TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-27-2015, 07:08 PM   #1
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

House of Cards Season 3

Anyone finish it yet.

I'm homebound this weekend, gonna binge watch starting tonight

Last edited by TIVO_GUY_HERE; 02-27-2015 at 07:13 PM.
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:09 PM   #2
markp99
TakoKichi

Just started...

markp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:09 PM   #3
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Starting first thing in the morning.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 01:57 AM   #4
bsnelson
I'm an Android, baby

He's alive... ALIVE!

Brad

bsnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:09 AM   #5
Hank
AC•FTW

Watched 2 eps. I always thought Stamper would be alive. He much to calmly evil to eliminate from the show... And now frank needs him more than ever to continue the back channel intimidation and "violence"

And man, what's up with taking whiskey with a syringe to the mouth?

Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:41 AM   #6
markp99
TakoKichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
And man, what's up with taking whiskey with a syringe to the mouth?
Yes, WTF is that about - metering his intake?

Did we see him actually inject thru the skin in the first 2-3 eps?

markp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:54 AM   #7
bsnelson
I'm an Android, baby

I'm going to take a stab (no pun intended) at the whiskey thing, and make a personal revelation at the same time.

Many years ago, I was on a liquid fasting diet for weight loss. At that time, the only three flavors available were chocolate, vanilla and strawberry (obviously all sweet). So, every meal was a cold, sweet shake with varying amounts of ice etc. After a few months of that, it gets really difficult.

Finally, I couldn't take not having the taste of anything savory, so I bought a couple of small bags of chips (like vending machine size) and stood at the sink. I'd chew a mouthful of chips, then spit them into the sink. I repeated until they were gone, and rinsed everything down the drain, having not swallowed any (well, except for obviously a little bit that might have went down with some saliva).

My conscience was clear; I hadn't actually "eaten" anything, yet I had tasted the flavor of the food. This is Doug's way of having the mouthfeel and taste of the booze, but honestly being able to say he hasn't "taken a drink" (like into his stomach). I'm sure any alcoholic would say he's lying to himself, but that's my take.

Brad

Old 02-28-2015, 10:11 AM   #8
Hank
AC•FTW

That does make sense, but why the syringe, and not just use 1/2 a shot glass? It's awfully specific.

Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:29 AM   #9
Gunnyman
Just a boring dude

I'm up to episode 5. It almost lost me. It seems to be moving slowly.

Old 03-01-2015, 02:54 PM   #10
bsnelson
I'm an Android, baby

I just finished it.

I'll wait for some others to catch up before I weigh in.

Brad

Old 03-01-2015, 04:35 PM   #11
kdelande
TiVo-Wobble

About 5 eps in here. My take on the syringe is that while he needs the relief that comes from the alcohol, he's trying to avoid the sensation of having a glass of booze at his lips as that might be a stronger trigger to a full relapse.

Glad to have him back, I really wasn't sure what his true fate was after S2. Seemed to be an awfully convincing image of a dead Doug last season.

Francis certainly has had a rough go of things since assuming the POTUS role. I'm not sure if I'm excited Claire got her way with the Ambassador role. She's been up and down with how successful she's been and it's an obvious recurring theme that almost everyone doesn't take her seriously given her unique relationship with the Pres. and her lack of experience.

XBL: kdawg5
kdelande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:44 AM   #12
kimsan
underling

A thought on the syringe: Doug can honestly say he hasn't taken a drink, raised a glass, no liquor has touched his lips, and many other terms. It also holds him to a single small "shot".

kim
kimsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 01:46 PM   #13
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

I liked this season more than season 2. My wife felt the opposite.

My mother is recovering from brain surgery and has left side weakness. No one mentioned this magic shot that lets people improve so quickly. Hmpf... the privileges of the elite, amiright?

TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 04:01 PM   #14
Hcour

I'm 9 eps in. It's fine, but definitely not as good as the previous 2 seasons. It could use with a lot less legitimate political maneuvering and a lot more back-stabbing and underhandedness.

Hcour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 05:11 PM   #15
bsnelson
I'm an Android, baby

Mostly non-spoilery observations: Frank is at his best when he's climbing the ladder, when he has a person(s) to focus his skills on. Once he got to the top, he realized that he had 300 million Americans (and 535 congresspeople) to answer to, and the results weren't as good.

My first impression after it was done was that I was disappointed, but it was a logical conclusion. Did they say definitively that this was the final season? I can't really find anything saying that, but to me, the ending pretty much closes the door to any possibility of a fourth season.

Brad

Old 03-02-2015, 07:10 PM   #16
nirisahn

I don't see how the ending closes the door on a fourth season. If anything, it leaves the door open for a fourth season. If they'd ended this season the way the UK version ended season 3, then there'd be no way there could be a fourth season.

