TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-02-2013, 07:20 AM   #1
FJFbHj356y
PeterNE

Tivo Guide up to date when sports cancelled?

I own a Moxi, but am considering a replacement with a Tivo.

This week the Red Sox won the World Series on Wednesday, Game 7 was cancelled. Did you notice whether the Thursday night Fox schedule was up to date without the World Series listed? I am curious how fast the Tivo guide is at responding to cancelled sports events like this.

Thanks
FJFbHj356y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:44 AM   #2
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Early afternoon the next day, my guide would come up with the World Series being listed, but within a couple of seconds, it changed to reflect what was actually scheduled.

Now, I didn't check to see exactly when my Tivo connected to the mother ship, but I suspect that had something to do with it.

But because Tivos normally only connect to the service every 24 - 36 hours, I'm sure there were plenty of people whose Tivos didn't connect at a time that allowed for the change in the guide schedule to be reflected, so your probably going to get some answers to the negative.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:50 PM   #3
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Tivo would have had new/updated information to distribute after 3pm* ET on Thursday, so a Tivo would have to make its daily connection for guide data after 3pm but with enough time to index the data and make it available to the user before any newly scheduled program begins. That means there is only small window for the tivo to be usefully updated.

* For many many years it was always at 3pm eastern time (noon pacific time) when new guide data started to be distributed, but lately it seems to vary and may be available a couple of hours earlier.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:11 PM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJFbHj356y View Post
I own a Moxi, but am considering a replacement with a Tivo.

This week the Red Sox won the World Series on Wednesday, Game 7 was cancelled. Did you notice whether the Thursday night Fox schedule was up to date without the World Series listed? I am curious how fast the Tivo guide is at responding to cancelled sports events like this.

Thanks
In a case like that you can keep forcing connections to the mothership until it does update or you can do like I did and use the google machine to see what they're running instead, which turned out to be re-runs of stuff I didn't care about or had already recorded the first time around.

The TiVo guide system isn't like a computerized real-time inventory system at some giant company that updates every few seconds.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote