TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-29-2013, 02:41 PM   #91
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Not to continue to derail this thread (but, of course, I will). I don't know why anyone would bother using Netflix on any TiVo when it works so well on a Panny TV I'm an infrequent user, but it's seamless. When I tried it on my XL4, it was balky (even BEFORE the last update). I'm sure the Roamio is better (how could it be worse?), but using it on an Internet-connected TV is MUCH smoother...
That's all well and good, but I'm running a 2005 DLP TV so I need to access Netflix differently. Part of the reason I went with Tivo at the beginning of this year was the "one box" marketing that duped me into believing I would not need to buy a Roku or new Blu-ray player to get quality Netflix streaming.
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:43 PM   #92
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Yes I've used Netflix on my two tuner Premiere when at my GFs house. I don't recall having an issue pausing and I don't stop the video. I back out to the previous page when watching a video since it will resume at the same point.
Then you are fortunate. When I get past about halfway into any movie on Netflix it stops responding to all button presses. My experience with the Premiere Netflix app is far from unique.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:03 PM   #93
timothy.downey

I'm not normally one to complain, but the quality of the Netflix app on the Premiere really is unconscionable. Button presses almost never work and it is impossible to get back into the Netflix app at the end of an episode without quitting with a Tivo button press and waiting up to a minute to get back to the main Tivo screens. We are not being unreasonable in expecting that the pause button works at a minimum.

At this point I'd strongly prefer the old Netflix app that I had on TivoHD. You couldn't manage your queue with it, but it worked fine.
timothy.downey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:11 PM   #94
MrWizzu

How about you baddies stop talking about Netflix, and start talking about why we dont have the update yet!

Priority list is bogus!
MrWizzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:12 PM   #95
dave13077

In our house, because Netflix is unusable on the "One Box" , we have bought Roku's to put at every TV where there is a Premiere. How a $60 Roku can handle Netflix 1000 times better than a a $800+ (Elite+Lifetime) Tivo is beyond me.
dave13077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:13 PM   #96
tlw_2

Don't tell me how to do things your way

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
While I don't have the update yet either, and I would like netflix to behave better on my premiere, there is no need to retort with this quote below. It is just the kind of thing that will cause the release notes to stop, when its just as easy to ask the question civilly. Nobody here knows the details of why a wider release has not happened, but move on people, there are no intentional lies here.
You have no idea what I have been told or what I have been through. I don't care what you think. DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO. Speak your mind and quit looking to critique other users. THAT IS NOT THE POINT OF THE DISCUSSION.
tlw_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:20 PM   #97
tlw_2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
The Netflix app on the Roamio is great. I never used the one on my Premiere because it was so slow, but I use the one on my Roamio all the time. In fact I've actually been using my Netflix subscription more just because it's so convenient.

If you've got the money to upgrade then do it and be happy. Holding out for some magical update to the Premiere that fixes everything is a fools errand. Even if they do eventually release such an update it's probably months off, so you're subjecting yourself to months of using a slow Premiere unnecessarily.
DAN,
I plainly said I wanted the Netflix to work as advertised. I'm not expecting a complete 100% overall fix for the everything. READ AGAIN, it was just Netflix and Tivo's advertised functionality. Not adequately reading before you respond is a "fools errand".
tlw_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:21 PM   #98
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlw_2 View Post
You have no idea what I have been told or what I have been through. I don't care what you think. DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO. Speak your mind and quit looking to critique other users. THAT IS NOT THE POINT OF THE DISCUSSION.
So he can't tell you what to do, but you can tell him what to do. Got it.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:39 PM   #99
hooper

I think this thread sums up the complete fail that is the Tivo Premiere. Remember when they enabled the second core of the processor!
hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:54 PM   #100
MeInDallas

Well I wonder what time today they will roll out some more people. I think I've connected 50 times since last night trying to get this update
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:09 PM   #101
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDallas View Post
Well I wonder what time today they will roll out some more people. I think I've connected 50 times since last night trying to get this update
I've tried 3 times still no update.
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:13 PM   #102
beejay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post
I've tried 3 times still no update.
I'll connect in the morning if I haven't received something in the last 24 hours...

But, really! 50 times a day? Does that get you anything but frustration? Is it really that important to get it within 30 minutes of the switch being thrown for you?
S2DT - 186 hours

"For some people, even 10 TiVo DVRs is not overkill."
TiVoOpsMgr
Director, Svc. Ops

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:26 PM   #103
MeInDallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
I'll connect in the morning if I haven't received something in the last 24 hours...

But, really! 50 times a day? Does that get you anything but frustration? Is it really that important to get it within 30 minutes of the switch being thrown for you?
Yep considering all the frustration I have went thru with Tivo since the beginning of 2012 IT IS THAT IMPORTANT YES!!!! All the blame that Tivo has tried to throw onto the cable company when it was that Tivo software that was at fault to begin with, yes it is THAT important!
Old 10-29-2013, 04:27 PM   #104
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post

Well they have a priority update page and Margaret has said it has been released, so those on the list should have it.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:28 PM   #105
tomhorsley

Hey, news from Comcast on the Florida update! Now instead of "no schedule" they are saying "early 2014". Soon it can be "summer 2014" and it will be a year since they first said "summer 2013". I can't believe it is utterly impossible to provide cable card users new firmware without rolling out an entire new set of infrastructure to go with it.
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:32 PM   #106
MeInDallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post
Well they have a priority update page and Margaret has said it has been released, so those on the list should have it.
Unfortunately that isnt the case. I added my TSN to the list as soon as it went live, have went back several times to make sure it was on the list after the issues they had with the page, and I still dont have it. They must be rolling it out little by little.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:36 PM   #107
jrtroo
User

Quote:
I did not tell you what to do, you can be as big as you want to be. There is just no need for it, and I called you out. The point of the discussion is to have an open conversation with and about the TiVo Premiere software update, and I just want to make sure it continues.

Blast away if you must, and feel free to get a Roku. I'm also tempted to do so, not so much for Netflix but for the other apps it offers, especially if they have Amazon prime available.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:56 PM   #108
morac
Cat God

My Premiere picked up the update some time since last night. I used my Slingbox to restart it and it installed.

The first thing I noticed is that there's gold stars now.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:04 PM   #109
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
My Premiere picked up the update some time since last night. I used my Slingbox to restart it and it installed.

The first thing I noticed is that there's gold stars now.
what are gold stars for?
Old 10-29-2013, 05:07 PM   #110
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
DAN,
I plainly said I wanted the Netflix to work as advertised. I'm not expecting a complete 100% overall fix for the everything. READ AGAIN, it was just Netflix and Tivo's advertised functionality. Not adequately reading before you respond is a "fools errand".
I think you read a little more attitude into my words then was intended. "Fools errand" is a figure of speech, I wasn't implying you are a fool. I meant you could be waiting for something that never comes, while only causing yourself frustration, when you could alleviate the problems right now by simply upgrading to a Roamio. By standing your ground and not upgrading until they fix the Premiere you're causing yourself more harm then TiVo. I'd dump the Premiere now, while it still has some resale value, and move up (or on) and save myself the headache.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:10 PM   #111
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Yep considering all the frustration I have went thru with Tivo since the beginning of 2012 IT IS THAT IMPORTANT YES!!!! All the blame that Tivo has tried to throw onto the cable company when it was that Tivo software that was at fault to begin with, yes it is THAT important!
Man I worry that users like you are going to end up disappointed. TiVo updates rarely fix all the bugs of the previous update. Especially when they contain a major new feature like DTA. I'm not saying the update wont fix your problems, but I wouldn't get my hopes up too high if I were you. Many of people have been let down by expectations in the past.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:19 PM   #112
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Wow...someone piss in your Wheaties today? No reason to yell. And, if you want some respect on these boards, tone it down. As of this moment, you're on my IL...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:23 PM   #113
MeInDallas

Really the only thing I'm looking for is the basic functionality of the box. I want to be able to record what I have set up to record, and come home and it be waiting there already recorded, with no errors on the screen. One thing supposedly they fixed is the no suggestions issue a lot of us were having, and then the one where the missing channels and you would get an error and there would be no recording. A lot of people describe it as a black screen recording. Now I know that Tivo engineering has told me they have seen what was causing this because they have/had my box being logged, and I was told that they saw the issue and what was causing it. Again supposedly they have a fix for this, and all this stuff is supposed to be included in the update.

As far as HD screens being faster, I dont use them, I use SD only. Netflix I dont care, I dont subscribe to it. Anything else I dont care about, I just want those 2 issues fixed. Everytime I've had an issue, Tivo always has blamed the cable company right off the bat and had me jump thru hoops on my end to try and fix them, when all along it was a Tivo software issue because then on down the road, months later or a year later they magically have a software update and fix things.

Connecting a box many times trying to get the update isnt as frustrating as paying for a box every month that youre locked into paying and it doesnt work correctly. Now THATS what is frustrating!
Old 10-29-2013, 05:33 PM   #114
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

I've actually had no problems with my Premiere, except that I'd like to see the rest of the menus HD'd (not so much for esthetic reasons, but so they will all function the same). Of course, I only use my TiVo to record and play back shows, so some of the things that people dislike about it don't affect me. But all in all, I remain a very happy customer. Roamio doesn't even tempt me.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:37 PM   #115
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
Yes frustrating electronics is a pain in the a**. Before I bought the Roamio, I was fairly happy with my Series 3 & Premiere DVRs, but I only used them as DVRs and mostly used the SDUI on the Premiere. My real frustration has been with receivers first an Onkyo 807 which had bad HDMI boards that died at age 3 and now a new Denon X4000 that doesn't work but they claim is a speaker issue not an issue with the receiver. I have a 7.1 setup and so far they have had me replace all the speaker wire ($75 and a full days work) plus I have brought in 3 more pairs of speakers to change out each set trying to find a "bad" speaker. It is really fun having spent over $4000 on speakers and receivers over the last few years to end up with nothing usable but the speaker in my TV.
Damn. That sucks about the Denon. The HDMI board on the Onkyo is fairly common from what I have been hearing. I have an Onkyo preamp - wish me luck.
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:38 PM   #116
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I've actually had no problems with my Premiere, except that I'd like to see the rest of the menus HD'd (not so much for esthetic reasons, but so they will all function the same). Of course, I only use my TiVo to record and play back shows, so some of the things that people dislike about it don't affect me. But all in all, I remain a very happy customer. Roamio doesn't even tempt me.
That's exactly where I'm at, Rob. I use my XL4 for nothing but recording and watching programs (and, occasionally watch live TV). I rarely, if ever, use all four tuners (as a matter of fact, I've had the unit for nearly a year and I don't recall one time when all four red lights were lit).
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:44 PM   #117
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Really the only thing I'm looking for is the basic functionality of the box. I want to be able to record what I have set up to record, and come home and it be waiting there already recorded, with no errors on the screen. One thing supposedly they fixed is the no suggestions issue a lot of us were having, and then the one where the missing channels and you would get an error and there would be no recording. A lot of people describe it as a black screen recording. Now I know that Tivo engineering has told me they have seen what was causing this because they have/had my box being logged, and I was told that they saw the issue and what was causing it. Again supposedly they have a fix for this, and all this stuff is supposed to be included in the update.

As far as HD screens being faster, I dont use them, I use SD only. Netflix I dont care, I dont subscribe to it. Anything else I dont care about, I just want those 2 issues fixed. Everytime I've had an issue, Tivo always has blamed the cable company right off the bat and had me jump thru hoops on my end to try and fix them, when all along it was a Tivo software issue because then on down the road, months later or a year later they magically have a software update and fix things.

Connecting a box many times trying to get the update isnt as frustrating as paying for a box every month that youre locked into paying and it doesnt work correctly. Now THATS what is frustrating!
That does suck. I just hope they're right and there is a fix in this version for your problem. You've got an awful lot riding on this update, it could be a massive letdown if it doesn't fix all your issues.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:51 PM   #118
jhjones75

Still no update here.
jhjones75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:59 PM   #119
TooMuchTime

I can't connect to the TiVo service until a scheduled update takes place at 2am. So, I'll know more tomorrow. I think I'll reboot the machine first thing in the morning and see what I get.
TooMuchTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:04 PM   #120
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
For me, I only use my TVs as a monitor. While I do have a Coax cable connected to the TV from OTA or FiOS, I don't use it. I only use the HDMI inputs on my Tvs. So I have specifically not purchased a Smart TV.

My GF does have a Vizio Smart TV with Netflix and Pandora. But it's easier and quicker just to use Netflix and Pandora from the TiVo since the TiVo remote is already in hand.
I use my TV as a monitor (with audio) as well via HDMI cables. I mean even if I owned a smart tv if given no other option, I would still be using it as just a monitor (with audio). I've found using a PlayStation 3 does an amazing job for Netflix and YouTube.
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote