TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-08-2015, 10:55 AM   #1
jth tv

DVR Diagnostics "Program Number"

What does "Program Number" in DVR Diagnostics mean ?

I experimenting with antennas on a Roamio Basic. Sorry about the format...

Channel Program Number
2-1 1
4-1 3
50-1 3
7-1 1

In particular I am wondering if "Program Number" has any effect on the RS Uncorrected statistic.

jth tv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 11:42 AM   #2
JoeKustra
Cable only

I'm not sure. I set my tuners to channels 2, 3, 4 and 5. This gave me program numbers of 1,1,2 and 1. These are all regular OTA channels carried by my cable feed. I then set the tuners to cable only channels, like TWC, CNBC, msnbc and CNN. The program numbers were then very high, like 6212, 9201 and 4141. So I don't know. To check your tuners: on live TV use right then down. The four tuners will show along with their channels.

RS numbers should be 0 but playing with your coax can cause noise. They should be static and very low. If they are unreal, like 6 million, the tuner is bad - call TiVo.

JoeKustra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 01:43 PM   #3
BigJimOutlaw

Multiple streams/channels are often carried within the same signal (called multiplexing). The program number simply deciphers one stream/channel from another.

For example, on channels 50.1 and 50.2, the 1 and 2 are program numbers.

So there's no specific relationship to RS numbers, except for the likelihood that if channel "50.1" is getting errors, there's a good chance "50.2" and "50.3" may have the same problem.

BigJimOutlaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 01:52 PM   #4
jth tv

Got it.

CHN PN
28-1 1
28-2 2
28-3 3
28-4 4

Thanks,

Last edited by jth tv; 01-08-2015 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:53 PM   #5
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
I'm not sure. I set my tuners to channels 2, 3, 4 and 5. This gave me program numbers of 1,1,2 and 1. These are all regular OTA channels carried by my cable feed. I then set the tuners to cable only channels, like TWC, CNBC, msnbc and CNN. The program numbers were then very high, like 6212, 9201 and 4141. So I don't know. To check your tuners: on live TV use right then down. The four tuners will show along with their channels.
I think Program Number is an arbitrary number assigned by the broadcaster to a program stream within the transport stream. For my OTA channels, it's often the same as the subchannel number, but it always seems to be a single-digit number. It tells the tuner chip which data you wish to view. I reported seeing some high numbers here in a "One Tuner Out" thread, but they didn't allow reception because (apparently) there was no corresponding program stream. I haven't seen any more such bogus duplicate channels since the latest software update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
RS numbers should be 0 but playing with your coax can cause noise. They should be static and very low. If they are unreal, like 6 million, the tuner is bad - call TiVo.
More often large and climbing uncorrected error counts are a result of reception problems, either noise or a signal that's just too weak, at least for OTA reception. With cable, such errors would indicate a bad feed from the cable company, or in rare cases maybe a bad tuner in the TiVo.

L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:27 PM   #6
jth tv

Thanks. I am experimenting with OTA reception, specifically simplifying by eliminating the use a pre amplifier.

The ridiculously minor reception problem here appears to be truck traffic, which fortunately is practically non-existent during prime time. I've been wondering if the amp has been compensating for a weak signal caused by a truck traveling at 30mph being in the way of the signal. It would have to react pretty fast to do that. But apparently it makes no difference, at least last night, no amp had the same results as with 2 different amp tests. KCBS had no visible errors for the shows I just watched. The weird thing about KCBS is the Roamio signal meter shows 62 which is about the lowest here, yet prime time shows almost never have picture defects. I thought maybe the preamp was fixing it. Some strong channels have a strength of 72 might have some interference, though fortunately they too are very minor. Why wasn't the amp helping with those. Everything is well within the margins of error.

Experimentation will continue....

Old 01-08-2015, 04:09 PM   #7
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by jth tv View Post
Thanks. I am experimenting with OTA reception, specifically simplifying by eliminating the use a pre amplifier.

The ridiculously minor reception problem here appears to be truck traffic, which fortunately is practically non-existent during prime time. I've been wondering if the amp has been compensating for a weak signal caused by a truck traveling at 30mph being in the way of the signal. It would have to react pretty fast to do that. But apparently it makes no difference, at least last night, no amp had the same results as with 2 different amp tests. KCBS had no visible errors for the shows I just watched. The weird thing about KCBS is the Roamio signal meter shows 62 which is about the lowest here, yet prime time shows almost never have picture defects. I thought maybe the preamp was fixing it. Some strong channels have a strength of 72 might have some interference, though fortunately they too are very minor. Why wasn't the amp helping with those. Everything is well within the margins of error.

Experimentation will continue....
If a passing truck can actually block your signal, that would cause a momentary dropout, but the bigger problem with trucks is usually dynamic multipath interference caused by signal reflection from the truck. Either way, if you can raise the antenna so it has a better sightline to the transmitter but doesn't "see" the truck as much, that should help. Signal Strength 62 (with SNR maybe 25dB or so) should be fine if there's little nearby RFI. My Roamio is currently receiving one local station with Signal Strength 42 and SNR 17dB without errors, but at those levels it can't resist much noise.

L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote