TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-27-2013, 11:41 AM   #1
anthonymoody

How do you STOP a Netflix show and return to Netflix?

Title hopefully says it all. On ATV and PS3 when I hit the Stop button on my universal remote, the recording stops and I am returned to this Netflix menu screen for that show or episode. I can then navigate to another episode.

Watching NFLX on the TiVo doesn't seem to behave that way. I've had to hit the TiVo or List button to essentially quit TiVo, then log back in, which takes me to the Netflix menus.
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:56 AM   #2
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
Title hopefully says it all. On ATV and PS3 when I hit the Stop button on my universal remote, the recording stops and I am returned to this Netflix menu screen for that show or episode. I can then navigate to another episode.

Watching NFLX on the TiVo doesn't seem to behave that way. I've had to hit the TiVo or List button to essentially quit TiVo, then log back in, which takes me to the Netflix menus.
My Harmony Remote has a button labeled stop and matches a TiVo command stop, and does what you want, but I don't know what (if any) TiVo remote button does that. The old Humax with DVD player did have a stop button on its remote.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:00 PM   #3
jrtroo
User

Up, of course!
Old 10-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #4
moyekj

If you're using a new remote with "Back" button then use that. For remotes with A/B/C/D buttons I believe the "B" button acts as a "Back" button. For remotes without A/B/C/D I think there's also a back equivalent button that I forget what it is (maybe zoom).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:45 PM   #5
anthonymoody

Thanks all.

I taught the Back command to the Stop button on the Harmony. (Fwiw the Stop button was unassigned in whatever TiVo model I'd told harmony I have. I think a premiere).

I didn't like the way that worked when watching recorded shows because it obviously doesn't Stop that recording (like it does in Netflix) it just returns to the show's menu screen and keeps playing. So I then set up a sequence of Pause, Back, and assigned that to the Stop button.

That now works pretty much as expected. I'm going to try the Up button though. If that does the same thing in both TiVo recorded shows and Netflix then I may assign Up to the Stop button in place of the he sequence.

Edit: Up gives me the video format (eg 1080p) when watching a recorded show, so I guess my sequence stays.

Last edited by anthonymoody : 10-27-2013 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:48 PM   #6
rcase13

Why TiVo chooses not have a stop button is beyond me. I think it's the dumbest design ever. SO basically the only way to stop a show and go back to the Netflix menu is to pause it and hit the back button. Am I understanding this correctly?
rcase13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:50 PM   #7
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcase13 View Post
Why TiVo chooses not have a stop button is beyond me. I think it's the dumbest design ever. SO basically the only way to stop a show and go back to the Netflix menu is to pause it and hit the back button. Am I understanding this correctly?
Up arrow works too in Netflix. For YouTube though I think only the back button works, so if you use both for consistency it's best to teach yourself to use back button.

Old 10-27-2013, 02:21 PM   #8
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
No, you aren't reading the preceding posts correctly.
Back or zoom works fine for Netflix as a stop button.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:26 PM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

There is a TiVo stop command. The old S2 units with built in DVD players/burners have them. And if you teach it to a Harmony it works on a Roamio both in Netflix and when playing a show.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:08 AM   #10
anthonymoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
There is a TiVo stop command. The old S2 units with built in DVD players/burners have them. And if you teach it to a Harmony it works on a Roamio both in Netflix and when playing a show.
Is there a way to selectively grab that command from the Harmony database without having to delete my current TiVo (in the harmony set up) and replace it with an S2 (which I'd presumably still have to teach all of the later TiVo buttons)?
Old 10-28-2013, 01:01 PM   #11
Dan203
Super Moderator

My Harmony has the Stop button and I use the Premiere selection. Are you sure you don't have a stop option in the list of commands? I do use remote codes, 1 & 3, so maybe the stop button is only in those databases and not in the default 0 remote code?

There is a way to teach a Harmony a code from an old Pronto hex code, and you can probably find the stop button hex code somewhere online.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:00 PM   #12
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
If you're using a new remote with "Back" button then use that. For remotes with A/B/C/D buttons I believe the "B" button acts as a "Back" button. For remotes without A/B/C/D I think there's also a back equivalent button that I forget what it is (maybe zoom).
The Zoom button on the older remotes with A/B/C/D also acts as the back button.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:03 PM   #13
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
There is no need to hit pause. You just back out. It's the same way on many other devices with Netflix. This is not specific to TiVo.

When you go back to playing the title it will resume where you left off. Hitting pause is not needed.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:06 PM   #14
anthonymoody

Quote:
My Harmony has the Stop button and I use the Premiere selection. Are you sure you don't have a stop option in the list of commands? I do use remote codes, 1 & 3, so maybe the stop button is only in those databases and not in the default 0 remote code?

