TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-29-2013, 09:56 AM   #61
shamilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
If that were true no one would ever get an update. They restart at 2:00am unless you have a scheduled recording. If you do it reboots during the next open time slot. I stay up late and I've been in a lot of betas (weekly updates) so I've seen this happen a lot.
rebooted by itself overnight just like always....
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:13 AM   #62
bbarrera

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamilian View Post
rebooted by itself overnight just like always....
Same here.
bbarrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:29 AM   #63
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbarrera View Post
Same here.
Oh that's good. Maybe the info in the email was wrong. Their initial email that they received stated that the "ramp up" for the rollout started October 23rd and the follow up email that my guy received while I was on the phone with him was a correction and stated it started on the 28th. Makes me a bit wary since the info is coming from the head of the engineering department, ya know?
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:30 AM   #64
JWhites

Still no update for me. Starting to question the validity of the priority update list.

Still haven't heard if the program truncation issue was fixed or not.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:32 AM   #65
tlw_2

No response from Margaret

I would like a Roamio +, I have the money, so what's stopping me?

When TiVo fixes things like the Netflix app on the Premiere line for example, then I will do it. Why would I want to invest another $400 in equipment/company that will knowingly allow disfunctionality to exist on their platforms indefinitely.

And *****

Then Margaret will not even take the time to respond to the subscriber base about the malfeasance. I have said the day I have to buy a ROKU for Netflix streaming is the day I begin evolving away from TiVo.

Been pricing Roku this morning. I'm tired of the lies and BS
tlw_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:39 AM   #66
waterchange

You should just go buy a Roku for Netflix and be done with it. It's cheap enough to be an impulse buy for most and it'll save you a lot of stress worrying about what TiVo will or will not do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlw_2 View Post

When TiVo fixes things like the Netflix afpp on the Premiere line for example, then I will do it. Why would I want to invest another $400 in equipment/company that will knowingly allow disfunctionality to exist on their platforms indefinitely.

And *****

Then Margaret will not even take the time to respond to the subscriber base about the malfeasance. I have said the day I have to buy a ROKU for Netflix streaming is the day I begin evolving away from TiVo.

waterchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:54 AM   #67
tomhorsley

I didn't see a single word in the list of features about fixing problems with old cable cards so the random lost signals and screen blanking don't happen as much. They made it 10,000 times worse in the 20.3 update, so I was hoping they could at least make it work as well as it did before 20.3 (because all the Comcast guys who were working on rolling out the firmware and other infrastructure updates are apparently all off trying to fix the obamacare web site or something, Comcast is back to "we don't have a date" for the rollout).
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:01 AM   #68
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhites View Post
Still no update for me. Starting to question the validity of the priority update list....
+1...I signed up and no update love yet.....
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:03 AM   #69
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
I didn't see a single word in the list of features about fixing problems with old cable cards so the random lost signals and screen blanking don't happen as much. They made it 10,000 times worse in the 20.3 update, so I was hoping they could at least make it work as well as it did before 20.3 (because all the Comcast guys who were working on rolling out the firmware and other infrastructure updates are apparently all off trying to fix the obamacare web site or something, Comcast is back to "we don't have a date" for the rollout).
Best. Post. Ever.
TiVo HDXL
TiVo HD
Retired: TiVo Series 2 ST, Philips Series 1 HDR212
NotNowChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:08 AM   #70
Teeps

Quote:
I think TiVo should give every Premiere subscriber a free TiVo Stream as an apology for any number of reasons that have caused us to be dissatisfied with our experience.
Not a bad idea...
I would purchase a stream @ retail if it included life time subscription.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:19 AM   #71
dave13077

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Same here. I signed up both my Premiere boxes (Elite and 2 tuner) early on with the Priority list and no updates yet.

I too wish they would have given us Life-timed Premier owners a reduced cost Roamio upgrade path. Given the "One Box" never lived up to Tivos own hype.
dave13077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:35 AM   #72
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
Not a bad idea...
I would purchase a stream @ retail if it included life time subscription.
Um, Streams don't have a subscription. I think HE meant as a joke that we should get a free one (Stream) for all the disappointments, headaches, and delays. I think YOU are confused with the Mini.
TiVo HDXL
TiVo HD
Retired: TiVo Series 2 ST, Philips Series 1 HDR212
NotNowChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:47 AM   #73
Lars_J

Quote:
Same here. I signed up for the priority list, and no update yet.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:57 AM   #74
atmuscarella

Lots of sour grapes in this thread.

The reality is the Premiere line of DVRs isn't ever going to be what people want it to be. The hardware just isn't good enough plain and simple. I think the best that can be hoped for is that they fix the software so that the units function as good DVRs, but who knows maybe they can't even do that with the HDUI resource requirements.

Frankly my advise to those that can afford it is to just move on to something else. I am very happy with my Roamio and have pulled the power plugs on all my other TiVos.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:07 PM   #75
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13077 View Post
I too wish they would have given us Life-timed Premier owners a reduced cost Roamio upgrade path. Given the "One Box" never lived up to Tivos own hype.
There has been some indication from Tivo that upgrade offers to existing customers are planned. I don't remember the exact source, but I think it came from the CEO during one of his interviews.

Given the success of the Roamio, I'd bet Spring 2014 before we see any upgrade offers. Tivo will probably want to try and wait out the holiday season demand from existing customers before offering upgrade discounts to lure the remaining hold-outs.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:38 PM   #76
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
Lots of sour grapes in this thread.

The reality is the Premiere line of DVRs isn't ever going to be what people want it to be. The hardware just isn't good enough plain and simple. I think the best that can be hoped for is that they fix the software so that the units function as good DVRs, but who knows maybe they can't even do that with the HDUI resource requirements.

Frankly my advise to those that can afford it is to just move on to something else. I am very happy with my Roamio and have pulled the power plugs on all my other TiVos.
If I could have afforded it, I woulda gone over to the Roamio before it was even announced, but I can't, so onwards with the sour, bitter, unhappy grapes.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:46 PM   #77
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
There has been some indication from Tivo that upgrade offers to existing customers are planned. I don't remember the exact source, but I think it came from the CEO during one of his interviews.

Given the success of the Roamio, I'd bet Spring 2014 before we see any upgrade offers. Tivo will probably want to try and wait out the holiday season demand from existing customers before offering upgrade discounts to lure the remaining hold-outs.
Unless it's free (aside from the subscription), no upgrade offer is going to be good enough to make up for the ultimate betrayal by TiVo. I wonder if a class action lawsuit can be filed for false advertisement since the Premiere really isn't "the one box to rule them all" Just look at all this marketing hype http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=444019 and compare it to what we know as the truth today and see just how much of it is true.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:51 PM   #78
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:

When TiVo fixes things like the Netflix app on the Premiere line for example, then I will do it. Why would I want to invest another $400 in equipment/company that will knowingly allow disfunctionality to exist on their platforms indefinitely.

And *****

The Netflix app on the Roamio is great. I never used the one on my Premiere because it was so slow, but I use the one on my Roamio all the time. In fact I've actually been using my Netflix subscription more just because it's so convenient.

If you've got the money to upgrade then do it and be happy. Holding out for some magical update to the Premiere that fixes everything is a fools errand. Even if they do eventually release such an update it's probably months off, so you're subjecting yourself to months of using a slow Premiere unnecessarily.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:03 PM   #79
jeff92k7

I signed up both of my boxes when the priority page was first made available. Neither of my boxes got the update overnight and neither are getting it when I force connections.

If I re-enter my TSN's on the priority page, it says they are already registered.

jeff92k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:03 PM   #80
JWhites

Can we focus and get back onto the discussion about the fall 2013 update and not about the Roamio please?
Old 10-29-2013, 01:04 PM   #81
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff92k7 View Post
I signed up both of my boxes when the priority page was first made available. Neither of my boxes got the update overnight and neither are getting it when I force connections.

I've even had TiVo do their own forced connections on their end of things and still no update.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:12 PM   #82
atmuscarella

Quote:
If I could have afforded it, I woulda gone over to the Roamio before it was even announced, but I can't, so onwards with the sour, bitter, unhappy grapes.
Yes frustrating electronics is a pain in the a**. Before I bought the Roamio, I was fairly happy with my Series 3 & Premiere DVRs, but I only used them as DVRs and mostly used the SDUI on the Premiere. My real frustration has been with receivers first an Onkyo 807 which had bad HDMI boards that died at age 3 and now a new Denon X4000 that doesn't work but they claim is a speaker issue not an issue with the receiver. I have a 7.1 setup and so far they have had me replace all the speaker wire ($75 and a full days work) plus I have brought in 3 more pairs of speakers to change out each set trying to find a "bad" speaker. It is really fun having spent over $4000 on speakers and receivers over the last few years to end up with nothing usable but the speaker in my TV.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:37 PM   #83
rjrustia

Still no update love .
rjrustia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:39 PM   #84
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:

And *****

Netflix is superb on the Roamio and Mini boxes. They work great. But Netflix also worked on my Premieres too, just not as quick. And of course Netflix works very well on my three Rokus. But my main devices for watching Netflix now are my TiVo Minis and Roamio pro.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:43 PM   #85
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Netflix is superb on the Roamio and Mini boxes. They work great. But Netflix also worked on my Premieres too, just not as quick. And of course Netflix works very well on my three Rokus. But my main devices for watching Netflix now are my TiVo Minis and Roamio pro.
Have you used Netflix on your Premiere since the 20.3.1 update? It used to work on my Premiere too, but now simple functions like pausing and stopping a video don't work anymore.
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:45 PM   #86
jrtroo
User

While I don't have the update yet either, and I would like netflix to behave better on my premiere, there is no need to retort with this quote below. It is just the kind of thing that will cause the release notes to stop, when its just as easy to ask the question civilly. Nobody here knows the details of why a wider release has not happened, but move on people, there are no intentional lies here.

Quote:

Old 10-29-2013, 01:53 PM   #87
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Have you used Netflix on your Premiere since the 20.3.1 update? It used to work on my Premiere too, but now simple functions like pausing and stopping a video don't work anymore.
Not to continue to derail this thread (but, of course, I will). I don't know why anyone would bother using Netflix on any TiVo when it works so well on a Panny TV I'm an infrequent user, but it's seamless. When I tried it on my XL4, it was balky (even BEFORE the last update). I'm sure the Roamio is better (how could it be worse?), but using it on an Internet-connected TV is MUCH smoother...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:02 PM   #88
shamilian

Quote:
I tried netflix and it seems to be the the same app but starts and stops the app quicker ( like older releases ) and did become unresponsive to button presses.... So it seems usable again....
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:06 PM   #89
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Yes I've used Netflix on my two tuner Premiere when at my GFs house. I don't recall having an issue pausing and I don't stop the video. I back out to the previous page when watching a video since it will resume at the same point.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:09 PM   #90
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Not to continue to derail this thread (but, of course, I will). I don't know why anyone would bother using Netflix on any TiVo when it works so well on a Panny TV I'm an infrequent user, but it's seamless. When I tried it on my XL4, it was balky (even BEFORE the last update). I'm sure the Roamio is better (how could it be worse?), but using it on an Internet-connected TV is MUCH smoother...
For me, I only use my TVs as a monitor. While I do have a Coax cable connected to the TV from OTA or FiOS, I don't use it. I only use the HDMI inputs on my Tvs. So I have specifically not purchased a Smart TV.

My GF does have a Vizio Smart TV with Netflix and Pandora. But it's easier and quicker just to use Netflix and Pandora from the TiVo since the TiVo remote is already in hand.