TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-27-2013, 11:06 PM   #1
RusRus

ir iremote nstead of rf

I want to use my glo learning remote with my new coming soon Roamio. Do I have to do anything to begin using it as an IR remote to control my Roamio, TV and sound bar as I now do with my HD DVR
?
RusRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:17 PM   #2
moyekj

Don't need to do anything, will work fine out of the box.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:17 PM   #3
rainwater

No, the Roamio listens to IR and to a connected RF remote (at the same time if you want).
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:14 AM   #4
RusRus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
No, the Roamio listens to IR and to a connected RF remote (at the same time if you want).
But I don't ever plan on using the Roamio RF remote.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:09 AM   #5
markp99
TakoKichi

No problem. Just use the Glo and you'll be fine.

I had the same thought, but kind of like the new, smaller IR remote and actually made the switch, even with the Guide button in a new location.
markp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:22 AM   #6
aaronwt
HD Addict

The only bad thing about using an IR remote is that the IR reception on the Roamio is not that good. At least not when compared to previous TiVos. With Previous TiVos I could point the remote in any direction and the TiVo would receive it. Even pointed at the floor behind the couch. With the Roamio though, it has a narrow angle of reception.

I tried it out again with my Harmony One last night. I would not be able to use that remote on a regular basis because I needed to point it in the general direction of the Roamio. With previous TiVos I rarely pointed it toward the front of the room. But fortunately I also have silde remotes for my Roamio and Minis which are RF so I will continue to use those and only deal with IR as a last resort on my Roamio Pro.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:34 AM   #7
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The only bad thing about using an IR remote is that the IR reception on the Roamio is not that good. At least not when compared to previous TiVos. With Previous TiVos I could point the remote in any direction and the TiVo would receive it. Even pointed at the floor behind the couch. With the Roamio though, it has a narrow angle of reception.

I tried it out again with my Harmony One last night. I would not be able to use that remote on a regular basis because I needed to point it in the general direction of the Roamio. With previous TiVos I rarely pointed it toward the front of the room. But fortunately I also have silde remotes for my Roamio and Minis which are RF so I will continue to use those and only deal with IR as a last resort on my Roamio Pro.
I ended up ordering the Tivo IR adapter to expand the IR coverage using my Harmony remote. I really didn't want to always grab two remotes to turn my TV and receiver on and make sure they are in the correct more, and then the Tivo remote just to get decent coverage.

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:07 PM   #8
RusRus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
I ended up ordering the Tivo IR adapter to expand the IR coverage using my Harmony remote. I really didn't want to always grab two remotes to turn my TV and receiver on and make sure they are in the correct more, and then the Tivo remote just to get decent coverage.

-Kevin
If I understand correctly the Roamio remote will operate my TV through IR and operate my Roamio through RF at the same time.

Wouldn't this setup make using an IR extender unnecessary?
Old 11-18-2013, 10:16 PM   #9
nws alpine

Harmony would be needed if you rely on macros. I am dumping my Harmony one as the Roamio RF is great. I don't need to switch inputs anymore as I don't need a second source. The roamio is programed to turn on my TV and sound system with the power button.

I will be getting the slide pro eventually and move to Roamio remote to the Mini with the dongle.
nws alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:26 AM   #10
Icarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusRus View Post
If I understand correctly the Roamio remote will operate my TV through IR and operate my Roamio through RF at the same time.

That's correct.

-David
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:27 AM   #11
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusRus View Post

If you use the Roamio remote, yes. I said I was using a standard Harmony IR remote.

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote