TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-17-2013, 10:47 PM   #601
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
WHAT? There is a real, serious issue in the US of costs going up, but TP is about the last thing that's a problem. I've gotten super cheap TP at Wal-Mart, you don't have to buy Charmin (which, IMHO, doesn't feel as good as the cheap stuff anyways).
You get that "super cheap" TP at Wal-Mart because the employees are using food stamps to buy food, housing assistance to pay for rent, and ACA to receive medical care or go to the emergency room. So the "cheap" TP is paid for out of our tax dollars to subsidies Wal-Mart.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:58 PM   #602
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Because this is not the ad thread, this is the Fall update thread, and we have plenty of items to still discuss in it, but we are sick and tired of the "anti-ad" crew not letting it go.
Ask a moderator to remove any posts that are truly off topic.

As someone mentioned above, the ads are new to Fall update, and should be considered on topic for the "Fall update thread"... Of course, I am a ad hater, so I am probably wrong.
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:01 AM   #603
defond

So I have the update on both of my premieres one of them has the what to watch now thing in tivo central and the other one doesn't, does anyone know why it would only be showing up on one box but not the other?

Both have software version 20.2.7.1a01-2-746
Old 11-18-2013, 12:18 AM   #604
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

This thread is hopelessly diluted, and my attempts to rescue it have failed.

In case nobody else has noticed, there are a growing number of NEW threads in the Premiere area, related to THIS update, where people are just starting new threads for ONE SINGLE ISSUE that they came across after the update, rather than posting in this thread.

Tomorrow, I'll be starting a new thread, with a title that specifies Premiere, this SPECIFIC update, and that it's for BUG-related discussion only, with a sticky banning discussion of ads. Then the moderators will be fully justified, if they nuke every ad-related post.

If you don't want me to be the initiator of what I describe, then beat me to it, and please post a link to the new thread in this one. The thread title is just too vague, leaving nearly anything anybody wants to say not off-topic, as long as it has anything to do with the update.

I only clung to this one to be the main area, because tivomargret was the OP. But, she's obviously not monitoring it, and the thread title doesn't even mention the software version, so many may not even come across it in their searches.

PM me if you don't mind me creating a specific, and focused thread, for bugs only, if you have any suggestions or requests for the title, sticky, etc.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:21 AM   #605
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by defond View Post
So I have the update on both of my premieres one of them has the what to watch now thing in tivo central and the other one doesn't, does anyone know why it would only be showing up on one box but not the other?

I don't have that on all four of my 746 units (What To Watch Now), and have had the update for over two weeks. It sounds like something I might have a use for. What is it, exactly?
Old 11-18-2013, 01:52 AM   #606
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:

What do you see in place of the "what to watch" bar? Are the squares there, but devoid of content?
Old 11-18-2013, 03:17 AM   #607
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS View Post
What do you see in place of the "what to watch" bar? Are the squares there, but devoid of content?
"What To Watch Now" is not on any of my 3 Premieres either, not in TiVo Central or the popcorn menu item in "My Shows". I am glad it is not there. I wonder why it shows up for some and not for others?

I do have them on the Roamio Pro, but not the Premieres.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:34 AM   #608
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
"What To Watch Now" is not on any of my 3 Premieres either, not in TiVo Central or the popcorn menu item in "My Shows". I am glad it is not there. I wonder why it shows up for some and not for others?

What is a "Popcorn menu"?

This is the second mention of it, and I have no idea what it is.

Screenshots, of "Popcorn Menu" & "What To Watch" please, anybody?

Perhaps not an option for 746's, just 748's or higher?
Old 11-18-2013, 05:07 AM   #609
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post

Interesting. Do you have empty space at the top of the screen (above the words TiVo Central and to the left of the Live Preview)?
Old 11-18-2013, 05:23 AM   #610
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post

This pic (sorry for the really bad quality and distance from the TV) has the "what to watch" bar circled in red while in TiVo Central. I don't know what the "popcorn menu" is, and I can't find it on my box.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo-13.jpg (36.3 KB, 80 views)
Old 11-18-2013, 06:01 AM   #611
trailmix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Not fixed here...same as before.

CORRECTION: This isn't the problem; it's the switching from My Shows back and forth to live where the audio drops continue to occur. Switching between the guide and live is seamless.
Quote:
Mine's actually gotten buggier, as it sometimes won't come back after rewinding to see something again. I'll have to see how it plays out. Hopefully it works it way out...
As pointed out, actually looks like it isn't fixed, but I'm pretty sure the lost audio is less than it used to be. Before it would just have muted video playing for several seconds, but now the video and audio is lost for maybe 1 second so it is less noticeable. The problem seems to be with all iterations (switching to/from Guide, My Shows, To Do List, etc)
trailmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:46 AM   #612
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
This pic (sorry for the really bad quality and distance from the TV) has the "what to watch" bar circled in red while in TiVo Central. I don't know what the "popcorn menu" is, and I can't find it on my box.
That is not the "What to Watch Now" area. That is a picture of the "Discovery Bar".

Here is a picture from Zatz of the top-level menu with "What to Watch Now" visible:

And a picture of the screen you enter when you select the menu item
(from Persephone Magazine (never heard of them, just used Google image search for appropriate shots):

You can also clearly see the font and color changes in the Roamio HDUI. The first picture is from a mini still using the older Premiere HDUI.

I'd like to hear about the "Popcorn menu" too. Screenshots welcome!
A Web app for Roku Remote Control
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:54 AM   #613
ADG
Allan

If this is mentioned elsewhere in this 21 page thread I apologize. Since this update I need two steps to set a recording from the guide. After the previous update, if I opened the guide, chose a program and pressed "select" the program would immediately be set to record. Now a dialog box comes up requiring confirmation to record the program (this is the way it was BEFORE the previous update). Why would TiVo go back to requiring two steps to record rather than the much simpler one step??? And is there a shortcut to reinstate the one-step record? Thanks.

ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:56 AM   #614
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzotek View Post
I'd like to hear about the "Popcorn menu" too. Screenshots welcome!
I don't have a pic, but the "Popcorn Menu" refers to an additional line item in the "My shows" list at the bottom with things like Youtube, Netflix, Etc. which is for "What to Watch Now" and has a box of popcorn as the icon at left.

I haven't looked yet to see if this can be disabled via the "My Video Providers" screen in the settings. Just another redundant listing at the bottom of "My Shows" to make that list even longer.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:33 AM   #615
JoeKustra
Cable only

Correct. It's the icon after "Recently Deleted" in "MY SHOWS". It's not listed in "Video Providers".

If you have a lot of My Shows you may not see it. If you have two units and transfer a lot you will see if frequently. Other online units and Desktop follow it.

Last edited by JoeKustra : 11-18-2013 at 09:38 AM.
JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:07 AM   #616
lantern123

I have a question concerning the change to WishLists. When I go to the WishList Searches/All Upcoming screen, I get a report on each WishList, even those that do not have any shows attached to them. The message is: "There are no shows matching this WishList in the next two weeks."

In the previous software, WishLists without upcoming shows simply did not show up in the upcoming list. This new feature is extremely annoying and unnecessary. How can I turn off this feature? That is, I no longer want to see negative reports. Only listings of WishLists with upcoming shows are needed. Thanks.
lantern123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:20 AM   #617
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
... you don't have to buy Charmin (which, IMHO, doesn't feel as good as the cheap stuff anyways).
My butt says otherwise...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:21 AM   #618
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
...While Andy's post was offered as an olive branch, yours and Bierboy's were just noise - the exact kind of noise that you claim to hate - you know, off topic posts.
Yeah, it takes up SO much space and takes up SO much of your time to read a one-word post....
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:50 AM   #619
Jed1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post

As already mentioned the "popcorn box" is an icon found in "My Shows" list and can not be removed. It is the same thing as "What to Watch Now" from the TiVo Central Menu.
I do not know if TiVo collects metadata from this if you use it.

Also new with the update, there is a gold star with a Carbonite ad in each of my recorded shows folders.

