TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:55 AM   #211
chrispitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by dglion View Post
Wanna hear something funny?

After a solid month of dealing with TWC and TiVo involving 3 Roamio replacements, 16 cablecards and 2 tuning adapters, I finally got a fix this morning that allowed my Roamio to finish downloading my channel lineup for the first time. For a brief time I could actually see all my channels and then I went to Tivo Central and discovered the infamous C133 error. Per TiVo's troubleshooting tips, I ran Guided Setup only to be told by TiVo's help line that they had a major server crash and there was no way out of Guided Setup until they got the server back up. I have a totally useless Roamio again!!!! (My reliable, 7 yr old S3 is the only thing keeping me sane right now.)
I'm glad I'm not the only one this kind of crap happens to. Good luck.
chrispitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:57 AM   #212
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Ok this is stupid! You can't even cancel a recording because of this? It's ridiculous that the UI is so heavily dependent on the internet connection. I understand search, but you should still be able to do something as basic as cancel a recording.

On the plus side the ads are still working.
So, I'm seeing a clear pattern emerging here:

[/start observations & some ranting]
So many respected members chiming in (I won't count myself), and this is the first we are ALL realizing that migrating to Roamio, leads us to find out, for the first time, being now, only due to this service blackout, that the old saying about no active realtime constant internet, or an issue on the other end of things (TiVo, the company) turns the Premiere into a brick with only basic DVR functionality, making the Premiere A BETTER PLATFORM, AND THE ROAMIO, WORST POSSIBLE ONE EVER DEVISED???

I'm starting to feel like this situation, which pulls the wool from our eyes, and exposes things for what they really are, is a blessing, maybe a holiday miracle!

I didn't get to lifetime my Roamios today because of this.

Those who have, or have entered into a monthly contract: HAVE A 30-DAY MONEY BACK GUARANTEE
What if a natural disaster somewhere AROUND the country, takes out internet service for weeks? It happens! How will you like the Roamio then?

What if cyber-attacks cripple the internet? How will you like it then?
I think people should be turning their focus towards this, and if you can, and if you are not OK with all the things that can put your Roamio into its current state, SPEAK WITH YOUR WALLETS AND GET YOUR MONEY BACK.

I'm kicking myself for not opting out of their new terms on litigation, and giving up the means I could have kept, to expose, what I consider a complete and utter FRAUD!

Of course, TiVo did as they always do, and set the new terms to cover their backside, and bare ours, before the launch of a product, which they did not state that now we just have to bend over and take it, if we don't dance to their choice of song, which is the worst one ever wrote!
[/end observations and some rating]

Southern NV, still down, C133, no service connections, nada.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:00 AM   #213
rjrustia

C133 gone. Manual connection to mothership successful. Discovery Bar still up. I'm afraid to say it, but I think (hope) it's back up here in North Central FL. (fingers crossed)
rjrustia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:02 AM   #214
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispitude View Post
I'll repeat what others have said (just so I feel better).

First, in our company's helpdesk, they have large monitors hung from the ceiling with realtime status/ping displays to all the major servers in the company's extended geographical network. As soon as anything goes red, a ticket is automatically generated, and they get people on it. If TiVo's servers are so essential to the function of their DVR, they should have the same thing, and (as others have said) they should note such problems proactively on their website and in their phone support menu.

Second, why in the WORLD is a DVR so dependent on an Internet connection? All that should matter is that a connection is successful at least often enough to keep the guide data supplied. Beyond that, all other data should be optional. What if my Internet provider (or ANY provider node between me and TiVo) is having its own issues unrelated to the TiVo servers? What about power outages, for folks with generators who can stay powered while the outside world is kaput?
Amen! If I had seen your post, I could've held back the rant a few posts ahead, or at least some of it! to you! to TiVo!
Old 12-04-2013, 05:05 AM   #215
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

C133 gone here too (it was there about 30 minutes ago when I woke up).

But, as others have posted, the C133 has been in and out all night (obviously TiVo is working to correct the problem and hasn't been having much success).

A question though -- had the C133 errors last night while watching recorded shows. I was able to delete the shows as we finished them. Others here have posted they can't delete during a C133 event. Why is that?

...I didn't try scheduling a recording during the C133 event, I don't know if that would have worked.
DeltaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:12 AM   #216
rjrustia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaOne View Post
C133 gone here too (it was there about 30 minutes ago when I woke up).

But, as others have posted, the C133 has been in and out all night (obviously TiVo is working to correct the problem and hasn't been having much success).

A question though -- had the C133 errors last night while watching recorded shows. I was able to delete the shows as we finished them. Others here have posted they can't delete during a C133 event. Why is that?

...I didn't try scheduling a recording during the C133 event, I don't know if that would have worked.
The problem was you couldn't delete a show while it was still recording.

BTW, still up (20 min and counting).
rjrustia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:36 AM   #217
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

1 HOUR minute mark with:

NO C133
1st service connection (manual) COMPLETED!
NO C133
2nd service connection (manual) FAILED!
NO C133
2nd service connection (manual) 2nd attempt COMPLETED!
NO C133
3rd service connection (manual) COMPLETED! (2 consecutive connections!)
NO C133

That's what I'd call a good status report for being up, properly done!
(So what if it's mine? I've been up for 36 hours!)

It will take two consecutive completed service connections to:
clear your logfile backlog
begin properly repopulating the guide
ensure GC completes (Garbage Collection)

Some of these mostly-hidden operations may only apply to Premieres and older platforms (I honestly don't know the full amount of what no longer resides on a Roamio).

Report from Southern NV

Good luck, everybody! - Don't forget to get your money back while you still can, if applicable!

Last edited by nooneuknow : 12-04-2013 at 05:43 AM. Reason: text formatting
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:28 AM   #218
atmuscarella

I have watch the posts about TiVo's server outage with some amusement.

Yes we lost some functionality for a few hours. I understand that for some people it was a pain and if you actually needed/wanted some of the functionality that was disabled, I can understand being unhappy. But honestly I watch the same shows I was going to watch and my Roamio recorded the same shows it was supposed to without issue which is the primary function of a DVR. I looked this morning and it appears my Podcasts downloaded last night like usual and everything appears to be back to normal.

I have had my ISP be down for much longer periods which results in the same issues with my TiVos plus significantly disrupts me in many more ways.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:41 AM   #219
mburnno

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
So, I'm seeing a clear pattern emerging here:

[/start observations & some ranting]
So many respected members chiming in (I won't count myself), and this is the first we are ALL realizing that migrating to Roamio, leads us to find out, for the first time, being now, only due to this service blackout, that the old saying about no active realtime constant internet, or an issue on the other end of things (TiVo, the company) turns the Premiere into a brick with only basic DVR functionality, making the Premiere A BETTER PLATFORM, AND THE ROAMIO, WORST POSSIBLE ONE EVER DEVISED???

I'm starting to feel like this situation, which pulls the wool from our eyes, and exposes things for what they really are, is a blessing, maybe a holiday miracle!

I didn't get to lifetime my Roamios today because of this.

Those who have, or have entered into a monthly contract: HAVE A 30-DAY MONEY BACK GUARANTEE
What if a natural disaster somewhere AROUND the country, takes out internet service for weeks? It happens! How will you like the Roamio then?

What if cyber-attacks cripple the internet? How will you like it then?
I think people should be turning their focus towards this, and if you can, and if you are not OK with all the things that can put your Roamio into its current state, SPEAK WITH YOUR WALLETS AND GET YOUR MONEY BACK.

I'm kicking myself for not opting out of their new terms on litigation, and giving up the means I could have kept, to expose, what I consider a complete and utter FRAUD!

