TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-28-2015, 07:34 PM   #1
LoraJ

Amazon = This video is not TiVo compatible

Lately anything I want to rent or buy has this message next to it. What is the deal? I have mostly been doing Vudu since they don't allow you to download the movies you buy anymore, but they do not have all of the indie movies available.

LoraJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 01:02 AM   #2
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

What are some examples? I have never seen anything unable to rent or stream through Prime.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 03:02 AM   #3
twhiting9275
TV Buff!

Wow, I had no idea they discontinued the PC app. Not terribly surprising though... They've always been about ripping video customers off...

That said...
The TiVo warning is safe to ignore if you have a Roamio or later. S4 TiVos and earlier don't have the new Amazon app and will likely have problems with this.

twhiting9275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 12:27 PM   #4
djwilso

Quote:
Originally Posted by twhiting9275 View Post
They've always been about ripping video customers off...
Amazon has always been about ripping video customers off?

What are you talking about?

Without exception, Amazon has the best customer service of any company I've ever dealt with, and Prime Video is included as a free bonus with Prime subscription.

I would LOVE to hear all the proof you have that Amazon is ripping anyone off.

djwilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 11-29-2015, 02:27 PM   #5
twhiting9275
TV Buff!

I've had more than one video from Amazon (which I've purchased, mind you) removed from my library, by Amazon months later.

Their excuse? The provider demanded it.

Yes, Amazon is all about ripping video customers off. if a customer pays for something, it's theirs. NOT to do with as they please, of course (ie: decode, take out DRM), but it is indeed theirs.

Old 11-29-2015, 05:49 PM   #6
ncted
A leaf on the wind

Quote:
I've had more than one video from Amazon (which I've purchased, mind you) removed from my library, by Amazon months later.

Their excuse? The provider demanded it.

Yes, Amazon is all about ripping video customers off. if a customer pays for something, it's theirs. NOT to do with as they please, of course (ie: decode, take out DRM), but it is indeed theirs.
It isn't just Amazon. It is pretty much all digital content. There are some iTunes songs and videos (TV and Movies) I can no longer access because of this. Essentially, all of this "content" is really just software that they are licensing to you, and they reserve the right to revoke that license under certain circumstances.

One of the things I like about Amazon is they often offer the option to receive a physical copy of the content at a reduced price with the digital version, especially for music.

Old 11-29-2015, 06:08 PM   #7
LoraJ

Some examples:
The Stanford Prison Experiment
Goodnight Mommy
I Smile Back

Basically all of the indies that I would only be renting on Amazon because I can't get on other sites.

Old 11-29-2015, 07:39 PM   #8
twhiting9275
TV Buff!

[QUOTE=ncted;10714894 It is pretty much all digital content. There are some iTunes songs and videos (TV and Movies)[/QUOTE]
While that may be true, in 10+ years of working with iTunes, some 8 with Amazon, I've yet to have this happen anywhere but Amazon.

Even if Apple did remove the ability to stream a certain program, or song, it's still in my library and can be played. Amazon has taken that ability away now.

Old 11-29-2015, 07:41 PM   #9
twhiting9275
TV Buff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoraJ View Post
Basically all of the indies that I would only be renting on Amazon because I can't get on other sites.
Like I mentioned earlier, you should be fine , if you have a Roamio or later. I get that warning all the time and still can play on my Roamio devices.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:26 PM   #10
LoraJ

Quote:
Like I mentioned earlier, you should be fine , if you have a Roamio or later. I get that warning all the time and still can play on my Roamio devices.
Thank you, I will try it out.