TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:19 AM   #541
SnakeEyes

Might this be why I got an n17 error right at the first connection step of guided setup tonight for my new roamio?
SnakeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:23 AM   #542
alanpgh

TiVo Margret Schmidt ‏@tivodesign just posted the following on Twitter 15 min. ago:
"It is working for the vast majority, but some are still impacted. (Including one of my boxes!) We're working on it. Sorry."
alanpgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:32 AM   #543
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitter
TiVo: A C133 error may have appeared due to a production update. We apologize for any inconvenience this caused and are working to restore service

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:17 AM   #544
kucharsk

C133 here in CO as well, and mind.tivo.com is still down.

The bad thing is it takes a minute or two for it to time out before it will show you your Now Playing shows because it wants to populate the Discovery bar.

Of course it won't let you change what the bar shows until it connects to the service (sigh.)
kucharsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:44 AM   #545
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
Helpful hint:

Remove the .html when using the above site.

Like this: http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/mind.tivo.com

This gets you a check of the desired "mind.tivo.com" server, as opposed to possibly getting redirected to just "tivo.com".

The .html gets added to the url once the results are available. Including it for your own checks may cause a redirect.
That gives an error 404.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:51 AM   #546
Dan203
Super Moderator

Still not working right for me. Can not connect to any of my TiVos via the iPad app.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:29 AM   #547
rlcarr

Seems to be fixed here in Boston.
rlcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:49 AM   #548
El Maestro

Back up this morning in Upstate NY.
El Maestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:19 AM   #549
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/mind.tivo.com.html This is what the C133 is coming from.
That's not particularly useful either since mind.tivo.com responds to pings and requests, but there are back end account errors.

The last two times this happened it was recommended that TiVo set up a status page, which Margret agreed to. Said page still doesn't exist.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:15 AM   #550
jimmypowder

Quote:
Does anyone else get the feeling that the roamio software,network infrastructure is still in beta?
jimmypowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:28 AM   #551
mlsnyc

Seemed to be back up in NYC at least since around 7:45am
mlsnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:09 AM   #552
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
That gives an error 404.
I redacted that post, because that is (now) the case.

It did work for me (several times), but now, no matter what I do, every time I try to include the site to test (mind.tivo.com) within the url (with, or without, the .html at the end) the results are either an error 404, or it redirects to just checking "tivo.com".

The ONLY reliable/repeatable way I could get the results for the site I want is to check (at this time, after much trial and error), is a two-step method:

1. http://www.isitdownrightnow.com

2. Then use the url box on the site to enter "mind.tivo.com".

Since I have autocomplete on, it remembers that I checked any site I type into that box, and I can quickly get the results.

Copying the resulting url (with the /mind.tivo.com.html at the end) and posting it here will usually result (in my experience) a redirect to just checking "tivo.com". Knocking off the ".html" seems to be ill-advised (now).

I'm sure that how it works (or doesn't) varies by browser and browser settings.

I feel the two-step way I just outlined should work for any browser and almost any configuration. YMMV, of course...

BTW: Regardless of the testing site's still "down" status for mind.tivo.com, I'm still up here, and have been since the last post I made stating I was back up. Good luck to everybody still having problems.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 02-07-2014 at 09:16 AM.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:38 AM   #553
BlackBetty
I <3 TiVo!

Figures last night I try and setup brand new Roamio and mini and was getting N17 and or N18 error along with C133. I thought I had screwed something up with my moca network. Arghhh talk about frustrating timing for TiVo servers to go wacky.
BlackBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:41 AM   #554
alanpgh

Servers going down does not happen very often in my experience.
You had bad luck that this happened during set up of new TiVo.

The servers seem to be back online today.

Good Luck!
Old 02-07-2014, 11:46 AM   #555
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post

All this examining of the Roamio's makeup made me believe TiVo was headed the way of a cloud-DVR service, and possibly stop making the hardware, long before the subject-to-interpretation "announcement" was made...

I sometimes wish the whole internet would go gown for a few days, just to show people how ridiculous cloud-anything is, especially for things like home security services.........
I think I'm starting to agree. A good example may be how we won the first gulf war so quickly and easily. Everyone was awed by Saddam's air defenses BEFORE the air war started, but then when it did start we totally kicked their butts almost overnight because they centralized their command of the defensive AAA batteries and missiles, making them totally dependent on it. It was like a wheel with the command center which made all the decisions and data collection at the hub and the AAA/missile sites out at the spokes. All we did was take out the hubs and crippled the whole shebang! That's why all you saw on CNN was them wildly shooting in the air like lost puppies while we surgically destroyed their defenses!

Cloud DVRs........I guess be careful what we wish for!

P.S. - I could've said that's how the Republic and Naboo won against the droids in Star Wars Phantom Menace, but then I would've shown too much of my geek side, haha!
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:24 PM   #556

I also had problems with this last night.

Part of me is happy it was something on their end and another part of me finds that disconcerting.

I was having these problems on my Premiere as well, and it turns out it was their fault. Now it's more of this poop?

Annoying.
ort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:25 PM   #557
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmypowder View Post
Does anyone else get the feeling that the roamio software,network infrastructure is still in beta?
This is NOT limited to Roamio; Premieres are also affected...

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:17 PM   #558
zalusky

I kind of wonder if it has to do with Amazon since the Tivo service lives in their cloud infrastructure.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:52 PM   #559
Tivohud

Service was working again for me late last night and it appears that the networking issues I've been having are on TiVo's end and not on my network. I hope this issue is not a frequent occurrence.
Tivohud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:20 PM   #560
alanpgh

In my experience, this is not frequent.
But, you might see a C133 error if you use Wi-Fi and have was weak signal level.
I solved this by adding a Wi-Fi Range Extender.
Or, if feasible, connect directly to your router by Ethernet cable.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:49 PM   #561
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanpgh View Post
In my experience, this is not frequent.
But, you might see a C133 error if you use Wi-Fi and have was weak signal level.
I solved this by adding a Wi-Fi Range Extender.
Or, if feasible, connect directly to your router by Ethernet cable.
That makes no difference; I'm hardwired to my router, and I still see this error...

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:54 PM   #562
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
That makes no difference; I'm hardwired to my router, and I still see this error...
He means you may see it more often than when tivo's own servers are down because with a weak or intermittent wifi signal you may also get this error.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:02 PM   #563
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

why would tivo assign the same error message for a service or production server outage and a local network problem? this makes no sense to me.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:06 PM   #564
kdmorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
why would tivo assign the same error message for a service or production server outage and a local network problem? this makes no sense to me.
Because the error is "I can't talk to the mothership". It doesn't really know why.

It could be because the mothership isn't talking. It could be because the mothership isn't talking to you. It could be because your ISP's peering point is out. It could be because your internet is out. It could be because your wireless dropped.
kdmorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:12 PM   #565
moonscape

Set up my new Roamio Pro and all seemed to be going smoothly, then the C133 error, after an update, having set up channels, guide data thru 2/20 (fast! - this used to take hours).

I'm wireless so will probably go MoCA (running wired too complicated/problematic), but in the interim, I'm assuming the C133 means nothing will record? The unpredictablility of this means losing recordings or keeping my existing Tivos as backups! From this thread it seems it's a spotty but chronic issue
moonscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:28 PM   #566
mattack

I wish someone would get fired for these huge server mishaps.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:32 PM   #567
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by krar4 View Post
First day of C133 error on my Premiere in Rockford, IL. Never had this error occur previously. Is it just a matter of waiting for TiVo to fix it?
Just to be clear -- yes, these widespread issues have been problems on Tivo's end.

UNFORTUNATELY, you can/do get similar problems if you have general networking issues.. e.g. loose Ethernet plugs, flaky WiFi network, etc..

If you're totally disconnected, the Tivo tells you it can't connect to the network (or that an ethernet cable is unplugged).. THEN, after you fix it (or if it's a slightly loose cable!), it'll give you the C133 error.. and usually figure it out yourself.

So unfortunately the first thing I do often is go wiggle on the ethernet plugs on the Tivo(s) or the switch, since my laptop cable often pulls the switch a bit.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:06 PM   #568
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBetty View Post
Figures last night I try and setup brand new Roamio and mini and was getting N17 and or N18 error along with C133. I thought I had screwed something up with my moca network. Arghhh talk about frustrating timing for TiVo servers to go wacky.
Doing the same thing. I wasted like an hour and a half screwing with my network trying to fix it. Should have known.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:36 PM   #569
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I wish someone would get fired for these huge server mishaps.
Server mishaps happen. Someone should be fired for designing it to be ANNOYING and having unnecessary limitations when servers go down or flaky.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:36 AM   #570
JeffKusnitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdmorse View Post
Because the error is "I can't talk to the mothership". It doesn't really know why.

It could be because the mothership isn't talking. It could be because the mothership isn't talking to you. It could be because your ISP's peering point is out. It could be because your internet is out. It could be because your wireless dropped.
But all of the above are detectable. You can't get to the mothership - can you get to the gateway address (probably the router, maybe 192.168.0.1)? You can get there, great, so your TiVo and your home network "work." Can you get to some other arbitrary site (a DNS perhaps, or maybe even just tivo.com)? No? Then it's your Internet connection. But if you can, then odds are good that the TiVo service you need to talk to is down.

It is possible to write a robust web application that does more than just dies at the first sign of trouble. It happens that Roamio, in this case is not currently said robust web application.
JeffKusnitz is offline   Reply With Quote