Last edited by Jed1 : 11-18-2013 at 07:12 PM. Reason: spelling error
Jed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:19 AM   #620
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed1 View Post
I do not know if TiVo collects metadata form this if you use it.
Pretty certain they collect metadata about every interaction you perform with your TiVo.
A Web app for Roku Remote Control
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:33 PM   #621
JoeKustra
Cable only

They probably know if you buy Carbonite or Bounty.
JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #622
hfcsyrup

i had unplugged my chromecast after i got the update. clearly that was dumb thinking on my part. the DIAL in the fall update is worthless. initally, it starts the video, then 5 seconds later restarts the video. that isnt so bad. then when you pick another video it reloads the youtube app all over again. each time. there is no 'add to queue' type feature?
hfcsyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:16 PM   #623
Grakthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfcsyrup View Post
i had unplugged my chromecast after i got the update. clearly that was dumb thinking on my part. the DIAL in the fall update is worthless. initally, it starts the video, then 5 seconds later restarts the video. that isnt so bad. then when you pick another video it reloads the youtube app all over again. each time. there is no 'add to queue' type feature?
DIAL doesn't work that way. DIAL is a simple "load this file" protocol. The features you like in the Chromecast are due to a custom google API for implementing DIAL and some additional control features.
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:21 PM   #624
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfcsyrup View Post
I have used the Dial feature with YouTube from my Android tablet to my Roamio, there is an add to queue feature, the videos play continuously without reloading the YouTube app and the whole thing works extremely well. I have not tested it on my Premiere but it should work the same way.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:30 PM   #625
defond

Quote:
No there's no blank spot where it should be. It's just not there. It's just weird that one of my premieres has it and the other one doesn't.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:53 PM   #626
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
No there's no blank spot where it should be. It's just not there. It's just weird that one of my premieres has it and the other one doesn't.
It's also weird that my 4 Premieres, with the update, don't have the popcorn thing or the What To Watch Now.

I intentionally did some drive changing before the rollout hit

2 Premieres w/stock 320GB drives.
1 Premiere w/DVR_DUDE 2TB drive.
1 Premiere w/JMFS prepared 2TB drive, using the original stock drive that came with it as the drive to copy, then using JMFS to do the rest of the process.

They are all TCD746320, 2-Tuner Premieres.

The new (and yes they are updated from older ones) TiVo Premiere Tours video downloads happened on all, except the JMFS prepped drive. It was likely just a fluke, and not related to either the drives, or how they were prepared.

That NONE of them got any "popcorn" things, or the What To Watch Now added to them, I find much more intriguing.

Thank You, to those who uploaded screen shots. I was wondering if people were calling the "Discovery Bar" one or the other, or both, but apparently they are both separate items, and one other person also thought the WTWN item was the same as the DB, only to be proven that's not the case.

This is the kind of thing I like to see happening in update threads. Proper discussion, people trying to help, and leaving ads out of it.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:01 PM   #627
xander777

Same here

I have 2 premieres and neither of them have WTWN or the popcorn menu.
I thought it might have something to do with the fact that I had to have Margret force my TSNs to get the update since they fell off the priority list.
xander777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:11 PM   #628
Jed1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
Every time I see the Carbonite ad I see the episode from the original Star Trek called "The Corbomite Maneuver" and the puppet that Commander Balok used.
I just can not get that image out of my mind.
http://www.startrek.com/database_art...e-maneuver-the

A bug with the guide I see is if you set a recording any where in the guide at a forward date and when you return to the guide you end up back at the current date and time. This is with the grid guide. This does not happen with the TiVo Live guide.
Jed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:17 PM   #629
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander777 View Post
I have 2 premieres and neither of them have WTWN or the popcorn menu.
I thought it might have something to do with the fact that I had to have Margret force my TSNs to get the update since they fell off the priority list.
I also had to email Margret my TSNs, because they got lost in the black hole.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:55 AM   #630
chiguy50

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
. . . Just pray they're not collecting video of what you do with the Charmin!
chiguy50 is online now   Reply With Quote