Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-02-2013, 03:22 PM   #331
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doit2it View Post
Recording Capacity - Reduced from 318 hrs to 316 hrs. But if I ever get in a situation where I wish I had those 2 hours, I'd better start watching shows
That's just a guess anyway. They may have just changed the guess slightly and that's why that's different. Digital channels are recorded in their pure digital format, so the amount of space required for an hour of content can vary wildly from show to show and network to network. It all depends on the settings the broadcaster uses to encode the video. I calculated it once and TiVo uses an estimate based on 15Mbps. Channel can actually be as high as 20Mbps and as low as 12Mbps for HD. So they're just guessing based on an average. If you were to actually fill your TiVo to the brim you could potentially be +/- 50 hours compared to that estimate.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:37 PM   #332
Doit2it

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
What is with the icon of a Red Circle Slash now on copy protected shows when browsing a Remote DVR?
Now you cannot tell the status of the recording, Blue, Green, Yellow, Yellow-Exclamation, also cannot see if it is still recording.

It makes it look like you cannot even MRS-Stream the show, although you can, The regular icons were fine, this just looks wrong.

Is anyone else seeing this awful change, Blue dot replaced by Red Circle Slash for copy protected recordings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
That has always been there....I've had that show up for shows on my XL4 when browsing on my HD ever since I've had it (one year)...

Correction in my case -- I see those red circles when remotely viewing my Premiere on my HD.
Browsing from my Tivo HD to shows on my XL4 there has been no change. The only items that have the red slash are web videos I've put in my XL4 via Tivo Desktop (they always do). I do not have any Premium channels with my cable service.

I did notice I do not have any green or blue dots, but I do have yellow and yellow exclamation and red for currently recording. But I think it has always been that way.

Also, browsing the other direction(XL4 to THD), everything has yellow exclamation except currently recording (red loop). Even a green and a blue on the THD show yellow exclamation on the XL4 browser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
That's just a guess anyway. They may have just changed the guess slightly and that's why that's different.
I noticed on some screen shots in the Roamio forum that capacity for 2TB HDs was 316 hrs, not 318 as the THD and XL4 have always shown until this update. But since it's a loss of 0.6% capacity, it's a non issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tivo XL4 w/LT :: TiVo HD w/LT & 2TB :: LG 47" & 42" HDTVs
Tivo HD w/LT - Mom :: Series 2 80 - Boxed :: Series 2 40 - Boxed

Last edited by Doit2it : 11-02-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Doit2it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #333
cwoody222

Got my update yesterday.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:06 PM   #334
mrsean

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDallas View Post
You might try and email her if you wanna go to the trouble. I sent her a message with my TSN and she flipped the switch and I had it like 5 minutes later.
This worked. I received the update last night. Thanks!

Retired: DirecTiVo, Series 2 DT, TiVo HD, Premiere, Premiere 4, TiVo Stream
mrsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:15 PM   #335
hfcsyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgnad View Post
One thing I noticed... And I don't think I'm imagining it? but now with the update, when I watch shows on my Mini using MRS from my XL4, the ff function is smoother/ less choppy now, more like you're watching it locally. I feel like it used to look like it was updating the image less often. Or am I just overtired? Lol
It is definitely noticeably more a local ff/rw experience from the mini now, it looks as if we're getting close to double the framerate while ffwding.

Also noticed recently delted folder populating much quicker.

Also not seeing 'WtWN'.

I emailed margret yesterday and got the update last night.
nice to be able to watch some live football on my mini now.
hfcsyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:53 PM   #336
MPSAN

Any idea when this update will be sent to everyone who did not sign up?
Old 11-02-2013, 05:26 PM   #337
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSAN View Post
If you want it soon you can still sign up. I signed up a few days ago and got the updates the next day on my Premiere & Elite.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:34 PM   #338
Doit2it

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSAN View Post

I would guess within the next week or so. You can still add yourself to the Priority list. If you don't see it within a couple of days after that, the OP of this thread has been tweeting for people with issues the email their TSN to her and get on the list. She's always very helpful with Tivo users.

Tivo XL4 w/LT :: TiVo HD w/LT & 2TB :: LG 47" & 42" HDTVs
Tivo HD w/LT - Mom :: Series 2 80 - Boxed :: Series 2 40 - Boxed
Doit2it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:39 PM   #339
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doit2it View Post
Browsing from my Tivo HD to shows on my XL4 there has been no change. The only items that have the red slash are web videos I've put in my XL4 via Tivo Desktop (they always do). I do not have any Premium channels with my cable service.

I did notice I do not have any green or blue dots, but I do have yellow and yellow exclamation and red for currently recording. But I think it has always been that way.

Also, browsing the other direction(XL4 to THD), everything has yellow exclamation except currently recording (red loop). Even a green and a blue on the THD show yellow exclamation on the XL4 browser...
Yes, that describes exactly what I see here, too...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:52 PM   #340
reneg

Still have not gotten either of my Premiere's updated. Tried re-adding to priority list, but was already on it. Then I sent an email to Margret. We'll see if that helps.
reneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:33 PM   #341
JWhites

Ok got the update today on both boxes and it's alright. Still has that truncation issue but I can deal with that a little longer. I did notice that in the DVR Diagnostics screen the Firmware version is listed when I don't think it was before. I also noticed signal strength for each tuner now has a percentage sign % next to the number which is new.
Do question how I would know when the Netflix and Youtube apps are using HTML5 and not Flash?
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:02 AM   #342
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhites View Post
Do question how I would know when the Netflix and Youtube apps are using HTML5 and not Flash?
They're still Flash for now. You'll notice the difference when switched to html. One tell is that for html versions the zoom or 'B' button act as go back to previous screen. Likely TiVo is waiting for general release of 20.3.7 before activating the HTML versions. It is possible to run html versions already on series4 units via RPC. As expected on series 4 units the html versions are much more sluggish compared to running on series 5 units, but very functional.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:33 AM   #343
beobuff

I registered for the Priority List the day it opened. After several weeks of zero results, I E-mailed Margret yesterday morning and got the update yesterday afternoon. Although it may have been just coincidental, I strongly suspect that the early requesters on the PL somehow went lost. Nice to know that she or her minions are working on Saturday.

As luck would have it, my Tivo Mini arrived yesterday as well. After my Premier Elite updated, I installed the Mini and noticed that it went through the exact same update procedure and took roughly about the same amount of time to do so. I would assume that the Mini upgrade was necessary to be on the same DTA page with the Premier.

Save for the slight time lag in changing live TV channels, I am very happy with the Mini, which I am using to replace a Tivo HD. The HDMI syncing issues I have had for the past several years have finally been remedied. I have already ordered a second Mini to replace my Tivo HD XL. The two unneeded cable cards will go back to Verizon first thing Monday morning. It will give me great pleasure to tell them why I am turning them in. The most recent increase in their CC rental fee was the final straw that broke the camel's back and prodded me to replace both the HD and HD XL with the two Minis. The advent of DTA clinched the deal for me, as I had been unwilling to give up two of my four tuners as required by the old software version. Sure, it will take me several years to break even, but sometimes it's just the principal of the thing. I am a big believer in the nobility of a futile gesture.
Tivo HD XL (for sale)
Tivo HD (for sale)
LG LST-3410A
beobuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:51 AM   #344
jrtroo
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by beobuff View Post
I registered for the Priority List the day it opened. After several weeks of zero results...
You do realize it has only been days since its initial release, not weeks, right?
Old 11-03-2013, 11:37 AM   #345
JWhites

Heres something interesting. I purposely tuned to a non authorized channel to see what would happen, and I get a message on screen which reads "This channel is not authorized. Contact your cable provider at 1-877-367-8486 for more information (V58)."
When I called it, it brought me to TiVo technical support. I wasn't aware TiVo was Comcast.
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:52 PM   #346
kawazar

I installed my Premiere 4 and Mini on Friday. The Mini did the fall update but not the DVR which I thought was strange.
kawazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:23 PM   #347
reneg

