TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-29-2013, 07:37 AM   #61
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmowry View Post
Couldn't they catch rain water in all the barrels lying around the prison?
A quick back-of-the-envelope calculation suggests that you would need at least one barrel (~1 meter diameter, assuming 100cm rain per year) per person just to catch enough rain for drinking water, and that is not even accounting for periods of drought and evaporation losses. I don't think they have nearly enough barrels.

Maybe they could rig tarps around the barrels to catch more water, but maintaining the tarps (and keeping them from blowing away) would be a chore. They'd probably be better off trying to dig a well and/or building a water tower with a large funnel to catch water. Or maybe they could find some well within driving distance and make regular runs to fill barrels.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:34 AM   #62
fmowry

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
A quick back-of-the-envelope calculation suggests that you would need at least one barrel (~1 meter diameter, assuming 100cm rain per year) per person just to catch enough rain for drinking water, and that is not even accounting for periods of drought and evaporation losses. I don't think they have nearly enough barrels.

Maybe they could rig tarps around the barrels to catch more water, but maintaining the tarps (and keeping them from blowing away) would be a chore. They'd probably be better off trying to dig a well and/or building a water tower with a large funnel to catch water. Or maybe they could find some well within driving distance and make regular runs to fill barrels.
Seems to be a rural area. I'd imagine many houses have wells. Looks like the prison well is sucking water out of a swamp.

Or they could just go back to the warehouse and grab all the booze from the last episode. Plenty to drink.
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:41 AM   #63
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
I hope they don't fall for that.

Biggest trap in the post apocalypse scenario. Sure, those who arrive, survive...until dinnertime!!
Could it be the Governor version 2.0?
Old 10-29-2013, 08:57 AM   #64
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
Of course I fully expect somebody to chime in about what would still be powering it
Probably a solar powered laptop like in the remake of the movie "On the Beach".
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:38 AM   #65
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
somebody last week had posted in spoilers what was said on the radio.
Could the Governator be trying to lure them via radio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer88 View Post
Thought for sure trigger-happy Carl was the one who killed Karen and David. Or is he and Carol is protecting him?
Quote:
I thought the same. Although I did expect that it might inspire him to look for bloody fingerprints. Instead, he just deduced it was Carol from the way she was acting.
Carol's been acting strangely lately (putting herself at risk, sudden out bursts), and she worked in the general area of the crime scene.

But I like the theory that she might be taking the rap for Carl jr. and his itchy trigger finger.

Quote:
Eavestroughs capture rain from a much larger surface area and then drain into rain barrels, filling them up quickly in just one rainstorm. That's what we had growing up. In fact, several rain barrels would be overflowing after a storm.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:56 AM   #66
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post
Eavestroughs capture rain from a much larger surface area and then drain into rain barrels, filling them up quickly in just one rainstorm. That's what we had growing up. In fact, several rain barrels would be overflowing after a storm.
Does the prison even have rain gutters? And if it does, would you drink water that had flowed over the roof into a gutter before going into the barrel?
Old 10-29-2013, 12:10 PM   #67
fmowry

Quote:
Does the prison even have rain gutters? And if it does, would you drink water that had flowed over the roof into a gutter before going into the barrel?
They are drinking water from what appears to be a makeshift pump with a hose leading to a muddy stream or pond. I'd prefer roof water INSIDE the compound.
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:26 PM   #68
john4200

Quote:
They are drinking water from what appears to be a makeshift pump with a hose leading to a muddy stream or pond. I'd prefer roof water INSIDE the compound.
Yeah, but that makes no sense. Who would be stupid enough to drink stagnant water from a pond next to a bunch of decaying bodies? I just assumed it was bad writing and ignored it.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:32 PM   #69
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
I don't think anyone was suggesting that they should depend entirely on rain water for their water supply.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:41 PM   #70
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
If it's that or die, yes, I'd have no problem drinking that roof water.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:43 PM   #71
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Yeah, but that makes no sense. Who would be stupid enough to drink stagnant water from a pond next to a bunch of decaying bodies? I just assumed it was bad writing and ignored it.
Who said it was stagnant water?
Old 10-29-2013, 12:49 PM   #72
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
No way Carol is dragging 140+ lb bodies from a cell to outside the prison. It would be hard enough for her to drag the bodies in a wheelbarrow.
It may not be easy, but is most certainly is entirely possible for Carol to drag a couple of bodies a few dozen yards.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:02 PM   #73
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Who said it was stagnant water?
It certainly was not a fast flowing stream. It was in a low lying area that had little or no slope to it. Not good for drinking, especially considering the number of decaying bodies in and around it.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:04 PM   #74
john4200

Quote:
If it's that or die, yes, I'd have no problem drinking that roof water.
I'd be glad to let you drink the roof water (or the pond water), while I got my water from a nice well. More good water for me!
Old 10-29-2013, 01:28 PM   #75
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I'd be glad to let you drink the roof water (or the pond water), while I got my water from a nice well. More good water for me!
Enjoy!

Old 10-29-2013, 01:48 PM   #76
john4200

I said a nice well, not a contaminated well.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:54 PM   #77
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Where did you get the idea that when I said "If it's that or die" that getting well water would be another option?
Old 10-29-2013, 01:56 PM   #78
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
It certainly was not a fast flowing stream. It was in a low lying area that had little or no slope to it. Not good for drinking, especially considering the number of decaying bodies in and around it.
At least you admit that you have no information that says it is stagnant
Old 10-29-2013, 01:56 PM   #79
pmyers

I think people forget that it isn't easy to leave the prison and just grab whatever you want. Everytime you leave those gates your chance of death skyrockets. You would really have to weigh the benefit vs the risk of what it is you need.

Constantly going someplace else to transport water, would not be a risk I would want to take. That would be a last resort.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:06 PM   #80
john4200

Quote:
Where did you get the idea that when I said "If it's that or die" that getting well water would be another option?
Where did you get the idea that there was no other option?
Old 10-29-2013, 02:08 PM   #81
john4200

Quote:
At least you admit that you have no information that says it is stagnant
Of course there is information that it is stagnant. I just explained.

I'm not sure why you are so confused. Let me spell it out for you. It is a very bad idea to drink water from a low lying, flat area that has decaying bodies in it or near it.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:09 PM   #82
john4200

Quote:
I think people forget that it isn't easy to leave the prison and just grab whatever you want.
I don't think people forget that. It is rather obvious, wouldn't you say?

The problem is that the show is inconsistent. Having a supply of clean drinking water is essential. But that has not been discussed or shown, unless you count that ridiculous scene of Carol playing with a hose going to some bad water.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:01 PM   #83
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
As for FOUR people in a car not seeing thousands of walkers up ahead on the road. Pretty ridiculous. I could maybe buy one person alone in the car trying to adjust the radio but the other 3 only need to listen and not look at the radio. Wouldn't anyone living in fear of walkers daily have a heightened sense of what is around them?

Where is this taking place again? Couldn't they catch rain water in all the barrels lying around the prison? I guess hindsight and all that but if you have become conservative and grown your own food you would probably want to conserve water too and catch rainwater if possible.
The horde wasn't immediately viewable. The first walkers:

Then they came around the bend:

That is when they saw the horde and stopped:

And it looks like they are catching water. The downspout above the water barrel:

WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:01 PM   #84
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Where did you get the idea that there was no other option?

You posed the question about drinking roof water.
My response was that if it were a choice to die or drink roof water, I'd drink the water. You neglected the fact that I said I would if I have to, which implies no other options. So where I got the idea that there were no other options was from my response to you where I gave the conditions under which I would drink the roof water. And by the way, your original question did not include other options being available so there's another source for the idea that there were no other options.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:07 PM   #85
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Of course there is information that it is stagnant. I just explained.

I'm not sure why you are so confused. Let me spell it out for you. It is a very bad idea to drink water from a low lying, flat area that has decaying bodies in it or near it.
You said it's certainly not fast flowing.
FYI not fast flowing does not mean stagnant.

I didn't say or even imply that it was a good idea to drink the water, I simply questioned you calling it stagnant when you have no actual facts to back it up.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:10 PM   #86
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
IBut that has not been discussed or shown,
You mean like how they have not discussed or shown the water to be stagnant or not?
Old 10-29-2013, 03:22 PM   #87
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post

getreal- you've got to pay more attention!
On the Talking Dead, they said that Scott Wilson's actual leg was buried in the ground for the filming of that scene.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:21 PM   #88
cheesesteak
Meh.

I wonder why Carol would burn the bodies.

I'm surprised they haven't stockpiled SUVs. You don't need a super fast 0-60 speed. You just need speed, size and elbow room and some type of ram on the front end to bust through zombies.

All the bickering made reading this thread was a chore.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:28 PM   #89
LaurenLMHC

Quote:
Driving while not looking at the road is dumb. But it takes a really special kind of stupid to just stop the car and let a bunch of slow moving walkers completely surround the car.

Are the writers so out of ideas that they cannot come up with any plausible zombie scenarios that do not require people to act like complete morons?

Then we had that guy coughing up blood right in Hershel's face. Seriously? If the sick guy cannot cover his mouth, he could at least turn his head to the side. And Hershel could have turned his head aside too. And then Hershel thinks the smart thing to do is to wipe his face with the same dirty cloth that is supposed to be blocking pathogens from his nose and mouth?
I agree. When they do **** like this, it's like they don't RESPECT US, the viewers. Makes me angry
LaurenLMHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:29 PM   #90
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

This episode further underscored how stupid a crossbow is as Daryl's choice of zombie-killing weapon. He can get off one shot and then it's useless in close quarters. And either he has to go back and retrieve his bolts, or he quickly runs out. The only advantage it has over a gun is the lack of noise, but that's about it. I would think a pistol with a couple extra magazines, a katana sword, and a good-sized knife would be the best complement of weapons to carry in their situation.