TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-14-2015, 07:32 PM   #1
az1097

Streaming from Tivo to a laptop

I posted this question in the "Tivo Help Center", perhaps I Should've done it here instead, so hear it goes: How can I stream from a Premiere or a Roamio to a laptop rather to an IOS or Android device?

az1097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 07:43 PM   #2
just4fn44

you can't unless you stream thru a slingbox

just4fn44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 08:13 PM   #3
az1097

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4fn44 View Post
you can't unless you stream thru a slingbox
Are there any disadvantages using a Slingbox instead of a Tivo Stream?

az1097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 09:16 PM   #4
dbtom

I was just able to do this using the TiVo App and DuOS for Android emulation. Seems to work pretty well. I'm using a Surface Pro 2 running Windows 8.1. The program costs $10 but its a lot cheaper than buying another laptop.

I also have a Slingbox. Primary advantage of the TiVo app is much better controls. Slingbox tends to stream with better quality for me even in home.

dbtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 01:21 AM   #5
passname22

you should stream from IOs/android and PC for FREE. why are you charging extra for Pc after customers bought tivo stream. YOu can stream live tv using slingtv, pay $20 for bunch of channels and you don't have to pay for cable box or tivo. TIVO if u want customers to stay. Allow live TV streaming from our tivo box.

passname22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:26 AM   #6
jrtroo
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by passname22 View Post
you should stream from IOs/android and PC for FREE. why are you charging extra for Pc after customers bought tivo stream. YOu can stream live tv using slingtv, pay $20 for bunch of channels and you don't have to pay for cable box or tivo. TIVO if u want customers to stay. Allow live TV streaming from our tivo box.
What the heck are you talking about?

You can stream from a Tivo to iOS and Android. That is included with the stream device.

The sling suggestion was to get it to devices which are not supported by Tivo, like a windows laptop.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:12 AM   #7
passname22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
What the heck are you talking about?

You can stream from a Tivo to iOS and Android. That is included with the stream device.

The sling suggestion was to get it to devices which are not supported by Tivo, like a windows laptop.
that was my point, you can stream tivo using computer but they charge software for it. I'm just saying it should be free. They should use HTML5 so we can stream without downloading any application. I want to stream live tv when I go on vacation.

passname22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:54 AM   #8
jrtroo
User

Who is "they"?

Tivo will let you copy to a PC (when the flags are not set) using their own and user-created software, but does not provide streaming to a PC. At all, even with a fee.

So, you can stream on vacation to the requisite devices, Android/iOS, that is it. However, you may want to look at the Amazon fire thread, as it seems that may work well for your needs.

If you want features from a slingbox, then get one. It's a different service than tivos.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:17 PM   #9
SugarBowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbtom View Post
I was just able to do this using the TiVo App and DuOS for Android emulation. Seems to work pretty well. I'm using a Surface Pro 2 running Windows 8.1. The program costs $10 but its a lot cheaper than buying another laptop.

I also have a Slingbox. Primary advantage of the TiVo app is much better controls. Slingbox tends to stream with better quality for me even in home.
I'm about to try this. There is a 30 day trial to see if it works. Any tricks to get it to work ?
http://www.amiduos.com/

SugarBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:45 PM   #10
SugarBowl

Wow! DuOS works pretty well. I was able to stream copy protected shows from the Tivo to my win 8 laptop.

Some of the text in the tivo app is a little hard to read when in portrait mode, but landscape mode fixed it.

DuOS was telling me that i needed to remove the HyperV feature for better performance. And by better, they mean anything other than a blank screen. I was getting nothing but a blank screen until i uninstalled HyperV.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:19 PM   #11
dbtom

Yeah, DuOS works shockingly well for me. I had tried BlueStacks in the past and the performance was terrible. DuOS makes me think that Microsoft will probably build something like this into the OS in the future. I paid the $10. Well worth it.

dbtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 12:16 AM   #12
HarperVision

Very cool! Is there anything similar to this, but for iOS apps so I can use the download feature in the TiVo app? (I know I can just download directly, but I want a smaller, streamable file that will be created by the TiVo Stream from a remote location.....long story )

HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 12:25 AM   #13
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Very cool! Is there anything similar to this, but for iOS apps so I can use the download feature in the TiVo app? (I know I can just download directly, but I want a smaller, streamable file that will be created by the TiVo Stream from a remote location.....long story )
If you are an Apple Developer, you can get an iOS simulator, but it only runs on Macs. I don't know of any way to run iOS apps in Windows.