Both my Tivos updated this morning. No idea if it was my turn in the queue or the email to Margret.
reneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:12 PM   #348
Bigg

Finally got mine today (or yesterday maybe). I haven't checked out DTA yet, as my roommate is watching TV on the main TV.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #349
jhjones75

Still no updates here. Finally broke down and emailed her this morning.
jhjones75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:33 PM   #350
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
If you want it soon you can still sign up. I signed up a few days ago and got the updates the next day on my Premiere & Elite.
OH, if it is only a week or so I can wait.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:10 PM   #351
MHunter1
TiVo Bug Hunter

Does SPS-Pause-S still work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
a gigantic pause ad took up around 1/4 of the screen
I don't have v20.3.7 yet. Does the SPS-Pause-S code still work to hide the progress bar and Pause Ad automatically? For those who like to see the progress bar while paused, is there still an option to press Down to hide the ad for the remainder of the show?
MHunter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:19 PM   #352
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHunter1 View Post
I don't have v20.3.7 yet. Does the SPS-Pause-S code still work to hide the progress bar and Pause Ad automatically? For those who like to see the progress bar while paused, is there still an option to press Down to hide the ad for the remainder of the show?
Pressing down hides the ad but not for the remainder of the show...
Old 11-03-2013, 06:23 PM   #353
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Quote:
There is still the option. Good thing, 'cause its bigger now

edit to add: got beaten to the punch
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:40 PM   #354
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

I use the SPS blah blah code to quickly dump the progress bar/ads but I'm still able to determine the PB status...

XL4
Old 11-03-2013, 06:45 PM   #355
MHunter1
TiVo Bug Hunter

Ads on every page?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff92k7 View Post
even more ads... the new stars in the My Shows menus are very annoying
I pay top-dollar for the TiVo service because I dislike the banner ads cablecos show on every page while navigating their UI. Are you saying with v20.3.7 TiVo now shows gold star ads on every page of the My Shows list like cheaper DVRs?
MHunter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:13 PM   #356
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Fall Update for TiVo Premiere begins today

One thing I am noticing since the update is a greater lag when going to live from the My Shows list page. Very annoying. I don't know why it can't be like going back and forth to the program guide. That's seamless with no lag, black screen or audio drop...

XL4

Last edited by Bierboy : 11-03-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:43 PM   #357
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
Finally got mine today (or yesterday maybe). I haven't checked out DTA yet, as my roommate is watching TV on the main TV.
Or not. It appears I was seeing the Mini's SW version, not the Premiere, and the behavior changed a bit on Live TV, but that apparently was only due to the Mini, not the TiVo itself. I keep forcing connections, but I get nothing. Oh well, we've lived with it up until this point, a little longer isn't going to kill us...
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:21 PM   #358
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff92k7 View Post
I am NOT happy about the addition of even more ads. This is getting ridiculous. The new stars in the my shows menus are very annoying and are pissing me off. It would be one thing if the TiVo service was free and paid for by advertising, but it's NOT! I pay for the service and I DO NOT want to see more ads in the menus.

TiVo needs to get rid of all these forced ads or they're going to lose me as a customer.
Quote:
I pay top-dollar for the TiVo service because I dislike the banner ads cablecos show on every page while navigating their UI. Are you saying with v20.3.7 TiVo now shows gold star ads on every page of the My Shows list like cheaper DVRs?
The only "new" thing in that regard I have seen is the banner ad when paused, No "new stars" anywhere.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:44 PM   #359
defond

I downloaded the update a few days ago and I'm still not seeing the what to watch now in tivo central any ideas as to why? I've forced a new connection and rebooted my box already.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:50 PM   #360
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Someone mentioned here that the update fixed the problem of "stop recording and delete group" not working. Mine still doesn't work correctly and never has. All it does is stop the recording and NOT delete anything. I have to then go into the folder and delete the show that I just stopped recording...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
The only "new" thing in that regard I have seen is the banner ad when paused, No "new stars" anywhere.
Yeah, I don't see anything like that either.