Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-03-2013, 11:32 PM   #361
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
The only "new" thing in that regard I have seen is the banner ad when paused, No "new stars" anywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Yeah, I don't see anything like that either.
I have a Star Showcase Item (currently "Try Carbonite!" at the bottom of random group folders. Just like in the Roamio.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:55 AM   #362
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
I have a Star Showcase Item (currently "Try Carbonite!" at the bottom of random group folders. Just like in the Roamio.
Same here, but, as I said, that's the only new "ad" I see with the the update.
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:34 AM   #363
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Grr, looks like they still haven't fixed the long-standing bug where it sometimes forgets your position in a show it's recording that you're watching behind live. Was flipping between NFL games yesterday and all was going well until late in one of the games - went to resume play and it reset playback to the beginning.

Oh well, at least it doesn't happen all that often, and it only happens on active recordings from what I've seen.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:37 AM   #364
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Grr, looks like they still haven't fixed the long-standing bug where it sometimes forgets your position in a show it's recording that you're watching behind live. Was flipping between NFL games yesterday and all was going well until late in one of the games - went to resume play and it reset playback to the beginning.

Oh well, at least it doesn't happen all that often, and it only happens on active recordings from what I've seen.
At least it doesn't reset playback to live!
Old 11-04-2013, 08:51 AM   #365
jeff92k7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHunter1 View Post
I pay top-dollar for the TiVo service because I dislike the banner ads cablecos show on every page while navigating their UI. Are you saying with v20.3.7 TiVo now shows gold star ads on every page of the My Shows list like cheaper DVRs?
What I have noticed so far is that in some folders in the 'My Shows' list, there will be an extra entry. That entry will have a gold star next to it and currently is an advertisement for carbonite online backup. It appears in the list in the same way that an episode of the corresponding show would, so when you're reading show names, there's an ad for you to read too.

The pause screen advertisements have also increased in size. Before, they were a single line of text, now they're a big intrusive box that blocks a larger portion of the screen.

This adds to the annoyance of the stupid Discovery bar that is another place to shove ads in your face.

I'm so sick of seeing ads for Bounty paper towels and Carbonite backup. I don't want Carbonite, I already use crashplan. I told my wife never to buy bounty again because of the intrusive ads. She agrees that the ads are ridiculous and annoying.

Again, I pay for TiVo service, I paid for the box, I am NOT paying to see ads. If they want to shove ads down my throat, then give me the box and service for free and let the ad revenue pay for it.
jeff92k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:05 PM   #366
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff92k7 View Post
Again, I pay for TiVo service, I paid for the box, I am NOT paying to see ads. If they want to shove ads down my throat, then give me the box and service for free and let the ad revenue pay for it.
Where in any agreement does Tivo ever say that they would not show you ads? Because they have never said that, they've just found a way to insert them to the ecosystem and not require any different actions to your viewing habits, they have been careful to never interfere with your actions in showing you ads.

The long held opinion of the "line in the sand" is the moment that they require a user to do a separate action to bypass an ad.
Both of those however are subjects for other threads...
Old 11-04-2013, 12:28 PM   #367
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
...they have been careful to never interfere with your actions in showing you ads.
Not careful enough because it DOES interfere with my normal use. I've noticed at least 3 different disruptions:

1. Currently when a show ends and you press left arrow to exit the menu to delete or keep shows up and then a second or two later it is re-created with the gold star inserted which disrupts and delays deleting the show. I know it's just a second or two but it's annoying.

2. Also another problem is when you use -> or channel down to scroll all the way to the bottom of a list, quite frequently now you then have to scroll back up and away from a gold star.

3. The size of the pause ads is a little ridiculous, especially seeing as they don't even populate the whole box. I do use SPSPS so only see the pause ad being drawn for a few milliseconds, but even that is annoying enough for me. I can't imagine without SPSPS enabled how annoying it is to have to press clear or down arrow to get rid of it.

