TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:11 PM   #31
pgoelz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
Routers that do NAT routing have to keep tables of active connections so they can figure out what goes where. It is quite common for router software to have bugs (Gasp!) that get it confused with lots of connections causing memory leaks and wot-not. That could easily explain rebooting the router fixing things. You could check and see if the router has newer firmware available (but sometimes trying to update firmware just makes things worse :-).
Not directed directly at me, but..... I realize that is a possibility. But why is it ONLY the Roamio that has issues? Before, during and after a C133 episode, ALL other internet devices in the house can go ANYWHERE on the internet at full speed. If the problem is on our end, why can everything except the Roamio deal with it successfully? Our Roamio isn't streaming when it C133s, it is just trying to pull up previews and info. And rebooting the router does NOT always fix it.

Paul

Last edited by pgoelz : 11-28-2013 at 09:17 PM.
pgoelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:16 AM   #32
tomhorsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoelz View Post
But why is it ONLY the Roamio that has issues?
Maybe the Roamio is desperately trying to keep hundreds of connections to different pause ad servers open? :-).
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:41 AM   #33
pgoelz

UPDATE: The next morning, my Roamio is operating normally (no C133s, anyway) but I am still getting 100% packet loss at two hops between me and www.tivo.com. So maybe the packet loss is not related to the issue?

Paul
Old 11-29-2013, 10:29 PM   #34
bradleys
It'll be fine....

I think everything was down for a few hours yesterday.

I noticed, but it really wasn't that big of a deal, just affected the suggestions and other minor functionality.

I wouldn't have even noticed if the IOS app wasn't unable to connect.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:53 AM   #35
tough joe

still getting the c133 error. It is intermittent. it goes away then comes back. like a bad girlfriend. still no TiVo solutions yet ?
tough joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:20 AM   #36
pgoelz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tough joe View Post
still getting the c133 error. It is intermittent. it goes away then comes back. like a bad girlfriend. still no TiVo solutions yet ?
I'm not holding my breath. Except for one post from Tivo Margaret stating that C133 WAS a Tivo issue, in every other contact I have had with Tivo about C133s the CSRs act like they are 100% convinced it is a local networking issue. That or they don't have a clue and are just guessing.

Regardless of where the issue is, it needs to be addressed. If it is a LAN issue, then Tivo needs to be able to deal with it like all the other internet devices I have that are 100% while the Roamio displays C133.

In the mean time, we all need to call Tivo EVERY time we see a C133 so they have a better handle on how prevalent it is.

Paul
Old 11-30-2013, 08:52 AM   #37
Smirks
.:. Hello .:.

It's not a big deal if you want to watch live or recorded TV. The problem is other services such as Netflix or YouTube also don't work when the Roamio is 133ing, even if the local network is working.

Luckily I have a PS3 to use as a backup for those network services, but I still wasted 20 minutes trying to figure out if it was my problem or TiVos. That's also 20 mins where my wife is scowling at me because the kids are in bed and she wants to watch Breaking Bad.
Smirks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 09:31 AM   #38
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirks View Post
It's not a big deal if you want to watch live or recorded TV. The problem is other services such as Netflix or YouTube also don't work when the Roamio is 133ing, even if the local network is working.

Luckily I have a PS3 to use as a backup for those network services, but I still wasted 20 minutes trying to figure out if it was my problem or TiVos. That's also 20 mins where my wife is scowling at me because the kids are in bed and she wants to watch Breaking Bad.
Exactly....that's why I started this thread:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=511834

I mean, you can't even delete a scheduled recording while there is a C133 error.

I sent a tweet to @tivodesign pointing Margaret to that thread because I'd like some kind of explanation from Tivo as to why these services aren't available when the Tivo can't phone home?!?! I mean, not being able to stop a recording is CRAZY!! And I see no reason why I shouldn't be able to load Netflix, Youtube or Comcast VOD during the error.

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:30 AM   #39
Andrewp75

As far as the CSRs are concerned while I am sure there are good ones... Jake is the only totally competent one I've seen recently
Andrewp75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 04:37 PM   #40
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post

Exactly....that's why I started this thread:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=511834

I mean, you can't even delete a scheduled recording while there is a C133 error.

I sent a tweet to @tivodesign pointing Margaret to that thread because I'd like some kind of explanation from Tivo as to why these services aren't available when the Tivo can't phone home?!?! I mean, not being able to stop a recording is CRAZY!! And I see no reason why I shouldn't be able to load Netflix, Youtube or Comcast VOD during the error.

-Kevin
That's because TiVo is "Big Brother" in this scenario.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 04:47 PM   #41
tough joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
That's because TiVo is "Big Brother" in this scenario.
No - Tivo is Skynet
tough joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:51 PM   #42
mattycb

First as has been stated before this is not just a Roamio problem. My Premier had no TV guide for four days because the box could not connect to the server for two weeks AND had the C133.

The only thing that has resolved it for me is replacing the N wireless network adapter with the G. Now my program guide is downloading again and my C133 is gone.

I truly believe the latest code drop from TiVo has changed the way it interacts with N adapters.

Matt B
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mattycb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 09:15 PM   #43
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

My Premiere has had the C133 from time to time, and it has an ethernet connection.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:21 PM   #44
mattycb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
My Premiere has had the C133 from time to time, and it has an ethernet connection.
Rob is your C133 also accompanied by a failure to download the program guide? (Connection interrupted.)

Matt B
Old 12-01-2013, 06:36 AM   #45
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattycb View Post
Rob is your C133 also accompanied by a failure to download the program guide? (Connection interrupted.)
Well, it fails to download, but that's not the error message...IIRC, it makes the initial connection, but it never starts downloading (it says something about "check your internet connection," which I find ironic since it goes through the initial connection handshake successfully, and if I do the "test internet connection" thingie it passes).

I'll pay more attention next time to the details.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:08 AM   #46
pgoelz

FWIW, whenever I have had a C133 error, it ALWAYS passes the network check and will also successfully go through all steps of a forced connection. But the C133 persists.

All this points to an issue on the Tivo server side, so it is very frustrating when you call Tivo and all they do is ask you to reboot everything.... which does not resolve it.

We all need to call Tivo EVERY time it happens so they get a better read on how widespread it is and start looking for the real culprit.

Has anyone else noticed that the C133 never seems to show up DURING playback? Every time I have seen one, it has been while cruising the menus.

Paul
Old 12-01-2013, 08:38 AM   #47
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Has anyone else noticed that the C133 never seems to show up DURING playback? Every time I have seen one, it has been while cruising the menus.
How would you know if you're not in the menus to begin with?
Old 12-01-2013, 08:52 AM   #48
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Certainly, that's sort of by definition. The C133 error means you are in the UI and can't connect with the TiVo servers for all the "extra" info about related shows, for example. The two main possibilities are that the TiVo servers are down or that you have network problems.

The TiVo servers seem to be going down once every week or two. If you are getting C133 errors more often than that, then it's probably in your network.

One non-obvious network problem that can cause C133 errors is your local network's choice of DNS server. Basically every show related movement in the UI (going between shows or folders in "My Shows" for instance, or just going to TiVo Central for Discovery Bar entries) causes a remarkably large number of DNS queries to go out from the TiVo - it was 4-8 in my tests a year ago. If even one of those gets dropped, you'll have delays, and if enough get dropped you'll get C133 errors. Make sure you have a reliable DNS server, preferably local. People who have moved often have problems because they set their DNS server to something appropriate for their old location and forget to change it (in their router).
Old 12-01-2013, 09:01 AM   #49
pgoelz

First of all, I have been assuming that it is at least POSSIBLE that C133s are on my end. Therefore, I have been assuming if that is the case then it would affect other things like Netflix streaming, not just menus. Bad assumption?

As for the DNS server..... interesting. My DNS server is currently set via DHCP from my ISP, which is Comcast. I can try hard coding it in the router to a public DNS server to see if the C133s stop.

You mentioned that the Tivo servers have been going down "once every week or two". That has been my experience too.... the C133s have occurred once every week or two. The confusion is that whenever I call Tivo, they insist everything is fine on their end. They cite as evidence that they would be getting "thousands of calls" if they were down and they are not. Hence my request here that EVERYONE call them EVERY time they see a C133.

If this really IS on Tivo's end, all they have to do is say so and I'll go read a book until it comes back up. Denying it is on their end just confuses the issue.

EDIT: As an experiment, I left my router set to get DNS server info via DHCP but I hard coded the Google Public DNS servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 into the Tivo (which already was set to a static IP). Lets see how it goes.

Paul

Last edited by pgoelz : 12-01-2013 at 09:11 AM.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:16 AM   #50
DigitalDawn

TiVoMargret says C133 is on their end, and everything I've seen here agrees with that. No reason to call TiVo -- just wait it out. See post #14.
DigitalDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:34 AM   #51
pgoelz

Yes, I saw that post. I have tried to contact her privately as well, with no answer so far.

When the CSRs at Tivo state that it DEFINITELY is NOT on Tivo's end, that makes me worry that they are NOT looking into it because they don't see it as a Tivo problem. Hence my somewhat more aggressive stance on this issue. A little better communication would go a long way here.

EDIT: While on the phone to Tivo for a totally unrelated (billing) issue, I mentioned the C133 error. The person I was speaking with told me that they have been VERY aware of the issue "for a long time". She said it was a software problem that they thought they fixed last week but "it came back". They are still working on it. That makes me feel a LOT better. Hopefully it will just go away and we'll never notice its absence

Paul

Last edited by pgoelz : 12-02-2013 at 09:23 AM.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:30 PM   #52
mattycb

I guess it's only me but my inability to download the guide and my C133 problems always coincide. So long as I can get a successful connection to the TiVo service to download the listings (which is NOT the same as doing a test connection -- the former can fail while the latter works) I have zero C133 errors.

I tried static IP on the adapter with a new error popping up -- service not found. So today I try static on adapter AND TiVo box itself.

It is INEXCUSABLE that we should have to go through this without nary an apology from TiVo.

Matt B
Old 12-02-2013, 02:35 PM   #53
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

"Go through this"? Go through what? A slight delay in downloading Guide Data?

I mean yes, it's a problem. But it's so minor a problem, I can't imagine just what it is that we're "going through"! Please let me know immediately, so I will better know the extent of my suffering.

Thank you.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:57 AM   #54
mattycb

Rob thanks for the snark. It's more than a slight delay for some of us. For me it was NO program guide for 4 days and therefore no recording.

What we are "going through" is working through this problem as a community with misdirection from TiVo themselves. The definitive solution should be coming from TiVo, not trial-and-errored by a bunch of us.

Matt B
Old 12-03-2013, 06:44 AM   #55
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Are you sure you're talking about the same thing as the rest of us? This is the first I've seen of anybody having an outage that lasts anywhere near that long...I had one where I missed two days' GD updates, once; every other time it's been within the same day that I've gotten it back.

And I never missed a recording, even when it was down for two days.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:18 PM   #56
MACCTVO

Me too

I've been having this same C133 problem. It started the day after the Fall upgrade came out. I've called TIVO and insisted on a supervisor. He had me reboot everything. Interestingly, usually if I reboot my Comcast Gateway, the problem clears up ... for a while until it happens again. That would make it seem to be my internal network, but 1) I never had this issue until the Fall software upgrade and 2) I have 6-8 other devices on my network (WiFi and Ethernet) and none of them have had any problems at all.

I sure wish this would get fix, since it's most annoying.
MACCTVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:37 PM   #57
chrispitude

Getting the C133 message again. Anyone else?
chrispitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:43 PM   #58
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispitude View Post
Getting the C133 message again. Anyone else?
Yep.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:45 PM   #59
Sixto

TC CLUB MEMBER
Same here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sixto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:39 PM   #60
Jackamus

TC CLUB MEMBER
This has been happening on my series 4 boxes on and off for a couple. Most of the time it resolves itself. However, today, it seems to be going on and on for hours.. Annoying, but oh well.