TiVo Mini (v1) x 3
Slingbox M1

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 02:11 PM   #14
HarperVision

Thanks Arcady. I tried DuOS and for some reason whenever I would go into the My Shows and To Do folders it would only allow me to see the first folder in the list, in my case Vikings which was being recorded, and it was already expanded out showing all the episodes. Normally I have folders set so I would have to click on it to expand it. It wouldn't allow me to go any further down I to the list. I could only go as far down as I could see on screen, so I couldn't see or try any other shows. I did try playing one of the Viking episodes but the video was abysmal, stuttering and fuzzy, looking like it was only about 128Kbps or something. Any ideas? Are there any settings I can play with?

I was able to accomplish what the OP was asking for though. I just downloaded the TiVo-to-Go plugin for Plex and ran that on my PC and was able to stream directly from my TiVo Roamio+ and surprisingly also from my remote Roamio+ located in Philly using the public IP there along with my MAK. So this also answers and helps me with a big issue I've been working on with my normally used Slingbox! I don't know why no one suggested this here or in the many times I brought it up in other threads. It does EXACTLY what I've been trying to accomplish! I'm able to sustain 8+Mbps streams using TTG Plex plugin from Philly whereas when I try to use my Slingbox 350, it maxes out at 3.1Mbps. Further proof that Comcast is throttling Slingbox streams if you ask me. Another cool side benefit is that I can now stream to my Rokus too.

Old 02-18-2015, 02:57 PM   #15
SugarBowl

Quote:
Thanks Arcady. I tried DuOS and for some reason whenever I would go into the My Shows and To Do folders it would only allow me to see the first folder in the list, in my case Vikings which was being recorded, and it was already expanded out showing all the episodes. Normally I have folders set so I would have to click on it to expand it. It wouldn't allow me to go any further down I to the list. I could only go as far down as I could see on screen, so I couldn't see or try any other shows. I did try playing one of the Viking episodes but the video was abysmal, stuttering and fuzzy, looking like it was only about 128Kbps or something. Any ideas? Are there any settings I can play with?
have you tried DuOS recently? Maybe there were bugs with older versions ? I just installed it on 4 machines with success.

Some of my notes and issues..

1 - the tivo app requires a wifi connection, so if you're on an ethernet wired desktop, you need to run the DuOS config tool, go to advanced, and select Simulate Network.

2 - On 1 machine, I get some warnings at DuOS startup about my graphics driver being out of date (DuOS still works fine)

3 - on another machine, it keeps telling me i need to enable virtualization in the bios. I have done that, but it keeps complaining (DuOS still works fine)

4 - on my dell venue 8 pro touch tablet, the video playback is dropping frames.

5 - play with the config tool and change the screen size, maybe that will fix your issues of only seeing 1 folder.

6 - increase the ram in the config tool

Old 02-18-2015, 03:19 PM   #16
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBowl View Post
have you tried DuOS recently? Maybe there were bugs with older versions ? I just installed it on 4 machines with success. Some of my notes and issues.. 1 - the tivo app requires a wifi connection, so if you're on an ethernet wired desktop, you need to run the DuOS config tool, go to advanced, and select Simulate Network. 2 - On 1 machine, I get some warnings at DuOS startup about my graphics driver being out of date (DuOS still works fine) 3 - on another machine, it keeps telling me i need to enable virtualization in the bios. I have done that, but it keeps complaining (DuOS still works fine) 4 - on my dell venue 8 pro touch tablet, the video playback is dropping frames. 5 - play with the config tool and change the screen size, maybe that will fix your issues of only seeing 1 folder. 6 - increase the ram in the config tool
I just tried it last night with a fresh install.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give them a try when I get a chance.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:34 PM   #17
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Thanks Arcady. I tried DuOS and for some reason whenever I would go into the My Shows and To Do folders it would only allow me to see the first folder in the list, in my case Vikings which was being recorded, and it was already expanded out showing all the episodes.

I was able to accomplish what the OP was asking for though. I just downloaded the TiVo-to-Go plugin for Plex and ran that on my PC and was able to stream directly from my TiVo Roamio+ and surprisingly also from my remote Roamio+ located in Philly using the public IP there along with my MAK. So this also answers and helps me with a big issue I've been working on with my normally used Slingbox! I don't know why no one suggested this here or in the many times I brought it up in other threads. It does EXACTLY what I've been trying to accomplish! I'm able to sustain 8+Mbps streams using TTG Plex plugin from Philly whereas when I try to use my Slingbox 350, it maxes out at 3.1Mbps. Further proof that Comcast is throttling Slingbox streams if you ask me. Another cool side benefit is that I can now stream to my Rokus too.
I have the same issue with folders being open on DuoOS and haven't been able to get by that, it could be a deal breaker in my book, but the streaming is pretty nice for what I'd do with it.

Talk to me more about the TTG Plex plugin.. I'm intrigued and the links I found weren't helpful

Old 02-19-2015, 03:41 AM   #18
Gadfly

I installed DuOS but I can't install the zip file that would install the Google Play (I download the file and then when I right click, it says the file cannot be opened).

so I am stuck. I am hesitant to try Tivo from Amazon Store. should I?

Gadfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 04:16 AM   #19
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I just tried this thing. I am running Windows 7 Pro on a MacBook Air, connected via WiFi.

The vanilla install of DuOS let me go to the Amazon app store and get the TiVo app. The app ran, but I could not get it to set up streaming correctly, no matter what I tried.

I went and got the Google Apps and installed the zip file. When I opened the Google play store, it told me the TiVo app was already installed, so I didn't bother to download again from there. I ran the TiVo app and it set up streaming correctly on the first try. The first show I tried to play buffered in a few seconds and plays great.

Notes:
Running a touch-based OS on a laptop without a touchscreen sucks.

The TiVo app wants to run in portrait mode even though the whole OS is in landscape mode. Fortunately, it switches to landscape when you play a show. I can't figure out how to tell the app what orientation the "tablet" is in.

The android version of the TiVo app sucks compared to the iOS app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
I installed DuOS but I can't install the zip file that would install the Google Play (I download the file and then when I right click, it says the file cannot be opened).
Did you right-click and select "Apply to DuOS" from Windows? Worked for me.

TiVo Mini (v1) x 3
Slingbox M1

Old 02-19-2015, 04:23 AM   #20
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
I have the same issue with folders being open on DuoOS and haven't been able to get by that, it could be a deal breaker in my book, but the streaming is pretty nice for what I'd do with it. Talk to me more about the TTG Plex plugin.. I'm intrigued and the links I found weren't helpful
I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling duos because i mucked up settings and figured it may help the folder and streaming issue too. Well as I watched it uninstall, it started to also uninstall programs my my pc! I sat and watched shortcut icons start disappearing from my desktop! What would make it do that? I guess I'll have to do a system restore.

When I reinstalled though, it did fix the folder viewing issue and helped the streaming a little. I think there's also maybe an incompatibility or setting between Android/DuOS and my PC/Windows 7 Pro. Any ideas?

For the TTG Plex Plugin, I just did this after the server was installed:

https://github.com/tivoguy/TiVoToGo....ster/README.md

Old 02-19-2015, 04:29 AM   #21
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
I just tried this thing. I am running Windows 7 Pro on a MacBook Air, connected via WiFi. The vanilla install of DuOS let me go to the Amazon app store and get the TiVo app. The app ran, but I could not get it to set up streaming correctly, no matter what I tried. I went and got the Google Apps and installed the zip file. When I opened the Google play store, it told me the TiVo app was already installed, so I didn't bother to download again from there. I ran the TiVo app and it set up streaming correctly on the first try. The first show I tried to play buffered in a few seconds and plays great. Notes: Running a touch-based OS on a laptop without a touchscreen sucks. The TiVo app wants to run in portrait mode even though the whole OS is in landscape mode. Fortunately, it switches to landscape when you play a show. I can't figure out how to tell the app what orientation the "tablet" is in. The android version of the TiVo app sucks compared to the iOS app. Did you right-click and select "Apply to DuOS" from Windows? Worked for me.
I had the same issue before I reinstalled DuOS. But after I did it gave me a landscape app. There's also an orientation circle icon in the upper left corner you can try. I'm not really sure which fixed it though.

I also accidentally installed the Amazon TiVo app at first and it didn't work right. So I uninstalled the Amazon app and then did the Google Play version and it worked well except for the streaming issues I'm still dealing with.

It's almost 4:30am.....go to bed young man!

Old 02-19-2015, 04:34 AM   #22
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Quote:
I had the same issue before I reinstalled DuOS. But after I did it gave me a landscape app. There's also an orientation circle icon in the upper left corner you can try. I'm not really sure which fixed it though.

I also accidentally installed the Amazon TiVo app at first and it didn't work right. So I uninstalled the Amazon app and then did the Google Play version and it worked well except for the streaming issues I'm still dealing with.

It's almost 4:30am.....go to bed young man!
I just uninstalled the app and reinstalled from the Google store. Now it works properly in landscape mode. It's almost like the one from the Amazon store was the phone version or something.

Thanks for the tip. (Going to bed now...)

TiVo Mini (v1) x 3
Slingbox M1

Old 02-19-2015, 08:08 AM   #23
h2oskierc
I'm a 2-Tuner

I I stalled DuOS on my notebook, rebooted my computer and bam, no more functional boot drive... I have a SSD, and it was locked once I hit reboot. So far haven't had any luck unlocking it, so looks like I get to reformat and reinstall everything...

Could have been some other quirk, but I am thinking that DuOS did it.

h2oskierc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:17 PM   #24
SugarBowl

Quote:
I just uninstalled the app and reinstalled from the Google store. Now it works properly in landscape mode. It's almost like the one from the Amazon store was the phone version or something.

Thanks for the tip. (Going to bed now...)
hmmm.. I thought the amazon store and the google play store had the same app. But you're right.. The amazon store app looks more like a phone format. The google version looks like the iOS ipad app.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:31 PM   #25
SugarBowl

For those that are only seeing 1 folder, are you holding the primary mouse button down and scrolling down the list?

Old 02-19-2015, 12:43 PM   #26
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oskierc View Post
I I stalled DuOS on my notebook, rebooted my computer and bam, no more functional boot drive... I have a SSD, and it was locked once I hit reboot. So far haven't had any luck unlocking it, so looks like I get to reformat and reinstall everything... Could have been some other quirk, but I am thinking that DuOS did it.
Yeah, it must be messing with the root files or something. When I tried uninstalling my DuOS to get it back to factory default, it deleted a crap ton of programs from my PC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBowl View Post
For those that are only seeing 1 folder, are you holding the primary mouse button down and scrolling down the list?
I'm not able to test it because I reinstalled everything and its working now. I'm not going to go back to the broken version to test it.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:55 PM   #27
Gadfly

Quote:
<snip>
Did you right-click and select "Apply to DuOS" from Windows? Worked for me.
You are right. that was the problem. I didn't know I have to do it from Windows.

Now I am getting an error about "unauthorized modification to your android blah blah" when I try to play back a show.

Plus not being able to go pass the first folder.

Edit: I was setting Duos to run in root mode. once I got rid of that, I restarted Duos and managed to play back a show! The issue with seeing only the first folder is still there.

Edit 2: The other folders are there too! what I needed to do was to scroll down. for some reason it opens the first by default.

Last edited by Gadfly : 02-20-2015 at 12:05 AM.
Gadfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 02:10 AM   #28
HarperVision

Deleted: Mistaken post