TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-31-2013, 01:31 PM   #1
Jstkiddn

TiVo Premiere - Randomly pausing

Have TiVo Premiere that has begun to randomly freeze/pause during playback of recorded shows. When it happens, the remote does nothing. If you try to fast forward or rewind, the green progress bar comes up but nothing happens. Eventually it will start playing again on it's own. When it first began, it would do it every so often, but now the incidents are getting closer and closer together.

Very annoying to say the least.

What's your best guess....failing hard drive? If so, is this something someone like me (ie: no experience) can replace herself? Is Weaknees the way to go?

edit to add: Not sure if it makes any difference, but it does not seem to do it when watching live tv.

Last edited by Jstkiddn : 12-31-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Jstkiddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:48 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstkiddn View Post
Have TiVo Premiere that has begun to randomly freeze/pause during playback of recorded shows. When it happens, the remote does nothing. If you try to fast forward or rewind, the green progress bar comes up but nothing happens. Eventually it will start playing again on it's own. When it first began, it would do it every so often, but now the incidents are getting closer and closer together.

Very annoying to say the least.

What's your best guess....failing hard drive? If so, is this something someone like me (ie: no experience) can replace herself? Is Weaknees the way to go?

edit to add: Not sure if it makes any difference, but it does not seem to do it when watching live tv.
Do you happen to have any spare hard drives lying around?

At this point we don't know enough to be certain of a diagnosis or to justify spending any money.

But we can always experiment.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:24 AM   #3
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I'm leaning toward failing hard drive.

Do you have a PC readily available that you can open up to add hard drives to?

I think you might be capable of a DIY fix with the help of our step by step instructions.

If not, there is always Weaknees. You for sure should be capable of simply swapping the hard drive in the Tivo, but we would prefer to help you spend as little money as possible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 01-01-2014 at 08:31 AM.
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:23 AM   #4
Jstkiddn

Thanks for the help!

I do have a desktop PC, but I've never cracked it open to see if there are any empty "bays" or "slots" inside. (or whatever it is you call them...LOL) Is there normally?
Old 01-01-2014, 12:48 PM   #5
unitron

Quote:
Thanks for the help!

I do have a desktop PC, but I've never cracked it open to see if there are any empty "bays" or "slots" inside. (or whatever it is you call them...LOL) Is there normally?
What you'll be looking for is places on the motherboard to connect drives that aren't already in use, regardless of whether the case has room for the drives.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:20 PM   #6
Jstkiddn

Want to again thank you guys for the help. I've admittedly put the issue aside due to "life" and lots of end of year duties in our business, but tonight I believe the entire TiVo finally bit the dust.

I haven't watched that much tv the past few days, but my daughter was complaining tonight that everything she was trying to watch (recorded) was freezing and tiling. I decided to try a hard reboot and pulled the plug.....let it sit 3-4 minutes and then plugged it back in.

Two hours later we still have not made it past the "welcome...starting up" screen. Guessing the hard drive has finally bit the dust? Ugh!! First complete TiVo failure in ten years....guess that's not too bad.

I have not yet checked the inside of my desktop for an open slot due to convenience issues (I will have to crawl under desk to access) but will do that in the morning.

I'm super motivated at this point since I cannot even watch live tv. I have a couple of series 2 units around here somewhere....guess would be better than nothing up until I get this fixed?

Last edited by Jstkiddn : 01-09-2014 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:42 AM   #7
Jstkiddn

I think I may be hopeless.

I dragged the desktop out from under the desk opened it up to try to see if there was obvious spot to connect a second drive and it was immediately obvious to myself that I have no clue what I'm looking at.

I could take a picture I guess, but if I'm this ignorant of the inner workings of a computer, I might should just leave well enough alone.

edit to add: According to the Best Buy website, there is a TiVo Premiere on clearance at my local store for $54.99. I wonder if that might be my best/cheapest option?

Last edited by Jstkiddn : 01-10-2014 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:48 AM   #8
unitron

Quote:
I think I may be hopeless.

I dragged the desktop out from under the desk opened it up to try to see if there was obvious spot to connect a second drive and it was immediately obvious to myself that I have no clue what I'm looking at.

I could take a picture I guess, but if I'm this ignorant of the inner workings of a computer, I might should just leave well enough alone.

edit to add: According to the Best Buy website, there is a TiVo Premiere on clearance at my local store for $54.99. I wonder if that might be my best/cheapest option?

If you can't fix that Premiere, then the recordings are lost to you anyway, so in your particular case I'd say make sure you can sub that BB Premiere on a month by month no obligation basis and then get one.

Later on, we can worry about fixing your dead Premiere.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:37 PM   #9
Jstkiddn

Well, I was afraid the store inventory might be off and they did not have one in the store, BUT it did let me order one to be shipped to me with free shipping. I even had $10 in rewards certificates which brought it down to $44.99.

If the warehouse inventory is correct, I'm good to go. Crossing my fingers. I'll feel much better about things when I get a shipped status.

Wonder if I should have sprung for the 4 yr. Geek Squad protection plan for $19.99?
Old 01-10-2014, 01:57 PM   #10
unitron

Quote:
Well, I was afraid the store inventory might be off and they did not have one in the store, BUT it did let me order one to be shipped to me with free shipping. I even had $10 in rewards certificates which brought it down to $44.99.

If the warehouse inventory is correct, I'm good to go. Crossing my fingers. I'll feel much better about things when I get a shipped status.

Wonder if I should have sprung for the 4 yr. Geek Squad protection plan for $19.99?
Post that as a separate question, along the lines of "Which warranty plan to buy for new Premiere?" since there are other options, like Square Trade, about which others around here know a lot more than do I.