide her pregnancy.

I spent an evening drinking limeade as faux margaritas early on with Thing 3.

Last edited by Robin : 03-17-2014 at 12:45 PM.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:44 PM   #25
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Yep, that was a smart way to hide her pregnancy.
Or a dumb thing for the writers to have to figure out a retcon for when they decided to make her pregnant after having a full season if her appearing to be a lush.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:11 PM   #26
Sparty99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
Actually that twist made a certain degree of sense to me.

Especially in TV land a girl refusing a drink is blatant banner screaming "I'm pregnant"; and even in real life it can raise questions.

If Lily wants to keep anyone from suspecting, one way is to ensure no-one offers her a drink. Having Linus constantly replacing her drink with a new one effectively denies anyone else an opening to offer her an (actually alcoholic) drink.

Her friends might worry about her drinking, but while doing that they're very unlikely to suspect she might be pregnant.

Sure it's a TV show solution, but not all that crazy of one.
This is a perfectly reasonable explanation, however...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Or a dumb thing for the writers to have to figure out a retcon for when they decided to make her pregnant after having a full season if her appearing to be a lush.
...I think that this is the more rational explanation. Remember, at the beginning of the season, she walked into the bar stressed out (I believe because of the plane issues Marshall was having), and said (paraphrasing), "I don't want to be without a drink in my hand all weekend long." It had nothing to do with needing to keep up appearances, it had to do with being stressed and wanting to drink all weekend long. Now 20 episodes into the show they decide to flashback on everything and say, "Look, Lily wasn't being irresposible, she was drinking non-alcoholic drinks the entire time." To me, it's pretty clear that they wrote the whole pregnancy storyline and then someone said, "Wait, she's been drinking all weekend, how do we explain that," and then came up with a quick flashback showing that she had asked for the non-alcoholic drinks. It's just a piss-poor coverup, IMO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:13 PM   #27
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

It makes just as much sense as her drinking roughly 400 gin and tonics over the course of 20 hours. A woman her size would have been dead a long time ago if those were all legit drinks.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:29 PM   #28
Sparty99

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
It makes just as much sense as her drinking roughly 400 gin and tonics over the course of 20 hours. A woman her size would have been dead a long time ago if those were all legit drinks.
Keep in mind she destroyed a number of full glasses and there was a scene where Ted kept taking drinks from her while Linus constantly refilled her, so Lily wasn't actually drinking all of those drinks.

(We could also discuss the tolerance of a woman who spends a significant amount of time drinking in a bar, but I'll move on.)

Also, there's this, from a HIMYM Wiki (admittedly not the most reliable source), which I found when I was seeing if anyone was keeping count of Lily's drinks:

Quote:
After learning that James is getting a divorce, Lily drunk, tells Barney by mistake.
To me it's pretty clear that they threw in that she wasn't drinking after the fact. Some of their bits are pre-planned, but I don't believe this one was.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:37 PM   #29
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

In terms of writing, it does feel like a cop out / retro they've pulled. But, as I was noting, I've been thinking how silly it is for many episodes now how much she's been drinking.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:40 PM   #30
3D

It would be pretty lazy on the writers part if they didn't have endgames planned out for all of the major characters prior to this season even being written (and really, prior to last season, which was supposed to be the end). I'm betting that you might be able to find an inconsistency or two (such as the seemingly drunk reveal about James) but that they planned the pregnancy all along.
3D is offline   Reply With Quote