I agree that this wasn't as good as the first two seasons. So far, I like season two the best. Frank's definitely better at backstabbing and maneuvering then he is at actually running the country.

nirisahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:31 PM   #17
Gunnyman
Just a boring dude

That's IT????
I was hoping to see Underwood go down in flames.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:59 PM   #18
Hcour

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirisahn View Post
I don't see how the ending closes the door on a fourth season. If anything, it leaves the door open for a fourth season. If they'd ended this season the way the UK version ended season 3, then there'd be no way there could be a fourth season.
I wish they'd gone that route, the ending to the UK version was brilliant. But, overall, it was more black comedy and satirical than this version so I'm not sure it would have worked. But I wish they'd wrapped it up somehow, not sure if there's enough left in the story and the characters for another season.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:28 PM   #19
bsnelson
I'm an Android, baby

Quote:
I don't see how the ending closes the door on a fourth season.
IMO:
Spoiler:
Frank can't win the nomination without Claire. No nomination, no re-election. No re-election, no future for Frank. No future for Frank, no House of Cards.

Brad

Old 03-03-2015, 01:26 AM   #20
nirisahn

True. But
Spoiler:
Just because Claire walked out on him at the end of the episode doesn't mean they aren't going to reconcile. There's still hope.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:37 AM   #21
JohnB1000

Not read the thread because it useless until I have watched all the episodes, too scared of spoilers. Wish there were episode threads, but not enough to start them.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:50 AM   #22
JETarpon

Finished last night.

Viktor is a bastard, but he was right about Claire. She was completely unfit for that position.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:24 AM   #23
Carlucci
Hiding The Decline

Quote:
True. But
Spoiler:
Just because Claire walked out on him at the end of the episode doesn't mean they aren't going to reconcile. There's still hope.
Spoiler:
Or he has her murdered or "suicided" and gets the grieving widower sympathy vote. However, my money's on Frank announcing Claire as his "running mate." Claire wants power, and he'll give it to her to retain his own.

Carlucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:43 AM   #24
nirisahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlucci View Post
Spoiler:
Or he has her murdered or "suicided" and gets the grieving widower sympathy vote. However, my money's on Frank announcing Claire as his "running mate." Claire wants power, and he'll give it to her to retain his own.
Interesting supposition. I wouldn't mind seeing how that would play out.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:16 PM   #25
JETarpon

That would be unconstitutional, unless Claire is not a resident of South Carolina.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:32 PM   #26
bsnelson
I'm an Android, baby

Can we just admit that there are going to be full season spoilers beyond this point? I'll put some space before I begin:

Maybe I'm just too, I don't know, pedantic or something, but I just don't see a clean way to resolve Claire and Frank splitting up. I've seen the first two seasons three times each, and everything that's happened across the three seasons has built up to this, and Claire is done. Surely, the fact that it is now completely clear that Frank is gay (or at least a Kinsey Five or so) was a major factor in her leaving. The humiliation over the whole ambassador thing (despite the fact that she brought that on herself) and her resulting loss of power, means that they are no longer (and IMO, can never be) the "power equals" again.

As for Carlucci's idea, to me, that would go against the integrity (such that it is, come on, don't laugh ) of the show too much. Peter's murder was a stretch, but whacking the first lady? No.

It's over, folks.

And since nobody else has mentioned it yet: I was disappointed that they spent so much time in the last episode resolving the Rachael/Doug storyline. The resolution itself was OK, but it took too long and had too little benefit. Having said that, it's the thing that will set Doug free emotionally, so I guess it was needed.

Still, it's over, folks.

Brad

Old 03-03-2015, 12:40 PM   #27
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

I am up to episode 5.

can't wait to read this thread....

TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:51 PM   #28
Gunnyman
Just a boring dude

I gotta wonder if Frank and Meechum still had trysts.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:52 PM   #29
Hcour

Whether there will be another season or not, I don't know, but clearly (to moi, anyway) there is meant to be. It ended much too abruptly. "I'm leaving you, Francis." Bang. Over. There has to be some kind of denouement, there was none. This was meant as a "cliffhanger" season finale, not a series finale.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:05 PM   #30
Carlucci
Hiding The Decline

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETarpon View Post
That would be unconstitutional, unless Claire is not a resident of South Carolina.
She now resides at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave, Washington DC. Nobody would challenge that. And there's precedence with Dick Cheney changing his residence to Wyoming just before being put on the ticket.

Unless RW wants off the show, I too doubt they would kill her. The show has always been about the dynamics of an elite power couple. Which is why I think it's far more likely she'll get the VP nom.

If one assumes that Claire honestly wants to end the marriage, then Frank's re-election would certainly be doomed. But, like everything else they have ever done, it's a power play. I think she's using the marriage itself as a bargaining chip, and doesn't intend to leave Frank, but does intend to force him to add her to the ticket. That's the motive for her refusing to continue playing the dutiful wife on the campaign trail. And what choice would he have? They hit us over the head repeatedly with just how much more popular she is than Frank, and she could destroy Jackie in the VP debates. I salivate thinking about the potential for treachery and distrust in S4 with her as VP, and still wanting more, while Frank struggles to control her and simultaneously further his agenda. And if they really ever do completely turn on each other, hold on to your freakin' hats!

If this is the end of the show (and as of this writing, no announcement for Season 4 has been made), I will be bitterly disappointed. We need to see the "House of Cards" fall, with preferably the duo paying for their crimes, or at least leaving office with a legacy of failure and scandal.

Carlucci is offline   Reply With Quote