TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-04-2013, 01:31 PM   #1
abdu

Will wifi transfers between TiVO and PC still work if I stopped TiVo service?

I use the TiVO desktop app to transfer videos from my PC to TiVO. I am planning to stop my cable service. Therefore I don't need the TiVo service anymore but would still like to continue transferring the videos.

If I stop the TiVo service, will the desktop still work? I ask because I wanted to make sure that the desktop doesn't talk with the TiVo box to see if my service is active.. or does some kind of similar check?
abdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:39 PM   #2
ajwees41

nope

Tivo service required
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:23 PM   #3
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Good question. I assume that the answer is "no" simply because Tivo Desktop, kmttg, and pyTivo all require your MAK and/or your Tivo account login info. Maybe there is something else out there that doesn't.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:08 PM   #4
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
Good question. I assume that the answer is "no" simply because Tivo Desktop, kmttg, and pyTivo all require your MAK and/or your Tivo account login info. Maybe there is something else out there that doesn't.
There ain't...
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:12 PM   #5
abdu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post
nope

Tivo service required
Well this sucks. Either I have to pay the $12.95/month just to be able to transfer files or find a totally different box/solution.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:20 PM   #6
abdu

Are there other DVR's which do not depend on a service being active and I can transfer videos to them wirelessly? I don't want a PC based solution. Looking for a box that I can put in a cabinet in the living room.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:38 PM   #7
replaytv
deadbeat doofus

I read in a book Tivo about direct connecting a Tivo to another Tivo, by using a crossover ethernet cable, but don't know if that is possible without service, and don't know if that would do you any good.
A Tivo Series 2 DVR/DVD box with lifetime is $40 or so on ebay or craigslist or the thriftstore, so just buy one.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:16 PM   #8
Arcady
Stargate Fan

You can use a PS3 or XBOX and transfer files over the network to watch them.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:58 AM   #9
jcthorne

A Western Digital TV Live device would also do what you are asking, along with streaming from various services.

For use as just a media player, Tivo is not cost effective nor really the best solution. Why do you want to get rid of the Tivo? It works great for OTA broadcast tv. I cut the catv cord years ago and actually have added Tivos to our home. 3 now. Works for us.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:54 PM   #10
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdu View Post
I use the TiVO desktop app to transfer videos from my PC to TiVO. I am planning to stop my cable service. Therefore I don't need the TiVo service anymore but would still like to continue transferring the videos.

If I stop the TiVo service, will the desktop still work? I ask because I wanted to make sure that the desktop doesn't talk with the TiVo box to see if my service is active.. or does some kind of similar check?
Generally the stuff the TiVo does, as well as the license to use the TiVo software (not just Desktop, but the stuff on the TiVo box that's specific to it, that was written by TiVo, that is not Linux and not open source), is all considered part of the TiVo service, and it's the service for which a subscription pays.

What model TiVo do you have?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:46 PM   #11
RDaneel

This stinks... I had a S3 box sitting around that I just wired up to the old TV in the basement, hoping to use pyTiVo to transfer shows I recorded on the bedroom Premiere to the basement. I had no idea that a subscription was needed even for internal transfers. That's really too bad!

I have no idea if there is any workaround short of a subscription or something with lifetime service. This is not a critical use (TV in front of the treadmill), so I'm trying to avoid spending any more money...
RDaneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:52 AM   #12
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDaneel View Post
This stinks... I had a S3 box sitting around that I just wired up to the old TV in the basement, hoping to use pyTiVo to transfer shows I recorded on the bedroom Premiere to the basement. I had no idea that a subscription was needed even for internal transfers. That's really too bad!

I have no idea if there is any workaround short of a subscription or something with lifetime service. This is not a critical use (TV in front of the treadmill), so I'm trying to avoid spending any more money...
How long ago did you buy the Premiere?

If in the past year or so, you should have asked them for the $99 lifetime deal on the S3, assuming it had a subscription at the time you could threaten to cancel.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:29 AM   #13
RDaneel

Thanks, Unitron. I did get the lifetime, but that was on my other S3 box, which I sold to fund the Premiere purchase... This box is the "spare." Oh well... maybe I can pawn it off on someone and help it get some use.
RDaneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:15 PM   #14
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
To be clear, the main thing that requires the MAK is the TiVo's internal web server, which is the only way to get recordings off an unhacked TiVo. It's not a condition imposed by pyTivo or kmttg.

For transfers from the PC to the TiVo, there is actually a difference between pyTivo and TiVo Desktop: TD encrypts the connection, and requires the MAK to access its files. pyTivo doesn't, and can serve to TiVos with different MAKs from the same instance. But this still won't let you pull videos into an unsubscribed TiVo box, because TiVo Inc. just turns off that capability on the box.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote