TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:08 AM   #181
rgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbelcher View Post
Let's hope there wasn't a major database loss. Recovering all the guide data to allow services to resume could take a while. A few months ago Slingbox screwed up / corrupted their remote control database. It took several weeks for them to restore all of that.

If Tivo is going the way of services they better have more redundancy across the US. Having all subscribers hit one "mother-ship" server is a complete lack of planning and serious recipe for disaster. Minimally there should be a fail-over site; maybe they should start looking into AWS.
Exactly. But still say that first fail-over should be to go back to what worked on the series3 and before - use the local, downloaded database. Sure, I won't be able to search for programs I could download, but at least I could search for the channels I receive for almost the next 2 weeks. Which is 98% of what I'm looking for.

This is a huge failure on TiVo's part, and there should be some recourse for failure to provide the service subscribed to, whether on a monthly or lifetime basis. How long does it have to be out before they have to refund some money? And how would that work for us lifetime subscribers?
rgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:10 AM   #182
jwbelcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertswinter View Post
Agreed … does someone know how to post to endadget and slashgear and others. It is newsworthy.
Yep :

http://www.engadget.com/about/tips/
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:10 AM   #183
robertswinter

Additionally (though marginal ~$0.50 per day) user should be credited for this day and any additional days we are paying for.
robertswinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:14 AM   #184
robertswinter

Posted on Engadget. Hope others do as well….
robertswinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:15 AM   #185
jwbelcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr View Post
Exactly. But still say that first fail-over should be to go back to what worked on the series3 and before - use the local, downloaded database. Sure, I won't be able to search for programs I could download, but at least I could search for the channels I receive for almost the next 2 weeks. Which is 98% of what I'm looking for.

This is a huge failure on TiVo's part, and there should be some recourse for failure to provide the service subscribed to, whether on a monthly or lifetime basis. How long does it have to be out before they have to refund some money? And how would that work for us lifetime subscribers?
You bet, right now you can't even view upcoming episodes of programs from your local guide data and don't even try to setup a new season pass. The joys of the cloud. Unreal.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:16 AM   #186
Devx

While I'm a bit shocked that the service is still down since I can't remember a Tivo outage ever being this long, that's not what I find most disappointing. I expect occasional outages, it happens, so it probably comes in third with communication second.

As others have mentioned, what really gets me is how dependent the Roamio is on the Tivo servers. Being one of those that rarely saw the C133 error, I either wasn't aware or had forgotten how bad it can be. I'm thinking maybe I answered the latest survey incorrectly on the thing I would most like to change about the Roamio. It would be preferable to remove the dependency entirely but at the least, there should be a grace period before the box goes into lockdown mode. Then, if there was a service outage, impact would be minimized and some might not even notice other than the absence of the discovery bar. For example, as nooneuknow mentioned, using the Premiere in SDUI mode has no problem at all with basic DVR functions. Since the Roamio has no SDUI mode, there is no workaround other than to wait for Tivo to restore service.
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:25 AM   #187
jwbelcher

Margret just sent out two tweets;
1) expects services restored by morning
2) agreed to look into adding a network status to tivo.com
Old 12-04-2013, 02:29 AM   #188
dglion

Wanna hear something funny?

After a solid month of dealing with TWC and TiVo involving 3 Roamio replacements, 16 cablecards and 2 tuning adapters, I finally got a fix this morning that allowed my Roamio to finish downloading my channel lineup for the first time. For a brief time I could actually see all my channels and then I went to Tivo Central and discovered the infamous C133 error. Per TiVo's troubleshooting tips, I ran Guided Setup only to be told by TiVo's help line that they had a major server crash and there was no way out of Guided Setup until they got the server back up. I have a totally useless Roamio again!!!! (My reliable, 7 yr old S3 is the only thing keeping me sane right now.)
dglion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:30 AM   #189
jwbelcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devx View Post
Since the Roamio has no SDUI mode, there is no workaround other than to wait for Tivo to restore service.
Attempted the thumbs up / down, pause pause thing on Roamio. It acted like it was "processing" with the waiting graphic. Then just immediately went back to Tivo Central. I'd bet money that SDUI is in there, but just blocked on Roamio.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:36 AM   #190
Icarus

I managed to force a connection, all other attempts seem to be failing at one point or another. Sometimes in the preparing step, sometimes when requesting account status, etc.

Looks like I just forced a 2nd connection .. it's "Loading info" now.

I'm still seeing C133 in TiVo Central. No change even after restarting the HDUI a couple of times.

-David
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:47 AM   #191
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
FYI while the Netflix access from My Shows is not accessible it does still work from "Find TV, Movies, & Videos". Watching Netflix right now without issues on my Roamio Pro with C133 errors still present.
None of the streaming services are even listed for me.

Still getting a C133 in TiVo Central, and no OTT services, but I was able to successfully complete a network connection.

I wonder how the MSO partners are reacting to this extended outage?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:50 AM   #192
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertswinter View Post
Additionally (though marginal ~$0.50 per day) user should be credited for this day and any additional days we are paying for.
While I fully agree with that, I'm sure those who paid for lifetime product service would be excluded.

What are they going to do, make the PLS auto-destruct they secretly slipped in hold out longer before a catastrophic failure ends the life of the product? (kidding, for those who can't tell).

Still no improvement, or even a flicker of the C133 error going away, here in NV.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:55 AM   #193
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
None of the streaming services are even listed for me.

Still getting a C133 in TiVo Central, and no OTT services, but I was able to successfully complete a network connection.

I wonder how the MSO partners are reacting to this extended outage?
Has there been a confirmation that the MSO boxes are without service?

I'd assumed, from launch, that they'd be on their own, properly designed server/network/internet infrastructure. If they are down too, this WILL be in tomorrow's (today's) news!
Old 12-04-2013, 03:01 AM   #194
jwbelcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
I'd assumed, from launch, that they'd be on their own, properly designed server/network/internet infrastructure. If they are down too, this WILL be in tomorrow's (today's) news!
Do MSO boxes even require a Ethernet / Internet connection? I'd really expect them to be fed from the head-end, maybe docsis, systems like a traditional cable box. Back in the day, I loved DirecTivo since it didn't require a phone connection to download guide data.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:06 AM   #195
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devx View Post
While I'm a bit shocked that the service is still down since I can't remember a Tivo outage ever being this long, that's not what I find most disappointing. I expect occasional outages, it happens, so it probably comes in third with communication second.

As others have mentioned, what really gets me is how dependent the Roamio is on the Tivo servers. Being one of those that rarely saw the C133 error, I either wasn't aware or had forgotten how bad it can be. I'm thinking maybe I answered the latest survey incorrectly on the thing I would most like to change about the Roamio. It would be preferable to remove the dependency entirely but at the least, there should be a grace period before the box goes into lockdown mode. Then, if there was a service outage, impact would be minimized and some might not even notice other than the absence of the discovery bar. For example, as nooneuknow mentioned, using the Premiere in SDUI mode has no problem at all with basic DVR functions. Since the Roamio has no SDUI mode, there is no workaround other than to wait for Tivo to restore service.
I started off the day expecting to activate my hard-fought-for Roamios, then decided not a good day to do it, for obvious reasons.

Mid-day, I'm posting I'm thinking of returning them, instead.

After reading this post, and dealing with this on Premieres all day, after just making the sale of my LT HDs, I realize THINGS CAN BE WORSE, being a Roamio-owner!!!

I might just stop getting the Premiere boxes and packaging out of the attic, keep the things, listed in my sig, and tell Best Buy to tell TiVo, to take their Roamios & shove-em, and forget any new subscriptions!

Yeah, I know, don't shoot the retailer, they just sell the things....
Old 12-04-2013, 03:12 AM   #196
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Do MSO boxes even require a Ethernet / Internet connection? I'd really expect them to be fed from the head-end, maybe docsis, systems like a traditional cable box. Back in the day, I loved DirecTivo since it didn't require a phone connection to download guide data.
Good question! I thought the guy who would know joined us a few posts back, bringing up the MSO partners, which I somehow didn't think about all day...
Old 12-04-2013, 03:20 AM   #197
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Quote:
Good question! I thought the guy who would know joined us a few posts back, bringing up the MSO partners, which I somehow didn't think about all day...
http://www.rcn.com/tivo/faqs/
What do I need to get TiVo Premiere from RCN?

You’ll need our Digital TV service to power your TiVo Premiere. Also, you’ll need RCN High-Speed Internet, along with either an in-home wireless network or a hard-wired Internet connection. If you wish to connect your TiVo Premiere to your wireless network, you must also have either a MoCA bridge or a TiVo Wireless Network Adapter, both of which you can get through RCN.

CoxInPHX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 03:53 AM   #198
notyou

Hey, I think we're back up! (12:53AM PST San Jose)
notyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:13 AM   #199
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
http://www.rcn.com/tivo/faqs/
What do I need to get TiVo Premiere from RCN?

You’ll need our Digital TV service to power your TiVo Premiere. Also, you’ll need RCN High-Speed Internet, along with either an in-home wireless network or a hard-wired Internet connection. If you wish to connect your TiVo Premiere to your wireless network, you must also have either a MoCA bridge or a TiVo Wireless Network Adapter, both of which you can get through RCN.
As always, thanks for the info, and link. (Now, stand back, or you might get something on you).

[/begin rant]
Well, that just leaves me dying to know how TiVo's MSO partner Roamios have been doing for the past (just a bit short of) 24 hours.

I don't know if I'll be returning the Roamios I picked up, in a PM+GC, PM+GC, PM+GC chain of purchases, or feeling like it's worth the money, finding various creative ways to destroy them, make a video of each method, and start a YouTube video series, making sure to send TiVo, Inc. copies first...

If they've suffered any less than retail has, if I were me, I'd steer clear of me, when the verdict comes in on that, if they've been prioritized to the extent of keeping retail down and out, as the cost of doing so.

How could I spend so much time on here, reading so much up to, during, and beyond launch, only to find out about the Achilles Heel of the Roamios, which is so far worse than even the Premieres (which I knew about right away), even exists? How did I miss the thread that tells of the Roamios not even maintaining the most simple of DVR core functions, in the event that it doesn't have constant and contiguous infusions of life breathed into it via something as easily disrupted as internet service? That's not even going into the realm of TiVo's end being down like this.
[/end rant]

Still not let up at all, in southern Nevada. Not even a flicker.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:17 AM   #200
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

I just came back on, moments ago.... And it's out again. Lol
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:26 AM   #201
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by notyou View Post
Hey, I think we're back up! (12:53AM PST San Jose)
Uh, no offense intended, at all, seriously, the thread has been peppered with optimistic posts for the whole duration, from some areas that apparently are getting intermittent bursts of connectivity, followed by, "nope, down again". I think the "temporary zones of hope" may be moving around, just like internet outages can, or it's just random "luck" (just doesn't seem to be the right word).

It would be nice if people gave things at least 5 minutes, see if they can also make a manual TiVo Service Connection, from the Network menu, then see if it completes, then see if the C133 is back, then post "I'm up here in, (insert general location), for (insert time you waited to post), then take one last look before hitting post.

I was hoping in the time it took me to post this, that maybe I'd see something, anything, change... NOPE! Still no change in Southern NV.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:34 AM   #202
notyou

C133 error (Problem with service) BIG EXCLAMATION POINT !

Quote:
Uh, no offense intended, at all, seriously, the thread has been peppered with optimistic posts for the whole duration, from some areas that apparently are getting intermittent bursts of connectivity, followed by, "nope, down again". I think the "temporary zones of hope" may be moving around, just like internet outages can, or it's just random "luck" (just doesn't seem to be the right word).

It would be nice if people gave things at least 5 minutes, see if they can also make a manual TiVo Service Connection, from the Network menu, then see if it completes, then see if the C133 is back, then post "I'm up here in, (insert general location), for (insert time you waited to post), then take one last look before hitting post.

I was hoping in the time it took me to post this, that maybe I'd see something, anything, change... NOPE! Still no change in Southern NV.
Sorry, you're right. I'm still having issues with my Stream which was all I really wanted to play with tonight.

I was actually in the middle of posting my similar sob story along with two tweets I sent to @tivodesign, which appears to be the most knowledgable source of info at the moment (thanks Margret!):

Quote:
@tivodesign Thx for updates. *Hate* that Twitter is now defacto CS. Oh well. You need to give Ops have the @TiVo account password though.

@tivodesign And yeah, if you're going to be so cloud-dependent, then emulate status.aws.amazon.com or status.twitter.com please :-/
BTW, I just noticed your handle. I feel a certain kinship with ya man. :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
notyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:42 AM   #203
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Sorry, you're right. I'm still having issues with my Stream which was all I really wanted to play with tonight.

I was actually in the middle of posting my similar sob story along with two tweets I sent to @tivodesign, which appears to be the most knowledgable source of info at the moment (thanks Margret!):
No need to apologize. It was a suggestion for all, which I've been holding onto for awhile, and figured 24 hours was long enough.
Quote:
BTW, I just noticed your handle. I feel a certain kinship with ya man. :-)
BTW, I thought the same thing! A little humor getting between all my p***, vinegar, and vitriol is a much welcome reprieve.

C133 watch: No change, down, Southern NV.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:51 AM   #204
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
/subscribe. My Elite is afflicted too.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:59 AM   #205
Dan203
Super Moderator

Ok this is stupid! You can't even cancel a recording because of this? It's ridiculous that the UI is so heavily dependent on the internet connection. I understand search, but you should still be able to do something as basic as cancel a recording.

On the plus side the ads are still working.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:01 AM   #206
rjrustia

Still out here in FL. Wonder what the problem is that would be so catastrophic? Wonder if IT is on the same work schedule as CS.
rjrustia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:15 AM   #207
mattycb

Ok gang I got up today (Tuesday) planning to do another test to get my N adapter working. You see my G adapter was having no problems ... until today.

Now I'm REALLY annoyed. I was convinced the C133 was N adapter related because the error stopped when I swapped in my G. Now I get the C133 on my G and I'm really gonna pop up a blood vessel if I find that overnight the machine doesn't update the program guide. I already went four days last week with no program guide.

It's not like some of us don't have an ongoing financial relationship with TiVo. I pay them $20 a month for this particular box (for the program guide) and I expect it to work. I've been a TiVo user at least 10 years and have never encountered this level of technical incompetence.

And if anyone here doesn't believe that this is the result of the recent upgrade, I've got a bridge to sell you.

Sorry for the rant but this is getting old.

Matt B
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mattycb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:23 AM   #208
mbernste

Here it is 5:21 AM eastern and the C133 persists. This is the longest outage I can remember. Interestingly enough the "blue light" came on and Tekzilla downloaded without an issue, so there are some signs of life.

TiVo should have done better capacity planning when it came to their servers and the Roamio. Like others have said, a status page would be very helpful and make the customer support queues decrease.
mbernste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:42 AM   #209
Dan203
Super Moderator

It's been dropping in/out all night.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:55 AM   #210
chrispitude

I'll repeat what others have said (just so I feel better).

First, in our company's helpdesk, they have large monitors hung from the ceiling with realtime status/ping displays to all the major servers in the company's extended geographical network. As soon as anything goes red, a ticket is automatically generated, and they get people on it. If TiVo's servers are so essential to the function of their DVR, they should have the same thing, and (as others have said) they should note such problems proactively on their website and in their phone support menu.

Second, why in the WORLD is a DVR so dependent on an Internet connection? All that should matter is that a connection is successful at least often enough to keep the guide data supplied. Beyond that, all other data should be optional. What if my Internet provider (or ANY provider node between me and TiVo) is having its own issues unrelated to the TiVo servers? What about power outages, for folks with generators who can stay powered while the outside world is kaput?
chrispitude is offline   Reply With Quote