Of course, TiVo did as they always do, and set the new terms to cover their backside, and bare ours, before the launch of a product, which they did not state that now we just have to bend over and take it, if we don't dance to their choice of song, which is the worst one ever wrote!
[/end observations and some rating]

Southern NV, still down, C133, no service connections, nada.
Amen for your post brother!!!! I have been very vocal about the new Roamio and how crappy the new product was when it first arrived out the door. But every time I vented about it on this forum I was shot down by someone making excuses for Tivo. I wish I had canceled my service before locking in to a one year contract. I will say what I have said in the past, Tivo has no excuse for putting such a crappy product on the market without testing it first.

I don't want to hear from people that they are working out the kinks or any of that BS. When you pay anywhere from $300 - $500 for a box you want it to work period and you want the Tech support to not feed you a bunch of BS of how they don't support switches and hub. Who in the F**k doesn't support their product using a switch or a hub and then blame your network when they know full well that is not the problem. Comcast X1 platform is looking mighty good wright now. I am sure Comcast has their problems but at least they will give you a service credit on your bill. Try getting one from Tivo for what happen last night and see what they tell you. Any how I finish with my rant and I hope people see Tivo for what they have became.
mburnno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:15 AM   #220
nyjklein
J-E-T-S JetsJetsJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
Yes, more than amusing. In a major Internet outage caused by a natural disaster or cyber attack, I think our TiVos losing some functionality will be the least of our worries.

Jeff
nyjklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:22 AM   #221
chiguy50

Quote:

Yes we lost some functionality for a few hours. I understand that for some people it was a pain and if you actually needed/wanted some of the functionality that was disabled, I can understand being unhappy. But honestly I watch the same shows I was going to watch and my Roamio recorded the same shows it was supposed to without issue which is the primary function of a DVR. I looked this morning and it appears my Podcasts downloaded last night like usual and everything appears to be back to normal.

I have had my ISP be down for much longer periods which results in the same issues with my TiVos plus significantly disrupts me in many more ways.
Thank you for that perspective from the real world.

I hate, hate, hate seeing the C133 error on my TiVo's, and I fully agree that TiVo absolutely must address their lack of preparedness for these (admittedly very rare) service outages or at the very least provide more proactive notification to users of system issues and their status. But nothing's perfect, s**t happens, and life goes on.

On a related note, my wife forgot to take out the garbage this morning and I'm thinking of kicking her to the curb.
chiguy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:22 AM   #222
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbelcher View Post
Margret just sent out two tweets;
1) expects services restored by morning
2) agreed to look into adding a network status to tivo.com
Notably absent was

3) Work to make the DVR's not dependent on TiVo's servers for basic functionality like stopping recordings...
Old 12-04-2013, 07:24 AM   #223
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Ok this is stupid! You can't even cancel a recording because of this?
Dan, I posted about that yesterday, many hours ago... and several times!!! Wake up!!
Old 12-04-2013, 07:26 AM   #224
hooper

Quote:

I couldn't use the Roamio at all. It kept going into blue circles when I tried to navigate anywhere. Everyone who had premieres remembers the whole stops responding issue. It was this but even worse. 1 remote press would lock up the box for 5 minutes or more. Then it just stopped responding completely.

I wouldn't care about the outage if this wasn't the case. I had to reboot with the ethernet cable unplugged (while things were being recorded) to use the box.

That is a major problem.
hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:31 AM   #225
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyjklein View Post
Yes, more than amusing. In a major Internet outage caused by a natural disaster or cyber attack, I think our TiVos losing some functionality will be the least of our worries.

Jeff
A natural disaster hundreds of miles away, or far more away, could easily only affect your internet, which is life-support for a Roamio, as only this sustained outage across the country, just being a failure on TiVo's end, revealed to a great many, for the very first time, ever.

Cyber Attacks are going on all the time, sometimes do cause us to lose our connection to the internet, and/or interrupt internet traffic.

My beef is that the Roamio is a hybrid cloud DVR. If I had known this, I'd have lost interest, and not purchased any. Now we know why we can just slap in a blank drive up to 3TB, and it will run guided setup, and work.