At the end of the day I know these are minor nits, but they do detract from user experience without a doubt, and as is obvious from reactions here ultimately does not help the advertisers sell more of their product - quite the contrary. I also have blacklisted Bounty and Carbonite FWIW.
To me one of the main reasons to own a DVR is to help avoid Ads and TiVo is making that harder.
I've learned to ignore the Discovery Bar. If anything TiVo should make more use of that for Ads than they currently do (seeing as we can't get rid of Discovery Bar anyway) and stop with this gold star nonsense all over the place.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

Last edited by moyekj : 11-04-2013 at 12:35 PM.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:44 PM   #368
Loach

I finally broke down and emailed Margret as my priority update request obviously went into the black hole permanently. If others' experience is any indication, I expect I'll see the update within 24 hours, if not by the time I get home from work.
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:53 PM   #369
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Not careful enough because it DOES interfere with my normal use. I've noticed at least 3 different disruptions:

1. Currently when a show ends and you press left arrow to exit the menu to delete or keep shows up and then a second or two later it is re-created with the gold star inserted which disrupts and delays deleting the show. I know it's just a second or two but it's annoying.

2. Also another problem is when you use -> or channel down to scroll all the way to the bottom of a list, quite frequently now you then have to scroll back up and away from a gold star.
I have seen NEITHER of these, and I've had the update since late last week...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:15 PM   #370
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
I have seen NEITHER of these, and I've had the update since late last week...
You'll see it eventually. I don't use my series 4 units anymore so don't know if they've been afflicted yet, but my Roamio Pro has both of these cases right now.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:56 PM   #371
telamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
I finally broke down and emailed Margret as my priority update request obviously went into the black hole permanently. If others' experience is any indication, I expect I'll see the update within 24 hours, if not by the time I get home from work.
I'm stuck in the same boat and I need to shamelessly up my Forum post count to qualify for sending PM/Email to Margret.
telamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #372
telamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneg View Post
Still have not gotten either of my Premiere's updated. Tried re-adding to priority list, but was already on it. Then I sent an email to Margret. We'll see if that helps.
Trying to get my post count up so I can email Margret.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #373
telamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawazar View Post
I installed my Premiere 4 and Mini on Friday. The Mini did the fall update but not the DVR which I thought was strange.
So do I need to put my Mini's TSN on the priority list also? Or just my Premiere's TSN?
Old 11-04-2013, 04:02 PM   #374
jrtroo
User

you can just email her through email. No need to junk up this thread in order to do so.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:12 PM   #375
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by timstack8969 View Post
Was hoping for a better "Menu Interface" with the Xfinity Ondemand" App with new software update.
That's something to take up with Comcast since they're the one who created the app.
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:24 PM   #376
JWhites

Quote:
20.3.7 software has built in Opera browser, so that's what is being used. (And ironically the built in Opera browser itself doesn't support Flash).
At least it's not Internet Explorer.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:59 PM   #377
Doit2it

Just got one of the big 'Pause" ads the Roamio threads have been disgusted with. Yes it was for Carbonite. Oh well, guess my $700 wasn't enough for Tivo.

Tivo XL4 w/LT :: TiVo HD w/LT & 2TB :: LG 47" & 42" HDTVs
Tivo HD w/LT - Mom :: Series 2 80 - Boxed :: Series 2 40 - Boxed
Doit2it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:19 PM   #378
Dan203
Super Moderator

Yeah the ads suck. I wish they had an option to opt out. Even if it cost a fee I'd likely do it.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:25 PM   #379
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doit2it View Post

....Tivo Service Level - changed. Used to be xxx0xx, now it's xxx7xx. Might change every time there's an update, this is just the 1st time I noticed.
My TiVo Service Level reads 120113
Old 11-04-2013, 07:34 PM   #380
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
The only "new" thing in that regard I have seen is the banner ad when paused, No "new stars" anywhere.
I've noticed a gold star and an ad located in the folder of a recorded television series. I'm looking at it now. It's an ad that reads "★ Get a $1 Bounty coupon" which when I click on it it takes me to the Bounty ad located in Showcases.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:51 PM   #381
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doit2it View Post
Just got one of the big 'Pause" ads the Roamio threads have been disgusted with. Yes it was for Carbonite. Oh well, guess my $700 wasn't enough for Tivo.
The ads must be working because you all are complaining about them.

On a positive note the update seem more responsive and I really like the genre search in the guild data.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #382
xander777

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhites View Post
My TiVo Service Level reads 120113
That's the date you are paid up till.
xander777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:52 PM   #383
Davelnlr_

Quote:

3. The size of the pause ads is a little ridiculous, especially seeing as they don't even populate the whole box. I do use SPSPS so only see the pause ad being drawn for a few milliseconds, but even that is annoying enough for me. I can't imagine without SPSPS enabled how annoying it is to have to press clear or down arrow to get rid of it.
Im thankful to this forum for turning me on to SPSPS; those ads were driving me nuts when I hit pause to see what was ultimately always BEHIND the ad.
Davelnlr_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:35 PM   #384
Cheezmo

Don't know if it has anything to do with the update, but I received it a few days ago and just and a case of the Tivo not being able to tune any channels with Verizon Fios. I checked my Fios DVR and everything was fine. Had to reboot the Tivo and it is working again. I see there is a long thread of people having this issue (although I'm not sure with Fios) but it never happened to me before this update. Lost a couple of season pass recordings that didn't happen before I noticed it.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:13 AM   #385
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Where in any agreement does Tivo ever say that they would not show you ads? Because they have never said that, they've just found a way to insert them to the ecosystem and not require any different actions to your viewing habits, they have been careful to never interfere with your actions in showing you ads...
Your statement above is not accurate. Anytime a user has to press even ONE button to dismiss an ad TiVo has interfered with the user's interaction with the UI.

The simple example is when a user presses pause to get a longer/better look at an image on screen. When an ad pops up and covers up part of the image the user paused on, they are forced to press another button to dismiss the ad.
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:50 AM   #386
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Looks like they didn't fix the occasional audio bug where playback is in mono instead of stereo when you skip forward/back, noticed it yesterday when playing back an NBC recording. This one is fairly uncommon too and is easily worked around by doing another trickplay function, but it should have been fixed by now.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:42 AM   #387
johnmsch

Very disappointed in the latest update after discovering that the "Browse Web Videos" option was removed. Why was this done? I used that option quite a bit to look for new podcasts to subscribe to.

Saying that "you can find web videos in Search, or use the "Web Video Hotlist", AOL.on, or YouTube apps" is not the same! To use those, you pretty much have to know what you are searching for. That doesn't give us the option to just browse everything by category the way that "Browse Web Videos" did.

Please bring this back!!!!!!!
johnmsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:54 AM   #388
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmsch View Post
Very disappointed in the latest update after discovering that the "Browse Web Videos" option was removed. Why was this done? I used that option quite a bit to look for new podcasts to subscribe to.

Saying that "you can find web videos in Search, or use the "Web Video Hotlist", AOL.on, or YouTube apps" is not the same! To use those, you pretty much have to know what you are searching for. That doesn't give us the option to just browse everything by category the way that "Browse Web Videos" did.

Please bring this back!!!!!!!
I feel your pain. They removed "Browse Web Videos" on the Roamios from the start. You can go to TiVo's web site and still "browse", at least when the site is working, that is how I setup all my podcasts on my Roamio.
https://www.tivo.com/tivo-tco/go.do?...webvideos.page

R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:39 AM   #389
marinrain

Can't see Margaret's email without 10 posts --- and tried Support at Tivo and my reply said the update was not yet available??!!
marinrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:50 AM   #390
mae

email

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinrain View Post
Can't see Margaret's email without 10 posts --- and tried Support at Tivo and my reply said the update was not yet available??!!
margret at tivo dot com
mae is offline   Reply With Quote