There is a way to teach a Harmony a code from an old Pronto hex code, and you can probably find the stop button hex code somewhere online.
There was no Stop command in the list. Didn't realize there were multiple code sets to choose from. Have to check but where does one select among the codes (you listed 1&3 as opposed to 0)? Do you recall off hand? That one is new to me...
Old 10-28-2013, 04:44 PM   #15
Dan203
Super Moderator

When it first asks you to press a few buttons on the remote so it can figure out what device you're using. I simply programmed a peanut for code 1 and then code 3. The Harmony software selected the codeset from that. I remember there being one button that was in one set but not the other (List, I think) I used another Harmony I had which was setup for a S3 and had the button to teach it to the software. I'm not sure where they get these commands. Maybe from other users who learn them in?

Back in the Pronto days it was easy to add a button by finding the hexcode online and copy/pasting it in. The Harmony software/website seems overly complicated sometimes when it comes to this stuff.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:58 PM   #16
hfcsyrup

Finally! Recently upgraded to P4 unit and could not figure out how to get back to netflix!

Now if only I could figure out how to move to the next program in a folder in NPL, my old series 3 units let me hit CH up/down to act as page up down.
hfcsyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:08 PM   #17
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfcsyrup View Post
Now if only I could figure out how to move to the next program in a folder in NPL, my old series 3 units let me hit CH up/down to act as page up down.
That's a shortcoming in the HDUI menus in general. TiVo took away that functionality such that none of the HDUI lists allow you to do that anymore.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:12 PM   #18
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
That's a shortcoming in the HDUI menus in general. TiVo took away that functionality such that none of the HDUI lists allow you to do that anymore.
Yep, my wife complains about this all the time.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:24 PM   #19
hfcsyrup

seriously, they really took away that basic functionality? how can the a, b, c, d buttons not do this? useless buttons
hfcsyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:10 PM   #20
tim1724

Quote:
Yep, my wife complains about this all the time.
Yeah, my girlfriend has been complaining about this all the time too. (We just switched from Series 3 to Roamio Pro, so the HDUI is all new to us.)
tim1724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:51 PM   #21
swerver

Quote:
Never used an s3. Are you saying you could click thru the contents of a folder without actually opening the folder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfcsyrup View Post
Also, now the ch +/- is used to page the whole now playing list, so did they have a different button for that on the s3?
swerver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:59 PM   #22
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerver View Post
Never used an s3. Are you saying you could click thru the contents of a folder without actually opening the folder?
The context I usually used it was as follows. Let's say in My Shows you have a show highlighted and then press "Select" to see all details of a show. In SDUI you could then press channel down to immediately jump to show details of the next show down in the list with 1 button press. With HDUI you have to back out of show details (Left arrow), scroll down to next entry (Down arrow) and then press Select.
Where I found this particularly useful was for non-auto record Wishlists when you use "upcoming" menu to view a large list of upcoming matches from which you want to choose a few to record. Very often you need to see detailed show info to decide whether to record or not. With SDUI I could just use channel up/down to quickly go through show details in the list. It's a lot more tedious and with 3x button presses now using HDUI.
There are other examples of such lists where this is useful as well, such as viewing ToDo list or History lists, etc.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:55 PM   #23
anthonymoody

Quote:
When it first asks you to press a few buttons on the remote so it can figure out what device you're using. I simply programmed a peanut for code 1 and then code 3. The Harmony software selected the codeset from that. I remember there being one button that was in one set but not the other (List, I think) I used another Harmony I had which was setup for a S3 and had the button to teach it to the software. I'm not sure where they get these commands. Maybe from other users who learn them in?

Back in the Pronto days it was easy to add a button by finding the hexcode online and copy/pasting it in. The Harmony software/website seems overly complicated sometimes when it comes to this stuff.
Huh. I don't think I was ever prompted to press remote buttons for any type of identification purposes. Does that happen if you try to set up a device without entering a model or something?

And agreed the harmony software isn't very well designed. I remember my Prontos fondly but gawd were they slow!
Old 10-29-2013, 01:39 PM   #24
Dan203
Super Moderator

Every time I set up a new device for my Harmony it asks me what it is then it has me press a few buttons on the original remote to verify. Like power, select, a number and something else. I think you can skip that step, but I always do it for TiVo because I know it needs this part to learn the remote code.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:59 PM   #25
anthonymoody

Quote:
Every time I set up a new device for my Harmony it asks me what it is then it has me press a few buttons on the original remote to verify. Like power, select, a number and something else. I think you can skip that step, but I always do it for TiVo because I know it needs this part to learn the remote code.
Wow I never noticed that. Maybe I'll set up a new TiVo (before I delete the current one) to see if it prompts me this way. Thanks.