Some things about empty partitions that were analyzed in the Roamio HDD Upgrade thread, now make sense why they stay empty. The data that used to be there stays "in the cloud", and vulnerable to being inaccessible, under more conditions than I have any energy left to list, after being a self-volunteer to monitor this outage, from beginning to end.

Until this, many, if not most, that know, or care about, what typically goes on in a TiVo, made an incorrect assumption that the data not on the drive was being written to internal flash memory. Apparently, this was only partially correct.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 12-04-2013 at 07:35 AM. Reason: added a few lines
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:50 AM   #226
mburnno

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiguy50 View Post
On a related note, my wife forgot to take out the garbage this morning and I'm thinking of kicking her to the curb.
Let me know how that works out for you. If it works you may be on to something
Old 12-04-2013, 07:52 AM   #227
mburnno

Quote:
My beef is that the Roamio is a hybrid cloud DVR. If I had known this, I'd have lost interest, and not purchased any.
Yes, this would of have been good for Tivo to tell people this but if they did would they have sold as many DVR's?
Old 12-04-2013, 07:58 AM   #228
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooper View Post
I couldn't use the Roamio at all. It kept going into blue circles when I tried to navigate anywhere. Everyone who had premieres remembers the whole stops responding issue. It was this but even worse. 1 remote press would lock up the box for 5 minutes or more. Then it just stopped responding completely.

I wouldn't care about the outage if this wasn't the case. I had to reboot with the ethernet cable unplugged (while things were being recorded) to use the box.

That is a major problem.
That is interesting I had no issues using my Roamio last night at all. Watched and deleted several podcast and several shows, went through all of the menus just to see what wasn't working, used the guide several times to read info on shows (wanted to make sure NCIS etc. were really re-runs) all while various shows were recording. No blue circles or slow downs at all. I am OTA only so maybe that makes a deference.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:10 AM   #229
Beryl

Quote:
Margret just sent out two tweets; 1) expects services restored by morning 2) agreed to look into adding a network status to tivo.com
When this all started, I requested the latter via help ticket and on their forum. It makes NO sense for them to let the rumor mill provide system status to their customers. I'm less concerned about an elongated outage than I am their lack of acknowledgement of that outage.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:11 AM   #230
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispitude View Post
Second, why in the WORLD is a DVR so dependent on an Internet connection? All that should matter is that a connection is successful at least often enough to keep the guide data supplied. Beyond that, all other data should be optional. What if my Internet provider (or ANY provider node between me and TiVo) is having its own issues unrelated to the TiVo servers? What about power outages, for folks with generators who can stay powered while the outside world is kaput?
Because, as noted upthread, Tivo is apparently sending certain actions in realtime to their servers, for their own analytics, that they then sell to others interested in what we're doing (big surprise). Or it's the usual case with them where the code was outsourced to chimps that weren't fed enough bananas.

The latter seems more likely when you can't cancel or schedule recordings IMO.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:05 AM   #231
cherry ghost

Quote:
Ok this is stupid! You can't even cancel a recording because of this?

Yes you can, through the Guide
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:18 AM   #232
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Because, as noted upthread, Tivo is apparently sending certain actions in realtime to their servers, for their own analytics, that they then sell to others interested in what we're doing (big surprise).
That is highly doubtful to be the reason for not being able to cancel recordings. Especially considering you can cancel them from live tv. It is obviously just an error in implementation of the HD UI.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:39 AM   #233
djwilso

Margret says it should be fixed (for now):

https://twitter.com/tivodesign/statu...57641018699777
djwilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:53 AM   #234
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwilso View Post

I have a new Roamio + first setup and it just started downloading the update, would not do that last night so TiVo servers now may be working.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:55 AM   #235
jwbelcher

Quote:

In the firm I work for there are many partners that would NEVER accept blame or offer an apology for a failure. I really appreciate Margret's transparency. Honestly, without her involvement, I would have a different opinion on keeping this box.
Sony SAT-T60 + Turbonet (Retired)
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:18 AM   #236
unclespam

Post Count

Quote:
A natural disaster hundreds of miles away, or far more away, could easily only affect your internet, which is life-support for a Roamio, as only this sustained outage across the country, just being a failure on TiVo's end, revealed to a great many, for the very first time, ever.

