TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-28-2013, 07:10 PM   #31
overFEDEXed

Trying it out now

I'm checking it out now. This box is soooooooo aggravating to use, compared to my Roamio. I try not to use it too much.

I sometimes wonder if my two-tuner is slower than most. I have one new unit, still in the box. Maybe for kicks I will try it, with no hard drive upgrade.

Also, I now have a "Network and Phone" choice now, on my Tivo "Settings" menu???

Last edited by overFEDEXed : 10-29-2013 at 04:52 AM.
overFEDEXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #32
JWhites

Please tell us what changes you all are seeing after the update. Is the program truncation fixed?
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:26 PM   #33
Dan203
Super Moderator

Both YouTube and Netflx support DIAL, but I tried it with both apps and had trouble. The YouTube app restarted the first time. Then the video I played got stuck in a loop where it would play the first 10 seconds, then pause and restart. The Netflix app restarted the first time too, then when it came back up it had an error on screen which I could not dismiss with the remote. So I disconnected the iPad app from the TiVo and the TiVo rebooted. On the plus side I briefly played with the Netflix app directly on the TiVo and navigation seems faster then I remember. Start up time is still slow, but the app itself feels more usable. Although still not as fast as my Roamio.

The main HDUI does not feel any faster. I don't really see anything in there other then what Margret listed. Also I do not see What To Watch Now, but maybe I need to force another call to get that?

Edit: After more testing DIAL for Netflix does not work. It actually does the same thing as the app on my Samsung TV. You start a video and the app just reboots. Then the iPad app says "unable to play video on remote device". This works fine on my Roamio.

Edit 2: After the box settled down a bit the HDUI actually does seem a bit faster then I remember. I haven't used the Premiere much since getting my Roamio, but compared to the little bit of navigation I did before getting the update it does seem slightly more responsive. Although maybe it was just in need of a reboot and that's why it seems faster. I'll reserve judgement on that for people who use their Premiere units more frequently.

Edit 3: Forced two calls and still no What To Watch Now. They must need to flip a switch on their end for that.

Last edited by Dan203 : 10-28-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:40 PM   #34
buzzword

How long does it take to complete installation of the Fall Update?

Ho long did it take to install?
buzzword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:45 PM   #35
rsnaider

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzword View Post
Ho long did it take to install?
About 30 minutes which included the download.

I would imagine things could be a little slower now that more people might be attempting to pull down the software.

TiVo Roamio Pro
TiVo Premier - WD 1TB Expander
TiVo Premier XL
TiVo Premier Elite
TiVo Mini
rsnaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:19 PM   #36
Dan203
Super Moderator

I was hoping that with the addition of DTA that a 2 tuner Premiere could now be used as a Mini host, but nope. With the Roamio you can borrow all of the tuners for a Mini except the one that's currently in the foreground, which means a 2 tuner Premiere could technically support a Mini now even with live TV. So the limitation is completely artificial now.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:20 PM   #37
jjd_87

Well I've been forcing connections all evening and still nothing. Bummer...
jjd_87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:21 PM   #38
MeInDallas

Me too, I've done it a bunch of times. I guess they roll it out little by little, not really sure.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:30 PM   #39
Dan203
Super Moderator

Just checked my Wife's XL4. It made an automatic call at 3:51pm and it says pending restart. She's got a bunch of stuff recording tonight, so it'll have to reboot on it's own at 2:00am.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:36 PM   #40
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Just checked my Wife's XL4. It made an automatic call at 3:51pm and it says pending restart. She's got a bunch of stuff recording tonight, so it'll have to reboot on it's own at 2:00am.
Yeah according to TiVo tech support, the boxes don't restart on their own anymore because of too many complaints from customers who are interrupted while watching live television.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:31 PM   #41
buzzword

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsnaider View Post
About 30 minutes which included the download.

I would imagine things could be a little slower now that more people might be attempting to pull down the software.
Thanks Ron, much appreciated

Dean
buzzword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:11 PM   #42
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Well I was signed up on the priority list and my box connected about an hour ago and no update.

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:18 PM   #43
ajwees41

signed up shortly after the list became open again and just tried a connection at 10 P.M. central time no update yet.
ajwees41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:23 PM   #44
MeInDallas

I hope thats not all for today that are getting it.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:56 PM   #45
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhites View Post
Yeah according to TiVo tech support, the boxes don't restart on their own anymore because of too many complaints from customers who are interrupted while watching live television.
If that were true no one would ever get an update. They restart at 2:00am unless you have a scheduled recording. If you do it reboots during the next open time slot. I stay up late and I've been in a lot of betas (weekly updates) so I've seen this happen a lot.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:25 AM   #46
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Just forced a connection, and no update here either. Been on the list for a while (not sure exactly when I signed up though).
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:12 AM   #47
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
If that were true no one would ever get an update. They restart at 2:00am unless you have a scheduled recording. If you do it reboots during the next open time slot. I stay up late and I've been in a lot of betas (weekly updates) so I've seen this happen a lot.
It used to but that isn't the case this time. I was on the phone with tier 2 support last night for over an hour and he read me the email from the head engineer about this update. It's labeled a manual update, which means that after it downloads the update it will say "pending restart" until it is manually restarted. That's what he called it. I'm just repeating it. I know this was the cast last time as well since I had one Premiere that downloaded the 20.3.1 update and was stating "pending restart" which I didn't restart for two weeks until it ran out of guide data and I had no choice but to.

Last edited by JWhites : 10-29-2013 at 07:11 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:16 AM   #48
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

I am EXTREMELY pleased that they FINALLY enabled Dynamic Tuner Allocation on the Premiere. Finally. Finally. Finally. Finally. Finally. I can't wait to get home from work today and test out live TV on my Mini with PLS that I bought in March that I do not use!

If we could just get Android support, I can die in peace.
TiVo HDXL TCD658000
TiVo HD TCD652160 + WD 500GB Expander
Retired: Philips Series 1 HDR212 & TiVo Series 2 540080
NotNowChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:14 AM   #49
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNowChief View Post
I am EXTREMELY pleased that they FINALLY enabled Dynamic Tuner Allocation on the Premiere. Finally. Finally. Finally. Finally. Finally. I can't wait to get home from work today and test out live TV on my Mini with PLS that I bought in March that I do not use!

If we could just get Android support, I can die in peace.
Good luck to you Let's hope this time next month we'll see the out of home streaming come to the TiVo Stream so Premiere users can enjoy it too. Maybe this is when the Android app will be updated to support it...
Old 10-29-2013, 07:14 AM   #50
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
It used to but that isn't the case this time. I was on the phone with tier 2 support last night for over an hour and he read me the email from the head engineer about this update. It's labeled a manual update, which means that after it downloads the update it will say "pending restart" until it is manually restarted. That's what he called it. I'm just repeating it. I know this was the cast last time as well since I had one Premiere that downloaded the 20.3.1 update and was stating "pending restart" which I didn't restart for two weeks until it ran out of guide data and I had no choice but to.
That seems like a strange change to me. Most users will never see the "pending restart" message unless they go looking for it. Maybe I am missing some new message TiVo has installed to reboot manually on TiVo Central (or somewhere similar)?
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:27 AM   #51
jrtroo
User

Quote:
Good luck to you Let's hope this time next month we'll see the out of home streaming come to the TiVo Stream so Premiere users can enjoy it too. Maybe this is when the Android app will be updated to support it...
I don't believe these are linked. Reports are that the update to OOH is weeks away, while Android support is seasons away.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:46 AM   #52
muzzymate

Any first hand experience with the new Youtube app's speed? Is it still as painfully slow as the current version?
muzzymate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:47 AM   #53
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS View Post
That seems like a strange change to me. Most users will never see the "pending restart" message unless they go looking for it. Maybe I am missing some new message TiVo has installed to reboot manually on TiVo Central (or somewhere similar)?
I agree with you there, it's not the best implementation but I'm guessing the engineers have their reasons. As far as I can tell there isn't any notice that a restart is pending aside from the Network Connection screen and System Info screen which as you've pointed out, a user would have to be watching out for.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:47 AM   #54
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

Quote:
You know, I got an e-mail from TiVo last night about the OOH Streaming "Now Available". There was a picture of the Roamio and the Stream in it, and I honestly LAUGHED OUT LOUD when I saw that the picture of the Stream in the e-mail had a red text ballon overlaid of the picture that contained the caption "Coming Holidays 2013". You just have to laugh. Let's see how long that gets delayed...
TiVo HDXL TCD658000
Old 10-29-2013, 07:51 AM   #55
JWhites

You mean this? http://messaging.tivo.com/Portal/con...=8905&b=106279
Old 10-29-2013, 07:52 AM   #56
JWhites

I think TiVo should give every Premiere subscriber a free TiVo Stream as an apology for any number of reasons that have caused us to be dissatisfied with our experience.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:53 AM   #57
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

Quote:
Yup Hahahahahahaha
TiVo HDXL TCD658000
Old 10-29-2013, 07:59 AM   #58
troasti

I was excited thinking my premiere would finally have decent apps for hulu, Netflix, youtube etc. Netflix is especially embarrassing crashing, CC stuck on screen, slow interface etc. I think I’m going to have to finally throw in the towel and buy a roku 3. =(
troasti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:53 AM   #59
SugarBowl
Roamio Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS View Post
They could use the "Messages" area for something that is actually helpful...
SugarBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:52 AM   #60
ajwees41

still no update for me
ajwees41 is online now   Reply With Quote