TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-22-2015, 11:11 PM   #1
carguy84

Pause ad showing all the time now?

Has something changed in the last few weeks? Was there an update or something? Every time I hit pause now, it shows an ad. I can press down it will go away, but if I go to a different station or tuner it pops back up again.

Why is this and how do I make it stop? Perhaps I'm asking too much not to have pop up ads on a service I'm paying for? Or do we now need ad block software for tivo? I'm assuming this revenue is a last ditch effort to boost 2015 numbers. Should we expect more of these types of intrusions in 2016? Is Tivo this hard up?

carguy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 11-23-2015, 12:04 AM   #2
astrohip
Stuart F

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy84 View Post
Has something changed in the last few weeks? Was there an update or something? Every time I hit pause now, it shows an ad. I can press down it will go away, but if I go to a different station or tuner it pops back up again.

Why is this and how do I make it stop? Perhaps I'm asking too much not to have pop up ads on a service I'm paying for? Or do we now need ad block software for tivo? I'm assuming this revenue is a last ditch effort to boost 2015 numbers. Should we expect more of these types of intrusions in 2016? Is Tivo this hard up?
It's always done this. The Down Arrow only works on the current recording. As soon as you switch tuners or recordings, you need to do it again.

And please don't rehash the "how do I make it stop" discussion. It ain't going away, and all the whining in the world won't change it one iota. I pay for DirecTV every month, and yet they put ads right in the guide. I pay for cable yet they put commercials right in my shows. Yada yada ad infinitum.

Do you really want to start this dead horse again?

Old 11-23-2015, 02:50 AM   #3
MikeBear

I have an Adtrap device on my router, which kills ads on anything internet. However, it doesn't kill these popup ads from Tivo. http://getadtrap.myshopify.com/products/adtrap

So, if this device doesn't do it, I'd say nothing you can install will do it. You are welcome to try, and see if you can find something that works though.

MikeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 04:35 AM   #4
BigJimOutlaw

While playing a recording:

Select-Play-Select-Pause-Select

...Will make the progress bar disappear quickly when you hit the pause button. Much less annoying. It persists until the box reboots.

BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 11-23-2015, 08:22 AM   #5
HD_Dude
I Want HD in my Car

Big Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
While playing a recording:

Select-Play-Select-Pause-Select

...Will make the progress bar disappear quickly when you hit the pause button. Much less annoying. It persists until the box reboots.
Excellent tip!

Thank you!

TiVo Roamio Pro - City, with FIOS
TiVo Roamio OTA - Country, with Antenna
(2) TiVo Series 3 - OLED - Semi-Retired
Lifetime Service on All

HD_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:27 AM   #6
carguy84

Thanks Jim, that seems to have made it way less annoying!

carguy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 11:05 AM   #7
bornleader
Roamio Pro Newbie

Whining - it makes me feel better

I continue to whine... I pay Tivo for a subscription service and it was (almost) free of commercials. Same as Sirius XM - I pay for music, not babble from "DJs" and promos for Sirius programming. Neither Sirius XM or Tivo notify customers that these 'features' will be starting.

ARGH

Dave
One good turn deserves another

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
It's always done this. The Down Arrow only works on the current recording. As soon as you switch tuners or recordings, you need to do it again.

And please don't rehash the "how do I make it stop" discussion. It ain't going away, and all the whining in the world won't change it one iota. I pay for DirecTV every month, and yet they put ads right in the guide. I pay for cable yet they put commercials right in my shows. Yada yada ad infinitum.

Do you really want to start this dead horse again?

bornleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 01:56 PM   #8
WorldBandRadio

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
It's always done this. ...
The ads have gotten far more prevalent of late.

Yes, the ability to show the pause ads has been there all along, but they have not been as "in your face" as they have been lately (since the summer).

How many times do you need to see an advert? After a dozen or so times of seeing the same advertisement over the course of a couple days, I can be pretty sure I'm never going to get photo prints from whoever is causing the pop-up ad to annoy me.

Of course, TiVo is probably getting paid based upon how many times they annoy their customer with the ad, so it would not be likely for TiVo to reduce the assault on its customers.

WorldBandRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 11-23-2015, 02:47 PM   #9
FitzAusTex

It's worse for the new Fall TV season, and also the holidays. I can "Save 25% on Holiday Cards!", right now, if I want to.

FitzAusTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 11:12 AM   #10
WorldBandRadio

The ads are getting downright bizarre lately. I am not sure what TiVo is trying to advertise when I am trying to view my recordings, but whoever is writing those things should stop trying to be funny.

When my 11-year old read the one about handcuffing yourself to your lover, she asked me why would you handcuff yourself to someone you love, don't the police use handcuffs? And this garbage is being shown just after dinner on the family TV...

What is wrong with these TiVo people???

The pause ads are an extremely annoying, and now troubling, aspect of TiVo.

WorldBandRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 01:47 PM   #11
RoyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldBandRadio View Post
The ads are getting downright bizarre lately. I am not sure what TiVo is trying to advertise when I am trying to view my recordings, but whoever is writing those things should stop trying to be funny.

When my 11-year old read the one about handcuffing yourself to your lover, she asked me why would you handcuff yourself to someone you love, don't the police use handcuffs? And this garbage is being shown just after dinner on the family TV...

What is wrong with these TiVo people???

The pause ads are an extremely annoying, and now troubling, aspect of TiVo.
I had a similar question from my grand daughter and told her that the world was full of idiots who write dumb things. Most of them wind up writing advertising copy.

RoyK is offline   Reply With Quote