Cyber Attacks are going on all the time, sometimes do cause us to lose our connection to the internet, and/or interrupt internet traffic.

My beef is that the Roamio is a hybrid cloud DVR. If I had known this, I'd have lost interest, and not purchased any. Now we know why we can just slap in a blank drive up to 3TB, and it will run guided setup, and work.

Some things about empty partitions that were analyzed in the Roamio HDD Upgrade thread, now make sense why they stay empty. The data that used to be there stays "in the cloud", and vulnerable to being inaccessible, under more conditions than I have any energy left to list, after being a self-volunteer to monitor this outage, from beginning to end.

Until this, many, if not most, that know, or care about, what typically goes on in a TiVo, made an incorrect assumption that the data not on the drive was being written to internal flash memory. Apparently, this was only partially correct.
Hey Guy...I just tried to PM you to buy one of your boxes, but since my post count is below 10, I can't do that....so would you PM me so we can communicate?

Many thanks!
unclespam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:24 AM   #237
Time_Lord

Quote:
In the firm I work for there are many partners that would NEVER accept blame or offer an apology for a failure. I really appreciate Margret's transparency. Honestly, without her involvement, I would have a different opinion on keeping this box.
What transparency? All she said is that the problem should be resolved and sorry it broke.

Transparency would be to give an overview of what happened, why it happened and some sort of update while the problem was occurring.

-TL
Time_Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:25 AM   #238
unclespam

New Here

Greetings All:

I have been a stalker on here until now, so I'll give my two cents to get my post count up.

I had the C133 error last night and came here to make sure that I wasn't alone. My Tivo Mini DID work through the outage, though in a limited way just like my Premier.

I have had two forced, successful full-cycle network connections to Tivo.

Interestingly, the latest episode of Sons of Anarchy showed up on the Tivo as Not Available was available on Amazon Video, so I purchased it there. That was about an hour ago. As of right now, it still hasn't started downloading on the Tivo (any advice on forcing the download would be most welcome!)

All other functionality seems to be back.

To all who have posted here with updates, thank you for your contributions. I am sure there are thousands of folks like me who benefit from it and stay under the radar.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:34 AM   #239
pgoelz

Quote:

Am I the only one who is offended that I apparently have to sign up for a TWITTER account to get the straight dope on the status of my Roamio's issues? Good grief, a simple post IN THIS THREAD from Tivo last night would have made a lot of us a lot more willing to simply sit back and wait for it to be fixed. ESPECIALLY when up until last night, if you called about a C133 error, it was blamed on your local LAN, and NEVER accepted as a Tivo issue.... even in the face of overwhelming evidence that it was NOT a LAN issue.

We paid for the device, and we pay monthly for service. For that monthly service fee, I think Tivo owes us a bit more transparency than we have seen to date. Unless we have a Twitter account, apparently.

Or is this forum simply not the place for status and / or dialog with Tivo?

Paul
pgoelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:36 AM   #240
unclespam

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoelz View Post
Am I the only one who is offended that I apparently have to sign up for a TWITTER account to get the straight dope on the status of my Roamio's issues? Good grief, a simple post IN THIS THREAD from Tivo last night would have made a lot of us a lot more willing to simply sit back and wait for it to be fixed. ESPECIALLY when up until last night, if you called about a C133 error, it was blamed on your local LAN, and NEVER accepted as a Tivo issue.

We paid for the device, and we pay monthly for service. For that monthly service fee, I think Tivo owes us a bit more transparency than we have seen to date. Unless we have a Twitter account, apparently.

Or is this forum simply not the place for status and / or dialog with Tivo?

Paul
Good Point, Paul! My first instinct was to check the Tivo website (which is silent on the issue) then come to the forums where I found this. It didn't even occur to me to go to Twitter, although I have done that for Netflix and Slingbox issues.